Go Back  Bike Forums > The Racer's Forum > "The 33"-Road Bike Racing
Reload this Page >

Training Status??? (IV)

Search
Notices
"The 33"-Road Bike Racing We set this forum up for our members to discuss their experiences in either pro or amateur racing, whether they are the big races, or even the small backyard races. Don't forget to update all the members with your own race results.

Training Status??? (IV)

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-16, 11:44 AM
tetonrider

Mentioned: 64 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 693 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by caloso
Soccer bye week so I took my son on one of my hill routes. Every time, he'd immediately drop me, get about 3/4 of the way to the top, and run out of gas. I would pass him, he'd get mad, and then try to outsprint me to the top.

When we got home, he laid down on the couch and crashed until dinner. Good times.
how old is your boy?

pacing seems to be an interesting (and inaccessible) thing for kids. my kid can last a long time when evenly-paced, but getting him not to sprint/stop/sprint/stop can be tricky.
Old 10-30-16, 02:19 PM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
He's 12. I offered to pace him, but he was determined to do his thing.
Old 10-30-16, 02:40 PM
topflightpro

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1851 Post(s)
Liked 678 Times in 429 Posts
I think my legs are starting to come back.

Got in 4.5 hours with some teammates on Saturday. Mostly Z2/Z3 stuff. It was good. My legs didn't lock up during the ride like they had been the last few weeks when trying to do longer rides.

Got in another 2.5 hours solo on Sunday. Legs felt good, just tired.

Of course, some ******* in a big truck with a giant flag painted on it tried to kill me. He came around to pass the four cars in front of him while I was in the oncoming lane. I had to pull off the road to not be hit head on by him. And the cars behind me prevented him from passing all four cars anyway.

Last edited by topflightpro; 10-30-16 at 05:12 PM.
Old 10-30-16, 03:01 PM
canuckbelle

Bikes: Scott Foil 10, Di2

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 148 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
3hrs Z2, capping off an 11hr, 640TSS week. Oww. Start 1/week gym this week.
Old 10-30-16, 05:41 PM
tetonrider

Mentioned: 64 Post(s)
Quoted: 693 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by topflightpro

Of course, some ******* in a big truck with a giant flag painted on it tried to kill me.
what kind of flag?

guessing it was not one of these?
Old 10-30-16, 06:22 PM
Doge

Bikes: 1979 Raleigh Team 753

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3374 Post(s)
Liked 371 Times in 253 Posts
Originally Posted by grolby
Never heard of Velotoze before. But I am intrigued.
Bought about 5 pair - junior, teammates used about 2 years. Also acetone will take off labeling so good for un-branding - which matters (if that couldn't be done, they couldn't be used - ironic right?). They have short and tall (think sock size). As they are rubber - no question they are good cold/wet things. They are very popular in TTs. I think they are too hot and heavy for the typical summer TT season. Esp with the new shoes.
Old 10-30-16, 07:01 PM
grolby

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 288 Post(s)
Liked 86 Times in 60 Posts
Originally Posted by Doge
Bought about 5 pair - junior, teammates used about 2 years. Also acetone will take off labeling so good for un-branding - which matters (if that couldn't be done, they couldn't be used - ironic right?). They have short and tall (think sock size). As they are rubber - no question they are good cold/wet things. They are very popular in TTs. I think they are too hot and heavy for the typical summer TT season. Esp with the new shoes.
Good tip, actually - I have no obligations that make removal of the branding necessary, but I do think their logo looks tacky. And "Velotoze" is a stupid name. Looks like a good product, though.
Old 10-30-16, 07:28 PM
Doge

Originally Posted by grolby
Good tip, actually - I have no obligations that make removal of the branding necessary, but I do think their logo looks tacky. And "Velotoze" is a stupid name. Looks like a good product, though.
Silicone spray right before start make them shine.

If you have strapped shoes - covering them will make a difference in the TT. If you have low socks, shaved legs and smooooth shoes - I don't think they are an improvement. this is a belief, not a fact - coming from someone who cares :-) Wind tunnel test were the old multi strap Velcro shoes. Things are different now.

