Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Electronics, Lighting, & Gadgets
Reload this Page >

Shimano 6870 Di2 Shifters Controlling Garmin

Notices
Electronics, Lighting, & Gadgets HRM, GPS, MP3, HID. Whether it's got an acronym or not, here's where you'll find discussions on all sorts of tools, toys and gadgets.

Old 07-28-19, 07:32 AM
Orion12521

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts

I asked this question last year, but I believe this had now become possible, do along again:

Searched the forum and the internet and not really getting a clear answer on this. Can you control a Garmin Edge 520 using 6870 shifters? I currently have the 1st Gen D-Fly, SM EWW01. What is the minimum I need to make this happen? My current setup uses full Synchro Shift and if possible, I'd like to use the forward buttons on the Di2 levers to control the Garmin. 6870 group set, with a SM EWW01 D-Fly and the battery has been upgraded to BT-DN110.

Last edited by Orion12521; 07-28-19 at 07:38 AM.
Old 07-29-19, 05:28 AM
Steve B.

Bikes: Flyxii FR322, Cannondale Topstone, Miyata City Liner, Specialized Chisel, Specialized Epic Evo

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 3220 Post(s)
Liked 2,042 Times in 1,169 Posts
6870 is an Ultegra group. As I recall the BT buttons were introduced with the 8050 series, so, No you cannot do Garmin control with 6870 shift levers.
Old 07-29-19, 06:01 PM
Marcus_Ti
FLIR Kitten to 0.05C

Bikes: Roadie: Seven Axiom Race Ti w/Chorus 11s. CX/Adventure: Carver Gravel Grinder w/ Di2

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 2349 Post(s)
Liked 406 Times in 254 Posts
Originally Posted by Orion12521
I asked this question last year, but I believe this had now become possible, do along again:

Searched the forum and the internet and not really getting a clear answer on this. Can you control a Garmin Edge 520 using 6870 shifters? I currently have the 1st Gen D-Fly, SM EWW01. What is the minimum I need to make this happen? My current setup uses full Synchro Shift and if possible, I'd like to use the forward buttons on the Di2 levers to control the Garmin. 6870 group set, with a SM EWW01 D-Fly and the battery has been upgraded to BT-DN110.
This should be possible....what options do you have in your Garmin for setting up button input commands?

Are the buttons you want to use deprogrammed from shifter functions in e-tube?
Old 07-29-19, 07:09 PM
Steve B.

Bikes: Flyxii FR322, Cannondale Topstone, Miyata City Liner, Specialized Chisel, Specialized Epic Evo

Originally Posted by Marcus_Ti
This should be possible....what options do you have in your Garmin for setting up button input commands?

Are the buttons you want to use deprogrammed from shifter functions in e-tube?
That’s the rub, you can reprogram the standard shift levers/buttons to do something else, but you don’t get the top mount extra buttons.

I assume if using Synchro shift you could configure to where you don’t use the left shift system at all and could then make it move Garmin screens. But as Marcus stated, you need to to figure e-tube to have a set of shift functions on a shifter do nothing. Not sure that can happen.
Old 07-30-19, 09:08 AM
Orion12521

Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Steve B.
That’s the rub, you can reprogram the standard shift levers/buttons to do something else, but you don’t get the top mount extra buttons.

I assume if using Synchro shift you could configure to where you don’t use the left shift system at all and could then make it move Garmin screens. But as Marcus stated, you need to to figure e-tube to have a set of shift functions on a shifter do nothing. Not sure that can happen.
I do not currently have the option to change any of the buttons to the Garmin Channel options. I believe it is because the 1st Gen DFly I have is incompatible. I went into the configuration system and created a setup manually applying Garmin Channel 1 to left shifter X and Garmin Channel 2 to right shifter X, saved it as a file and tried to apply the configuration. ETube discarded the changes saying the Garmin buttons could not be applied. I have the new Bluetooth/ANT+ EW-WU111 on order. I found a YouTube video from a gentleman using that configuration and he is able to use his 6870 shifters to control his Garmin headunit:

Old 07-30-19, 09:11 AM
Marcus_Ti
FLIR Kitten to 0.05C

Bikes: Roadie: Seven Axiom Race Ti w/Chorus 11s. CX/Adventure: Carver Gravel Grinder w/ Di2

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 2349 Post(s)
Liked 406 Times in 254 Posts
Originally Posted by Orion12521
I do not currently have the option to change any of the buttons to the Garmin Channel options. I believe it is because the 1st Gen DFly I have is incompatible. I went into the configuration system and created a setup manually applying Garmin Channel 1 to left shifter X and Garmin Channel 2 to right shifter X, saved it as a file and tried to apply the configuration. ETube discarded the changes saying the Garmin buttons could not be applied. I have the new Bluetooth/ANT+ EW-WU111 on order. I found a YouTube video from a gentleman using that configuration and he is able to use his 6870 shifters to control his Garmin headunit:
Odd. When I still used my Edge1000 is would periodically ask about setting up Di2 button controls for the head unit...in spite of having R785 shifters with only X/Y buttons and no dedicated spare buttons.

Does the Garmin itself have a button setup menu you can use?
Old 07-30-19, 09:15 AM
Orion12521

Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts
Odd. When I still used my Edge1000 is would periodically ask about setting up Di2 button controls for the head unit...in spite of having R785 shifters with only X/Y buttons and no dedicated spare buttons.

I believe I have seen that option, but I don't have any buttons on the shifters assigned to any of the Garmin Channels. When configuring the shifters I only have the option of assigning front and rear derailleur up and down shifts. I'm pretty confident that changing it the DFly unit to the newer version will make this option available.
Old 07-30-19, 09:35 AM
Steve B.

Yes it does. I just had to factory reset my 1000 and as per the setup and when connecting my Di2 system the Garmin screen had a number of options as to how the the 8050 buttons functioned, - L Single Press, L Press and Hold, etc...
Old 08-06-19, 03:50 PM
Orion12521

Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts
Can now confirm that 6870 Di2 Shifters can control a Garmin head unit (Edge 520) with the newer DFly, EW-WU111. As soon as I swapped it for the first gen DFly, there were new options that were previously not available in the E-Tube desktop version. Programmed buttons and just confirmed everything is working as it should.