Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Where to sell my used bikes?

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Old 12-03-18, 11:59 AM
realperson

Bikes: Surly Long Haul Trucker, Raleigh One Way, Gary Fisher Aquila

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post

Where do you sell bikes online and offline? I've tried Craigslist but I never get any people who take the ads seriously. My LBS owner had a good point that in our city there are about 20,000 bikes on Craigslist at any given time, so it's not a good place to sell. The bikes I'm selling, I think would sell quickly; they are decent bikes with what I would consider a desirable price point.
Where do you sell your bikes and what kind of success do you have?
Old 12-03-18, 12:16 PM
Flip Flop Rider

Bikes: 2010 Fuji Absolute 3.0 1994 Trek 850

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 761 Post(s)
Liked 555 Times in 322 Posts
craigslist. take the right pics and price it right and it will sell. could also try ebay

the ads I see that have problems have bad or no pics (hint, lighting matters) and are priced wrong (too high)
Old 12-03-18, 12:45 PM
EdwinHeadwind
Banned.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 4 Posts
Internet bike forum classifieds?
Old 12-03-18, 01:01 PM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18320 Post(s)
Liked 4,489 Times in 3,338 Posts
Bike Forums has a few "For Sale" categories. The C&V tends to be quite active.

https://www.bikeforums.net/classic-vintage-sales/
https://www.bikeforums.net/sale/

They require a paid membership.

I have to say, my experience with buying on Craigslist is that if a person has a desirable bike at a good price, then it will sell quickly.

A more mediocre bike at a high price, and it could be a long wait.

There is a subforum for vintage or older bikes:
https://www.bikeforums.net/classic-v...th-appraisals/

Free, but not for soliciting sales. But, members will give you their estimate of the value of your bikes.

Also look at https://www.bicyclebluebook.com I usually snag them with Google Searches.

What may look like a desirable bike to you may or may not be to others. The Classic/Vintage market is also going through a tumultuous time where parts may be significantly more valuable than complete bikes, especially for lesser known brands.
Old 12-03-18, 01:51 PM
CliffordK

We do have people who are obviously local "flippers". Both good and bad. Most of them will put in some effort to tuning the bikes.

It does, however, mean that you may be able to undercut some of their prices. So if a flipper is selling a bike for a dreamer price of $500, you could put the same bike up for $300, or $200, or $100.
Old 12-03-18, 03:11 PM
CliffordK

Originally Posted by mtb_addict
Problem for me is that regularly browsing CL is very tedious nowadays. I see the same bike at the top day after day. I have to comb thru dozens and dozens (maybe hundreds) of flipper bikes every morning to find new interesting bikes.
Portland had a thing a while ago where ads expired in 3 days, I think. But that meant everyone had to continually bump their ads. What a MESS!!!

Here in Eugene, I can read every ad (about a page of new and bumped ads per day).

Craigslist (and E-Bay) almost need a way to flag ads as NEVER interesting. So, you scan a page, then click a button and they're all hidden forever. Actually, I think there is a trash can you can click on that will hide ads (hopefully also hiding bumped ads), but unfortunately you can't simply hide everything on the page.
Old 12-03-18, 04:52 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,354 Times in 861 Posts
Your front Yard?

My nearby LBS , does consignments, and buys some bikes outright..

Last edited by fietsbob; 12-05-18 at 05:18 PM.
Old 12-03-18, 05:06 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10902 Post(s)
Liked 7,393 Times in 4,148 Posts
Originally Posted by realperson
Where do you sell bikes online and offline? I've tried Craigslist but I never get any people who take the ads seriously. My LBS owner had a good point that in our city there are about 20,000 bikes on Craigslist at any given time, so it's not a good place to sell. The bikes I'm selling, I think would sell quickly; they are decent bikes with what I would consider a desirable price point.
I sell all either on Craigslist, or part them out and sell the parts and frameset on eBay and on this site.

Craigslist may be full of repeat posts and junk, but that doesn't mean a good bike at a good price wont sell. From what ive found, its quite the opposite, actually.
a quality bike with well written and photographed ad at good price point will sell because it stands out.

in a metro lile Sacramento, there is a large demand for cycling and used bikes.
if you arent selling, its probably because the pics and info is poor, its priced too high, or the bike is unappealing in some way(broken, rare size, etc). But even the odd size issue can be overcome as i ride 63-65cm bikes and have sold everything ive ridden thst i dont want anymore.

