Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Hybrid Bicycles
Reload this Page >

Official Trek DS owners thread

Search
Notices
Hybrid Bicycles Where else would you go to discuss these fun, versatile bikes?

Official Trek DS owners thread

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-19, 11:44 AM
DSL6
Trek DS Fan

Bikes: Trek 8.2 DS / Trek DS 4

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
My roads are really bad. I need it unlocked all the time. I would maybe lock it on a steep hill. Haven't tried it yet.
Old 06-03-19, 11:57 AM
Jac of Hearts

Bikes: 2012 Trek Dual Sport 8.5 Gary Fisher Collection

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked 77 Times in 46 Posts
Originally Posted by DSL6
My roads are really bad. I need it unlocked all the time. I would maybe lock it on a steep hill. Haven't tried it yet.
My remote lockout is one of the best features on my DS 8.5. IMHO
Old 06-03-19, 12:10 PM
DSL6
Trek DS Fan

Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
When do you guys find yourselves locking and unlocking?
Old 06-03-19, 12:12 PM
DSL6
Trek DS Fan

Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Today was my first day off. I retired Friday. Celebrated by taking the 8.2 to the John Muir Trail in WI. Had a great time! (Didn't lock the fork once. LOL)
Old 06-03-19, 01:22 PM
hokiefyd 

Bikes: More bikes than riders

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 1446 Post(s)
Liked 762 Times in 570 Posts
Today was my first day off. I retired Friday.
Congratulations on your retirement!
Likes For hokiefyd:
Old 06-03-19, 01:27 PM
DSL6
Trek DS Fan

Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Thanks! It felt kinda weird not going to work this morning.
Old 06-03-19, 01:33 PM
fat2fit

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 12 Posts
I'm age 30 and probably will be working at least for the next 30-40 years, I hope to be able to say this one day! lol
Likes For fat2fit:
Old 06-03-19, 10:36 PM
Jac of Hearts

When do you guys find yourselves locking and unlocking?
Anytime the pavement gets rough or on dirt or gravel I unlock. On smooth roads especially climbing or descending I leave it locked. The remote lockout feature is really handy and I use it a lot.
Likes For Jac of Hearts:
Old 06-03-19, 10:48 PM
Jac of Hearts

So last night I was putzing around looking to understand preload when I ran into this thread: "2012-2013 Trek 8.4 and 8.5 DS Fork Recall". Since I had just bought a 2012 DS 8.5, this really concerned me. I've had this bike past 35 mph and could not imagine the fork letting go at that speed. Add to that I am a big guy and I'm sure that puts a strain on the suspension.

So instead of riding this morning I was off to the Trek dealer to see if mine was affected, it is, and had it been changed, it had not. They had the new fork in stock and other than it being gloss black instead of matte gray, it was the exact same fork. I'm assuming Suntour fixed the problem.

3 hours later it was fixed and I picked it up. I will need to return in the morning because the mechanic routed the brake line under the fork brace instead of above it like it was. It's just too close to the tire for my comfort.

Anyway thanks for a great forum. If I hadn't been here I would not have known about the recall.

Last edited by Jac of Hearts; 06-04-19 at 06:53 AM.
Old 06-04-19, 10:42 AM
fat2fit

Originally Posted by Jac of Hearts
So last night I was putzing around looking to understand preload when I ran into this thread: "2012-2013 Trek 8.4 and 8.5 DS Fork Recall". Since I had just bought a 2012 DS 8.5, this really concerned me. I've had this bike past 35 mph and could not imagine the fork letting go at that speed. Add to that I am a big guy and I'm sure that puts a strain on the suspension.

So instead of riding this morning I was off to the Trek dealer to see if mine was affected, it is, and had it been changed, it had not. They had the new fork in stock and other than it being gloss black instead of matte gray, it was the exact same fork. I'm assuming Suntour fixed the problem.

3 hours later it was fixed and I picked it up. I will need to return in the morning because the mechanic routed the brake line under the fork brace instead of above it like it was. It's just too close to the tire for my comfort.

Anyway thanks for a great forum. If I hadn't been here I would not have known about the recall.
Awesome! Yeah, the Lockout is very useful. I was going to originally purchase an Trek FX2/FX3 with a rigid fork, but I'm so happy I did the Dual Sport instead. While my fork is locked out 80-90% of the time, being able to unlock it and go off road or on really rough terrain, it makes the ride x10 more comfortable than the carbon or steel rigid fork - the weight difference is literally 3lbs between the bikes, I could eat a big meal and make that difference up (lol)
Old 06-04-19, 12:11 PM
DSL6
Trek DS Fan

Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
I took the DS4 in to have the remote lockout looked at this morning. Hopefully it's good now. I'll test it out this afternoon.
Old 06-04-19, 03:37 PM
fat2fit

I took the DS4 in to have the remote lockout looked at this morning. Hopefully it's good now. I'll test it out this afternoon.
Sweet, keep us updated.
Old 06-04-19, 03:50 PM
DSL6
Trek DS Fan

Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Just got back from a 12 mile ride with some pretty hefty hills. I tried the remote a few times and it seems good. I can see how handy it would be for someone who lifts off the saddle when pedaling hard.