BTW - nor did Brandon @ junior worlds (and I have yet to ask him about his socks).
Old 10-30-16, 07:46 PM
aaronmcd

Bikes: Cervelo S5, Marin Gestalt X11

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 554 Post(s)
Liked 65 Times in 45 Posts
Woke up to rain and forecast said 20 mph wind. But the rain cleared at around 1 so I went out. Planned on an hour or two hammering randomly around golden gate park but there were too many paople and stops. And I had eaten 8 pancakes for late breakfast so left the park and went down the coast into an insane headwind and up a 17 minute dirty muddy, trail climb with a bit of broken pavement. Came back up the coast with a glorious tailwind. ~33 mph up great highway. Fun.

30' warmup
80' tempo
15' descent
60' tempo
20' cooldown
Old 10-30-16, 08:11 PM
Wylde06

Bikes: Cannondale Six13

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 140 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 21 Posts
3 hours yesterday, 2 today. Good endurance riding...perfect for the time of the year.

CTL still somehow hovering around 70.

I use wko3.0 and my team mate uses 4.0. He coaches a few people on the team and I asked him to check to see what my CTL is showing...71 before todays ride, I was showing 67. If I can somehow manage to keep it up in the 60's that would be a pretty good start to winter.
Old 10-30-16, 08:21 PM
Ygduf
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Bikes: aggressive agreement is what I ride.

Mentioned: 109 Post(s)
Quoted: 967 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
how sweaty your feet are in a hot tt is about the 5th pain/annoyance you might notice in a hard tt.

you don't need to remove labels. they are the same inside out.
Old 10-30-16, 08:28 PM
grolby

Silicone spray right before start make them shine.

If you have strapped shoes - covering them will make a difference in the TT. If you have low socks, shaved legs and smooooth shoes - I don't think they are an improvement. this is a belief, not a fact - coming from someone who cares :-) Wind tunnel test were the old multi strap Velcro shoes. Things are different now.

BTW - nor did Brandon @ junior worlds (and I have yet to ask him about his socks).
I'm not that interested in whatever aero properties they may or may not have. Just protection from the elements when it's wet, but not so cold I want my winter booties.
Old 10-30-16, 08:37 PM
Doge

Originally Posted by Ygduf
how sweaty your feet are in a hot tt is about the 5th pain/annoyance you might notice in a hard tt.

you don't need to remove labels. they are the same inside out.
Comfort has nothing to do with it. The rider needs to dissipate heat. If not in feet, then elsewhere. Dissipating heat is hard to do and last thing I want to see is rubber over body parts when cooling is an issue. I do not think they are an advantage for TTs with current aero shoe options. Maybe a flat TT on a cool day - and I still don't as they are too heavy, but I DQ them for weight.
For rain and snow - great stuff.

The inside-out is a good point-but while we bought them junior did not use them for significant TTs. He did in some colder events and some cold training rides.
Old 10-31-16, 07:20 AM
TheKillerPenguin
Nonsense

Bikes: Affirmative

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 880 Post(s)
Liked 541 Times in 237 Posts
I like Velotoze. I ripped my pair up a bit after only like a dozen rides which is annoying, but they're very cheap, and they are great for 40 degrees and up or getting heckled by your buddies for trying to look super pro.
Old 10-31-16, 07:49 AM
rideaz

Bikes: Giant TCR, Giant Anthem, Felt CX

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I spent last week in Santa Barbara with some teammates, we rode a lot. I ended up with over 20k climbing for the week, that's a lot for me.
EZ week ahead to include some mountain biking because I signed up for a 12 hour mtn bike event yikes!
Old 10-31-16, 08:21 AM
dz_nuzz
Rides too much bike

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 232 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Has anyone used the short Velotoze? I have a set of the long ones and the reason I don't use them more is that it is quite an ordeal to put them on, so I will use them in a TT, but not as an everyday 'fight the weather' shoe cover. I am trying to decide if I want to get a set of the short ones, or the toe only covers to help with the North East Winter we are about to have.
Old 10-31-16, 10:04 AM
jsk

