Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Trek Madone 5.9 vs PinarelloQuattro Di2 vs Cervelo R5 red

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-12, 10:15 AM
Thira

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I am presently riding a Trek 5.2 madone 2008 with Dura Ace and ksyrium sls wheels.

Looking at the three above bikes. Really like the Di2Have always had a Trek, but am open to others. Really do not want a bike fabricated in China.

Thanks for the suggestions
Old 12-16-12, 10:19 AM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Bikes: Vaterland and Ragazzi

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 1,538 Times in 1,047 Posts
Buy them all. Your LBS owner will be happy and so will you.
Old 12-16-12, 11:34 AM
stapfam
Time for a change.

Location: 6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England

Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
I'd say try them all. Last year I tried quite a few bikes and although not in this price category- I did try a couple of exclusive top end bikes. Two stood out and was two of the ones you named and it was not the TREK.

Spike Milligan
Old 12-16-12, 11:38 AM
climberguy

Bikes: better than I deserve

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I can't comment on all of those but I have a Cervelo R3 that I like a lot. It seemed to me a bit lighter and quicker to accelerate than the Pinarellos in the same price range.
Old 12-16-12, 12:06 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
Then there is the Trek, Domane, the elastomer connection, at the top of the seat-tube
apparently makes even the Aluminum version feel less stiff, under your saddle.. .

want premium components, then the Carbon Fiber version will ship that way..
https://www.trekbikes.com/us/en/proje...iesteamedition

10+K$ ! .. and you can get Di2 or what ever you wish, pick paint color and all..

Last edited by fietsbob; 12-16-12 at 12:16 PM.
Old 12-16-12, 01:00 PM
GeorgeBMac

Bikes: 2012 Trek DS 8.5 all weather hybrid, 2008 LeMond Poprad cyclocross, 1992 Cannondale R500 roadbike

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Thira
.... Really do not want a bike fabricated in China.
Just curious: Why not?
... I can think of several reasons -- but for most people and most price ranges, there isn't a lot of choice.

And, at the price range you're talking, have you thought about a full custom build?
Old 12-16-12, 01:22 PM
Looigi

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 12 Posts
Very very few bike aren't fabricated in China/Taiwan. At this point, Taiwan arguably may be the best and most advanced at bike frame design and fabrication.
Old 12-16-12, 01:41 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
Or at least having so many brands built under contract there , they have recieved the Investment
money to have the equipment to do top quality work, if the contract stipulates it be so..

' Built' could also be, Local buildup at LBS. buy frame and fork, and all components,
then the bicycle can be Made in USA, of imported components..

Used to get Well Known Brand name Italian Frames , expecting the Retailer
to get out the Tap and Die set to do the final threading and reaming of the painted frame and fork. .
Old 12-16-12, 03:34 PM
gcottay

Bikes: Trice Q; Volae Century; TT 3.4

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Those are all three good bikes. You may get some good advice here but be sure to consult the world's leading expert on the right bike for you.

Yep, that's you.
Old 12-16-12, 04:10 PM
GeorgeBMac

Bikes: 2012 Trek DS 8.5 all weather hybrid, 2008 LeMond Poprad cyclocross, 1992 Cannondale R500 roadbike

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by fietsbob
Or at least having so many brands built under contract there , they have recieved the Investment
money to have the equipment to do top quality work, if the contract stipulates it be so..

' Built' could also be, Local buildup at LBS. buy frame and fork, and all components,
then the bicycle can be Made in USA, of imported components..

Used to get Well Known Brand name Italian Frames , expecting the Retailer
to get out the Tap and Die set to do the final threading and reaming of the painted frame and fork. .
Yes, but that was true back in 1992 when my Cannondale was "made" a little ways down the road in Bedford PA.

When was the last time derailers, shifters and brakes were made in the US?
Old 12-16-12, 06:55 PM
TiHabanero

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1746 Post(s)
Liked 1,376 Times in 721 Posts
Is the Madone frame made in the US or simply painted here allowing them to label it as "Made in the USA"? The Pinarello is a work horse and the one I would want if I were in a crash. Tough frames made to handle the demands of racing. I bet the Madone feels quicker and more lively.

