Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Light Bicycle Wheels

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Light Bicycle Wheels

Old 07-23-19, 10:08 PM
smashndash

Bikes: 2017 Specialized Allez Sprint Comp

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 850 Post(s)
Liked 344 Times in 247 Posts
Originally Posted by saverin
Has anyone tested the performance of the grooved brake track? wondering if it provides any improvement in performance over the std 'high temp' brake track.
It’s possible to slightly overheat the grooved graphene track. The sound goes from a pleasant whir to a shrill screech. The necessary force goes up slightly as well. But this is only on exceptionally technical descents. I’ve done the same with my alloy wheelset. No wet testing yet - don’t think it’s going to rain in CA for a while. I haven’t tested the non-grooved either but it’s supposedly only better in the dry and I don’t really expect much more dry power.
Old 07-24-19, 10:42 AM
saverin

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by smashndash
It’s possible to slightly overheat the grooved graphene track. The sound goes from a pleasant whir to a shrill screech. The necessary force goes up slightly as well. But this is only on exceptionally technical descents. I’ve done the same with my alloy wheelset. No wet testing yet - don’t think it’s going to rain in CA for a while. I haven’t tested the non-grooved either but it’s supposedly only better in the dry and I don’t really expect much more dry power.
Just asking for clarity, and don't mean to insinuate anything regarding your skills with setting up your brakes, but are your brakes properly toe'd in?
Old 07-24-19, 11:19 AM
smashndash

Bikes: 2017 Specialized Allez Sprint Comp

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 850 Post(s)
Liked 344 Times in 247 Posts
Originally Posted by saverin
Just asking for clarity, and don't mean to insinuate anything regarding your skills with setting up your brakes, but are your brakes properly toe'd in?
Fair enough. I don’t toe in my brake pads. I’ve found that pads naturally wear in the toe-in direction. Initially, yes they feel weird but they wear in fine. Also I felt like I lost power when I tried toeing-in in the past. I could see the screeching being fixed by the toe-in for sure, but I think it’s more of a result of the brake track heating up and the “slip” being more frequent.

Last edited by smashndash; 07-24-19 at 11:28 AM.
Old 07-28-19, 08:26 PM
Deceiver

Bikes: 2018 Domane SL5

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm familiar with that noise from coming down GMR a month or so ago.
Old 07-29-19, 10:37 AM
Rides4Beer

Bikes: SuperSix Evo | Revolt

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 733 Post(s)
Liked 815 Times in 414 Posts
Yup, same here, but only on very hard braking efforts, like on a technical descent as mentioned. No loss in braking power, just some extra noise.
Old 07-31-19, 03:31 AM
Leaa

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
These Light Bicycle wheels look great! Any downsides? Tnx!
Old 07-31-19, 01:05 PM
jfranci3

Quoted: 120 Post(s)
Liked 44 Times in 38 Posts
For disc brakes? Just the delivery time.
For rim brakes? Above + the brake tracks can't take the same heat some brand name units can because they use fancier resins.
Old 08-01-19, 07:45 AM
Rides4Beer

Bikes: SuperSix Evo | Revolt

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 733 Post(s)
Liked 815 Times in 414 Posts
Originally Posted by jfranci3
For rim brakes? Above + the brake tracks can't take the same heat some brand name units can because they use fancier resins.
What makes you say this? I have yet to see a single report of any type of resin failure or braking issues with any LB rim brake rims.
Old 08-01-19, 07:57 AM
noodle soup

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 4717 Post(s)
Liked 1,882 Times in 998 Posts
Originally Posted by Rides4Beer
What makes you say this? I have yet to see a single report of any type of resin failure or braking issues with any LB rim brake rims.
He's thinking of the way things used to be 5 years ago.
Old 08-01-19, 08:50 AM
jfranci3

Quoted: 120 Post(s)
Liked 44 Times in 38 Posts
Have offshore rims upped their resin game?

https://cyclingtips.com/2012/11/josh-poertner-zipp/

Current survey...
Looks like common carbon resin: 160c-200c
LB says they are using 280c stuff
Zipp uses 320c now (??)

