Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Keep or Sell my 1980's Schwinn SuperSport?

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-17, 10:09 PM
realperson

Bikes: Surly Long Haul Trucker, Raleigh One Way, Gary Fisher Aquila

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post

I'm going to request your input on what is probably a very personal​ decision. Recently my grandfather passed away and I inherited his very lightly used 1980's Schwinn SuperSport touring bike. It's a great bike but I rarely use it. I have another bike I use almost everyday. I'm trying to decide whether to sell it or keep it. Storage and usage are currently my biggest issues. Although I loved my grandfather dearly I'm not sentimental. What do you think, should I keep it or get rid of it? If I keep it I would likely convert it to my daily commuter bike. The thing is I really like the bike I have now although it has some issues. Here is what I'm thinking:
Scenario 1: keep the bike and get ride of my current daily commuter bike. The SuperSport has these things going for it:
* Front and rear racks installed and ready to go. My current bike only has a rear rack.
* This bike might have room for fenders, my current bike definitely doesn't have room for fenders.
* The SuperSport is a lighter frame.

Scenario 2: Sell the SuperSport and keep using my bike as my main commuter bike.
My bike (similar yet slightly newer Schwinn WorldSport) has these things going for it:
* The frame is heavier and feels like it could last a few lifetimes.
* I've put a lot of work into it. Schwalbe tires, replaced bottom bracket, new rear rack, and few other details. (as I type this I think I just fell for the sunk cost fallacy).

Scenario 3: keep both bikes and only ride the one (basically continue as I have been) and have no space.

Scenario 4: sell both bikes, both of which I would consider to be classics, and use proceeds to buy a more modern commuter bike. Probably my least favorite scenario right now. But definitely something I'm considering.

Scenario 5: A scenario I haven't thought of that you might have. Please share your ideas. What could I do? What would you do?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
unspecified.jpg (98.8 KB, 155 views)

Last edited by realperson; 05-13-17 at 10:22 PM. Reason: Added picture
Old 05-13-17, 10:27 PM
vonfilm 

Bikes: 73 Super Sport, 86 Tempo, 86 Peloton, 87 Super Sport, 83 Peugeot PFN10, 76 Super Course MK IV, 94 Univega Alpina 5.5

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 175 Post(s)
Liked 70 Times in 34 Posts
Keep your grandfather's Super Sport if it fits you. It is better and lighter than a World Sport and will last just as long. Transfer the best items from the World Sport to the Super Sport. Sell the World Sport if you really have storage issues.

Study this forum to learn more about N+1.
1983 Gitane Super Corsa
1991 Trek 750 Multitrack
Old 05-13-17, 10:44 PM
3alarmer 
Friendship is Magic

Bikes: old ones

Mentioned: 304 Post(s)
Quoted: 26419 Post(s)
Liked 10,380 Times in 7,208 Posts
The thing is I really like the bike I have now although it has some issues.
...what are the issues ? I live in Sacramento. There's no way I would commute on a bike without fenders here. Even if you don't ever ride to work when it's raining, without fenders you're less likely to ride when it's not raining but still wet on the roads.

I seriously doubt you can buy a better "modern" bike for commuting than the Super Sport...if it fits.
Old 05-13-17, 10:47 PM
vonfilm 

Bikes: 73 Super Sport, 86 Tempo, 86 Peloton, 87 Super Sport, 83 Peugeot PFN10, 76 Super Course MK IV, 94 Univega Alpina 5.5

realperson, how tall are you?
1983 Gitane Super Corsa
1991 Trek 750 Multitrack
Old 05-13-17, 10:57 PM
oddjob2
Still learning

Bikes: Still a garage full

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 847 Post(s)
Liked 66 Times in 44 Posts
Hard to beat a 1981ish Super Sport, but if you are riding it with 8" of seatpost exposed, it is too small.
Old 05-14-17, 08:24 AM
realperson

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by vonfilm
realperson, how tall are you?
About 5-11
Old 05-14-17, 08:27 AM
realperson

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by oddjob2
Hard to beat a 1981ish Super Sport, but if you are riding it with 8" of seatpost exposed, it is too small.
That's another thing I forgot to mention; my grandfather was more than half a foot shorter than I was. The super sport does seem a little small.
Old 05-14-17, 08:33 AM
cb400bill
Forum Moderator

Bikes: Fuji SL2.1 Carbon Di2 Cannondale Synapse Alloy 4 Trek Checkpoint ALR-5 Viscount Aerospace Pro Colnago Classic Rabobank Schwinn Waterford PMount Raleigh C50 Cromoly Hybrid Legnano Tipo Roma Pista

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 3090 Post(s)
Liked 6,599 Times in 3,785 Posts
Originally Posted by realperson
About 5-11
Super Sport is too small for you.
Old 05-14-17, 08:35 AM
realperson

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by 3alarmer
...what are the issues ? I live in Sacramento. There's no way I would commute on a bike without fenders here. Even if you don't ever ride to work when it's raining, without fenders you're less likely to ride when it's not raining but still wet on the roads.