There was a time not so long ago that Schwinns were purchased over foreign brands because they were made in the USA. I can still remember the looks of folks faces when I would show them the "Giant" sticker on the right dropout. Of course they were embarrassed by their ignorance, but that is because the Schwinn dealer neglected to educate them. Of course this was to his advantage!

Now the top frames in the industry are manufactured in China. They made good stuff.
Old 12-16-12, 07:26 PM
MinnMan

Bikes: 2022 Salsa Beargrease Carbon Deore 11, 2020 Salsa Warbird GRX 600, 2020 Canyon Ultimate CF SLX disc 9.0 Di2, 2020 Catrike Eola, 2016 Masi cxgr, 2011, Felt F3 Ltd, 2010 Trek 2.1, 2009 KHS Flite 220

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 4393 Post(s)
Liked 3,016 Times in 1,865 Posts
As far as I understand it Trek's OCLV carbon frames were made in Madison up until quite recently, but now they're made in Taiwan.

Trek vs. Pinarello vs. Cervelo is an interesting choice in that price range. There are easily a half dozen (or more) of other brands making bikes of similar quality, but I'm guessing that the OP is looking at these in part because of what is available at accessible LBS.
Old 12-16-12, 08:27 PM
MinnMan

Bikes: 2022 Salsa Beargrease Carbon Deore 11, 2020 Salsa Warbird GRX 600, 2020 Canyon Ultimate CF SLX disc 9.0 Di2, 2020 Catrike Eola, 2016 Masi cxgr, 2011, Felt F3 Ltd, 2010 Trek 2.1, 2009 KHS Flite 220

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 4393 Post(s)
Liked 3,016 Times in 1,865 Posts
Originally Posted by MinnMan
As far as I understand it Trek's OCLV carbon frames were made in Madison up until quite recently, but now they're made in Taiwan.

Trek vs. Pinarello vs. Cervelo is an interesting choice in that price range. There are easily a half dozen (or more) of other brands making bikes of similar quality, but I'm guessing that the OP is looking at these in part because of what is available at accessible LBS.
I just looked this up - it seems that the Madone 6 and Madone 7 series continue to be made in Wisconsin. At least as of this past summer. e.g.,

https://www.cyclingnews.com/features/...adone-7-series

I also didn't realize that there was such a thing as a Madone 7. And apparently there is now a Madone 2, which is Al. I'm guessing that this is just the 2.x series, renamed?
Old 12-16-12, 11:18 PM
Mobile 155

Bikes: 2013 Haro FL Comp 29er MTB.

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1470 Post(s)
Liked 45 Times in 35 Posts
I am presently riding a Trek 5.2 madone 2008 with Dura Ace and ksyrium sls wheels.

Looking at the three above bikes. Really like the Di2Have always had a Trek, but am open to others. Really do not want a bike fabricated in China.

Thanks for the suggestions
There are no bad bikes listed here. I was surprised you put the 5 series up against the other two rather than the 6 but I am sure you have your reasons. Ride all three and get what speaks to you. When I built my Tarmac I took a look at Di2 and ended up getting SRAM red. That is just me. A friend of mine has convinced me to go with handbuilts for wheels but the Mavic SLRs are good wheels.
Old 12-17-12, 12:42 AM
mconlonx

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 7148 Post(s)
Liked 134 Times in 92 Posts
Get a USA-made Trek Madone 6.2 w/ Dura Ace 7900, for only $400 more than the Made in Taiwan 5.9 with Di2 Ultegra.

With judicious downgrading through Trek's Project One program, you can get a 6.2 for about $5400 -- swap out your Ksyriums with the stock Bontrager Race wheels and you're in business...

