Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Charlie Horses--Prevention and Likelihood of Recurrences

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Old 07-02-19, 08:08 PM
Payton1221

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

I have an 11 mile loop that I ride most evenings, and after being 4.79 miles into it I had to stop pedaling when struck by a charlie horse in my calf After standing still for a minute or so, I started off again slowly but managed to ride the remaining portion without any recurrences. Two questions:

1) Any tips for avoiding a charlie horse in the first place? My diet today was keto-like (I like a lot of keto-friendly foods, but I still eat carbs) but I also ate an apple at 3:00 and two small bananas ~90 minutes before tonight's ride.

2) For those who have suffered charlie horses during a ride, how likely have you found it for a second or third episode to occur?
Old 07-02-19, 08:33 PM
gringomojado

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 200 Post(s)
Liked 136 Times in 86 Posts
Originally Posted by Payton1221
I have an 11 mile loop that I ride most evenings, and after being 4.79 miles into it I had to stop pedaling when struck by a charlie horse in my calf After standing still for a minute or so, I started off again slowly but managed to ride the remaining portion without any recurrences. Two questions:

1) Any tips for avoiding a charlie horse in the first place? My diet today was keto-like (I like a lot of keto-friendly foods, but I still eat carbs) but I also ate an apple at 3:00 and two small bananas ~90 minutes before tonight's ride.

2) For those who have suffered charlie horses during a ride, how likely have you found it for a second or third episode to occur?
Increase Magnesium and potassium intake consider supplementation("sneak up on the magnesium, it can loosen bowels). Charlies are more common in hot weather. Also hydrate. Watch the fad diets
Likes For gringomojado:
Old 07-02-19, 08:35 PM
eja_ bottecchia

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1020 Post(s)
Liked 463 Times in 293 Posts
Originally Posted by gringomojado
Increase Magnesium and potassium intake consider supplementation("sneak up on the magnesium, it can loosen bowels). Charlies are more common in hot weather. Also hydrate. Watch the fad diets
This!
Old 07-02-19, 08:40 PM
HerrKaLeun

Bikes: Giant Toughroad SLR1 and Motobecane Sturgis NX

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 900 Post(s)
Liked 231 Times in 168 Posts
Eating Keto and carbs sounds a lot like just eating a lot of everything. Or like a vegetarian who also eats meat. Keto is based on near absence of carbs, so adding bananas and apples etc. makes it not keto.

Eat what you want, but don't call it keto if it isn't.

Last edited by HerrKaLeun; 07-02-19 at 10:21 PM.
Old 07-02-19, 09:15 PM
spelger

Bikes: yes, i have one

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1134 Post(s)
Liked 1,179 Times in 686 Posts
Had this occur once or twice during a computrainer class. Asked about it an was told to make sure my breathing was deep. Seems to have helped.
Old 07-03-19, 01:15 AM
BirdsBikeBinocs

Bikes: Giant Talon 29 - Specialized Diverge E5 Comp

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 283 Post(s)
Liked 45 Times in 33 Posts
Potassium and water. Like he said^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Old 07-03-19, 02:03 AM
jgwilliams

Bikes: Dolan Tuono 105 Di2, custom built 653 and 531 bikes with frames by Barry Witcomb, Sonder Dial XT mountain bike and a Brompton folding bike.

Quoted: 298 Post(s)
Liked 141 Times in 100 Posts
I had to look up what a charley horse was. I guess it's what we would just call a cramp. As they say, two nations divided by a common language.
Likes For jgwilliams:
Old 07-03-19, 05:14 AM
Rajflyboy
Banned.

Bikes: Orbea

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 917 Post(s)
Liked 205 Times in 170 Posts
Originally Posted by jgwilliams
I had to look up what a charley horse was. I guess it's what we would just call a cramp. As they say, two nations divided by a common language.
Muscle spasm
Old 07-03-19, 05:21 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,095 Times in 5,053 Posts
There's absolutely no evidence that electrolytes do anything to avoid cramps, and in any event, you're getting them just a few miles into a ride which is way too soon for sweating to cause an electrolyte imbalance.

It's a one-time occurrence so far, and it may never recur as you strengthen the muscle. Even if it does recur, you handled it the way you're supposed to. I get a few of these a year, almost always in the spring as I'm ramping up my ride length, and once I've done that, they generally stop. I don't get them at all in the summer and fall, and I'm riding hundreds of miles per week.