Bikes: Trek Madone, Blue Triad SL, Dixie Flyer BTB

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 160 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've used a part of the short velotoze in TT's. I don't think they would be very good for rainy weather because they don't provide a good enough seal around the ankle to keep water coming in from the top (at least, not the way the fit me).
Old 10-31-16, 10:26 AM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

You have to get the long ones, and make sure they extent above your socks so they seal against skin. Otherwise it'll just wick right down into your shoe.
Old 10-31-16, 11:02 AM
grolby

I'm healthy enough to train now, hooray! Which is great, because I'm also very slow right now.
Old 10-31-16, 11:32 AM
wktmeow

Bikes: CAAD 10

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 277 Post(s)
Liked 229 Times in 111 Posts
Oh man, 20 min power is down ~50w, and 1 min is down 100w. Off season slowness sucks ;o; Got a few hours in heading to and from Fiesta. It wasn't as active as I imagined, I thought it'd be like Zwift IRL, but I think there were maybe 5 other cyclists on the island that I saw.

On the bright side, my new fit feels good. Just got the final tune up on it, including new, classic bend bars in 40mm width. Still waiting on a longer stem. Hopefully the power will come back and then some. I think I'll be motoring along on the flats once it does, as I can definitely get lower while still making power with this setup.

Gym again today, and pretty easy the rest of the week until Sat & Sunday. Hopefully will not be in DOMS hell again this week.
Old 10-31-16, 12:27 PM
TMonk
Not actually Tmonk

Bikes: road, track, mtb

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Quoted: 2617 Post(s)
Liked 3,130 Times in 1,645 Posts
My legs are very tired. I'm looking fwd to taking it easy and sleeping more this week. I'll be visiting my gf's family in Texas over the weekend, so I'll ride a little more than a usual rest week during the work week.
Old 10-31-16, 12:29 PM
Ygduf
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Bikes: aggressive agreement is what I ride.

Mentioned: 109 Post(s)
Quoted: 967 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
short velotoze didn't work for me at all. on my shoes they left a big gap around the cuff because the shape wasn't the same as the shoe. the long ones are good for weather, but I use like a PI velcro set for commuting and whatnot
Old 10-31-16, 12:33 PM
caloso

Yeah, the other thing about Velotoze is that they are not worth it (to me) for shorter rides like commuting. Say under an hour.
Old 10-31-16, 07:07 PM
scheibo
once a runner

Bikes: n+1

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Quoted: 270 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
was raining and/or looking ominous yesterday so i just didn't ride (rain bike is in the shop because i need to replace the bearings in the bottom bracket and i dont want to try the indoor trainer again until i get a new fan to replace the one i broke). did 1h35 noodling this morning for 92 TSS, then threw my bike in the trunk this afternoon when i went to a DMV appointment 30 mi away (license expired a while ago...) and then rode after, getting 2h50 with a cool 5600 ft elevation for 194 TSS.

the afternoon ride is basically exactly what i look for when riding - new roads, little traffic (there were cows!), climbing, blue skies. did the climbs at >300W without really trying outside of trying to get up them (they were >10%), which is nice (i like judging my fitness by doing a climby ride and seeing what power i ended up settling into on the climbs). however, it could just be that my legs are fresh after a day off and i was forced to put out power because the climbs were so steep, but w/e.
Old 10-31-16, 09:45 PM
aaronmcd

Bikes: Cervelo S5, Marin Gestalt X11

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 554 Post(s)
Liked 65 Times in 45 Posts
That's how my rides have been lately - New roads, just climb how I feel, rested from the move/end of season. I hit like +45 TSB and still experiencing the benefits 3 weeks later. Peak vo2, threshold are the same but overall more consistent and subthreshold/sweet spot is actually almost comfortable vs incredible pain. Think I may work in longer rest weeks during the season next year, and not fret it if my CTL drops below 100. I can imagine a possible huge benefit to actually having the energy for 3 hours of tempo on a solo ride, or impromptu 8' VO2 repeats cuz why not I feel fine.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.