Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Finally got my hands on a GT triple triangle frame!

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Finally got my hands on a GT triple triangle frame!

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-16, 07:18 AM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5224 Post(s)
Liked 3,581 Times in 2,342 Posts
sold mine a couple months ago so I cud pay for snow tires for my new car. go figure
Old 06-11-18, 04:46 PM
3speedslow

Bikes: A few

Mentioned: 117 Post(s)
Quoted: 1942 Post(s)
Liked 1,073 Times in 637 Posts

1995 Force
​​​​​​​Riding now!
Old 06-12-18, 03:30 PM
RobbieTunes
Banned.

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 378 Post(s)
Liked 1,409 Times in 909 Posts
If it has the metal head badge, that's worth something. The helmet one.
Originally Posted by Fahrenheit531
I just passed on a 56 cm Shogun Samurai with triple triangle and full 105. Tange Infinity tubes; kind of on the heavy side. It's still listed on the Tucson CL at $60 and with no pics it'll probably remain there indefinitely. It's got the blue/white/pink paint in semi-rough shape. I've got half a mind to go back and pick it up for, I dunno, $40, but I'm not looking to flip or strip right now so I probably won't bother. Anyway, a pretty decent deal for anyone so inclined.
Old 06-12-18, 04:40 PM
3speedslow

Likes For 3speedslow:
Old 06-12-18, 04:58 PM
top506
Death fork? Naaaah!!

Bikes: Seriously downsizing.

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 559 Post(s)
Liked 629 Times in 280 Posts
Lookin' good!
I just hauled mine out of the back of the barn for a cleaning and a coat of polish:

(looking for a picture and not seeing it? Thank the Photobucket fiasco.PM me and I'll link it up.)
Old 06-12-18, 10:55 PM
Fahrenheit531 
52psi

Bikes: Schwinn Volare ('78); Raleigh Competition GS ('79)

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 790 Post(s)
Liked 802 Times in 391 Posts
Originally Posted by RobbieTunes
If it has the metal head badge, that's worth something. The helmet one.
Naw, it was the decal type.
A race bike in any era is a highly personal choice that at its "best" balances the requirements of fit, weight, handling, durability and cost tempered by the willingness to toss it and oneself down the pavement at considerable speed. ~Bandera
Old 06-13-18, 04:05 PM
3speedslow

Yours too Top! I just switched out the 11-28 cassette for a 12-21 for the flat terrain here. With a FD braze on, is yours newer ?
Old 06-13-18, 04:35 PM
top506
Death fork? Naaaah!!

Originally Posted by 3speedslow
Yours too Top! I just switched out the 11-28 cassette for a 12-21 for the flat terrain here. With a FD braze on, is yours newer ?
Unknown. I assumed mine was a '94, with the semi-crowned fork. There's very little data about GT on the web, less about the road bikes.

(looking for a picture and not seeing it? Thank the Photobucket fiasco.PM me and I'll link it up.)

Last edited by top506; 07-14-18 at 10:13 AM.
Old 07-14-18, 05:47 AM
top506
Death fork? Naaaah!!

This just followed me home yesterday. '94 Force. Very, very clean and box-stock, right down to the original tires. 56cm square.

Last edited by top506; 07-14-18 at 06:00 AM.
Old 07-14-18, 08:36 AM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5224 Post(s)
Liked 3,581 Times in 2,342 Posts
Originally Posted by top506
This just followed me home yesterday. '94 Force. Very, very clean and box-stock, right down to the original tires. 56cm square
looks solid. wheels true?
Old 07-14-18, 10:08 AM
top506
Death fork? Naaaah!!

Older. Mine is '94 while yours is '96, the only two years they came in red(AFAIK). The unicrown fork and RSX group are also indicators.

Old 07-03-19, 12:54 AM
HPL
Barred @ Velocipedesalon

Bikes: Why list them on a non-cycling website!

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 144 Post(s)
Liked 71 Times in 55 Posts
GT Saturn Team Bike

Originally Posted by velomateo
Good score, and you got it for super cheep too.

I love my recently acquired GT. It's an ex-Saturn Team bike...really a fun bike to ride.

I have a Saturn Team GT bike (rider Brian Walton, Olympic medalist) that I salvaged; white frame with yellow "aero" blade style fork. It's in rough shape , but should clean up okay with some new parts. It has full Dura-Ace group (I think 7400 series), but had no wheels (front wheel was some sort of circus joke!, so no wheels). I got the cassette sprockets in a bag, but that's it. Do you know what year(s) these were being built/raced (if same as yours, I know Walton raced for them '93-'00), what type of rims (I assume D-A hubs) they were fitted with, and were they custom frames designed specifically for the racing team or available to the general public under different wrappings? Photo is on the "Catch of the day" thread.