BTW, the scientific evidence is clear that keto diets are really unhealthy. They increase mortality from all causes. You appear to be describing a low-carb diet, which is quite different.

If you need to change your diet for other reasons, do so, but a one-time cramp is not usually a harbinger of more problems.

Electrolyte supplementation is generally a scam. You're almost certainly taking in plenty in your food. Just be sure your diet includes enough fresh produce. Keto diets work against that, which is one of the main reasons they suck.
Old 07-03-19, 06:15 AM
HerrKaLeun

Bikes: Giant Toughroad SLR1 and Motobecane Sturgis NX

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 900 Post(s)
Liked 231 Times in 168 Posts
Originally Posted by BirdsBikeBinocs
Potassium and water. Like he said^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
I recently started mixing some "creme of tartar", which has potassium and Morton lite salt (sodium and potassium) in my workout water. Like 3g of creme and 1g of salt gives 700mg of potassium

All the ready electrolyte mixes contain very little potassium, and often sugar and cost a lot. So that is my ghetto version.

BTW. I track my food and specifically pick vegetables that are very high in potassium and still don't get my 4700mg daily. One has to eat a LOT of veggies to get all potassium. So potassium is my only supplement. It also gives my water some taste. (I only drink tap water and some coffee, no other type of drinks)
Likes For HerrKaLeun:
Old 07-03-19, 06:17 AM
gringomojado

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 200 Post(s)
Liked 136 Times in 86 Posts
Happens in different regions of same countries
gm
Old 07-03-19, 06:29 AM
eja_ bottecchia

Pickle juice is supposed to help prevent muscle cramps.

https://www.picklepower.com/the-prod...entific-study/

But I suppose that there tastier alternatives.
Old 07-03-19, 06:30 AM
jgwilliams

Bikes: Dolan Tuono 105 Di2, custom built 653 and 531 bikes with frames by Barry Witcomb, Sonder Dial XT mountain bike and a Brompton folding bike.

Originally Posted by gringomojado
Happens in different regions of same countries
gm
This is true, but not to the same extent. If a man were to go out in public in England wearing pants and suspenders he'd be likely arrested. And describing something as a 'fanny pack' would be considered quite rude over here. I'm sure you could come up with plenty of other examples.

On the other hand, charley horse (that's how it's spelt in Wikipedia) sounds like there's a story behind the name. Does anyone know what it is?
Old 07-03-19, 06:33 AM
Lemond1985
Sophomore Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1628 Post(s)
Liked 1,057 Times in 631 Posts
When I was in school, the term "Charley horse" referred to the pain resulting from getting kicked or kneed in the quadricep. It was part of the classic hazing ritual.

Some kid would walk up to you and say "You look like a farmer, but you don't have any animals. How about a nice Charley horse?" as the kneed you really hard in the quad. Then they'd say, "You don't have any land, how about some 'ache-ers'?" as they'd punch you sharply and repeatedly on the shoulder.

I'm sure the routine continued on from there (let's face it, schoolyard bullies can be quite creative) but I never saw / experienced the full version.
Old 07-03-19, 06:38 AM
eja_ bottecchia

This is true, but not to the same extent. If a man were to go out in public in England wearing pants and suspenders he'd be likely arrested. And describing something as a 'fanny pack' would be considered quite rude over here. I'm sure you could come up with plenty of other examples.

On the other hand, charley horse (that's how it's spelt in Wikipedia) sounds like there's a story behind the name. Does anyone know what it is?
Scroll down to near the bottom of the article for a possible explanation for the name.

BTW, get it right, it is “spelled” not “spelt” and we ride on tires, not tyres.

Just kidding mate, I love the differences in our common language.

https://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/312241.php
Old 07-03-19, 06:52 AM
jgwilliams

Originally Posted by eja_ bottecchia
BTW, get it right, it is “spelled” not “spelt” and we ride on tires, not tyres.
Just kidding mate, I love the differences in our common language.
You're quite right about 'spelled' - I knew something wasn't right as I wrote it - but it's definitely 'tyres', not 'tires'. That way we can't have any lame jokes about bikes being two tired to stand up.
Likes For jgwilliams:
Old 07-03-19, 07:01 AM
eja_ bottecchia

You're quite right about 'spelled' - I knew something wasn't right as I wrote it - but it's definitely 'tyres', not 'tires'. That way we can't have any lame jokes about bikes being two tired to stand up.
Good one!
Old 07-03-19, 07:26 AM
MoAlpha
• —

Bikes: Shmikes

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 10147 Post(s)
Liked 5,840 Times in 3,144 Posts
Originally Posted by livedarklions
There's absolutely no evidence that electrolytes do anything to avoid cramps.
True and it has been looked for extensively. Exercise-related cramps are poorly understood and most are likely neurogenic, i.e., originating in spinal reflex loops, not muscle. They tend to get better with conditioning.
Old 07-03-19, 07:44 AM
Payton1221

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Thanks for all of the replies. I do supplement with magnesium, and I've just discovered my multi-vitamin has a whopping 2% RDA Although I do eat bananas, I probably am deficient in potassium and will start supplementing.

