Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Hybrid Bicycles
Reload this Page >

First bike, need help!

Search
Notices
Hybrid Bicycles Where else would you go to discuss these fun, versatile bikes?

First bike, need help!

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-17, 01:39 AM
ckaiyuu

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
First bike, need help!

Hi! I just started to look into cycling to be my exercise solution since I have a tiny heart problem and running put too much pressure on it. I have no-whatsoever-idea about bike related matters... so I need serious help

I was looking around and been thinking about DB Trace Sport vs Giant Roam 2 or... even Trace Comp vs Giant Roam 1.

I've never test ride any Giant but I did both of the Trace sport and Trace Comp. Feelings are fine, just wondering about the tech.

Thanks a lot in advance!
Old 05-17-17, 03:36 AM
dabac

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 1074 Post(s)
Liked 295 Times in 222 Posts
The bicycle industry has become very homogenous. A similar amount of money will buy you very similar quality bikes regardless of what brand they are.

Pick a bike according to how you intend to ride, fit preference and how you like the store/staff.
Old 05-17-17, 03:42 AM
JagR

Bikes: S-Works Tarmac 2017 - TREK Madone - Cannondale CAPO

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 206 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by dabac
The bicycle industry has become very homogenous. A similar amount of money will buy you very similar quality bikes regardless of what brand they are.

Pick a bike according to how you intend to ride, fit preference and how you like the store/staff.
+ 1. I know it is vain but also pick something that is aesthetically pleasing to you and don't worry about what others care/think.
Old 05-17-17, 04:07 AM
dabac

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 1074 Post(s)
Liked 295 Times in 222 Posts
Originally Posted by JagR
+ 1. I know it is vain but also pick something that is aesthetically pleasing to you ...

There's a bit of a balancing act to that.
Had a colleague who wanted a new bike.
And "cruisers are soo cute".
She rode it once before realizing how poorly it worked for her kind of riding.

IME, ugly but useful trumps "cute, but I can't ride it".

Originally Posted by JagR
..don't worry about what others care/think.

Indeed.

Your money, your choice, your ride.

With the disclaimer that all bikes ridden in traffic should be properly functional and safe to operate.

I see a couple of guys on fixies skidding and fishtailing down a steep stretch of MUP every week. They might think they have appropriate control, but I bet none of the other people on the MUP have that impression.

Last edited by dabac; 05-17-17 at 04:14 AM.
Old 05-17-17, 04:10 AM
littleArnold

Bikes: Trek, Schwinn, Huffy

Quoted: 101 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
If your looking for a Hybrid I would recommend a Trek Hybrid. I bought an FX Trek Hybrid and this bike is so fast compared to my Schwinn mountain bike. Very smooth ride and I have a 3 year warranty on the bike. Trek store just 15 minutes from my house and they will do a lot things for free for you if you just bought the bike. Started at going 15mph hour on it this spring when started cycling again at a bodyweight of 150, now lost 9 lbs down to 141 and what a difference losing 9 lbs has made. I can now cycle 20 miles on my Trek Hybrid at a 23 mph pace. I can pass up even some guys on road bikes on my Trek Hybrid. The Trek Fx is more closer to a road bike then other Hybrid bikes have seen. It won't be long before I can get up to 25 mph on it. Losing weight each week and getting faster on the bike. I love the Trek Hybrid so much it feels like a speed demon. I can't wait to see how fast I can go on it when my weight gets down to my high school wrestling weight of 135 lbs!

Although the Trek Road Bikes are very expensive the Hybrids are very affordable and in my opinion they can perform just as well as a cheap road bike. I can go faster than some guys who are riding cheap road bikes on the bike path.
Old 05-17-17, 04:56 AM
JagR

Bikes: S-Works Tarmac 2017 - TREK Madone - Cannondale CAPO

Quoted: 206 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by dabac
There's a bit of a balancing act to that.
Had a colleague who wanted a new bike.
And "cruisers are soo cute".
She rode it once before realizing how poorly it worked for her kind of riding.

IME, ugly but useful trumps "cute, but I can't ride it".

Indeed.

Your money, your choice, your ride.

With the disclaimer that all bikes ridden in traffic should be properly functional and safe to operate.

