Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Making my Ti bike a "trophy bike", deep cleaning, long-term storage, lessons learned

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Making my Ti bike a "trophy bike", deep cleaning, long-term storage, lessons learned

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-20, 07:28 PM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 354 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20808 Post(s)
Liked 9,450 Times in 4,668 Posts
Originally Posted by fuji_owner
Wrong. Observation. Plain and simple. Or I can say the same thing about your ranting on my post. "Confirmation bias".
​​​​​​ Oh. So you understand neither, "confirmation bias," nor "rant." Cool.
Likes For WhyFi:
Old 05-29-20, 07:41 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Quoted: 18403 Post(s)
Liked 15,495 Times in 7,317 Posts
Received my trophy ti spork today. Going to box it up and entomb it in the plastic storage bin that holds a lot of my bike touring do dads.

Likes For indyfabz:
Old 05-29-20, 08:02 PM
noodle soup

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4717 Post(s)
Liked 1,882 Times in 998 Posts
Originally Posted by datlas
The Goofy Glasses one?? That’s BF Gold, Jerry! GOLD!
I love the "Goodly Flex" one.

Likes For noodle soup:
Old 05-29-20, 08:03 PM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3657 Post(s)
Liked 5,393 Times in 2,738 Posts
Spork definitely too nice to use. Would just be wrong having that thing rattling around in a pannier for thousands of miles....

Last edited by shelbyfv; 05-29-20 at 08:13 PM.
Old 05-29-20, 08:17 PM
noodle soup

Time to lock this thread down before someone(probably me) drinks a little too much bourbon, and takes off the gloves
Likes For noodle soup:
Old 05-29-20, 08:21 PM
GlennR
On Your Left

Bikes: Trek Emonda SLR, Sram eTap, Zipp 303

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 3004 Post(s)
Liked 2,433 Times in 1,187 Posts
Originally Posted by noodle soup
drinks a little too much bourbon
Just another Friday night?
Old 05-29-20, 08:23 PM
noodle soup

Originally Posted by GlennR
just another Covid-19 Friday night.

I wouldn't be home if it was a normal Friday night.
Likes For noodle soup:
Old 05-29-20, 09:01 PM
Rogerogeroge

Bikes: Trek Emonda SLR 9; Moots Routt YBB; Trek Fuel EX8+; LeMond Poprad

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 178 Post(s)
Liked 177 Times in 101 Posts
Originally Posted by indyfabz
Received my trophy ti spork today. Going to box it up and entomb it in the plastic storage bin that holds a lot of my bike touring do dads.

You should go with disposable plastic, you'll save a couple of grams. Plus you won't have to **** a hillside of earth to procure the raw materials needed to produce. The plastic option will use a drop of crude, which is negatively priced these days.
Likes For Rogerogeroge:
Old 05-29-20, 09:03 PM
Rogerogeroge

If they shaped the non-spork end to function as a tire lever, then that would be cool.
Old 05-29-20, 09:20 PM
SethAZ 

Bikes: 2018 Lynskey R260, 2005 Diamondback 29er, 2003 Trek 2300

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 564 Post(s)
Liked 334 Times in 182 Posts
Originally Posted by Rogerogeroge
If they shaped the non-spork end to function as a tire lever, then that would be cool.
You and your buddy could hook your two ti sporks together and they function as a chain link pliers as well. Just think of the possibilities.
Old 05-29-20, 09:26 PM
SethAZ 

Originally Posted by Dominae
The only thread that might be more stupid was timtak’s
You should look up two threads by one guy who was either way far out on the spectrum or else a Grandmaster Ninja-level troll. One was about him using a hammer and screwdrivers to break a chain because he insisted it would be a waste of money to spend $5 on a chain-breaking tool that he would only use once. It went downhill from there. Oh, and broke one of the screwdrivers. The other thread from that dude was the one where he announced that he'd discovered that lubricating bike chains (at all) was entirely unnecessary, non-beneficial, and how astounded he was that he was seemingly the only one in the world who'd realized this. These were epic threads, and you can see them resurrected from time to time every couple years just for the lulz.
Old 05-29-20, 09:26 PM
noodle soup

Originally Posted by GlennR
Just for you.

