Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Electric Bikes
Reload this Page >

Ancheer e-bike opinions

Notices
Electric Bikes Here's a place to discuss ebikes, from home grown to high-tech.

Ancheer e-bike opinions

Old 04-19-19, 12:47 AM
phtomita

Bikes: '86 Nishiki Tri-A, '84 Centurion PT15, '03 Litespeed Firenze

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 243 Post(s)
Liked 179 Times in 111 Posts
Ancheer e-bike opinions

Hi,
I am looking for an e-bike for my wife so she can try out and use for her commute.
It is like 5 miles total (one way) with 300ft going and 100ft elevation coming back.
Since don't want to invested the bank, I was thinking on the Ancheer from Amazon (non-foldable one).
Does anyone ride this e-bike?
Is battery good enough for the 10 miles with above total elevation?
How is climbing with it? The route has a 6% climb for around 300ft.
Thank you
Old 04-19-19, 02:18 AM
pierce
S'Cruzer

Bikes: too many

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 17 Posts
i built an ebike for my wife using a rear wheel motor kit, and a 48V 18AH battery, thats 860 watt*hours. its good for about 15-20 milesof brisk riding with mostly under 300W assist as long as you keep pedaling too, and will still climb the 300 foot 6-8% grade I live on in a relatively high gear at 10-15 MPH. the motor is rated at 1000W but I have it restricted to 750 and most of hte time its only peak 300-350 output because if you run more power for very long, it overheats.

the bike you're referencing has a 250W motor, and a 36V 8AH battery, thats 288 watt*hours... it would /probably/ do what you want. if she could bring the battery (and charger) into her workplace and charge it while shes working, that would raise it to for sure.
Old 04-19-19, 08:43 AM
2old

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 877 Post(s)
Liked 810 Times in 612 Posts
Should be reviews of Ancheer bikes. Low price and performance to match. Should purchase at least 350w model IMO. Ten miles is well within range of Lithium battery. Important to maintain speed of 8 - 10 mph on 300', hill in order to ensure the motor doesn't get too hot.
Old 04-19-19, 09:04 AM
Doc_Wui

Bikes: GT Transeo & a half dozen ebike conversions.

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 340 Post(s)
Liked 275 Times in 192 Posts
I figure a 6%.grade for 300 feet is 15-20 feet in 100 yards. That used to faze us (me and my wife) on our local riding routes. Pretty easy now with our lower power ebikes.
Old 04-19-19, 09:33 AM
phtomita

Thank you for the feedback.
One more question, the bike is a single size looking at Amazon. Does it fit ok a 5' tall person - in case you have the bike I am looking for.
From Amazon, I see a comment it fits someone 5.2'.
Old 04-19-19, 11:52 AM
pierce
S'Cruzer

what counts more than height is inseam. and really, the only way to know for sure is to test ride it, unless you're quite experienced at a lot of different bikes, and can interpret the frame geometry tables from a major brand like Specialized (for example, I have a 32" inseam, but am 6' tall, and like a Specialized "L", which tend to have a long cockpit (seat to handlebars)).

last bike I mail ordered, I ended up doing a lot of tweaking of the stem and bars to get it where I wanted it. The bike was such a good deal, I could afford to play with a few different stems, that and a local bike shop lent me some used ones to try out.

I assume you're looking at this model?
https://www.amazon.com/ANCHEER-Elect.../dp/B07HJXY45D

that seat looks pretty low. my wife is 5'2 with rather short legs for her height, and this bike fits her to the T with the seat in the position shown...

she needs a 'step through' because her hips and knees won't let her throw a leg over the seat, so she has to step over (getting old sucks). she likes the very high bars on this bike style, and thats an unusual and rare no-longer-made Moxey suspension seatpost I found for her, the seat goes down and back when you hit bumps, keeping your leg extension relatively constant, and has absolutely no rotation unlike the usual inline bouncy-posts.

with that seat raised about 6", I can ride it just fine, too, and I'm 6'0.
Old 04-19-19, 12:18 PM
2old

Originally Posted by phtomita
Thank you for the feedback.
One more question, the bike is a single size looking at Amazon. Does it fit ok a 5' tall person - in case you have the bike I am looking for.
From Amazon, I see a comment it fits someone 5.2'.
You might consider a step-through, but a one size fits all may be too big. If she has a bike that fits her well, a DIY kit (probably $500 - $600 might be a good choice. If DW answers, he'll be able to help immensely, but look at ebikeling as well as many others (Leeds, Hill Topper, ....)
Old 04-19-19, 12:27 PM
01 CAt Man Do

Bikes: Mountain bike & Hybrid tour bike

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 183 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
@ the OP; If it were me I think I'd steer away from buying something like that on Amazon. That's because there is always the possibility that something might go wrong with the electrical system and then it might have to be fixed. Those bikes look like they are built with a bunch of cheap Chinese components. Remember the golden rule; "You get what you pay for". I think you'd be better finding a LBS that sells affordable ebikes and buying from them. Then if something goes wrong they should be able to service what they sell.
Old 04-23-19, 10:46 AM
speedy25

Bikes: Specialized, Trek, Diamondback, Schwinn, Peugeot

Quoted: 160 Post(s)
Liked 53 Times in 43 Posts
An Ancheer? I guess hes looking for a divorce!

It really is a cheap piece-o-crap. They took the cheapest components to make a barely running e-bike. Wait until you need some service!!

Yes, I have serviced them and it takes MUCH longer to complete a task because of the cheap build.

Check out IZip's new line with the Suntour hub motors. Solid bike and a great bargain.