(Full disclosure: I work for a Trek dealer...)
Old 12-17-12, 09:47 AM
Hermes
Version 7.0

Bikes: Too Many

Mentioned: 297 Post(s)
Quoted: 1341 Post(s)
Liked 2,482 Times in 1,457 Posts
When I restarted cycling in 2006, I purchased a Trek Madone 5.2 with Ultegra. I liked the LBS and the bike. The shop allowed me to take the bike for a weekend and swapped out whatever components I wanted. They had a great mechanic but later the mechanic left and the shop, IMO, declined in price and service.

My next bike was a Cervelo a 2008 Cervelo R3. I used another shop that offered great service and allowed me to test other bikes against the R3 such as the Look and Parlee. Each bike was set up the same with the same wheel set for the test rides which were over a weekend. I liked the ride of the R3 the best over rough terrain. It was marketed as the Paris Roubaix bike. I raced the R3 in a couple of rough road rode races and it performed well.

I upgraded my Cervelo to a 2012 R5 VWD last year with a Quarq power meter. The R5 is a much stiffer frame and produces a harsher ride at low speed. At higher speeds, the ride more controlled over rough roads and descends better. The 2006 R3 was too mushy, IMO.

However, with 23 mm tires at full pressure, I can tell when I run over an ant with the R5. Recently, I put on some 4000s 25mm tires and the ride is very nice. I dropped the tire pressure 10 psig. Plus the R5 can accommodate a 25 mm tire. I am not so sure about the other bikes.

I liked the Trek and would buy another but not from that shop. So what is available locally and support before and after the sale is, IMO, more important than where a bike from a major, reputable manufacturer, is made.

I did not test ride a Pinnarrello because there is no local dealer and I am spoiled and like them close to my house. I have found that no matter what I buy, it needs support and tweaking during the break in period and maintenance over time.

In addition, I have a Cervelo P2C trial bike and my wife has a Cervelop R5 and a Cervelo P3 track bike.

Old 12-17-12, 02:35 PM
jppe
Let's do a Century

Bikes: Cervelo R3 Disc, Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Lynskey GR260 Ultegra

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 651 Post(s)
Liked 879 Times in 408 Posts
I have bikes "similar" to all three of those you are looking at. I have a Trek 5900 with DA 7800, Pinarello Prince with Super Record 11sp and a very new Cervelo R3 with the new SRAM Red. I suspect that the Trek will be the "smoothest" riding off all 3---probably the most comfortable on longer rides (60-100 miles) but probably a little heavier than the Cervelo. The Pinarello might be the most solid and sturdiest feeling of the 3 and like someone else said is just a great all around workhouse. That one is my everyday bike. It's not the lightest nor does it eliminate the road buzz as much as the Trek but it is a close second.

The Cervelo R5 with Red is probably the lightest of the 3 (it's way lighter than my other two by a couple pounds). However I steered myself away from the R5 because of comments like Hermes and others I've heard from that indicate the R5 is even more on the harsher side. I can handle a harsher ride for a couple hours but it makes a huge difference over 100 miles or 5-7 hours. When you are feeling a lot more of the bumps over that time frame it just wears on you. Like Hermes I also had to decrease my tire pressure on the Cervelo and that seemed to help a lot.

I hear Di2 is a dream and would not allow myself to consider it but everyone I've heard from really enjoys how it shifts. If pure shifting is your thing and you like a terrific ride that setup on the Pinarello would be very nice. If you are buying these bikes new you might want to look at frame warranties. As I recall Pinarello comes out on the bottom in terms of frame warranty compared to Trek and Cervelo.

I've had 11ps for almost 3 years and I'm just not a fan of it---at least my Super Record. When it works it is just super but there has always been some nagging shifting issue I've had to deal with. On the other hand the Shimano has been flawless--just set it and ride with hardly any adjustment for a long, long time. Very smooth shifting as well. I've only ridden the SRAM Red for 3-4 rides and am really warming up to. It's louder shifting on the RD but the shifts have been there when I needed it.