Old 05-29-20, 09:31 PM
Rogerogeroge

Originally Posted by SethAZ
You and your buddy could hook your two ti sporks together and they function as a chain link pliers as well. Just think of the possibilities.
Are you suggesting that we should spoon? Or that we should spork?
Old 05-29-20, 09:36 PM
SethAZ 

Are you suggesting that we should spoon? Or that we should spork?
This response is crying out for a witty comeback. Unfortunately I'm drawing a blank, however. I'm gonna go out on a limb, take a walk on the wild side if you will, and say spork.
Old 05-29-20, 10:39 PM
Russ Roth

Bikes: 2010 Carrera Volans, 2015 C-Dale Trail 2sl, 2017 Raleigh Rush Hour, 2017 Blue Proseccio, 1992 Giant Perigee, 80s Gitane Rallye Tandem

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1079 Post(s)
Liked 1,019 Times in 719 Posts
Originally Posted by DrIsotope
While I understand that everybody has their own reasons and methods for doing things, this thread is nonetheless mind-boggling. Favorite bike ever but just 5k miles on it? I rode my first bike until I broke the frame. The bike that replaced it will pass 20,000 miles long before its 4th birthday.

If I had a custom frame, that thing would never lose sight of the road-- it would be a slim shade away from the Ship of Theseus, because at some point only the original frame would remain.
I've got your ship in the basement, not a single thing on the bike is truly original, fork's been replaced and the frame rewelded twice the first time staying half original paint and half gray primer, it finally got a repaint after the last repair job. At least the main triangle is original, and while it might be outdated by 27 years it was raced 3 times for cross last year and once by the neighbor in a crit. It's my trophy, nothing special just the first bike I bought with mower money.

Originally Posted by fuji_owner
If you read my first post, I said I want to explore wider tires and gravel bike types, disc brakes, subcompact chainrings. This doesn't mean I don't want to have a bike that is pure road bike with skinny tires, full size chainrings, no suspension. So I'm giving the road bike a break, but keeping it safe in the meantime.
Cool, I get the wanting a different bike, that's why I have 8 bikes hanging side by side waiting to decide what I feel like riding for the day, couldn't imagine packing one away for the day I might ride it since only the track bike has sat more then 2 weeks without being ridden but then they just opened the track on tues so I doubt 2 more weeks will pass without it getting some miles piled on.

Originally Posted by indyfabz
I have one of those bins, does make it easier to toss all the equipment in the car and drive off without having to get it all together first. My ti sporks aren't as cool though.

You should go with disposable plastic, you'll save a couple of grams. Plus you won't have to **** a hillside of earth to procure the raw materials needed to produce. The plastic option will use a drop of crude, which is negatively priced these days.
This year I plan to do an 8 day tour which will require 8 campside breakfasts that will use a spork, 8 lunches of which a couple will need utensils, and several dinners that will need utensils; so I could use at least a dozen pieces of plastic that each use a little more then a drop of oil between extraction, transportation, and processing and then sit in the ground for the next thousand+ years or I can wash the ti one which has already been used previously sparing the use of more plastic and when I'm done it'll be put back in the camping bin to pull out for a possible second camping trip this year and/or next year's tour. How is plastic a good idea?
Old 05-29-20, 10:59 PM
Rogerogeroge

Originally Posted by Russ Roth
This year I plan to do an 8 day tour which will require 8 campside breakfasts that will use a spork, 8 lunches of which a couple will need utensils, and several dinners that will need utensils; so I could use at least a dozen pieces of plastic that each use a little more then a drop of oil between extraction, transportation, and processing and then sit in the ground for the next thousand+ years or I can wash the ti one which has already been used previously sparing the use of more plastic and when I'm done it'll be put back in the camping bin to pull out for a possible second camping trip this year and/or next year's tour. How is plastic a good idea?
But if crude oil is negatively priced, you'll make even more $$$!!! Yeah, for multi-use, you threw my argument out the window, but my comments were tongue-in-cheek anyway.
Old 05-30-20, 02:08 AM
guadzilla
Pointy Helmet Tribe

Bikes: R5, Allez Sprint, Shiv

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 519 Post(s)
Liked 627 Times in 295 Posts
Not sure why things are getting to ugly or why some people are going out of their way to crap on the guy's bike.

