Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Electric Bikes
Reload this Page >

Why you guys prefer ebike to bike?

Notices
Electric Bikes Here's a place to discuss ebikes, from home grown to high-tech.

Why you guys prefer ebike to bike?

Old 03-16-19, 08:19 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,354 Times in 861 Posts
I don't , But I'm in a small town.. flat landfill by the river..

spin the wheel and you may make electricity..
Old 03-17-19, 02:46 AM
bali biker

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My cardiologist would kill me if he caught me riding a hill without a electric motor. How is that for an answer.
Old 03-17-19, 09:19 AM
KraneXL

Bikes: Cannondale Quick SL1 Bike - 2014

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 3405 Post(s)
Liked 240 Times in 185 Posts
Originally Posted by bali biker
My cardiologist would kill me if he caught me riding a hill without a electric motor. How is that for an answer.
On the other hand, the heart is a muscle; and if you want it to get stronger you've got to challenge it. How much challenge is your decision because only you know what's good and right for you.

Sometimes when I'm riding my bike I have to remind myself that I'm not twentysomething and to slow down so I'm always concerned about my heart health. Although I've never been diagnosed with or have any heart issues, its still a concern I know I should have.

I realize it needs exercise to stay strong, but I don't want to go overboard either and break something. I know the heart is nothing to mess around with so I try to stay around 80% max. Unless the workout is a challenge, its not going to do you much good.
Old 03-17-19, 10:31 AM
Doc_Wui

Bikes: GT Transeo & a half dozen ebike conversions.

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 339 Post(s)
Liked 268 Times in 189 Posts
My cardiologist says exercise is fine, and I can do things that increase my heartbeat slow/steady, but I cannot do things like move a refrigerator or push a car out of the snow as it could explode a blood vessel. He says bike riding is fine, and he doesn't know about electrics.
Old 03-20-19, 08:49 PM
CodyDog

Bikes: Specialized Vado SL/Trek Fuel EXe

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked 38 Times in 29 Posts
Originally Posted by KraneXL
Counterpoint: They're new. And like all trends, there's a bandwagon approach at first before the newness wears off and it fades into the distance. Recall the moped, for example?
I'' m thinking it's more than a short run trend. I think bikes unlike mopeds actually provide as much exercise as you want and doesn't require licensing. It also appeals to commuters, mom/dads w/kids, errand runners, people in less than great physical shape, older people or people with physical limitations that may not be able to pedal up the 14% grade hill without assist. I think the market is huge and ebikes sales will be strong for years to come.

With that being said, I wish I still had my old moped, that was cool!
Old 03-26-19, 03:08 AM
ak007pl

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I just love how easy now for me is to commute to work on an electric bike, Less stress and much faster than before.
Old 03-30-19, 12:46 PM
soap94

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by errymo
As title. Ebike becoming a trend these years. What do you think??
I would never change my opinion, but a regular bike or motorcycle is better in all aspects. Cars do really pollute the environment, not bikes. There are so many old school and really nice models on the market. I just don't get why people prefer e-bikes....
Old 03-30-19, 03:59 PM
KraneXL

Originally Posted by soap94
I would never change my opinion, but a regular bike or motorcycle is better in all aspects. Cars do really pollute the environment, not bikes. There are so many old school and really nice models on the market. I just don't get why people prefer e-bikes....
I used to thinks similarly but have since reconsidered and now believe they have their place. As a pure means of exercise they are limiting. However, in that case of the commuter they can go far in extending the range and comfort when your priority is merely to get from one place to the other. Sometimes a bike ride is just to get from A to B.
Old 04-01-19, 05:47 AM
john m flores 
Rider. Wanderer. Creator.

Bikes: Bike Friday Pocket Rocket, Cinelli Hobootleg, Zizzo Liberte

Quoted: 358 Post(s)
Liked 711 Times in 339 Posts
Counterpoint: They're new. And like all trends, there's a bandwagon approach at first before the newness wears off and it fades into the distance. Recall the moped, for example?
It remains to be seen whether ebikes will be the next moped or the next mountain bike.

I don’t have an ebike myself but can certainly see one in my future for utility biking. My motto is “two wheels good”
Old 04-01-19, 09:19 AM
KraneXL

Originally Posted by john m flores

It remains to be seen whether ebikes will be the next moped or the next mountain bike.

