Go Back  Bike Forums > The Racer's Forum > "The 33"-Road Bike Racing
Reload this Page >

Training Status??? (IV)

Search
Notices
"The 33"-Road Bike Racing We set this forum up for our members to discuss their experiences in either pro or amateur racing, whether they are the big races, or even the small backyard races. Don't forget to update all the members with your own race results.

Training Status??? (IV)

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-16, 09:36 AM
globecanvas
Ninny

Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 686 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
45 minutes on the trainer. No painkillers. 20 minutes of actual tempo. Feeling weak but no pain! Optimistic.
Old 04-05-16, 10:22 AM
Heathpack 
Has a magic bike

Bikes: 2018 Scott Spark, 2015 Fuji Norcom Straight, 2014 BMC GF01, 2013 Trek Madone

Mentioned: 699 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4456 Post(s)
Liked 425 Times in 157 Posts
Originally Posted by globecanvas
45 minutes on the trainer. No painkillers. 20 minutes of actual tempo. Feeling weak but no pain! Optimistic.
Old 04-05-16, 10:24 AM
globecanvas
Ninny

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
@Heathpack, this is after 72 hours with zero carbs, as per the horse Rx. No idea if it's correlated but I will definitely be cutting back on carbs in the future any time I am off the bike for more than a day.
Old 04-05-16, 11:29 AM
Heathpack 
Has a magic bike

Bikes: 2018 Scott Spark, 2015 Fuji Norcom Straight, 2014 BMC GF01, 2013 Trek Madone

@Heathpack, this is after 72 hours with zero carbs, as per the horse Rx. No idea if it's correlated but I will definitely be cutting back on carbs in the future any time I am off the bike for more than a day.

Horses cannot actually go zero carb, but I know what you're saying.

Did you read that paper I sent you? It was interesting how one subset of commonly affected horses is the very fit racing thoroughbred. The biggest long-term management principle might actually be not taking training breaks, that seems to be what works for them. Personally, if I were you I wouldn't go zero carb forever, just transition back to your normal when you're riding well again.

Also interesting when you think about it that thoroughbreds are highly inbred freaks of nature, they are incredible aerobic machines. Their exceptionalism is traditionally thought to relate to cardiovascular function, especially heart size and strength. But you have to wonder as well if somehow differences in the way carbohydrate is stored/utilized by muscle has something to do with being fast in an endurance sport too. Right now it sucks to be you, but look on the bright side: it could be the negative side of a positive thing.

We see some exertional myopathies in dogs too, just not quite as commonly. But never in cats that I'm aware of. (But how would you ever provoke an episode in your typical housecat, lol?).

Horses and dogs are aerobic endurance machines. Cats are more sprinty. Whatever that means. (Probably nothing.)
Old 04-05-16, 11:41 AM
globecanvas
Ninny

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Heathpack
Did you read that paper I sent you?
I did read the paper, thank you for pointing me to it. It was impressively comprehensive (for completeness: American Association of Equine Practitioners).

I wouldn't go zero carb forever, just transition back to your normal when you're riding well again.
Zero carb was just to get through this, and I'm declaring myself mostly through it. I just had a banana, and some rice with lunch. I'm not going to start plowing through the muesli for a couple of days though.

But you have to wonder as well if somehow differences in the way carbohydrate is stored/utilized by muscle has something to do with being fast in an endurance sport too.
I've been thinking about this as well. The major differences in how I've been training this offseason compared to previous years are (1) more frequent vo2max intervals and (2) more fast-twitch work (plyo and sprints). Given that I never had a hint of this problem in the past, and this year it's been a background problem since December and now a foreground problem, I do wonder if I've somehow trained myself into a sort of metabolic profile that triggers a preexisting genetic issue.
Old 04-05-16, 11:42 AM
TheKillerPenguin
Nonsense

Bikes: Affirmative

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 880 Post(s)
Liked 541 Times in 237 Posts
You could probably train cats and stage a cat race with a bunch of laser pointers. It could be the next big thing at Saratoga!
Old 04-05-16, 11:42 AM
Enthalpic
Killing Rabbits

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 278 Post(s)
Liked 217 Times in 102 Posts
Horses cannot actually go zero carb, but I know what you're saying.

Did you read that paper I sent you? It was interesting how one subset of commonly affected horses is the very fit racing thoroughbred. The biggest long-term management principle might actually be not taking training breaks, that seems to be what works for them. Personally, if I were you I wouldn't go zero carb forever, just transition back to your normal when you're riding well again.

Also interesting when you think about it that thoroughbreds are highly inbred freaks of nature, they are incredible aerobic machines. Their exceptionalism is traditionally thought to relate to cardiovascular function, especially heart size and strength. But you have to wonder as well if somehow differences in the way carbohydrate is stored/utilized by muscle has something to do with being fast in an endurance sport too. Right now it sucks to be you, but look on the bright side: it could be the negative side of a positive thing.