The gearing is awesome on the hills. I can almost go straight up (lol) with little effort. The high gear could be a little taller. With the wind at your back or a mild decline, it's pretty easy to turn. Overall, it's an awesome bike. I'm glad I got it. BTW, in the sun, you can see all kinds of colored specks in the anthracite. Beautiful paint job.
Old 06-04-19, 04:01 PM
fat2fit

Just got back from a 12 mile ride with some pretty hefty hills. I tried the remote a few times and it seems good. I can see how handy it would be for someone who lifts off the saddle when pedaling hard.

The gearing is awesome on the hills. I can almost go straight up (lol) with little effort. The high gear could be a little taller. With the wind at your back or a mild decline, it's pretty easy to turn. Overall, it's an awesome bike. I'm glad I got it. BTW, in the sun, you can see all kinds of colored specks in the anthracite. Beautiful paint job.
Nice! Yeah the lockout is great and I like the fact that you can adjust it while riding and don't have to stop, get off the bike, etc. Just bend down a bit and turn the knob! The low gearing is awesome I know, the high gear could be taller, yes. Like you said, if you are going down hill and have the wind at your back, the bike is on rails.
Old 06-05-19, 10:42 AM
DSL6
Trek DS Fan

Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Old 06-05-19, 03:44 PM
vitarra

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I was about to buy a DS but was put off by components, lack of tapered head ( most suspensions are tapered these days so no future proof) , Duotrap only S version (which looks old on new frame) overall Trek used to be good but now is way behind competition with its components and old fashioned solutions. If you look at Giant Roam 0 or Kross Evado 10.0 then the latest DS bike looks like their grandfather )
Old 06-05-19, 04:02 PM
DSL6
Trek DS Fan

Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
I considered a Roam but Giant is out of stock in my size. Nice bike. Also Specialized Crosstrail. That would have been a four hour trip to pick up. And, tune-ups, etc.

Every time I buy a bike I look at the big four and keep coming back to Trek. Their overall offerings suit me best and my dealer is only 40 minutes away.
Old 06-06-19, 03:23 AM
SoberPanda

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
While we are the topic of locking the suspension, do any of you know if keeping it locked while going on a rough terrain harms it in any way?
Old 06-06-19, 05:42 AM
hokiefyd 

Bikes: More bikes than riders

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 1446 Post(s)
Liked 762 Times in 570 Posts
Originally Posted by SoberPanda
While we are the topic of locking the suspension, do any of you know if keeping it locked while going on a rough terrain harms it in any way?
That will not harm it, no (within reason). You don't want to take it off 3-foot drops, but you wouldn't want to do that in any case, locked or unlocked.
Old 06-06-19, 08:04 AM
SoberPanda

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by hokiefyd
That will not harm it, no (within reason). You don't want to take it off 3-foot drops, but you wouldn't want to do that in any case, locked or unlocked.
Thanks mate. Hope you are correct here At times, while going at a good speed and the suspension locked when I jump over a speed breaker I kinda feel guilty lol.

Let me try and see if I can upload a picture now.
This is from a 100km ride few days back.
Likes For SoberPanda:
Old 06-10-19, 12:07 AM
Sumal86

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Pannier racks Dual Sport

Hi everyone. I have just purchased a Trek DS3 (L) for me and a Trek DS3 Women’s (M) for my wife. I wanted to fit pannier racks onto both of them and note that Bontrager have 3 versions. As I have disc brakes I know I should use that one but I have also looked at the Deluxe version. Now I can’t seem to find anywhere if the Deluxe version will fit on the Dual Sport bikes? Can anyone help?

I have also looked at the Bontrager bags. The interchange deluxe, large and small shopper bags. Any advice from people who have used these bags?

I also wanted to install a kickstand but again not clear which ones work best with the Dual Sport series. Any advice on the ones you have would be great.
Old 06-10-19, 05:39 AM
DSL6
Trek DS Fan

Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Sumal86
Hi everyone. I have just purchased a Trek DS3 (L) for me and a Trek DS3 Women’s (M) for my wife.
Congratulations! Great bikes. Have fun with them.
Old 06-10-19, 08:13 AM
Franc Franclin

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 5 Posts
You get over that!!!
Likes For Franc Franclin:
Old 06-10-19, 12:15 PM
Jac of Hearts

I also wanted to install a kickstand but again not clear which ones work best with the Dual Sport series. Any advice on the ones you have would be great.
I ordered a Greenfield from my LBS and it would not fit with the disc. I chatted with Trek and they said the Bontrager rear stand would also not fit. If my bike was newer, like yours, I would get the factory stand that bolts into the frame. But since mine is not threaded for the factory stand I bought a Lumintrail Rear Mount Bicycle Kickstand Adjustable Aluminum Alloy Bike Stand fits 24"-28" from Amazon. I am very happy with it.

Old 06-10-19, 05:14 PM
drb372

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 4 Posts
Hi everyone. I have just purchased a Trek DS3 (L) for me and a Trek DS3 Women’s (M) for my wife. I wanted to fit pannier racks onto both of them and note that Bontrager have 3 versions. As I have disc brakes I know I should use that one but I have also looked at the Deluxe version. Now I can’t seem to find anywhere if the Deluxe version will fit on the Dual Sport bikes? Can anyone help?

I have also looked at the Bontrager bags. The interchange deluxe, large and small shopper bags. Any advice from people who have used these bags?

My wife and I just purchased Trek DS3's also. I bought a Topeak Explorer non-disc rack and their MTX DXP Trunkbag. I am extremely pleased with both the bikes and the rack/bag system. We both have the Bontrager adjustable kickstands. The stands work great.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.