I don’t have an ebike myself but can certainly see one in my future for utility biking. My motto is “two wheels good”
I'm glad to hear someone admit that. What will happen to these bikes over the long term? Standard bikes can sit in the garage for years and with a little work or modest shop fee be set up to serve a second generation. I sincerely doubt the long-term maintenance on e-bikes will fair anywhere near as well.
Old 04-03-19, 12:47 AM
Stebo81

Bikes: Cervelo R5, BMC Team Machine SLR01

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
I would consider an ebike so I could ride to work more often. I live about 30km from my office. I commute some days but after about 3 days of training rides and commuting to work and back I’m pretty tired. The ebike would let me continue to ride to work and avoid the always late running and congested Sydney trains.
Old 04-03-19, 12:56 AM
Stebo81

Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Dazo
To be honest i'm devided on the usefulness of ebikes for a fit person.
Edit: i should clarify that ebikes motors are limited at 25 km/h in Norway because of laws, so if you want to bike faster than that you have to just use muscle power
Like wise in Australia, for safety reason I assume and there is always some quiet satisfaction when you overtake someone on an ebike
Old 04-03-19, 01:14 PM
Kaskades

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Like wise in Australia, for safety reason I assume and there is always some quiet satisfaction when you overtake someone on an ebike
Not all of us are jerks on e-bikes. In my 17 mile commute (one way) I just try to flow with the majority of other bike commuters here in Portland. So while I pedal along at 15mph with lowest level of assist I am sure you could easily pass me up with your spiffy carbon bike and kit. Honestly I see more "regular" bike riders being jerks on my daily commute. Honestly I don't think being a "jerk" is limited to e-bike or regular bike.

My reasons for getting an e-bike for my commute are as follows:
1. 17 miles each way is a bit long (both miles and time) in my opinion for a daily commute on a normal bike. Before the e-bike I parked my car at a friends house and rode 8 miles each way on a bike. With the e-bike I doubled my riding distance.
2. a 2 mile stretch of my ride is the center bike lane on the I-205 bridge between Portland and Vancouver over the Columbia River. It's loud with all the freeway traffic. Going home it's all uphill on the bridge. You get debris from the cars wizzing by in both directions not to mention the auto pollution. That is when I put the bike in max assist to get through that as fast as possible.
3. I am 57 and can afford it. My other two bikes are there for other occasions that don't involve commuting.
Old 04-04-19, 09:46 PM
Stebo81

Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
Taken out of context here Kaskades, i was not very clear with my comment. I didn't mean to imply e-bike riders are jerks.
My own fitness level is like a roller coaster. On the odd occasion that i can overtake another rider (any rider for that matter) it's satisfying to know that i may actually be getting fitter.

Yes, i agree there are many jerks that don't abide by the road rules on my commutes either.
However, i do think cyclists are generally happier on the rodes and pathways? I have never seen a cyclist get road rage against another cyclist.......
Old 04-07-19, 07:17 PM
bali biker

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
On the other hand, the heart is a muscle; and if you want it to get stronger you've got to challenge it. How much challenge is your decision because only you know what's good and right for you.

Sometimes when I'm riding my bike I have to remind myself that I'm not twentysomething and to slow down so I'm always concerned about my heart health. Although I've never been diagnosed with or have any heart issues, its still a concern I know I should have.

I realize it needs exercise to stay strong, but I don't want to go overboard either and break something. I know the heart is nothing to mess around with so I try to stay around 80% max. Unless the workout is a challenge, its not going to do you much good.
It is not the heart they are worried about. It is the vascular system, aerortic valves etc. As you get older the vascular system can lose its flexibility. When this happens you can a rupture or weaken a blood vessel lining I cant remember the layer name. When the layer weakens your body which is natural healer tells your liver to create plaque to seal the abrasion of the artery. Causing plaque buildups for the majority of people hence why some people who are fit still need bypass sometimes. You have a healthy heart muscle and still have vascular issues. So my advice when you get older is have calcium scores performed on your heart take it easy on your system when needed even if that means riding an electric assisted bike when you still love cycling. Hope you understand there is more mechanical parts than the pump.
Old 04-07-19, 07:21 PM
bali biker

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
riding a bike and climbing steep grades is a different story get some clarification from the cardiologist.
Old 04-07-19, 09:11 PM
01 CAt Man Do