I see a couple of guys on fixies skidding and fishtailing down a steep stretch of MUP every week. They might think they have appropriate control, but I bet none of the other people on the MUP have that impression.
That's a given! I think in today's world there are enough options to get something that checks all of the boxes... including looks.
Old 05-17-17, 09:56 AM
Delmarva

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by ckaiyuu
Hi! I just started to look into cycling to be my exercise solution since I have a tiny heart problem and running put too much pressure on it. I have no-whatsoever-idea about bike related matters... so I need serious help

I was looking around and been thinking about DB Trace Sport vs Giant Roam 2 or... even Trace Comp vs Giant Roam 1.

I've never test ride any Giant but I did both of the Trace sport and Trace Comp. Feelings are fine, just wondering about the tech.

Thanks a lot in advance!
Welcome to bike riding! Wonderful exercise.
1. How much money are you willing to spend on a bike?
2. Do you expect to ride on paved roads mostly? Or trails?
3. Do you have many bike shops nearby where you could test ride?
Old 05-17-17, 10:43 AM
MRT2

Bikes: 2012 Salsa Casseroll, 2009 Kona Blast

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1031 Post(s)
Liked 208 Times in 146 Posts

Thanks a lot in advance!
I personally hate suspension forks on moderately priced bikes like the Trace Sport or Roam 2. Others disagree. But in general, if you are looking for a bike for general use, look for a carbon fork, or a steel fork.

What is your budget? You can find a decent new bike for around $500 retail. $700 or $800 gets you something a little better. $1,000 and up and you can really find something nice.
Old 05-17-17, 10:45 AM
MRT2

Originally Posted by littleArnold
If your looking for a Hybrid I would recommend a Trek Hybrid. I bought an FX Trek Hybrid and this bike is so fast compared to my Schwinn mountain bike. Very smooth ride and I have a 3 year warranty on the bike. Trek store just 15 minutes from my house and they will do a lot things for free for you if you just bought the bike. Started at going 15mph hour on it this spring when started cycling again at a bodyweight of 150, now lost 9 lbs down to 141 and what a difference losing 9 lbs has made. I can now cycle 20 miles on my Trek Hybrid at a 23 mph pace. I can pass up even some guys on road bikes on my Trek Hybrid. The Trek Fx is more closer to a road bike then other Hybrid bikes have seen. It won't be long before I can get up to 25 mph on it. Losing weight each week and getting faster on the bike. I love the Trek Hybrid so much it feels like a speed demon. I can't wait to see how fast I can go on it when my weight gets down to my high school wrestling weight of 135 lbs!

Although the Trek Road Bikes are very expensive the Hybrids are very affordable and in my opinion they can perform just as well as a cheap road bike. I can go faster than some guys who are riding cheap road bikes on the bike path.
25 mph on a hybrid? You should consider turning pro.
Old 05-17-17, 11:33 AM
ckaiyuu

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Delmarva
Welcome to bike riding! Wonderful exercise.
1. How much money are you willing to spend on a bike?
2. Do you expect to ride on paved roads mostly? Or trails?
3. Do you have many bike shops nearby where you could test ride?
Originally Posted by MRT2
What is your budget? You can find a decent new bike for around $500 retail. $700 or $800 gets you something a little better. $1,000 and up and you can really find something nice.
Hi, I'm could only spent around $500 to $700 for a bike right now
2. I think about 65% is paved road and 35% clean trails
3. Yes, there are tons of bike shops around me.
Old 05-17-17, 11:37 AM
MRT2

What do you mean by clean trails?
Old 05-17-17, 01:50 PM
ckaiyuu

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
What do you mean by clean trails?
Like... No bushes, tiny rock, basically just clean, unpaved road.
Old 05-17-17, 01:56 PM
MRT2

Like... No bushes, tiny rock, basically just clean, unpaved road.
OK, in that case, and since you are looking at Giant, I would suggest you check out the AnyRoad 2.
Old 05-17-17, 02:02 PM
Delmarva

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Ok that is good. Since this is your first nice bike I think you should stick with major brands like Giant, Specialized and Trek. And yes the bike business is very competitive so similarly priced bikes from the big names will be of comparable quality. Pick a different local bike shop for each brand and test ride a couple of different hybrids. The shop will help you with model selection and the all important sizing. And yes for that kind of riding don't get a suspension fork or seat.
Old 05-17-17, 03:42 PM
littleArnold

