Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Introduction to the Road Cycling Forum

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Introduction to the Road Cycling Forum

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-12, 05:21 AM
rmichael

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Knee pain article

Originally Posted by Tom Stormcrowe
Welcome to the Road Cycling Forum!

https://www.roadcycling.com/training/kneepain.shtml - Knee pain

Tom Stormcrowe
Forum Administrator and all the Bike Forums Staff
Great post, thank you.

I noticed the 'Knee pain' article has moved, perhaps it was this one:

https://www.roadcycling.com/news-resu...n#.UDdi926PvvY

?
Old 08-24-12, 12:58 PM
foob

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hi everyone,

First post here, so hopefully this is the best place to ask this question. I purchased a Kona Dew Deluxe about 2 months ago, and I've been using it as my daily commuter ever since. I really like the bike, but I'm wanting to switch out the stock handlebars for a set of drop handlebars.

However, I have absolutely no idea how I go about accomplishing that, and I'm not exactly knowledgable when it comes to bikes in general. Anyway, any help at all would be great!

Thanks!
Old 09-05-12, 02:36 PM
speedwobbles

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Does anyone have a link for the "photos of your bike near elevation signs" (or something like that) thread? I can't seem to find it but I swear I saw it one day.
Old 10-11-12, 01:34 PM
here2day

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Here is my newbie question - first my background - started riding 7 years ago after skiing accident. I ride in a coastal section of southern California which has some Cat 2 and plenty of Cat 3&4 climbs. I average around 60 miles per week, usually in two 30 mile rides. For every 10 miles ridden around here one usually climbs 1,000 feet. In 2005 I bought a Specialized Allez Elite new (105 shifters, 105-fd, Ultegra-rd, FSA Gossamer crank, ALX295 wheels) and have put approx. 20,000 miles on it, no upgrades, just routine maintenance. I've never weighed it on a bike scale but my guess is it's easily over 20lbs.

What I'd like to accomplish is to have a bike that helps me climb faster (on the cheap). The people I ride with can afford much better machines and I'd like to try to level the playing field a bit.

I'm trying to decide if I should buy a new or slightly used bike (I like the CAAD 10) or upgrade the Allez, and... I'm on a budget (two kids in college). I know where I could buy a new CAAD 10 5 for around $1,200 (seems like a good price) and think I could sell the Allez for around $400. That said I'm not sure they'll be that different.

Here are some of my questions:
- How important is the frame to climbing performance - is the 2012 CAAD 10 frame significantly better than the 2005 Allez?
- Would lighter wheels on the Allez have a significant effect on climbing performance?
- Would a lighter/stiffer crankset be a factor?
- Anything else I should think about?
- Is this the right Forum to ask this?

I appreciate that this is subject to opinion and also appreciate any opinions or advice I get - thanks!
Old 10-11-12, 01:42 PM
10 Wheels
Galveston County Texas

Bikes: 02 GTO, 2011 Magnum

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1350 Post(s)
Liked 1,243 Times in 621 Posts
Hills are about fitness and weight.

How much do you weight?

Old 10-11-12, 01:53 PM
10 Wheels
Galveston County Texas

I bought 2 new bikes this year.

They are more responsive and nimble , but I have not gained any speed.

60 miles a week is Low Miles.
180 to 240 would help you much if you had the time.

Old 10-11-12, 04:33 PM
here2day

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 10 Wheels
Hills are about fitness and weight.

How much do you weight?
5'10", 163lbs - I'm 54

according to Strava my max effort is 347 watts - don't know if that's good or bad - also don't know how accurate but have heard it's a reasonable measure to try and improve.
Old 10-11-12, 04:38 PM
here2day

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 10 Wheels
I bought 2 new bikes this year.

They are more responsive and nimble , but I have not gained any speed.

60 miles a week is Low Miles.
180 to 240 would help you much if you had the time.
Thanks - that's probably the right answer and certainly the cheapest answer.
Finding the time as daylight dwindles will be the challenge.
I've been told that wheels are the best bang for the $$.
I'm looking at some Neuvation wheels for $250. They're much lighter than what I have.
Old 10-11-12, 05:40 PM
10 Wheels
Galveston County Texas

Originally Posted by here2day
Thanks - that's probably the right answer and certainly the cheapest answer.
Finding the time as daylight dwindles will be the challenge.
I've been told that wheels are the best bang for the $$.
I'm looking at some Neuvation wheels for $250. They're much lighter than what I have.
Your weight is great.
New wheels are a good way to go.

