Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

65-85+ Thread

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

65-85+ Thread

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-09, 11:16 AM
ModeratedUser150120149

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Yesterday was first bike ride of year here. A nice 21 mile ride through the hills on a beautiful day.

Questions for you elders. How many of you are members of bike clubs? How do you attract other elders to the club? If you are a member of a bike club is there something for everyone, or is it pretty much divided between a ladies social and men who are all out competitors?

Last edited by ModeratedUser150120149; 04-27-09 at 11:44 AM. Reason: clarity
Old 04-27-09, 11:19 AM
DnvrFox
Banned.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by Latitude65
Yesterday was first bike ride of year here. A nice 21 mile ride through the hills on a beautiful day.

Questions for you elders. How many of you are members of bike clubs? How do you attract other elders to the club? If you are a member of a bike club is there something for everyone, or is it pretty much divided between ladies social and men all out competitors?
I lead bike rides for our seniors group at church (and others join in occasionally). These are VERY RELAXED rides, ages about 65- 80+. Lots of stoping and regrouping, 10-40 miles (depending on who shows up). Generally a stop for coffee or lunch. I call them "fun rides."

We start our ride season next week, weather permitting.

Otherwise, I am not a member of any club. Actually, I wouldn't want to be a member of any club that would have me!

Last edited by DnvrFox; 04-27-09 at 11:30 AM.
Old 05-04-09, 12:27 PM
Amazingrace

Bikes: Specialized Dolce, Marin mtn bike, Terry Precision, Groceries Clunker

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
New York Cycle Club

Answer to question about belonging to club -- I'm a member of New York Cycle Club. It is for all ages, both men & women. We don't do anything special for "elders," who are some of the strongest riders. The NYCC does a series of progressively more difficult "SIG" rides at A, B and C levels in the spring for members. It seems to be what many members want and need. They learn how to be a better, safer, more skilled rider from their fellow club members.
Old 05-11-09, 10:54 PM
Ian Baillie

Bikes: Avanti Modra

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Keep fit riding

Hi ,
I am 70 and I have cycling in my veins I reckon, I have been riding for the last 55 years and I am not there yet,

I still get out 3 times a week with my 70 year old mates,
we do about 50 km , solve all the worlds problems and always stop for coffee break and a chat.

Great fun if you can get it.
Cheers Ian
Old 06-12-09, 04:19 PM
Burr
Off your Donkey, lets go

Location: The Gardens, Roses & Orchids. Bulacan The Philippines and Red Mountain, Ca. USA

Bikes: Schwinn Mountain, Diamondback Expert Road & REI Randonee Touring

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Ian Baillie
Hi ,
I am 70 and I have cycling in my veins I reckon, I have been riding for the last 55 years and I am not there yet,

I still get out 3 times a week with my 70 year old mates,
we do about 50 km , solve all the worlds problems and always stop for coffee break and a chat.

Great fun if you can get it.
Cheers Ian
Ian, That's great.
Looking forward to your post.
Old 06-27-09, 07:25 PM
Ian Baillie

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
65+Thread - I asked for it

Hi Burr ,
Thanks for your welcome, I will try and pass on some useful comments.
Cheers Ian https://tinypic.com/m/2je5x2/2
Old 06-29-09, 01:32 PM
ModeratedUser150120149

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Really neat to see all the Elders on this board. I had to take a month off to get my optical sensors overhauled. The new multi-focal lenses seem to be doing a good job and I'm back riding. Not very long rides mind you; just 20-25 miles or so. Compared to many of you I'm a late starter. I didn't start "serious" riding until Fall 2007. But, I'm trying to make up for it now.

I'll be in Highlands Ranch, CO, USA (Denver suburb) for a week in mid-July. I hope to ride every day there.
Old 06-29-09, 05:41 PM
JohnBerry
LerpwllWelsh

Bikes: Bianchi Volpe 2003. Bike Friday World Tourer. Trek 1.2Alpha

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hey, I'm really 65+

Glad to find this forum. I'm in Austin, TX, new to Bike Forums today, and a touring cyclist. I've crossed North America from Homer, AK, to Brownsville, TX, to Red Bay, Labrador, in two trips in the last 4 years, and I'm about to start doing a number on Europe. Just bought a DownTube folder to do it on: the airlines are making it uneconomic to take a regular bike with you.

In the USA I can say I was born before WWII, but since I was actually born in Liverpool, England, it was actually in WWII.

If anyone has any insight into good places to visit in northern Germany I'd be interested to here it.
JohnBerry
Old 07-01-09, 12:29 AM
ModeratedUser150120149

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
It is Official.

I'm going to be in Denver area for a week starting July 12th! I'm looking forward to finding a bike and maybe even some fellow antiques to ride with. Any help?

Then, it looks like I'll be back again this November for Thanksgiving. Last Thanksgiving was my first cycling in the area. I'm looking forward to another sterling visit. Maybe even meet and ride with some new folks?
Old 07-01-09, 05:31 AM
DnvrFox
Banned.

It is Official.

I'm going to be in Denver area for a week starting July 12th! I'm looking forward to finding a bike and maybe even some fellow antiques to ride with. Any help?

Then, it looks like I'll be back again this November for Thanksgiving. Last Thanksgiving was my first cycling in the area. I'm looking forward to another sterling visit. Maybe even meet and ride with some new folks?