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
25 mph on a hybrid? You should consider turning pro.
Unless what I am reading on my speedometer thing got from trek store is not mph but something else. That is what I think it says hit the pace/distance thing per hour button and it says 23/hour at a cadence of 90 unless I am reading the thing wrong which could be I don't know that much about bikes
Old 05-17-17, 03:59 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
Step 1, find a bike shop you like doing business with, step 2, buy your bike there.
Old 05-17-17, 04:06 PM
badger1

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1581 Post(s)
Liked 1,189 Times in 605 Posts
Originally Posted by littleArnold
Unless what I am reading on my speedometer thing got from trek store is not mph but something else. That is what I think it says hit the pace/distance thing per hour button and it says 23/hour at a cadence of 90 unless I am reading the thing wrong which could be I don't know that much about bikes
Sustained speeds of around 23mph over any kind of time/distance is the territory of a fast, experienced 'A' group ride moving along in a rotating paceline (drafting). Not credible.

Your device may be reading in kmh; 14.9 mph would make sense.

Hybrid, road bike ... nothing to do with it at a recreational level; "passing" people on road bikes means absolutely nothing.
Old 05-17-17, 05:15 PM
JGM411

Bikes: 2014 Trek Domane 5.2 2014(i think) Giant Defy Advanced 2 2013 Trek 7.3, 1973 Schwinn Continental, 1967 AMF Hercules

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
buy hybrid. Trek, Giant, etc. take your pick.

Forget the suspension nonsense (I skimmed this thread and i think i read your budget $500-$700.)

In that range you are going to buy a mid to lower (maybe) hybrid.

Buy some good gloves, bibs or shorts and ride to your heart's content.

A Trek FX7.3 is likely in your price range. Giant may buy you a bit more.

All the best!
Old 05-17-17, 08:54 PM
littleArnold

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by badger1
Sustained speeds of around 23mph over any kind of time/distance is the territory of a fast, experienced 'A' group ride moving along in a rotating paceline (drafting). Not credible.

Your device may be reading in kmh; 14.9 mph would make sense.

Hybrid, road bike ... nothing to do with it at a recreational level; "passing" people on road bikes means absolutely nothing.
Yeah I think your right. I think it is kmh. I was wondering how come I can go much faster on the hybrid then on the stationary bike in the gym. On the stationary bike at a health club I go to it says I am going only about 14.5 - 15 mph so that would make sense then. Still a big improvement over the 10-12 mph I was going on mountain bike.
Old 05-17-17, 09:04 PM
Tbone2

Bikes: Giant Escape City

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Giant Escape, or Trek FX, they are in your price range and good rides.
The bike shop is just as important as the bike you chose so check out all the shops in your neck of the woods.
Don't cheap out, get as much bike as you can afford.
Test ride before you buy don't just ride circles in the parking lot take as long of a ride as you can get away with.
But above all else get a bike then come back and tell us all about it.
Old 05-17-17, 09:17 PM
cycling705

Bikes: Specialized Sirrus Sport

Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
For the type of riding you mentioned, you can't beat the value found in the Jamis Coda:

https://www.jamisbikes.com/usa/coda.html

Last edited by cycling705; 05-18-17 at 06:30 AM.
Old 05-18-17, 06:30 AM
cycling705

Bikes: Specialized Sirrus Sport

Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
[Adding additional context to my previous post.]

For the type of riding you mentioned, you can't beat the value found in the Jamis Coda:

https://www.jamisbikes.com/usa/coda.html

- Steel frame (solid, and softens the ride)
- Relaxed geometry (not too bent over, but not too upright)
- One of the most respected bike manufacturers in the world
- Components are fine for what you need
- Strong wheels
- Although it's not a critical piece, the colors on the 2017 models are good.
- You can't beat the price ($369 for 2017 base model)

In comparison to the base-model Jamis Coda, the Coda Sport offers an upgrade in components, but the ride will be more aggressive due to the handlebar stem angle. For me, that would be a deal-breaker because of reduced comfort (and added cost).

As others have said, if you go with Specialized or Trek, you'll pay extra for the name.

Giant is a strong option as well (Escape or Roam series). All things being equal, Giant and Jamis tend to give you the most for your money.