We see some exertional myopathies in dogs too, just not quite as commonly. But never in cats that I'm aware of. (But how would you ever provoke an episode in your typical housecat, lol?).

Horses and dogs are aerobic endurance machines. Cats are more sprinty. Whatever that means. (Probably nothing.)
Do the horses develop liver problems / hepatomegaly as well?
Old 04-05-16, 11:59 AM
mike868y

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 248 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
anaerobic ladders on the rollers today. didn't feel great but hit better numbers than last week. next block these go up from 30"-2' to 1'-3'.
Old 04-05-16, 12:15 PM
Heathpack 
Has a magic bike

Originally Posted by Enthalpic
Do the horses develop liver problems / hepatomegaly as well?
No, they need the fiber for intestinal health. But they digest some of the fiber that humans cannot and then some of that fiber is converted to sugars and absorbed. If you go zero carb, a horse would likely get very sick from colic and possibly die.

https://www.triplecrownfeed.com/arti...carbhorsefeed/
Old 04-05-16, 12:24 PM
Enthalpic
Killing Rabbits

Quoted: 278 Post(s)
Liked 217 Times in 102 Posts
No, they need the fiber for intestinal health. But they digest some of the fiber that humans cannot and then some of that fiber is converted to sugars and absorbed. If you go zero carb, a horse would likely get very sick from colic and possibly die.

https://www.triplecrownfeed.com/arti...carbhorsefeed/
Sorry, I meant when they are in that glycogen excess condition. Wouldn't the liver also store excess glycogen and become enlarged?
Old 04-05-16, 12:30 PM
globecanvas
Ninny

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Enthalpic
Sorry, I meant when they are in that glycogen excess condition. Wouldn't the liver also store excess glycogen and become enlarged?
As I understand it, the mechanism discussed in the AAEP paper has to do with calcium regulation, rather than excess glycogen per se. Interesting connection with malignant hyperthermia in humans.

"RER in Thoroughbreds appears to be due to disruption of the mechanism by which muscle contraction is regulated in conjunction with excitement and exercise. This mechanism of action is based on the observation that intercostal muscle biopsies from RER horses readily develop contractures when exposed to agents (halothane and caffeine) that increase intramuscular calcium release. The threshold for developing a contracture is much lower for RER horses compared to normal horses similar to a muscle disease in people and swine called malignant hyperthermia. Every time a muscle contracts, calcium is released from muscle storage sites and then taken back up into storage sites for muscle relaxation. The altered contraction and relaxation of muscle suggests that abnormal intracellular calcium regulation is the cause of this form of RER. These intramuscular calcium concentrations are extremely small compared to the amount of calcium in the rest of the body and are completely independent of dietary calcium concentrations."
Old 04-05-16, 12:57 PM
Heathpack 
Has a magic bike

There are actually multiple causes of exertional myopathy in horses.

One is due to a defect in storing polysaccharide specifically in muscle (but not liver as I understand it) and this gene defect has been identified. There are also horses who store excessive polysaccharide in their muscles who don't have the identified gene defect. They probably have a different, as-yet-unidentified gene defect. Then there's the thoroughbreds who manifest a clinically identical disease but do not have abnormal polysaccharide levels in their muscle on biopsy. All three of these diseases appear identical but probably have different gene abnormalities underlying them.

Additionally, there also seem to be sporadic cases that are probably not genetic and may have to do with nutritional or environmental factors.

Probably all these diseases appear identical clinically because they all result in some sort of metabolic dysfunction with exertion which results in muscle damage. That final mechanism may well be excessive Ca++ release.

Here is a link to a research group that studies these disease in horses. This link is to the thoroughbred disease, RER. On the sidebar to the left are links to info about the polysaccharide storage diseases.

Recurrent Exertional Rhabdomyolysis (RER) - CVM - Equine Genetics and Genomics Laboratory, University of Minnesota

FWIW horses get this exertional rhabdomyolysis, which for lay people means that there is actual physical damage to the muscles. The hallmark of this is muscle pain that lasts for days after an episode and results in elevation in the blood of the (normally intracellular) muscle enzymes, CK (aka CPK) and AST, these are blood tests which @globecanvas has not had. Dogs on the other hand get exertional myopathies (note the lack of the -lysis suffix on this word) which are purely functional disorders with no muscle damage, no muscle pain, no elevation in CK and AST. Also no residual symptoms once the episode is over.
@globecanvas describes symptoms that are very similar to the equine disease.
Old 04-05-16, 02:04 PM
Hermes
Version 7.0

Bikes: Too Many

Mentioned: 297 Post(s)
Quoted: 1340 Post(s)
Liked 2,482 Times in 1,457 Posts
equine disease...hmmm @globecanvas Maybe you need to back off on the mares.

Seriously, hope you figure this out or just get better.
Old 04-05-16, 02:09 PM
globecanvas
Ninny

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I blame my nervous inner filly.