New bikes are fun to ride.
A new one may give you more incentive for more miles.
It is also nice to have 2 bikes as you can compare the ride qualities..

Stay in touch and I wish you well.

Old 10-13-12, 03:10 PM
katybug

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
im just getting into cycling very new, total noob, my friend has this bike for sale, its a 1200 trek aluminum with spinergy carbon fiber 4 spoke aero wheels, does anyone know the year, and a good price to pay for this?

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
IMG_8214.jpg (98.3 KB, 78 views)
Old 11-01-12, 11:28 PM
1koolkat
Banned.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I recently got a new frame and the bottom bracket shell said it was drilled for a 68 by 107mm (recommended) , but I was looking into a 68 by 110 crankset combo. Would that be fine to put on it? Thank you.
Old 11-01-12, 11:32 PM
1koolkat
Banned.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Also I have been really interested in this fork, is there any way it would fit in a 1 1/8 headtube. Thank you. I know this is probably a stupid question, but I didnt know if there was that much of a difference.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/290710209014...=p5197.c0.m619
Old 11-28-12, 11:09 AM
buffalowings

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm a recreational cyclist and commuter and I am using a Gary Fisher Marlin that worked great because I could run slicks or knobbies for the trails but I moved to a urban area so I am now looking for a road bike. I originally wanted one in the $1400 range (Giant Defy, Scott Speedster S20, Trek Madone 2.1) but I decided to set my budget to a more reasonable $700-800 range so I have been looking at the following:
$800 sette vitale 2.0 (9 speed tiagra)
$750 diamondback podium sport 2012 (10 speeds 105)
$850? scott speedster s40 (9 speed sora)
$750 Ridley Icarus (9 speed tiagra)
Which one would be the better buy? I'm not only looking at the componentry because most of them are the same, but also the frame/ride quality because the only one I can test is the Scott from my LBS and i don't want to buy a second rate frame that I would later regret.
I'm a pretty average biker in terms of speed/endurance (more of a bike nerd) so I can easily do the basic assembly required for bike in a box, if the front derailleur is in the general parameters...

Thanks

Last edited by buffalowings; 11-28-12 at 11:27 AM.
Old 12-11-12, 08:52 PM
IFPCL

Bikes: 2014 Salsa Colossal 2,1995 IndyFab Independence, 1995 Specialized Hardrock Sport

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hey folks. I'm not new to cycling but I don't know very much about road racing. I'm getting involved in an amateur racing group in my area and was wondering if the bike I have will limit me to a noticeable extent in crits or general road racing. It's a 2012 Giant Defy 1. I know that the geometry is more suited to long distance riding, but if I slam the stem for a more aggressive saddle-to-bar drop (not uncomfortable for me), will I have bike capable of standing up to racing frames like CAADs or the Giant TCR? This is with adequate training, etc. taken into account.

Last edited by IFPCL; 12-11-12 at 08:53 PM. Reason: spellinz
Old 12-13-12, 12:58 PM
Street rider
We win all charity rides

Bikes: BMX, fixed gear

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I usually hang out in SSFG, and this is my first time in my parts! Quick question, is there a "what bike should I buy" thread here? I did a quick search, but it didn't yield anything substantial, and I don't want to be that ******* who starts a new thread for every single question and clutters everything up.
Old 04-03-13, 09:01 AM
Marlin_L

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
https://hamilton.kijiji.ca/c-buy-and-...AdIdZ470096313

City: Hamilton, Ontario

I've been bicycling a fair amount as my primary get around method before the winter here in Ontario. Have only ridden beater bikes, so I want to get something that would fit me (I'm 6'4"), and rides nice.

My needs is urban commuting in a medium sized city. There's a major elevation change that divides the city so being able to climb a hill is a huge plus.

I really don't know how to valuate a bike new or used. The tune-up package he said was worth $60. Do I take that into consideration?
Old 04-09-13, 10:02 AM
LesterOfPuppets
cowboy, steel horse, etc

Bikes: everywhere

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12768 Post(s)
Liked 7,682 Times in 4,077 Posts
Originally Posted by buhemith_780
Hello All Hope you can help me with this. I just bought a Trek 1000 from the year 2000 and would like to switch the fork over to a threadless type is this possible on that frame and if so what fork/headset should i be looking at. this bike is a pre carbon time and it is not an inset headset.
You'll need a 1" threadless headset, fork with 1" threadless steerer tube, a 1" threadless stem with the appropriate bar clamp diameter (I'm guessing 26mm for the stock bars, but if you're getting that much new stuff, might wanna consider going whole hog and getting 31.8mm bars and stem), and probably some 1" spacers.
Originally Posted by buhemith_780
Also do they make caps for over the mounts for down tube shifters as i am going to be using new leaver shifters?
The 2000 Trek 1000 came with Sora brifters with barrel adjusters on the downtube, you can probably use those barrel adjusters with most other brifters. What shift levers are you planning on using?