-SP
Old 04-25-19, 05:20 PM
Stebo81

Bikes: Cervelo R5, BMC Team Machine SLR01

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by phtomita
Hi,
I am looking for an e-bike for my wife so she can try out and use for her commute.
It is like 5 miles total (one way) with 300ft going and 100ft elevation coming back.
Since don't want to invested the bank, I was thinking on the Ancheer from Amazon (non-foldable one).
Does anyone ride this e-bike?
Is battery good enough for the 10 miles with above total elevation?
How is climbing with it? The route has a 6% climb for around 300ft.
Thank you
@phtomita I would check the amazon reviews at the bottom on the product page. If many people have purchased the bike then you may find some good honest reviews there.

- A 250 watt motor is not a great deal of power. However, if you pedal lightly it will get you up 6% climb without having to break into a sweat.

- I'm going to assume since she is around 5 feet she's also a light weight. The battery should be enough to last for a return trip with a little bit of pedal assist up the hills.
- The battery seems to be removable so you can charge it in the office.

Let's us know how you go with it.
Old 04-25-19, 08:54 PM
pierce
S'Cruzer

my wife, at 5'2, is anything but light, so thats not a good assumption.

250W is about double the power a OK rider can sustain, so that means you have triple the power of just the rider.
Old 10-15-19, 01:18 PM
phtomita

So, I found one on CL, still in box (open box) for less than half of the price (if you include tax).
Just picked up yesterday and still sitting inside the car - I rode my bike to work today so ....

Need to assembly it and will try to get some fenders since wet days are starting around here,
and probably need a rear rack.
If don't like, I can pass forward without much loss.
Old 10-22-19, 01:18 PM
pierce
S'Cruzer

the hub motor kit I put on my wife's bike is NOT WATERPROOF. quality middrives usually are waterproof, but cost a fair bit more.
Old 10-22-19, 01:31 PM
phtomita

Originally Posted by pierce
the hub motor kit I put on my wife's bike is NOT WATERPROOF. quality middrives usually are waterproof, but cost a fair bit more.
Thank you for heads up. Probably my wife won't ride in the rain, but can't say about riding on wet pavement.
Old 11-02-19, 09:42 PM
pierce
S'Cruzer

another factor with hub drives, they make fixing flats a real pain. the one I installed, there's 3 power wires and 5-6 control wires that run from the hub motor left axle to the control brick. there's no connector at the axle, I tiewrapped the 2 wire bundles to the rack stay and they plug in at the controller. a flat kit should probably contain wire cutters and enough tiewraps to redo things. oh, and a /big/ wrench, as the rear axle is NOT quick release, and the oversized axle nuts required a LOT of torque to secure them.

also, on my wife's Specialized/Globe 26" stepthrough, I had to grind the dropouts a fair bit deeper for the oversized axle to seat right. now, this might be a function of the specific kit I used, it has no torque arm, and is a 1000W hub motor (that I'm running at max 500W so it doesn't overheat).
Old 11-02-19, 10:23 PM
2old

You might try the following (which is what I do on my rear hub system): Use velcro straps on wires that would need to be "loosened" in order to repair a flat; have enough cable so the repair can be effected without separating the wires; use a Schwalbe Marathon tire to minimize the chances for a flat (I haven't had one in four years).
Old 11-03-19, 12:32 AM
pierce
S'Cruzer

Originally Posted by 2old
You might try the following (which is what I do on my rear hub system): Use velcro straps on wires that would need to be "loosened" in order to repair a flat; have enough cable so the repair can be effected without separating the wires; use a Schwalbe Marathon tire to minimize the chances for a flat (I haven't had one in four years).
my wife's Globe has some kinda Specialized Crossroads 26x1.75" sorta tire, she's never had a flat but I doubt its that flat resistant, she just doesn't ride much. Even tho they are a few years old, I re-mounted the rear on the hub drive wheel instead of the heavy generic chinese tire it came with.

my hybrid has Vittoria Randonneur Hypers, 700x32 120 threads/inch, sweet ride, kevlar anti-flat lining, i've never had a flat with them. they have 5 years on them now, so if when I ebike convert it, they get destroyed, I'm happy I got my moneys worth. With a motor I might see if I can fit 35 or 38s on that frame. hah! finding sturdy high TPI tires is tricky, I notice most of the Vittorias are low TPI again :-/
Old 11-03-19, 09:15 AM
HerrKaLeun

Bikes: Giant Toughroad SLR1 and Motobecane Sturgis NX

Quoted: 900 Post(s)
Liked 231 Times in 168 Posts
There is a youtuber called thecrazyromanian or something like that. He reviewed an anchor like a year ago. He stated it isn't bad for the money.

Obviously long term battery wear and serviceabilty aren't known.
Old 11-03-19, 10:37 AM
Doc_Wui

Bikes: GT Transeo & a half dozen ebike conversions.

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 340 Post(s)
Liked 275 Times in 192 Posts
Most commercial hub motor ebikes, and many kit motors come with quick disconnect motor connectors, which helps a bit for fixing flat tires. I believe the Ancheer decided to save a dollar and doesn't have a quick disconnect. My flat kit, which is only for out-of-town includes a 17 mm wrench, and a linear tube. The latter allows me to change a flat w/o removing the wheel, although the old tube would have to be cut or pulled up around the frame til I got home.

Never had a flat on the rear tires since we started ebiking. No bushes with goats head thorns where we live. Plenty of potholes though. I've had pinch flats on the front tires.

The dropout slot on a standard bike is 10 mm wide, since bike axles are 10mm in diameter. Motor axles are 12mm, with two sides ground off to allow it to fit in a 10mm slot. That means the slot might need to be cut deeper by 1-2 mm. For a front fork, there might not be enough material to safely lengthen the slot.