I also wouldnt pack it away, but if the OP wants to do that for now and set it aside for some later time, and it makes him happy, more power to him.

What, a group that spends stupid amounts of money on something that is 50gm lighter or 3W more aero in test conditions is suddenly a bastion of rational behavior? GMAFB.
Likes For guadzilla:
Old 05-30-20, 03:41 AM
indyfabz

I only bought it to surpass the minimum order amount to qualify for free shipping, which produced a net savings to me. If I have learned anything from BF, if I paid more than I had to I got ripped off.

And if you’ve ever spent weeks on the road you’d know that disposable utensils tend to not hold up well over time. And I already have a Lexan spoon that’s my go-to. Figured a spork would be useful for those times when the only pasta I can find in a small grocery store is spaghetti.
Old 05-30-20, 03:50 AM
indyfabz

Originally Posted by Bah Humbug
I'm pretty sure my "what bike should I not buy next" thread was dumber than this. I hope it was at least also more entertaining.
Was that the one about selling a ti bike? If so, I’m seeing some similarities here, if you catch my drift.
Old 05-30-20, 03:57 AM
nomadmax 

Mentioned: 93 Post(s)
Quoted: 1104 Post(s)
Liked 1,824 Times in 878 Posts
someone give me the Cliff's notes.
He has a bicycle that he really, really likes; so in order to save it, he packed it up in a box.

OP, it's your bike and if that's what make you happy then by all means that's exactly what you should do. However, my "forever bikes" have paint nicks, bruises and clear signs of wear from enjoying them. Each one of them has special memories of the things we did together. If you asked me to pick one bike it'd be my 7-Eleven Merckx Corsa Extra; it's sitting here in my office at this very moment. Just last year on two different Bike Forums outings, that bike and I rode down a dirt bike path with Chromemoly going as fast as we could and later that year bombing down bumpy descents with Robbietunes like synchronized swimmers.

I can have whatever happens to the bike repaired with enough money. What I can't do is create memories that I'll take to my grave if it's packed away in a box for safekeeping.
Likes For nomadmax:
Old 05-30-20, 04:33 AM
Ghazmh

Bikes: 2022 Salsa Beargrease, 2020 Seven Evergreen, 2019 Honey Allroads Ti, 2018 Seven Redsky XX, 2017 Trek Boon 7, 2014 Trek 520

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 696 Post(s)
Liked 910 Times in 487 Posts
Wow, 6 pages. I’m impressed!
Old 05-30-20, 06:24 AM
Russ Roth

Bikes: 2010 Carrera Volans, 2015 C-Dale Trail 2sl, 2017 Raleigh Rush Hour, 2017 Blue Proseccio, 1992 Giant Perigee, 80s Gitane Rallye Tandem

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1079 Post(s)
Liked 1,019 Times in 719 Posts
But if crude oil is negatively priced, you'll make even more $$$!!!
Not with the stocks I have
Old 05-30-20, 06:43 AM
San Rensho 

Quoted: 383 Post(s)
Liked 133 Times in 91 Posts
To the o p, I understand your sentiment of wanting to preserve a trophy bike, I have a 3rensho that one of these years I'm going to strip and repaint in the original colors, but then it is going to become a wall hanger, as others here have recommended. Put the bike In Your Den or man cave and look at it every day. As long as the bikes indoors, it will last forever. Dust It Off once a year and it will be good as new.

1980 3Rensho-- 1975 Raleigh Sprite 3spd
1990s Raleigh M20 MTB--2007 Windsor Hour (track)
1988 Ducati 750 F1
Old 05-30-20, 07:11 AM
noodle soup

Originally Posted by WhyFi
​​​​​​ Oh. So you understand neither, "confirmation bias," nor "rant." Cool.
He also doesn't understand what a trophy is.
Old 05-30-20, 07:20 AM
Greiselman
longtime noob

Bikes: 2018 Trek Domane SL 6 // 1999 Trek 5000 // Burley Encore X

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked 63 Times in 28 Posts
This is a stupid thread, but it doesn’t even sniff the top 10.
I'd be interested in hearing more about your top 10 if this one doesn't make the cut. This one already make me want to carve out my eyeballs with a dull spoon... can't wait to see what else is out there.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.