Regarding the foods that I eat, I mentioned the "keto-like" foods that I ate mostly yesterday in case it might have contributed to the Charlie horse. I am not on a restricted calorie diet of any sort (I maintain the same weight essentially all year) and I'm definitely eating "keto," but I do eat fewer carbs than most.
Old 07-03-19, 07:51 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Originally Posted by HerrKaLeun
I recently started mixing some "creme of tartar", which has potassium and Morton lite salt (sodium and potassium) in my workout water. Like 3g of creme and 1g of salt gives 700mg of potassium

All the ready electrolyte mixes contain very little potassium, and often sugar and cost a lot. So that is my ghetto version.

BTW. I track my food and specifically pick vegetables that are very high in potassium and still don't get my 4700mg daily. One has to eat a LOT of veggies to get all potassium. So potassium is my only supplement. It also gives my water some taste. (I only drink tap water and some coffee, no other type of drinks)
Careful here, potassium overdose is a really unpleasant thing. Supplements generally have a limit of 100mg for good reasons.
Old 07-03-19, 07:56 AM
Machka 
In Real Life

Bikes: Lots

Mentioned: 141 Post(s)
Quoted: 3203 Post(s)
Liked 596 Times in 329 Posts
Originally Posted by Payton1221

You got a calf cramp after 4.79 miles on the bicycle?

I'd be checking your setup and pedalling style.

Are you able to post a photo of your bicycle and preferably of you on or at least next to the bicycle?
Likes For Machka:
Old 07-03-19, 08:07 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Originally Posted by MoAlpha
True and it has been looked for extensively. Exercise-related cramps are poorly understood and most are likely neurogenic, i.e., originating in spinal reflex loops, not muscle. They tend to get better with conditioning.
The thing about exercise-related cramps is they're most likely going to go away completely just as fast as they come on regardless of what you do, so all the folk-cures of cramping are most likely just artifacts of the post-hoc fallacy.

"I took supplements and the cramps went away, so supplements prevent cramps" is a classic example. The cramps would have gone away if you ate Elmer's glue or chanted "no more cramps" also.

No matter how many times blood testing shows no relationship between cramps and electrolytes, people are going to stick to this story.
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 07-03-19, 08:11 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Originally Posted by Machka

Are you able to post a photo of your bicycle and preferably of you on or at least next to the bicycle?
Keep in mind, though, that this was a one-time event. For all we know, it might have been caused by something he was doing before he got on the bike combined with the 4.79 miles.

Cramps are pretty random--one time is hardly reason to pull the fire alarm and make a bunch of changes.
Old 07-03-19, 08:14 AM
DrIsotope
Non omnino gravis

Bikes: Nekobasu, Pandicorn, Lakitu

Mentioned: 119 Post(s)
Quoted: 4905 Post(s)
Liked 1,731 Times in 958 Posts
Originally Posted by Machka

This right here. I've had a tricky right calf for... years. Decades. It will just sometimes cramp up while I'm sitting on the sofa, or asleep in bed. But on a bike? It last reared up on me at mile 95 of a century. The time before that was well over 100º, and 60+ miles in, during a long climb.

Locking up a muscle at the 5 mile mark indicates something other than nutrition or hydration. One of my sisters could get cramps from simply looking at a bicycle, and now drinks pickle juice on every ride. Seems to work for her.
Old 07-03-19, 08:16 AM
Lemond1985
Sophomore Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1628 Post(s)
Liked 1,057 Times in 631 Posts
I had some quad cramping few weeks ago, tried the TUMS and pickle juice, no effect. Mine came on suddenly at the beginning of the ride, on a bike whose fit I was in the process of adjusting, and the seat was too far forward, IIRC. I had walked up and down 4 flights of stairs earlier that day, and suspect that had something to do with the cramping (especially walking down the stairs).

Pain originated in the areas circled in red, FWIW, YMMV:

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.