Bikes: Mountain bike & Hybrid tour bike

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 183 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by powell
Weird that nobody had not mentioned it yet
ONCE you reach 60_70 years of age you will know answer to your question very well
Well said. I don't think the younger generation quite understands what happens when you get old. Doesn't matter if you have cycled your whole life. At some point ( for most average folk ) your body metabolism slows. You gain weigh more easily and losing it becomes harder and harder. Loss of muscle, joint , spine and neck problems. Not to mention that your declining cardiovascular system is just waiting for you to do something stupid like give yourself a heart attack or stroke. For some your energy level also drops significantly. Those videos you see of old men climbing mountains in their 70's....it's all in the genetics. You either have the genetics that keeps you going longer or you don't.

Last edited by 01 CAt Man Do; 04-07-19 at 09:26 PM.
Old 04-07-19, 11:17 PM
KraneXL

Counterpoint: Just because you're 70 doesn't mean you can't still be active. Of course you've pasted your prime, which means you can't expect to perform the way you did when you were 30; and that you have to more closely monitor your health. But that doesn't mean you can't still push yourself as long its kept within the boundaries of reason, or near other active individuals your age.

As I get older, I find that's a lot more capable than most people give themselves credit for. I remember riding home from my cycling route and racing the the transit bus along the route.

After a few miles of staying ahead of the bus it occurred to me that I wasn't 25 anymore even though I felt fine and was enjoying the spirited run. Later, I thought, why did I do that? Was I being overly cautious for no good reason? Do we sometimes mentally defeat ourselves from the start? I know I can't run a 4 minute mile, but does that mean I can't run?

Of course no one can tell anyone else what to do with their bodies. So that's a decision only the individual can make for themselves base on his experience on how his body responds, trains and his family history. A person with a family history of cardiovascular disease will expectedly have to monitor his health a lot more carefully than someone without that history.

I always say just do the most you can for as long as you can, but don't just stop because it gets a little tough. I leaned that the hard way after my shoulder injury when I fell into depression and gave up everything completely after being active for most of my life. Almost immediately I began to atrophy and became the frail weak creature I was always terrified of becoming when I looked forward from my youth.

I can only speak for myself here, but now that I'm back into being active again, as long as my arms and legs are working (I do suffer from a 50% immobility on my right arm), I'll never going to make that mistake again. Train safely.
Old 04-09-19, 07:29 AM
alloo

Bikes: 2022 Priority Coast, 2022 Priority Current

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 175 Post(s)
Liked 137 Times in 99 Posts
Bikes vs Ebikes

I have ridden mopeds in my youth as well as bicycles. I have been car less for 14 years now by riding a motorscooter. I'm considering getting a ebike to get in better shape. I am diabetic in my mid 50s and consider the ebike in the no man's land of bicycles, no insurance, bike lanes, lower maintenance costs and a healthier lifestyle. If I was still in my 40s, I would consider a regular bike. I want an ebike but am having a hard time justifying the cost $2000, since I could by a 50cc scooter for that same amount used without the health benefits.

I want a beach cruiser style bike maybe a older person bike. Not sure. I've been hemming and hawing between different bikes, Electra, Sixthreezero, Firmstrong feet forward designs. I think I would start out riding around the neighborhood, then gradually commuting, by catching public transportation for a part of my trip and gradually increasing the ride distance. The economy of riding a bicycle also appeals to me. We will see as I need to get more active, walking helps, but cycling extends the range. Maybe I'll meet more people. Where I live also requires that I store my bike in my 3rd floor condo. Not to convenient

For ebikes I like the Yamaha Cross Connect, Trek Verve+, Blix Prima, Blix Sol. Another commuting choice is that our public transportation doesn't allow bikes over 55 lbs on their bike racks. I am 5'7" 250 lbs, used to swim, and surf a lot, but trying to find my landlocked hobby and passion. I've been inspired by bicycle riders who have no lower threshold for cold weather riding in Denver. I am a four season scooterist. The ebike also appeals to me for aid up hills, possibly extending my range, sort of like insurance.

We will see. Any advice or tips are always appreciated. Thank You.

