Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Continental GP5000 TL issue

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-20, 05:40 AM
Jamg2412
Alberto

Bikes: Bianchi Liquigas Via Nirone

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts

I got the GP5000 TL in 32mm for my bike. Difficult to install but I did it, front easy to install, rear very hard. Now, I have the following issue. The tyre is wobbling and I tried to seat the tyre at least 3 times. Wheel is true and there is no problem with the wheel bearings. Then, I decided to inspect the tyre in detail and I found a strange depression (I don't know how to call it) on the sidewall. Any experience with this problem?

Thanks for the help.

Sidewall affected.

Maybe is worse than I think.
Old 08-14-20, 07:08 AM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 354 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20810 Post(s)
Liked 9,456 Times in 4,672 Posts
I'm not sure what problem we're supposed to be seeing, maybe it's just hard to catch with the camera, but what I do see is the witness line; that seems to indicate that, at least on this side and on this section, the bead is in place properly. If the opposite bead is also seated properly and if there's a casing irregularity in that area that doesn't go away after being inflated for a while, I'd look in to an exchange.
Likes For WhyFi:
Old 08-14-20, 07:46 AM
Ilbiker

Bikes: 2016 Specialized Roubaix SL4 Sport 2021 Trek Domane SL6

Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 11 Posts
The depression is hard to see. Agreed that if it is properly seated all the way around on both sides and doesn’t go away in a day or so, I’d look to get it replaced. If you bought the tire locally, maybe bring it back to the shop mounted so that the depression can be seen. I’m running the same tire on my Domane and have not had any issues after 500 miles.
Old 08-14-20, 08:35 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6193 Post(s)
Liked 4,808 Times in 3,316 Posts
I see that in many tires right after I put them on. Particularly the new tires I just put on. By the time I've flatted, fixed and remounted them a few times, It's either gone away or maybe I just am not looking close enough.

Tires do take a little time to get back into shape after being folded up for so long.
Likes For Iride01:
Old 08-15-20, 08:09 AM
guadzilla
Pointy Helmet Tribe

Bikes: R5, Allez Sprint, Shiv

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 519 Post(s)
Liked 627 Times in 295 Posts
Jeez, i have never even thought to look at my tires in such detail (that lack of attention to detail is also the reason I wont touch rebreathers for scuba).
Likes For guadzilla:
Old 08-16-20, 04:28 AM
Bah Humbug
serious cyclist

Bikes: S1, R2, P2

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 9334 Post(s)
Liked 3,679 Times in 2,026 Posts
I too can't really see the issue in the picture, but it's interesting that it appears to be either at or right next to the valve.
Old 08-16-20, 08:01 AM
PoorInRichfield

Bikes: Trek Domane SL7 Disc, Cannondale F29

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 388 Post(s)
Liked 324 Times in 185 Posts
Not to be "Captain Obvious", but is the bead seated all the way around? I.e., when you installed the tires, did you use an air compressor or high volume pump to fill the tires with area until there is a sold "pop" as the beads are seated?

I mounted a pair of tires earlier in the week that have "skinwalls" (I.e., brown sidewalls) and noticed that the sidewall didn't look even all the way around and thought there was a tire defect. The actual problem was that the bead wasn't seated properly. Now that it is, the sidewall looks even. It's hard to notice this unevenness on solid black tires with black sidewalls.

I'm not sure how else you'd notice a "wobble". I don't think small variances in the rubber would make any difference at speeds a normal cyclist can obtain. I have the same tires and so far they've been great... other than the initial install which was a doozie due to the tight bead.
Old 08-17-20, 03:34 AM
Jamg2412
Alberto

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
More than the problem from the image is that the tyre wobbles. I don’t know if it is related with the wall problem. It is well seated. I have done that at least 5 times. So, I changed the tape and no change. Also try to seat the tyre in a different position. No change at all. Now I am claiming the warranty and waiting for their response.
Old 08-17-20, 08:34 AM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 4733 Post(s)
Liked 1,532 Times in 1,003 Posts
Originally Posted by Jamg2412
More than the problem from the image is that the tyre wobbles. I don’t know if it is related with the wall problem. It is well seated. I have done that at least 5 times. So, I changed the tape and no change. Also try to seat the tyre in a different position. No change at all. Now I am claiming the warranty and waiting for their response.
Not sure you said.. is wobble on both wheels or just one of them? Obvious thing to try if just for one of the wheels, is swap tires front to back.. does the other wheel now wobble?
Old 08-17-20, 08:58 AM
Pizzaiolo Americano 
Pizzaiolo Americano

Bikes: 2021 Trek Domane, Bianchi Intenso, Specialized Epic Evo, Surly Ice Cream Truck, Some other stuff

Quoted: 287 Post(s)
Liked 140 Times in 69 Posts
The witness line is perfect all the way around on both sides?
Old 08-17-20, 09:36 AM
Jamg2412
Alberto

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Yes, the line is uniform in both sides. I will upload a video to show this and the tyre problem.
Old 08-17-20, 09:38 AM
Jamg2412
Alberto

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
This is a video of my problem with the rear wheel and tyre.