I seriously doubt you can buy a better "modern" bike for commuting than the Super Sport...if it fits.
The main issue is the lack of real estate to put fenders on. You exactly hit on one of my concerns​ about commuting in Sacramento. I know I'll make some excuse about the roads being wet and then not ride that day. Aside from that, the other issues are small that I​ think I could fix myself.
Old 05-14-17, 09:01 AM
The Golden Boy 
Extraordinary Magnitude

Bikes: 1978 Trek TX700; 1978/79 Trek 736; 1984 Specialized Stumpjumper Sport; 1984 Schwinn Voyageur SP; 1985 Trek 620; 1985 Trek 720; 1986 Trek 400 Elance; 1987 Schwinn High Sierra; 1990 Miyata 1000LT

Mentioned: 84 Post(s)
Quoted: 2608 Post(s)
Liked 1,702 Times in 937 Posts
That's another thing I forgot to mention; my grandfather was more than half a foot shorter than I was. The super sport does seem a little small.
That looks like a 21" bike- good for someone around 5'8" or slightly shorter.

That is a top of the line bike. Because you have the racks and the aero water bottle- check values on eBay before you sell it. It's relatively rare for those bikes to come with those pieces, and they're nearly impossible to replace.

Commence to jigglin’ huh?!?!

"But hey, always love to hear from opinionated amateurs." -says some guy to Mr. Marshall.
Old 05-14-17, 10:41 AM
vonfilm 

Yes, way too small for you. I would think you need a 58 or 59cm. Strip the frame of everything except the headset and maybe the bottom bracket. Sell the frame/fork in C&V Sales Forum here.
1983 Gitane Super Corsa
1991 Trek 750 Multitrack
Old 05-14-17, 07:26 PM
Schwinn me
Banned

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 947 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
neat accessories, looks like a Schwinn approved pump.
Old 05-14-17, 07:28 PM
malcala622

Bikes: 1983 Basso Gap...2013 Colnago CX-1...2015 Bianchi Intenso

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 1199 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 717 Posts
Give it to a family member who will havr use for it if there are any relatives near you.
Old 05-14-17, 09:18 PM
3alarmer 
Friendship is Magic

Bikes: old ones

Mentioned: 304 Post(s)
Quoted: 26419 Post(s)
Liked 10,380 Times in 7,208 Posts
The main issue is the lack of real estate to put fenders on. You exactly hit on one of my concerns​ about commuting in Sacramento. I know I'll make some excuse about the roads being wet and then not ride that day. Aside from that, the other issues are small that I​ think I could fix myself.

...I don't think I've ever seen a Schwinn World Sport from that era that I didn't think I could mount fenders on.

I guess if you've got really fat tyres on there, and if it's got 27" wheels, maybe there's no room left. Were I you, before I gave up on it as a commuter, I'd take it over to maybe Addison's cycle Reparium, or the Edible Pedal in West Sac, or even the guys in the old Edible Pedal shop on Liestal Alley (Velo Trap ? )and get another opinion.

If you're happy with the bike in terms of fit, there's no reason you couldn't continue to commute on it if you can work the fendering thing out. Maybe drop down a tyre size for winter riding, or if you're feeling flush with cash, put on some 700c wheels......but once you start doing stuff like that you've probably invested more in the bike than you'll get back if you decide to sell it.

If the Super Sport were mine to dispose of, I would not strip and part it out. Those racks, for example, won't fit properly on a lot of other bikes.
Old 05-15-17, 12:06 AM
realperson

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by 3alarmer

...I don't think I've ever seen a Schwinn World Sport from that era that I didn't think I could mount fenders on.
The world sport currently​has 27 inch tires. There's absolutely no space for fenders. I actually have taken it to Edible Pedal and they agreed. They said I could do a rear flap fender but after putting a rear rack on I'm not sure how I would do that. I wonder if I put smaller tires on if I can then fit fenders.
Both the world sport and the super sport are beautiful bikes and I'd hate to get rid of either but it's not practical to have both.
Old 05-15-17, 12:18 AM
realperson

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Thanks everyone for the input. I've decided to put the Super Sport bike up for sale.
The final factor is the fact it was too small. Interesting how I didn't think of that earlier. I guess I was too​ distracted by the beautiful bike.
I'll just work with the World Sport that I have now.