"Thoroughbreds with the greatest risk of developing RER are young, nervous females."
Old 04-05-16, 02:18 PM
rideaz

Bikes: Giant TCR, Giant Anthem, Felt CX

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Good news!
Old 04-05-16, 02:19 PM
TexMac

Bikes: Ridley Noah fast, Colnago CLX,Giant Propel Advanced, Pinnerello Gogma 65.1, Specialized S-works Venge, CAADX,Cervelo S3

Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Easty z2 commutes with 4 sprints today, 23 miles each way
Stage race Sat & sunday
Old 04-05-16, 02:20 PM
rideaz

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Group ride today. I thought my legs would be dead from last week (they felt terrible yesterday and all I did was Yoga) but I felt pretty good.
I rode my Madone again, every time I think I want to sell that bike, I ride it and enjoy it so much. Idk what to do!
Old 04-05-16, 03:46 PM
TheKillerPenguin
Nonsense

Bikes: Affirmative

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 880 Post(s)
Liked 541 Times in 237 Posts
2.5hrs / 10 sprints mix of seated and standing. Saved the last one for the very end and followed @globecanvas go hard then sprint protocol, and I think just barely broke 1000w haha.

I did these with my race wheels and fresh rubber and it is noticeably quicker spinning up, which was unexpected so I kept shifting at what would normally be the right time but was way too slow. I'll be riding with my race setup more often I think.
Old 04-05-16, 06:07 PM
Ygduf
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Bikes: aggressive agreement is what I ride.

Mentioned: 109 Post(s)
Quoted: 967 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
In a case of serious I-regret-teasing-Aaron-karma I crashed AGAIN today. Group ride and wheels crossed ahead of me. I was rider 4 or 5 into the pile. Nice core sample taken from my right forearm and 5 real-solid chainring punctures to my left quad. Quad also has a large contusion which really hurts the worst my current injury list.

Text me for gore pics. I pulled like a 1.5cm string of fat out of my right arm when I got home. No nerves in that stuff, btw. I felt like Rambo!

Kids are due next week. We'll see if fate lets me live that long. :O
Old 04-05-16, 06:10 PM
Wylde06

Bikes: Cannondale Six13

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 140 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 21 Posts
Originally Posted by TheKillerPenguin
You could probably train cats and stage a cat race with a bunch of laser pointers. It could be the next big thing at Saratoga!
Lets make this a thing.
Old 04-05-16, 06:13 PM
gsteinb
out walking the earth

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 912 Post(s)
Liked 752 Times in 342 Posts
Originally Posted by Ygduf
In a case of serious I-regret-teasing-Aaron-karma I crashed AGAIN today. Group ride and wheels crossed ahead of me. I was rider 4 or 5 into the pile. Nice core sample taken from my right forearm and 5 real-solid chainring punctures to my left quad. Quad also has a large contusion which really hurts the worst my current injury list.

Text me for gore pics. I pulled like a 1.5cm string of fat out of my right arm when I got home. No nerves in that stuff, btw. I felt like Rambo!

I'm not around here much lately. Due next week? Are they on some sort of fedex plan? It seems sooooo soon. I'm now aging in dog years, perhaps.

And stop crashing (I don't know what 'again' refers to, but quit it.)
Old 04-05-16, 06:21 PM
rideaz

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Ygduf

well damn! good luck with the healing and the kiddos coming! take care!
Old 04-05-16, 06:46 PM
Ygduf
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Bikes: aggressive agreement is what I ride.

Mentioned: 109 Post(s)
Quoted: 967 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by gsteinb
I'm not around here much lately. Due next week? Are they on some sort of fedex plan? It seems sooooo soon. I'm now aging in dog years, perhaps.

And stop crashing (I don't know what 'again' refers to, but quit it.)
We have a scheduled c-section on the 12th. Wife is geriatric and multiple pregnancy with 2 7-lb babies make it complicated. Next Tuesday is the latest.
Old 04-05-16, 07:24 PM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
We had the same deal with our kids. Our old school Ob-gyn was all for a standard vaginal birth but one kid was head up, and as we got to 39 weeks, we had to schedule a C-section. I asked if we could schedule it for late night so each kid could have a different birthday, but he wouldn't go for it.
Old 04-05-16, 07:29 PM
globecanvas
Ninny

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Our twins were emergency c-section. Ruptured placenta, by extreme good luck it occurred literally across the street from a hospital. By further remarkable luck my wife's doc was already at the hospital in surgical scrubs. I asked the admitting nurse to please call the doc and she said "oh I just saw him hold on..." and paged him on the overhead. He had literally just come out of another surgery and he was there 5 minutes later and the twins were out maybe 10 minutes after that. What's crazy is it wasn't even the hospital where we were scheduled to have the birth. Just a crazy set of coincidences.

I'll never forget the doc coming out after the twins were born and saying "everybody who has an unplanned c-section says they had an emergency c-section but believe me, she really had an emergency c-section. 10 minutes longer and it would have been a very bad outcome."

er... I'm sure it will go great for you though! Good luck with everything.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.