If there is any way to do some long test rides on the 3 bikes that would tell you an awful lot. You really need to do 3-4+ hours to get a great feel for the bike and how it's going to ride. I've also found that the saddles, wheels and tires make a huge difference in how a bike rides so you probably need to keep that in mind as well.
Old 12-17-12, 02:46 PM
oldbobcat

Bikes: '80 Masi Gran Criterium, '12 Trek Madone, early '60s Frejus track

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 514 Post(s)
Liked 450 Times in 338 Posts
Originally Posted by MinnMan
I just looked this up - it seems that the Madone 6 and Madone 7 series continue to be made in Wisconsin. At least as of this past summer. e.g.,

https://www.cyclingnews.com/features/...adone-7-series

I also didn't realize that there was such a thing as a Madone 7. And apparently there is now a Madone 2, which is Al. I'm guessing that this is just the 2.x series, renamed?
Right. The 4s and 5s are made in Taiwan, the 3s in mainland China, and the 6s and 7s in Wisconsin. The 7 is new for '13. Higher modulus carbon and thinner walls, and Madones 5-7 all feature the new "aero" frame for 2013.

The Madone 2 is the new name for the old 2.x series. The frames have been updated and upgraded.

Pinarellos and Cervelos are made in Taiwan, too.
Old 12-17-12, 03:40 PM
volosong

Bikes: n + 1

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked 27 Times in 15 Posts
...Looking at the three above bikes. Really like the Di2Have always had a Trek, but am open to others. Really do not want a bike fabricated in China...
First of all, do you consider Formosa part of China? There is a difference. Personally, I would not consider a Chinese bike. They may be well and fine, I just don't want one. I have no issue with owning a Taiwanese bike. All of my bikes, except for my ancient Swiss Mondia were manufactured in Taiwan.

I have never ridden or owned a Cervelo. Just never had the opportunity. I do own a Madone and a Pinarello. Recently, I test rode a Domane and was this close, (as I hold up my thumb and index finger about a millimeter apart), from purchasing it. But I ended up getting another Pinarello instead. What does that tell you?

They are all good. You have to try them to see which you like the best.
Old 12-17-12, 05:03 PM
Hermes
Version 7.0

Bikes: Too Many

Mentioned: 297 Post(s)
Quoted: 1341 Post(s)
Liked 2,482 Times in 1,457 Posts
Originally Posted by jppe
I have bikes "similar" to all three of those you are looking at. I have a Trek 5900 with DA 7800, Pinarello Prince with Super Record 11sp and a very new Cervelo R3 with the new SRAM Red. I suspect that the Trek will be the "smoothest" riding off all 3---probably the most comfortable on longer rides (60-100 miles) but probably a little heavier than the Cervelo. The Pinarello might be the most solid and sturdiest feeling of the 3 and like someone else said is just a great all around workhouse. That one is my everyday bike. It's not the lightest nor does it eliminate the road buzz as much as the Trek but it is a close second.

The Cervelo R5 with Red is probably the lightest of the 3 (it's way lighter than my other two by a couple pounds).
However I steered myself away from the R5 because of comments like Hermes and others I've heard from that indicate the R5 is even more on the harsher side. I can handle a harsher ride for a couple hours but it makes a huge difference over 100 miles or 5-7 hours. When you are feeling a lot more of the bumps over that time frame it just wears on you. Like Hermes I also had to decrease my tire pressure on the Cervelo and that seemed to help a lot.

I hear Di2 is a dream and would not allow myself to consider it but everyone I've heard from really enjoys how it shifts. If pure shifting is your thing and you like a terrific ride that setup on the Pinarello would be very nice. If you are buying these bikes new you might want to look at frame warranties. As I recall Pinarello comes out on the bottom in terms of frame warranty compared to Trek and Cervelo.