I refurbish road bikes of all sizes from the 80s and 90s as a hobby and they all sell too. The pricepoint and presentation just have to work to drive interest.

link your ad(s) for us to see.

edited to add- try facebook marketplace too.
Old 12-03-18, 06:02 PM
CliffordK

Keywords are important for those that search. Think of it this way. Craigslist has a few thousand items locally. E-Bay has millions of items. How do people find what they want?

So, make sure you spell Schwinn right. Some people scan for things like tubing types (Columbus SL, Reynolds 531, etc). Add as much info about parts as you can. Shimano Ultegra, 6500/6600/6700/6800/8000/R8000, etc. Classic? Vintage? Antique? Eroica? ROAD Bike? Mountain Bike? MTB? Hybrid? Aluminum Frame? 700c? 26"? 650B? Downtube Shifters? Brifters? Bar End Shifters? Add a year if you can figure it out.

Be Precise. The more info you include, the better for buyers, but also better to snag those doing keyword searches.

I do, however, find it extremely annoying when people use unrelated keywords...
My bike is LIKE A COLNAGO.

Oh, also make sure your bikes haven't shown up here:
The Wacky World of Craigslist and eBay Ads

Has anybody said DRIVE SIDE yet?
Old 12-03-18, 06:41 PM
tcs
Palmer

Bikes: Mike Melton custom, 1982 Stumpjumper, Alex Moulton AM, 2010 Dawes Briercliffe, 2017 Dahon Curl i8, 2021 Motobecane Turino 1x12

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 1646 Post(s)
Liked 1,785 Times in 1,041 Posts
My LBS said they make 80% of their bike sales for the year during April-May and the month leading up to Christmas. April-May is probably a pretty good time to sell a used bike, too. You can't help but notice that beginning just after Christmas and continuing well into January, television and the 'net are inundated with ads for exercise equipment/gym memberships. The first of the year is when everybody thinks about self improvement and weight loss. Bike = more active lifestyle.
Old 12-03-18, 08:46 PM
honcho

Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked 41 Times in 30 Posts
In my large metropolitan area, I use Craigslist for bikes and other things. A good bike at an attractive price goes pretty quick; however, everyone has a different idea of what a "good" bike is and the ridiculous values promoted by Bicycle Blue Book have made getting decent prices more challenging. Bicycle Blue Book prices for used bikes seem calculated solely to support their business model of corporate bike flipping and supporting affiliated bike shops in lowballing trade-in prices. In my area, bike sharing fleets seem to have somewhat reduced the demand for bikes. Another factor that may be play is your location in your local metropolitan area. I have a friend who lives about 5 miles closer in than I do and is located very close to a subway station. He seems to have much better success moving bikes than I do. His location is easier for people without cars to access. I very rarely offer to meet people because showing bikes to tire-kickers is a poor use of my time and if someone is seriously interested, they'll make the effort to make it out to my location.
Old 12-03-18, 10:01 PM
CliffordK

Originally Posted by tcs
My LBS said they make 80% of their bike sales for the year during April-May and the month leading up to Christmas. April-May is probably a pretty good time to sell a used bike, too. You can't help but notice that beginning just after Christmas and continuing well into January, television and the 'net are inundated with ads for exercise equipment/gym memberships. The first of the year is when everybody thinks about self improvement and weight loss. Bike = more active lifestyle.
It is less fun to ride a bike in January. Have skis for sale?

September and early October is usually a good time for the bike co-op, as college students appear out of nowhere. Perhaps spring too. That may depend on the local organization. Around here, the biggest college towns are only moderate sized cities.
Old 12-03-18, 10:06 PM
GlennR
On Your Left

Bikes: Trek Emonda SLR, Sram eTap, Zipp 303

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 3004 Post(s)
Liked 2,433 Times in 1,187 Posts
Craigslist.

Selling a bike not seen by the buyer and then having to ship it leaves you open to problems.

Price it right, most "used" bike are worth much less than you think.
Old 12-03-18, 11:39 PM
CliffordK

Are any of the bikes over say 15 or 20 years old and "interesting"?

Post a description and some good photos of your best bike here:

https://www.bikeforums.net/classic-v...th-appraisals/

People will give you a frank estimate of the value.

Of course, a sale still needs a buyer and a seller to get together, agree on a price, and to make a sale.

So, a bike might theoretically be worth $500, but nobody is wanting to pay that much for it. However, drop the price to $250, and they'll lineup for it.
Old 12-04-18, 01:49 AM
avole
Banned.