Thanks,

Last edited by HPL; 07-03-19 at 01:10 AM.
Old 07-03-19, 06:53 PM
3speedslow

Cool beans!
Old 07-04-19, 04:59 AM
ColonelSanders
Banned.

Bikes: 2017 Surly Troll with XT Drive Train, 2017 Merida Big Nine XT Edition, 2016 Giant Toughroad SLR 2, 1995 Trek 830

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 1916 Post(s)
Liked 310 Times in 218 Posts

Beautiful red colour.
Old 07-04-19, 07:15 PM
3speedslow

^^^ Thanks! I loved the ride and took it a step further with a CF fork with the same specs as the chro-mo original. Rides like a rocket! A little too light for me though.
Old 07-19-19, 02:40 AM
HPL
Barred @ Velocipedesalon

GT "SATURN" Team frame set

Getting ready to strip it, clean, and replacing parts. Either polishing cranks or replacing, we'll see how one turns out. Has corrosion on some alloy parts but frame shows no oxidation around bare metal areas. Rust on some steel hardware. Must have been stored near the ocean. Paint is in decent shape, can do basic touch-up of bad spots, easy to match white and yellow. Haven't decided on wrap or saddle yet.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
IMG_20190718_145253.jpg (878.4 KB, 232 views)
IMG_20190718_142146.jpg (970.6 KB, 229 views)
IMG_20190718_144025.jpg (620.3 KB, 228 views)
IMG_20190718_142700.jpg (483.1 KB, 228 views)
Old 07-19-19, 01:43 PM
abellanti

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked 35 Times in 15 Posts
great bikes, really love my titanium Edge
Likes For abellanti:
Old 07-20-19, 08:58 PM
HPL
Barred @ Velocipedesalon

Originally Posted by abellanti
great bikes, really love my titanium Edge
Nice bike, I like it also. I can't wait to rock mine down the trail; I don't imagine I'll be seeing many of either.
Old 09-15-19, 09:27 AM
krazebill

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I picked up a GT Pantera, Blue and a full Suntour Drivetrain with Friction shifters. Not sure what year, most of the decals are faded or off. Top tube says GT All Terra or All Terrain-faded or off- The Main tube has GT Pantera on it. I figure it to be a 1995 but that's completely guesswork! It is a Great ride though! Any information about it is appreciated!
Old 12-04-19, 02:35 PM
velomateo

Bikes: '87 Serotta Colorado,'96 Moots VaMoots, Bertoni MAX, Eddy Merckx Grand Prix Team USA

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 171 Post(s)
Liked 338 Times in 147 Posts
Originally Posted by HPL
I have a Saturn Team GT bike (rider Brian Walton, Olympic medalist) that I salvaged; white frame with yellow "aero" blade style fork. It's in rough shape , but should clean up okay with some new parts. It has full Dura-Ace group (I think 7400 series), but had no wheels (front wheel was some sort of circus joke!, so no wheels). I got the cassette sprockets in a bag, but that's it. Do you know what year(s) these were being built/raced (if same as yours, I know Walton raced for them '93-'00), what type of rims (I assume D-A hubs) they were fitted with, and were they custom frames designed specifically for the racing team or available to the general public under different wrappings? Photo is on the "Catch of the day" thread.

Thanks,
HPL, sorry I missed your question - that thread has been dormant for awhile, and I don't visit hear as much as I used to. I hope your GT resto is going well. I don't know the complete Saturn history, but I did determine that my GT was from the 1998 race year. My frame (and yours) were brazed by David Tiemeyer, at the GT custom shop in Longmont CO. After I bought my bike I was able dig up some info, but not many images of the bikes. I read that Mr. Tiemeyer was involved, and by chance stumbled upon his email address in an old ad for a frame he was selling. David replied to me and was very happy to give me information about the bikes. He asked me for some frame measurements to help narrow down whose bike I had. He informed me that they did not keep records by serial number, but he still had build sheets and measurements for the bikes, which was amazing. My bike was built for Clara Hughes, Walton was also in the hunt because they were similar size frames, but his bike had a longer top tube than Clara's bike.

