Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fitting Your Bike
Reload this Page >

I had a fit - Will either of these bikes work?

Search
Notices
Fitting Your Bike Are you confused about how you should fit a bike to your particular body dimensions? Have you been reading, found the terms Merxx or French Fit, and don’t know what you need? Every style of riding is different- in how you fit the bike to you, and the sizing of the bike itself. It’s more than just measuring your height, reach and inseam. With the help of Bike Fitting, you’ll be able to find the right fit for your frame size, style of riding, and your particular dimensions. Here ya’ go…..the location for everything fit related.

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-24, 11:47 AM
mams99

Bikes: Pedego Stretch 2016 (electric cargo bike for around town and grocery shopping, Small surly Ogre (2015), Bianchi Advantage (46cm) 1993, Bike Friday NWT, 2005

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 126 Post(s)
Liked 44 Times in 24 Posts

I have a bike (Surly Ogre), but I'm I'm also wanting a bike I can more easily travel with AND would be OK for something like Ragbrai (as well as some other adventures not so close to home).

Two bikes with S&S couplers have come up, but according too most things, I'm between sizes. Some things say I need a 52/53cm, other things say 54cm. My bike inseam is 30.5. I'm 5'6" female who rides exclusively for comfort, touring/camping. I'll never race - ever. I'm 54 years old and I'm an avid walker and ride some, but want to ride more.

So, my bike fit gave me this info. This fitter is HIGHLY recommended, but I think most people he fits are people riding for speed/racing. Like I SPECIFICALLY had too request a fit that did not include clip in shoes/pedals. I will never use those either.

Anyway, I don't understand all these things and I can't try either of these bikes in person - I would have to buy them, have them delivered and then "hope" they are a good fit.

The first bike is from a shop/maker and they say it should fit me. I'm waiting for more info from the other, but I have the included info for now (they are on vacation).

So, first - bike fit numbers:

1. Saddle Height (BB to Center Saddle) 702
2. Saddle Setback 72
Saddle Type Diva
Saddle Angle -3.1
3. Handlebar Drop 9 above
4. Cockpit Length (Back of Saddle) 735
Handlebar Model and Width 38
5. Pad/Hood Reach 585
6. Hood Drop
Handlebar Angle/Depth
Stem Length & Angle
Saddle Depth
Clamp/Rail position
Seat Post Setback
7. Handlebar or Pad XY Coordinate 390 661
8. Saddle XY Coordinate 220 610
Crank Arm Length 165

The bike one bike I'm looking at deets: Waterford 1900 bicycle. It is custom and has short reach Shimano Ultegra caliper brakes, not cantilevers. Clearance for 28 mm tires. 175mm head tube, 54 cm c-t seat tube, 52.5 cm effective top tube. Shimano 105 triple brifters, 105 triple front derailleur, Deore rear derailleur, Ultegra triple crank. (this is the one I'm waiting for more geometry numbers)

The one from a manufacturer (custom): Rodriguez competitive. Top Tube Length - 53, Seat Tube - 53, Standover Height - 30.5, Wheel Size - 700c.

I'm thinking both of these are slightly too big? they both have straight top tube (or mostly).

​​​​​​​Be kind... I'm trying to learn.
Old 02-23-24, 12:58 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6196 Post(s)
Liked 4,811 Times in 3,319 Posts
There really isn't any way to quantify what size bike will fits you that works for all models of bike. I still like the idea of trying a bike out before it's purchased. But times are changing and that's not always possible. Especially with online purchases.

One of the things you have to keep in mind are that bikes are made for a certain position of the cyclist. Some are made for a very aero position and many consider them race bikes for people that race. Although my bike is one of those, and I find it very comfortable on long one day trips less than 6 hours and carrying no load. Other bikes are made for a very relaxed and more of a upright sitting position. And many are somewhere between the two. Some people will be comfortable in any of those positions, some comfortable in only one position and there'll be others that are comfortable in none of those positions. So which will you be.

If you can find the sizing recommended by that bikes builder, then you'll have one useful piece of info that you can start from to base the decision of whether you want to go smaller or larger from that recommendation. But you wouldn't be totally wrong not to just go with their recommendation if you have nothing else to base your opinion of why you liked or disliked the fit of any of your previous bikes. If their sizing puts you between two sizes, then just pick one, toss a coin or consider that a smaller frame will have more drop to the bars from the saddle when the saddle is at the correct height for your leg length. But a larger frame might stretch you out more with your reach to the bars. Neither is bad or good, it's just a matter of what you yourself prefers. Along with how you are going to use the bike and for how long. What you've gotten use to in a fit for shorts rides might not feel too great for a 4 - 8 hours in the saddle.

Another consideration might be how often are you going to be doing those long rides like the RAGBRAI? As well are you going to do them loaded. I think the RAGBRAI provides support to carry all your stuff to the next destination so all you really have to carry is bottles and maybe a road side emergency kit. So if you are going to be unloaded all the time, then get a lighter road bike or gravel bike if you will be doing gravel much. If you are going to be carrying a load for multiple days in a row, then look for something that is built for touring and has the capability to let you add paniers, fenders and other such that will let you have a comfortable position for slower going but longer times.
Old 02-24-24, 10:17 AM
oldbobcat

Bikes: '80 Masi Gran Criterium, '12 Trek Madone, early '60s Frejus track

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 514 Post(s)
Liked 450 Times in 338 Posts
You left me trying to interpolate your physical morphology from your bike fit dimensions or translating those dimensions to all the geometry charts that I have memorized (practically none). It would be a lot easier if you just told us how tall you are, how long your legs are, and whether you have long, short, or medium length arms.