Looks like the non-US, non-UK resins have improved a great deal. 240c was the 2012 standard, now we're at that for most rims on the market.
Old 08-01-19, 10:10 AM
noodle soup

Originally Posted by TimothyH
Light Bicycle emailed the graphic below.

As suspected, the grooves point in the direction of travel.

Have you built up these wheels yet?
Old 08-04-19, 07:20 AM
Steve90068

Bikes: Road - Lynskey. Mountain - Trek Fuel EX

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
I just received my R45 wheelset and the quality is great. However, to my surprise, they didn't come with rim strips. I think every wheel I've purchased over the years has always come with them so I've never actually purchased any before. The strips from my aluminum Boyd wheels appears too wide

Can someone point me in the right direction for the correct rim strips? The Inner/Outer is Width 17.9mm/25mm

Also, these will be setup with standard tubes, not tubeless but I'm reading that I should just use tubeless tape. is that correct?

Last edited by Steve90068; 08-04-19 at 07:41 AM.
Old 08-04-19, 09:17 AM
Quiglesnbits

Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by Steve90068
Can someone point me in the right direction for the correct rim strips? The Inner/Outer is Width 17.9mm/25mm
If you can measure the size of the spoke holes, then you will know for sure, but ideally the tape should cover as much of the flat bottom center section of the rim as it can. Something like 14-622 is more than likely pretty close to the right size for any road rim. You don't need to use tape specifically branded for tubeless, unless you think you might want to do that in the future. Something like Continental Easy Tape or Schwalbe Rim Tape would be fine.
Old 08-04-19, 11:21 AM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 354 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20808 Post(s)
Liked 9,450 Times in 4,668 Posts
I just received my R45 wheelset and the quality is great. However, to my surprise, they didn't come with rim strips. I think every wheel I've purchased over the years has always come with them so I've never actually purchased any before. The strips from my aluminum Boyd wheels appears too wide

Also, these will be setup with standard tubes, not tubeless but I'm reading that I should just use tubeless tape. is that correct?
My Reynold's are 1mm more narrow internally and require 21/22mm tape. I'd def go with tubeless tape - tolerances can be tight, so go with the thinner tape to minimize potential tire mounting headaches.
Old 08-04-19, 08:13 PM
Ericoschmitt

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
My set of 56mm rim brakes have some 3000km now, been ridden in hills a lot, braking tracks look almost like new, just slightly "polished/brighter".

When the are very hot they can do squeak/whistle if you brake hard/long, but will work fine. The limiting factor is still not braking harder cuz I'd fly over the bars, so they brake better than I can actually use.

The brake pads are the ones that came with it, LB blue pads. No sign of wear, they just look a bit "dirty", darker blue where it touches the rim.

I use mtb rim tape by SunRingle (what lbs had) 21mm wide (I would have tried wider but lbs had 21mm only so whatever), with 25mm GP5k tubeless tire, zero sealant. Hard to fit but doable with plastic levers. They measure 29mm wide inflated.

Bitex hubs are going strong.

Thats it guys, just buy those babies, they are great. Fast light strong cheap and beautiful, plus crosswinds aren't a concern eventhough I'm light. I only use those now full time, the old Zipps are gone, climbing wheels are gone, 32spoke training wheels are gone. What else could I want?

Last edited by Ericoschmitt; 08-04-19 at 08:18 PM.
Old 08-08-19, 02:43 PM
Steve90068

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Just got these mounted up. The front wheel isn't perfectly true which is annoying but otherwise everything looks great

Old 08-08-19, 04:42 PM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Bikes: 2018 Rodriguez Custom Fixed Gear, 2017 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2015 Bianchi Pista, 2002 Fuji Robaix

Mentioned: 235 Post(s)
Quoted: 6844 Post(s)
Liked 736 Times in 469 Posts
Originally Posted by noodle soup
Have you built up these wheels yet?
Sorry I didn't see this.