Bikes: Brompton, Time, Bianchi, Jan Janssen, Peugeot

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 598 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts

It does depend a lot on the brand, too. I was surprised when my lbs offered decent money for my Bianchi, given he’d just declined a bike in better condition but different marque. When I quizzed him about this, he shrugged his shoulders and replied Bianchi was a brand they could always sell.
Then again, this was Cannes.
Old 12-04-18, 05:11 AM
exmechanic89

Bikes: '00 Koga Miyata Full Pro Oval Road bike.

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 475 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
As I always say, we live in a great time to buy a used bike, not such a great time to sell one. I'd just cut my losses and donate the bikes to a co-op if no luck selling on CL. Ebay is a lot of work and risky due to the sight unseen aspect mentioned by another poster.
Old 12-04-18, 05:18 AM
jwalther

Bikes: Litespeed T3, Felt Breed 30, Co-Motion Supremo Tandem

Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked 62 Times in 29 Posts
Online Swap Meet
Old 12-04-18, 05:49 AM
FlMTNdude

Bikes: 1988 Panasonic, 1989 Fuji, Schwinn Beach Cruiser

Quoted: 115 Post(s)
Liked 60 Times in 45 Posts
I am not a fan of Facebook and their Messenger, but my wife sells stuff on there with phenomenal results.
Old 12-04-18, 07:48 AM
Koyote

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 6882 Post(s)
Liked 10,875 Times in 4,639 Posts
Too late for this advice to help the OP, but it's probably best to not sell bikes as the depreciation rate makes a new car look like a solid investment. Best to choose carefully and buy a bike that will serve you for the long-run.

My oldest bike is 15+ yrs old (young compared to some BFers bikes, I know) and I am currently doing some modest mods to turn it into a capable winter beater training bike.
Old 12-04-18, 10:52 AM
NoWhammies

Bikes: Argon 18 Gallium, BH G7, Rocky Mountain Instinct C70

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 512 Times in 306 Posts
Pinkbike. I've good success there.
Old 12-05-18, 02:36 PM
REDMASTA

Bikes: Bare Rum Sword Knuckle Runner

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 278 Post(s)
Liked 122 Times in 64 Posts
you are probably pricing them too high, like everyone else on craigslist.
Old 12-05-18, 02:57 PM
REDMASTA

Bikes: Bare Rum Sword Knuckle Runner

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 278 Post(s)
Liked 122 Times in 64 Posts
Originally Posted by oldnslow2
Craigslist.

Price it right, most "used" bike are worth much less than you think.
bang, right on, most people think their used bikes are worth WAY more than they are.

unless rare or highly sought after the value of most used bikes are only a fraction of what they sold new.
Old 12-05-18, 03:30 PM
CliffordK

Originally Posted by REDMASTA
That is one of the major flaws in Craigslist. Just like looking at "buy-it-now" on E-Bay. One really doesn't know the actual value based on solely looking at the the current asking prices.

And, unfortunately Craigslist doesn't track actual sale prices, and E-Bay only keeps a month or two of "sold" history for most auctions (for some reason, some auctions endure much longer, presumably due to being bumped by search engines).

This only displaying dreamer prices may well cause a slow creep up in prices. Perhaps good for sellers, but difficult for buyers.
Old 12-05-18, 10:36 PM
lkoyanagi

Bikes: Tern D7e

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by realperson
We have a community bike repair and free bikes for local kids. Adults can buy a bike for $75. Experienced mechanics run it and teach kids whether or not they need a bike. So, repairs could take time for donated bikes. I bought a bike and donated a bike.

Our public universty sells donated used bikes and parts at an elementary school annually. Very popular, Ive been there.

There is an enthusiasm at these places that is inspiring.

Check with local elementary, middle and high schools to see how you can donate your bike, if you are so inclined.

You see, bikes give freedom of movement like a car. Here, bikes can be loaded on front bumpers of City buses. The bike repair teaches bike riding, maintenance, safety and laws.
Old 12-07-18, 02:30 AM
Witterings

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 569 Post(s)
Liked 37 Times in 29 Posts
Originally Posted by REDMASTA
^^^^^^^^^^^^^
This - If something's not selling, irrespective of if it's a house, car or bike this is the reason ... everything will sell at "the right" price although you may marginally influence what people consider that to be by how it's presented.

I don't get why so many people seem to think because it's their stuff for sale it's worth a lot more than everybody else's 2nd hand stuff.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.