My bike came pretty much complete with the original Dura Ace 7800 group, but had some cheap wheels and junk bar and stem. I found pics of them running the early Mavic Cosmic Carbone wheels, so I hunted down a set - with the early series silver spokes. The bike had a Schwinn embossed Rolls saddle when I bought it. I switched it out for the NOS Rolls with and sold off the Schwinn. I later discovered that Schwinn was purchased by GT's parent company during that time period and the saddle was most likely correct and original. Oh well, mine looked better and was fresh.
The bike was really fun to ride. It had a great ability to hold speed. The forward sloping top tube was a bit of a problem for my 50+ y.o. back, so it was eventually sold off to fellow in Japan. I hope its still going strong and being used. I did purchase another GT though. A Team USA frame, in near mint condition. I could never get that one to fit or ride like the Saturn - so it was sold too.
Please post some pics as your resto progresses. I hope this information was helpful, sorry it got a little long.
Cheers

Last edited by velomateo; 12-04-19 at 04:02 PM.
Likes For velomateo:
Old 12-17-19, 02:49 AM
HPL
Barred @ Velocipedesalon

GT Frame Identification

QUOTE=velomateo;21233379]HPL, sorry I missed your question - that thread has been dormant for awhile, and I don't visit hear as much as I used to. I hope your GT resto is going well. I don't know the complete Saturn history, but I did determine that my GT was from the 1998 race year. My frame (and yours) were brazed by David Tiemeyer, at the GT custom shop in Longmont CO.[/QUOTE]

Thank you my friend,

I remember seeing that USA bike before, beautiful. I never saw your Saturn build with the Cosmics on it; I would like to do the same if I can find them. I had no wheels or saddle when purchased as reference to OE other than I assumed Mavic rims and/or hubs due to decals on the frame. Since I've never seen this particular style frame in a photo (stand alone, or in a race/team photo), I don't know specifically as to the actual wheels and saddle that may have been used at that time. Was the "USA" frame the same year as the "Saturn" frame? I do not what year(s) GT used/altered the top tube "extension" typified by both of your examples, as opposed to mine. Your frames have a much shorter "extension", partially due to it being curved along shape of the seat tube; mine has a more pronounced "extension" and is "squared-off"/flat. I don't see how it can be later than '00 if it is indeed a "Walton" bike since he was gone from the team after '00. I thought it might be earlier than yours, but I think GT wasn't with Saturn until '97(?). If you still have David's email and you do not believe him to be adverse to you sharing it with me, please forward in a PM. Thank you again for your time.

PS. I have just recently seen my frame (apparently not raced, spare frame), but no reference as to the year.
Old 01-14-20, 08:20 AM
KingpinNZ

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
cool looking bikes everyone!
Old 08-13-20, 06:51 PM
Nahuel_B58
Uruguay

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 10 Posts
I sold it some months ago but here is my coaster, 26'' rims, 52t cranks.

carbon fiber vinyl. -30 pounds

Old 10-07-20, 02:26 PM
lawzags

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by velomateo
HPL, sorry I missed your question - that thread has been dormant for awhile, and I don't visit hear as much as I used to. I hope your GT resto is going well. I don't know the complete Saturn history, but I did determine that my GT was from the 1998 race year. My frame (and yours) were brazed by David Tiemeyer, at the GT custom shop in Longmont CO. After I bought my bike I was able dig up some info, but not many images of the bikes. I read that Mr. Tiemeyer was involved, and by chance stumbled upon his email address in an old ad for a frame he was selling. David replied to me and was very happy to give me information about the bikes. He asked me for some frame measurements to help narrow down whose bike I had. He informed me that they did not keep records by serial number, but he still had build sheets and measurements for the bikes, which was amazing. My bike was built for Clara Hughes, Walton was also in the hunt because they were similar size frames, but his bike had a longer top tube than Clara's bike.

My bike came pretty much complete with the original Dura Ace 7800 group, but had some cheap wheels and junk bar and stem. I found pics of them running the early Mavic Cosmic Carbone wheels, so I hunted down a set - with the early series silver spokes. The bike had a Schwinn embossed Rolls saddle when I bought it. I switched it out for the NOS Rolls with and sold off the Schwinn. I later discovered that Schwinn was purchased by GT's parent company during that time period and the saddle was most likely correct and original. Oh well, mine looked better and was fresh.
The bike was really fun to ride. It had a great ability to hold speed. The forward sloping top tube was a bit of a problem for my 50+ y.o. back, so it was eventually sold off to fellow in Japan. I hope its still going strong and being used. I did purchase another GT though. A Team USA frame, in near mint condition. I could never get that one to fit or ride like the Saturn - so it was sold too.
Please post some pics as your resto progresses. I hope this information was helpful, sorry it got a little long.
Cheers
velomateo, any chance you still have that email address for David Tiemeyer? I just picked up one of these Saturn frames myself and only just started building it out, and I'd be really interested in seeing if I can figure out who it was originally built for. Thanks!