If I didn't own a Specialized Sirrus Sport (found it on Craigslist), I'd buy the Jamis Coda in a heartbeat.

Good luck!

Last edited by cycling705; 05-18-17 at 06:39 AM.
Old 05-18-17, 06:57 AM
Esthetic

Bikes: 2019 Felt FR2 Etap Disc*2017 Wilier Cento10Air Ramato Etap*2020 Trek Domane SL6**2018 Trek ProCaliber 8

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 139 Post(s)
Liked 29 Times in 10 Posts
Roam 2 has all you'd need in this segment (hydraulic brakes/lockout fork/ solid groupset) at an attractive msrp of $570.

Jamis Coda Comp and DXT Comp comes close, but you still have to pay $650 to get a model with hydraulic brakes and that compares in drivetrain to the $570 Roam 2. That's a redundant story across most comparable bikes.

Roam 1 just takes the groupset to another level . You will find that for your dollar you'll get better componentry at every pricepoint.

The Diamondback Trace was actually the first bike i sat on and was fitted for , at Eastern Mountain Sports. Nice bike too, but riding a Roam 2 made me go Giant.

I say demo as many bikes as possible with hydraulic brakes, since to be blunt....you shouldn't pay over $500 for a new bike in 2017 without that feature IMHO. They feel so good and consistent.

Try the Roam 2, Specialized Crosstrail Disc, Cannondale Quick/CX4, Trek DS2 as well ....all at under $660, and go with your feels.

You still have to like the bike at the end of the day. Good luck, all great bikes mentioned.

Last edited by Esthetic; 05-18-17 at 07:23 AM.
Old 05-18-17, 07:16 AM
MRT2

Originally Posted by cycling705
[Adding additional context to my previous post.]

coda

- Steel frame (solid, and softens the ride)
- Relaxed geometry (not too bent over, but not too upright)
- One of the most respected bike manufacturers in the world
- Components are fine for what you need
- Strong wheels
- Although it's not a critical piece, the colors on the 2017 models are good.
- You can't beat the price ($369 for 2017 base model)

In comparison to the base-model Jamis Coda, the Coda Sport offers an upgrade in components, but the ride will be more aggressive due to the handlebar stem angle. For me, that would be a deal-breaker because of reduced comfort (and added cost).

As others have said, if you go with Specialized or Trek, you'll pay extra for the name.

Giant is a strong option as well (Escape or Roam series). All things being equal, Giant and Jamis tend to give you the most for your money.

If I didn't own a Specialized Sirrus Sport (found it on Craigslist), I'd buy the Jamis Coda in a heartbeat.

Good luck!
If it were me, I would spring for the Coda Sport over the base model Coda. You can always switch out the stem for a more relaxed position if that is an issue. But for a slight upcharge, you get 8 speed instead of 7, upgraded components, even better tires. And the Sport is a full 3 lbs lighter than the base model.
Old 05-18-17, 08:15 AM
porDIOSporSANTO

Bikes: 2017 Cannondale Quick CX 4

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Esthetic
Roam 2 has all you'd need in this segment (hydraulic brakes/lockout fork/ solid groupset) at an attractive msrp of $570.

Jamis Coda Comp and DXT Comp comes close, but you still have to pay $650 to get a model with hydraulic brakes and that compares in drivetrain to the $570 Roam 2. That's a redundant story across most comparable bikes.

Roam 1 just takes the groupset to another level . You will find that for your dollar you'll get better componentry at every pricepoint.

The Diamondback Trace was actually the first bike i sat on and was fitted for , at Eastern Mountain Sports. Nice bike too, but riding a Roam 2 made me go Giant.

I say demo as many bikes as possible with hydraulic brakes, since to be blunt....you shouldn't pay over $500 for a new bike in 2017 without that feature IMHO. They feel so good and consistent.

Try the Roam 2, Specialized Crosstrail Disc, Cannondale Quick/CX4, Trek DS2 as well ....all at under $660, and go with your feels.

You still have to like the bike at the end of the day. Good luck, all great bikes mentioned.
Ditto here. I just got my first bike and tested those 4 bikes on two of my LBS. The Cannondale Quick CX 4 was the best fit for me. I remember the Roam line has front mudguards and the other three doesn't.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.