They are at ProWheelBuilder as I type this. ETA is August 14.

No rush, really, as I believe I might have a stress fracture in my tibia. Waiting for radiology to read the x-rays and will no more in a day or two but it doesn't feel good. If so then I'll be reading books for a few weeks rather than cycling.

-Tim-
Old 08-08-19, 05:14 PM
Marcus_Ti
FLIR Kitten to 0.05C

Bikes: Roadie: Seven Axiom Race Ti w/Chorus 11s. CX/Adventure: Carver Gravel Grinder w/ Di2

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 2349 Post(s)
Liked 406 Times in 254 Posts
Sorry I didn't see this.

No rush, really, as I believe I might have a stress fracture in my tibia. Waiting for radiology to read the x-rays and will no more in a day or two but it doesn't feel good. If so then I'll be reading books for a few weeks rather than cycling.

-Tim-
Oooo. Ouchie. Sucky end to a cycling season.
Old 08-08-19, 05:35 PM
Deceiver

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Ericoschmitt
My set of 56mm rim brakes have some 3000km now, been ridden in hills a lot, braking tracks look almost like new, just slightly "polished/brighter".

When the are very hot they can do squeak/whistle if you brake hard/long, but will work fine. The limiting factor is still not braking harder cuz I'd fly over the bars, so they brake better than I can actually use.

The brake pads are the ones that came with it, LB blue pads. No sign of wear, they just look a bit "dirty", darker blue where it touches the rim.

I use mtb rim tape by SunRingle (what lbs had) 21mm wide (I would have tried wider but lbs had 21mm only so whatever), with 25mm GP5k tubeless tire, zero sealant. Hard to fit but doable with plastic levers. They measure 29mm wide inflated.

Bitex hubs are going strong.

Thats it guys, just buy those babies, they are great. Fast light strong cheap and beautiful, plus crosswinds aren't a concern eventhough I'm light. I only use those now full time, the old Zipps are gone, climbing wheels are gone, 32spoke training wheels are gone. What else could I want?

May I ask what brakes you're running? Like the specific model?
Old 08-08-19, 06:16 PM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Bikes: 2018 Rodriguez Custom Fixed Gear, 2017 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2015 Bianchi Pista, 2002 Fuji Robaix

Mentioned: 235 Post(s)
Quoted: 6844 Post(s)
Liked 736 Times in 469 Posts
Originally Posted by Marcus_Ti
Oooo. Ouchie. Sucky end to a cycling season.
Life goes on and I'll refocus.

People at Church have been asking me to start a new Bible study and I really should. God works in mysterious ways!

Fill me with joy and gladness;
let the bones which you have crushed rejoice.

- Psalm 51:8

-PAX-
Old 08-08-19, 06:56 PM
August West

Bikes: Domane SLR7 Project One

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 152 Post(s)
Liked 173 Times in 105 Posts
The front wheel isn't perfectly true which is annoying but otherwise everything looks great

Nice. Were your wheels built in China or North America?
Old 08-08-19, 07:32 PM
Ericoschmitt

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Deceiver
May I ask what brakes you're running? Like the specific model?
Campagnolo skeleton non-series (the cheapest one), I bet any skeleton would work
Old 08-08-19, 08:19 PM
Steve90068

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by August West
Nice. Were your wheels built in China or North America?
china
Old 08-08-19, 09:09 PM
Deceiver

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Ericoschmitt
Campagnolo skeleton non-series (the cheapest one), I bet any skeleton would work
Ahh yeah oops, you had told me that before.

Last edited by Deceiver; 08-08-19 at 09:19 PM.
Old 08-08-19, 10:29 PM
noodle soup

Sorry I didn't see this.

-Tim-
Sorry to hear about the possible injury. Sometimes a little forced rest will make you come back a little more rested and focused.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.