I've had 11ps for almost 3 years and I'm just not a fan of it---at least my Super Record. When it works it is just super but there has always been some nagging shifting issue I've had to deal with. On the other hand the Shimano has been flawless--just set it and ride with hardly any adjustment for a long, long time. Very smooth shifting as well. I've only ridden the SRAM Red for 3-4 rides and am really warming up to. It's louder shifting on the RD but the shifts have been there when I needed it.

If there is any way to do some long test rides on the 3 bikes that would tell you an awful lot. You really need to do 3-4+ hours to get a great feel for the bike and how it's going to ride. I've also found that the saddles, wheels and tires make a huge difference in how a bike rides so you probably need to keep that in mind as well.
Typically, but not always, the higher end frames are stiffer which is driven by the rider who may purchase the bike. I suspect the top of the line Madone frame is going to provide a rider similar to the other high end bikes which is stiff. Speed and rider experience seem to drive the requirement for a stiffer frame. As I stated, my R5 is better than the R3 at higher speeds. So for a longer hilly century with rougher roads with some attacks along the way, the R5 will shine. And the rider who chooses that bike will appreciate the stiffness. Cruising along at slower speeds, IMO, the R5 will be a tougher day in the saddle.

Due to a frame problem with my 2006 Cervelo, Cervelo replaced the frame, crankset, fork and seat post at no charge so I have a 2012 R3 as well. The frame is a slightly heavier but its performance is similar to the R5. I have heavier wheels on the R3 which I think smooths out the ride a little.

So to your point, wheels make a difference and lighter may not be better. Lighter wheels climb better but definitely can change the handling and feel and it can go either way. YMMV
Old 01-02-13, 01:38 AM
JimF22003

Bikes: 2008 Trek Madone 5.5, 2009 Cervelo R3SL tdf edition, Cervelo R5 with Di2

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Way late on this, but wanted to confirm some of the above. I have an R3SL and and R5. The R5 is a good deal harsher with regard to road buzz, but is still an amazingly fun bike to ride. I use Zipp 101s on the R5, and run about 95 psi on the tires, and that seems to help a bit.
Old 01-02-13, 12:07 PM
jppe
Let's do a Century

Bikes: Cervelo R3 Disc, Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Lynskey GR260 Ultegra

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 651 Post(s)
Liked 879 Times in 408 Posts
Thira-have you had a chance to ride any of the choices or possibly already made a purchase?
Old 01-08-13, 06:08 PM
Thira

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by jppe
Thira-have you had a chance to ride any of the choices or possibly already made a purchase?
I really haven't. Out of town for the holidays, and winter is my busy season. However, I have had a couple of great rides on my Trek 5200, ableit it the 2008 model with Dura Ace. It is a great bike, but from the spins I have had on the others the newer biker certainly ride different.

I'll let you know when I do.
Old 01-27-13, 10:50 PM
kevboy

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm also looking at the R5. I'm currently riding a 2009 Orbea Orca w/ SRAM Red and Zipp 404's (23c at 100psi). I test rode an R3 Ultegra this weekend and it felt like it dampened the road a lot more than my Orca. I called around to see if any shops in my area had an R5 to test ride but no one did. My LBS quoted me on a good price for the R5 w/ SRAM Red but I'm on the fence about it.
Old 01-30-13, 03:01 PM
Thira

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by kevboy
I'm also looking at the R5. I'm currently riding a 2009 Orbea Orca w/ SRAM Red and Zipp 404's (23c at 100psi). I test rode an R3 Ultegra this weekend and it felt like it dampened the road a lot more than my Orca. I called around to see if any shops in my area had an R5 to test ride but no one did. My LBS quoted me on a good price for the R5 w/ SRAM Red but I'm on the fence about it.

Going to get measured Sat. Will reride Pinarello Quartro, Cervello R3 & R5, and Trek 5.9 and 6.2. Almost certain Trek is for me. Have had three in the past and never had an issue and have always been comfortable. Question is the H! or H2 fit. Trek shop says my bike is an H1 fit, Trek web site says most go now with H2 fit. Mostly recreational rider, doing 150 miles a week. Any experience?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.