Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Tandem Cycling
Reload this Page >

Vintage Schwinn Tandem

Search
Notices
Tandem Cycling A bicycle built for two. Want to find out more about this wonderful world of tandems? Check out this forum to talk with other tandem enthusiasts. Captains and stokers welcome!

Vintage Schwinn Tandem

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-09, 04:04 PM
mamaC

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Vintage Schwinn Tandem

I'm still trying to 'perfect' my bike train (linked in my signature) that I use for myself and my 4 kids (ages 1, 3, 5, 7). Currently I have a Specialized bike, front mount infant seat, tag-a-long trek bike, with a trailer hauling 2 kids attached to that.

Now, ideally, for next summer & beyond, I think I'd like a tandem bike, attach the trail-a-bike and then the trailer.

I was planning to save up all winter & buy in the spring, but my neighbor just mentioned that he's going to sell his old Schwinn tandem for $200 but offered to sell it to me for $100. He thinks it's from the 1960's. 5 speed. Small rust & everything is in working order. Looks like this:

I just want this tandem for fun rides to get ice cream or grocery getting with the kids.

I'm thinking for $100 + the cost of replacing the front tire it's well worth it. But what am I forgetting to consider with this cheap vintage as opposed to a used $400-600 tandem?

Thanks so much for your expertise!
Old 08-26-09, 05:05 PM
bobthib
Legs; OK! Lungs; not!

Bikes: ''09 Motobecane Immortal Pro (Yellow), '02 Diamondback Hybrid, '09 Lamborghini Viaggio, ''11 Cervelo P2

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 4 Posts
For the use you are planning, you got a great deal. Don't worry, be happy. Have fun!
Old 08-26-09, 05:08 PM
zonatandem

Bikes: Custom Zona c/f tandem + Scott Plasma single

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 11 Posts
With the $500 bucks you save getting the Schwinn now you can buy them kids a LOT of ice cream!
Look at the Schwinn as a learning tool . . . heck it could cost that much to rent a tandem for a couple weekends! Tandems aren't at all like doing the choo-train set-up you've got now (a bit of a learning curve, but you can do it!); so for a hundred bucks it will be well worth it.
And you can still save up some $$$ for a better tandem later on and get your money back selling the Schwinn.
For your info, the nice l-o-n-g chain guard on the Schwinn could be worth almost a hundred bucks to some collector.
Hey, you've got a good neighbor!
Pedal on mamaC!!!
Rudy and Kay/zonatandem
Old 08-26-09, 05:11 PM
zonatandem

Bikes: Custom Zona c/f tandem + Scott Plasma single

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 11 Posts
P.S. Nice to see everyone wearing a helmet.
Pedal on mamaC!!!
Old 08-26-09, 05:32 PM
dvs cycles

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
If I found one of those in the shape it seems to be in the picture I would snap it up at twice the price!
Wife and I want a beach cruiser tandem someday for more casual rides than our Santana demands.
Old 08-26-09, 06:54 PM
mamaC

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Wow! Okay then! I'll buy it! I wasn't sure if I was getting a deal or a heap!

Thank you all for your responses!!!!

Originally Posted by zonatandem
P.S. Nice to see everyone wearing a helmet.
Pedal on mamaC!!!
Ha! Thanks! The hardest helmet to find was for the baby! They DO NOT seem to make helmets small enough for 1-year-olds. The toddler sizes all were too big & he'd figure out how to undo them. I found that one he's modeling at a garage sale and it said "3 months and up". I don't think they recommend 3-month olds riding anymore! But, I sure do like having a helmet that fits him!
Old 08-26-09, 09:17 PM
zjrog

Bikes: 1986 KHS Fiero, 1989 Trek 950, 1990 Trek 7000, 1991 Gary Fisher Hoo Koo E Koo, 1992 Trek 1400, 1997 Cannondale CAD2 R300, 1998 Cannondale CAD2 R200, 2002 Marin San Rafael, 2006 Cannondale CAAD8 R1000, 2010 Performance Access XCL9R

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 284 Post(s)
Liked 385 Times in 207 Posts
Wish I coulda found one like that! Nice bike.
Old 08-27-09, 07:52 AM
WebsterBikeMan

Bikes: Nishiki Continental, Bilenky custom travel tinker, home built winter bike based on Nashbar cross frrame

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
MamaC on my bicycle built for FIVE!
Takes me back. We used to call that pentacycling. My wife even got an article in Family and Tandem Cycling magazine (long since defunct).
Old 08-27-09, 03:10 PM
johnlyons53
EATS

Bikes: We own a Santana Arriva S+S pulling a Burley Nomad, Qty 2 70's Raleighs updated, C-dale hybrid, Fuji hybrid

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by mamaC
Ha! Thanks! The hardest helmet to find was for the baby! They DO NOT seem to make helmets small enough for 1-year-olds.
They don't exist. Product liability concerns
Old 08-27-09, 08:50 PM
TeamTi700

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Buy It!

mamaC

We own three vintage Schwinn Twinns, in addition to our Santana. That bike would usually sell for $250 to $400, depending on condition and location.

It will weigh 63 pounds, but the 5-speed (Deluxe) will help. The real advantage for you is the frame design. About the time your children reach 10 years of age, they will be able to be a stoker. A child stoker kit for a conventional tandem frame will cost you more than this entire bike.

In the end, if your not happy, you can sell it and easily get your money back.

If you post the first two letters of the serial number (may be on the lower part of the head tube) I can tell you the month and year the frame was built. Also look for a 4 digit number on the head badge. That will tell the day it was assembled. It looks to be about a '75 or '76. The color is "Sky Blue."

Rick
Old 08-28-09, 08:25 AM
mamaC

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Pentacycle -- I love it! My kids call it 'frankenbike'.

Originally Posted by johnlyons53
They don't exist. Product liability concerns
Well, that's why I couldn't find one! As a parent looking to safely cycle -- that's a problem!

Originally Posted by TeamTi700
If you post the first two letters of the serial number (may be on the lower part of the head tube) I can tell you the month and year the frame was built. Also look for a 4 digit number on the head badge. That will tell the day it was assembled. It looks to be about a '75 or '76. The color is "Sky Blue."
Rick, thanks for the info!!! That's wonderful to know! I'll get the numbers. My oldest is almost 8. I was hoping he'd be big enough to pedal, but haven't had a chance to get with the neighbor to make our deal & fit my kiddo. But it sounds like it might be best for a couple years from now... thank goodness, you can count on kids growing!
Old 08-28-09, 08:43 AM
WebsterBikeMan

Bikes: Nishiki Continental, Bilenky custom travel tinker, home built winter bike based on Nashbar cross frrame

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by mamaC
My oldest is almost 8. I was hoping he'd be big enough to pedal, but haven't had a chance to get with the neighbor to make our deal & fit my kiddo. But it sounds like it might be best for a couple years from now... thank goodness, you can count on kids growing!
You don't know until you measure. If he's a big 8-year old it might work. Especially if he has enough of his height in his legs.