Last edited by alloo; 04-09-19 at 07:50 AM. Reason: Adding more info
Old 04-18-19, 04:21 PM
pierce
S'Cruzer

Bikes: too many

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 17 Posts
Just don't us it to make so easy as to defeats the purpose. Basically, if you can blow past and out climb the best unassisted riders then you have it set with too much boost.
I live up a 6-8% grade with narrow shoulders, blind turns. at my pedal speed in granny gear, my exposure to being clipped by an inattentive car is just too much, I'm more likely to be wobbling side to side as I'm panting, etc. with the ebike, I'm gliding up that hill, pedalling with light effort in a fairly high gear, and maintaining 10-15 MPH, that makes me much safer. I just have to be sure to save 2 bars before I get to the bottom of the hill.
Old 04-19-19, 04:06 PM
restlessswind

Bikes: 2017 Surly Cross-Check. 2020 Specialized Turbo Vado 3.0, 2002 GT Dyno Roadster, 2002 Rans Stratus, 2020 Giant Fathom 2, 2011 Trek Pure Sport

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 171 Post(s)
Liked 85 Times in 62 Posts
OP question is Why...? My thought is When? I don't ebike all the time. I ebike on my 30 mi RT commute. I ebike if there are large hills. Other than that, I like to just bike.
Likes For restlessswind:
Old 04-19-19, 05:47 PM
KraneXL

Originally Posted by pierce
I live up a 6-8% grade with narrow shoulders, blind turns. at my pedal speed in granny gear, my exposure to being clipped by an inattentive car is just too much, I'm more likely to be wobbling side to side as I'm panting, etc. with the ebike, I'm gliding up that hill, pedalling with light effort in a fairly high gear, and maintaining 10-15 MPH, that makes me much safer. I just have to be sure to save 2 bars before I get to the bottom of the hill.
I know the feeling. I have a climb on two of my routes. Thing is, they're both on or near my final leg back home and at that point they are grueling. Even worse, they're both on high-speed roads with no clearance. So not only do I have to take the lane (if I were to the right I'd be killed since the road curves to a blind corner), but I do so at an absolute crawl. Luckily, these are multi-lane so I'm not obligated to pull to the side.

Coincidentally, it was on one of these climbs which was the first time I encountered an e-bike. There was a granny riding up the hill at the same time. And when she began to pull away from me at a leisurely pace -- while my ears were bleeding -- I knew then that something wasn't right in the world. A humbling experience? Only if you're unaware of the details.
Old 04-22-19, 11:53 AM
01 CAt Man Do

Bikes: Mountain bike & Hybrid tour bike

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 183 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by soap94
I don't think anyone posting here is saying they really prefer e-bikes to a regular bike. I think what they are saying is that most would prefer to ride a really nice normal bike, the only difference being that for some in a given situation the ability to ride a normal bike ( like they used to ) is giving them problems and thus preventing them from riding and / or enjoying riding a normal bike. Age and physical limitations takes it toll on almost ever one to one degree or another. Better to have some electrical assistance than to just give up the sport. GIVE UP THE SPORT!....unthinkable

Since getting the ebike I find my self riding more and thus using more energy. My legs are getting stronger again. I'm beginning to lose weight. The added plus to riding an ebike is "I get to chose the level of intensity I want to ride at". I like to challenge myself but I don't want to over-do it. The ebike gives me that option.

I've already told myself that if I get my weight under 200 lbs ( preferably under 180 lbs ) that I will start to ride my regular bike again. At the moment my legs are sore. That is a very good sign that I am getting the exercise that I badly need. ...Can't wait to start to ride my regular bike again. The one thing I hate about riding an ebike is listening to the whine of the motor. The silence of riding a normal bike while listening to the muted sound of a well tuned drive train is like music to the ears.
Old 04-22-19, 02:45 PM
KraneXL

Some exercise is better than no exercise? Well, yes. On the other hand, some might say that's an old fallback excuse.

The thing is, when it comes to cycling, an e-bike defeats the purpose. And the more you ride one, the less incline we are to return to a standard non-motor assisted bike. That's just the nature of human behavior.
Old 04-23-19, 06:43 AM
starkmojo
Old and in the way.

Bikes: Jamis Renegade and Kona Jake

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked 47 Times in 23 Posts
I prefer to have the right tool for the job: when I am working out I prefer a pedal bike with a good fit and the right gears. If I am going to commute (19 miles each way, 200 feet of hills either direction) I am going to have to get en ebike in order to make it in a timely manner and still have a life. Just because I get an ebike doesnt mean I am going to start riding it on weekends for pleasure. It just means I will get about 100 more rides a year than I get now.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.