Last edited by LesterOfPuppets; 04-09-13 at 10:54 AM.
Old 04-14-13, 04:51 PM
Abstractworld

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hello everyone, I'm new to this forum and also completely new to biking on the road.
I'm 23 years old and the last time I actually road a bike was probably when I was in elementary school.
I have a couple questions about biking because I really want to get a good workout and also save money commuting to work/school.

Sorry if this is a lot of questions, I just want to be safe on the road and learn all I can about bicycling.

1) What's a decent road bike for under $250 for beginners. (Also how do I figure out the right size for my body? )
2) How safe is it to bike on the road? I'm pretty scared to go on the road with a bicycle because cars might hit me resulting in my death :O
3) What are some important gear I should be wearing if I were to bike on the road (helmet, etc)
4) What are some tips I should know before riding on the road as a beginner
5) How to deal with angry drivers who will honk and scare me because I am taking up too much of the road.
6) Should I get a camera to place in front of my bike just in case someone tries to ram me so I have evidence? (I watched youtube where cars purposely rammed bikers and they luckily had cameras to record the license plate)
7) Do you guys get your bikes stolen often? I heard people usually get their bikes stolen within 2 years or so. It also seems fairly easy to break bike locks.
8) Any other things you guys think I should know as a complete beginner to biking on the road

Thank you for your time everyone

Last edited by Abstractworld; 04-14-13 at 05:04 PM.
Old 05-02-13, 12:16 PM
Graupel731

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Newbie question:

https://frank.harvard.edu/~coldwell/b...on/overall.jpg (for a bigger image)

What is the black bar(?) under the top tube?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
littlebob.jpg (19.9 KB, 65 views)
Old 05-02-13, 04:07 PM
qcpmsame 
Semper Fi

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 1172 Post(s)
Liked 358 Times in 241 Posts
Pump, a nice one, too. Possibly a Zefal, that Bob Jackson is very nice as well. Someone had good taste in bikes.

Bill

I Can Do All Things Through Him, Who Gives Me Strength. Philippians 4:13

Old 05-19-13, 12:03 PM
mrlulz

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I did the search, and I really could not make any sense of what I found. So just a newbie question here! I'm new to all this! Only recently got interested! Don't own a road bike as of yet! Been riding a Raleigh pioneer spirit! Which got me into wanting a road bike![added a picture, hope you dont mind.]
Which brings me to my question! What do I buy for my new bike!? What kind of bib/shorts should I buy? Helmet? Do I need the expensive racing shoes, or is there an alternative? I dont want to pay top prices for clothing! but I want something worth my Pound! Any help? Some kind of light shed on this would be a great help! Thanks....
Old 05-19-13, 12:52 PM
BruceHankins

Bikes: Shogun 400 ('83), Kuwahara Newport

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm a n00b myself, but why do you need special clothing and shoes or a different helmet to enjoy riding a bike? BTW, love the look of your commuter!
Old 05-19-13, 01:23 PM
mrlulz

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by BruceHankins
I'm a n00b myself, but why do you need special clothing and shoes or a different helmet to enjoy riding a bike? BTW, love the look of your commuter!
Well, I figured clothing for comfort! Like the padded bibs? And I was looking at time trail helmets! But they're costy. And cheers!
Old 05-19-13, 03:20 PM
LowCel 
Throw the stick!!!!

Bikes: GMC Denali

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 176 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 31 Posts
Originally Posted by mrlulz
Well, I figured clothing for comfort! Like the padded bibs? And I was looking at time trail helmets! But they're costy. And cheers!
Don't mess with the time trial helmets, just get a normal helmet. Time trial helmets don't allow you to hear as well or give you nearly as much ventilation. Also, if you wear a tt helmet while riding anything but a tt you will probably be laughed off of the road. I wore mine while racing today and even then I knew it looked ridiculous.
Old 06-03-13, 06:18 AM
mrlulz

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Questions! A basic run down. Got first road bike Friday. Been on it twice. However, scared of all kinds of pot holes, grids a little down, and stones. However, avoiding these nearly gets me killed so I'm asking:
1 What can a double walled rim, with the highest pressure in the tires actually withstand without puncher?

Another one: How can I make the bike a little faster, without spending the earth!?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.