Old 08-17-20, 04:57 PM
sfrider 
Asleep at the bars

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 234 Post(s)
Liked 203 Times in 135 Posts
For due diligence, check that both sides of the rim are circular. Hold a pencil or something with just a little space to the rim against the seatstays, and rotate the wheel.

But, it's almost certainly a tire defect.

Also, be judicious with putting a hydro brake bike upside down... you risk having air bubbles migrate to the pistons.
"This 7:48 cycling session burned 5933 calories. Speed up recovery by replacing them with a healthy snack." - Whoop

Old 08-17-20, 05:55 PM
AlmostTrick
Tortoise Wins by a Hare!

Bikes: Wabi Special FG, Raleigh Roper, Nashbar AL-1, Miyata One Hundred, '70 Schwinn Lemonator and More!!

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1549 Post(s)
Liked 941 Times in 504 Posts
It's the tire. I had that once on a Gran Bois tire. Vendor made me send him video and then the tire itself so he could try mounting it up. He sent me a replacement tire. By the way, great job on the video! It clearly demonstrates the problem is not the wheel, or the bead mounting.
Old 08-17-20, 06:13 PM
aclinjury

Quoted: 497 Post(s)
Liked 170 Times in 128 Posts
This is a video of my problem with the rear wheel and tyre.

https://youtu.be/_n2Ca6zSjb4
Defective carcass.
Solution: send the damn tire back for warranty
Old 08-17-20, 06:48 PM
Paul Barnard
For The Fun of It

Bikes: Lynskey GR300, Lynskey Backroad, Litespeed T6, Lynskey MT29, Burley Duet

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 2135 Post(s)
Liked 1,646 Times in 828 Posts
I have that problem with one of my tires right now. The vendor, Bike Tires Direct, wasn't interested in helping me when I sent the photo.
Old 08-18-20, 06:15 AM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 4733 Post(s)
Liked 1,532 Times in 1,003 Posts
Originally Posted by Paul Barnard
I have that problem with one of my tires right now. The vendor, Bike Tires Direct, wasn't interested in helping me when I sent the photo.
Just curious.. in what way weren't they helpful? Seems like they have a straightforward process as per below, though I guess it gets more problematic if you bought the tires and stuck them on a shelf for a while to use later. These stories like the OPs/yours suggest that, while quite a hassle, that it makes sense to mount newly bought tires and make sure good to go before putting back on the shelf for future use.

https://www.biketiresdirect.com/returns
Old 08-18-20, 07:29 PM
Paul Barnard
For The Fun of It

Bikes: Lynskey GR300, Lynskey Backroad, Litespeed T6, Lynskey MT29, Burley Duet

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 2135 Post(s)
Liked 1,646 Times in 828 Posts
Originally Posted by Sy Reene
Just curious.. in what way weren't they helpful? Seems like they have a straightforward process as per below, though I guess it gets more problematic if you bought the tires and stuck them on a shelf for a while to use later. These stories like the OPs/yours suggest that, while quite a hassle, that it makes sense to mount newly bought tires and make sure good to go before putting back on the shelf for future use.

https://www.biketiresdirect.com/returns

I mounted them shortly after I bought them. When I first started riding on them, it seemed like there was a steady thump, thump, thump, but I wrote it off. About 2 months later I detected the defect when I finally tired of the thumping. I took a pic and sent it to them. They tried to blame it on mounting or on my rim. That despite the fact that it had been on 2 different rims and mounted 3 different times. Once on one rim and twice on another.
Old 08-26-20, 04:00 AM
Jamg2412
Alberto

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Just to close this thread, I got a warranty replacement for this tyre. Good customer service from the bike shop.

Last edited by Jamg2412; 08-26-20 at 04:06 AM.
Likes For Jamg2412:
Old 08-26-20, 04:20 AM
Bah Humbug
serious cyclist

Bikes: S1, R2, P2

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 9334 Post(s)
Liked 3,679 Times in 2,026 Posts
Just to close this thread, I got a warranty replacement for this tyre. Good customer service from the bike shop.
Glad you got it sorted! And thanks for letting us know how it finished.