I've got several bikes. If you can get to my house, and if the bikes sort of fit you, would love to ride with you on our trails. My bikes are about 55 - 56's. Quill stems. Toe straps for the couple you might ride.

Here is my house. Just south of Jordan Road and E470. Lower right hand corner of the map.

Last edited by DnvrFox; 07-01-09 at 05:34 AM.
Old 07-01-09, 12:41 PM
ModeratedUser150120149

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Super!

I'll bring my shorts, helmet and shoes(set up for SPD). I'll be primarily in Highlands Ranch. But it isn't very far over to your area. I'll have a car during the day so it won't be a problem getting over there.

Different manufacturers use different measurements I guess. Or, maybe I'm so inexperienced that I don't know what good fit is? But, my road bike here is a 55. When I was on Maui I rode a 56 and a 58. I've also ridden a 54. All different mfg.

See you in a couple weeks.

Oh, if you are comfortable with it ship me a PM with your phone number to exchange. That way I can get actual address and Bail Me Out I'm Lost instructions.
Old 07-04-09, 12:10 PM
DnvrFox
Banned.

Super!

I'll bring my shorts, helmet and shoes(set up for SPD). I'll be primarily in Highlands Ranch. But it isn't very far over to your area. I'll have a car during the day so it won't be a problem getting over there.

Different manufacturers use different measurements I guess. Or, maybe I'm so inexperienced that I don't know what good fit is? But, my road bike here is a 55. When I was on Maui I rode a 56 and a 58. I've also ridden a 54. All different mfg.

See you in a couple weeks.

Oh, if you are comfortable with it ship me a PM with your phone number to exchange. That way I can get actual address and Bail Me Out I'm Lost instructions.
If you are bringing SPD shoes, bring your pedals. Only one of my bikes is SPD - and that is the one I ride. The other are toe clips. Actually, you will likely be riding my Windsor Leeds (my "utility" road bike with Sora). I'll be pleased to remove the panniers.
Old 07-06-09, 12:29 AM
ModeratedUser150120149

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by DnvrFox
If you are bringing SPD shoes, bring your pedals. Only one of my bikes is SPD - and that is the one I ride. The other are toe clips. Actually, you will likely be riding my Windsor Leeds (my "utility" road bike with Sora). I'll be pleased to remove the panniers.

PM Sent.

(Of course DF knows that. But I didn't want other readers to think I was stiffing him)
Old 07-06-09, 05:57 AM
DnvrFox
Banned.

PM Sent.

(Of course DF knows that. But I didn't want other readers to think I was stiffing him)
I've been stiffed by better folks than you!!

ANyone else want to join us in Parker for a ride next week?
Old 07-15-09, 07:47 PM
DnvrFox
Banned.

Latitude 65 and I had 2 great days of fun riding.

Tuesday on the Platte River Trail and Chatfield Reservoir, joined by my wife and a friend.

Wednesday on the Parker Trails.

And we discovered that we both like to talk, and McD's strawberry sundaes.

Thanks for the great time, L65!!

Last edited by DnvrFox; 07-15-09 at 08:41 PM.
Old 07-15-09, 08:14 PM
ModeratedUser150120149

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
When a person makes arrangements via the internet to meet and associate with someone you never know how it is going to turn out. In this case I had two days of real fun and met very nice people.

Not to be part of a mutual appreciation society I found in DenFox a person very much like myself. We share hobbies, attitudes and activities. Absolutely wonderful. I'll be back south in about four months. I look forward to some more fun time together. Our riding time was absolutely nothing but smiles and great sharing.

Oh yes, I am absolutely impressed by the trail system here in the Denver area.

Last edited by ModeratedUser150120149; 07-15-09 at 08:24 PM.
Old 07-17-09, 06:47 AM
DnvrFox
Banned.

For 65+'rs.

Are your interests/emphasis in bicycling changing?

I am approaching 70, and I am finding, over the past few years, a change in my interests and emphasis on bicycling.

More and more, I am riding simply for my own pleasure. I find myslef totally onconcerned with speed, averages, distances, bragging, etc.

When I first started at age 58, I was into things like "Ride the Rockies" and logging my miles, etc.

I simply do not do that anymore. Yet, I ride quite a bit, and I use the bicycle for all sorts of things - shopping, church, hardware store, etc. On a daily basis.

I find I don't have much in common with all the "how fast I am going" threads and the like.

Am I just getting "old?"
Old 07-17-09, 06:59 AM
Burr
Off your Donkey, lets go

Location: The Gardens, Roses & Orchids. Bulacan The Philippines and Red Mountain, Ca. USA

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by DnvrFox
For 65+'rs.

Are your interests/emphasis in bicycling changing?

I simply do not do that anymore. Yet, I ride quite a bit, and I use the bicycle for all sorts of things - shopping, church, hardware store, etc. On a daily basis.

I find I don't have much in common with all the "how fast I am going" threads and the like.

Am I just getting "old?"
I'm with you old man, I'm 67.7 and I ride for me. I ride around town on a mountain bike setup for the city. I ride in a park and do some part of 20 miles when I want to. I love it, feel great, keep my heart in good shape and BP down. I also lift when I want to with a full body workout so if I do one or three days a week I'll stay hard and

I'm Happy.

We need a over 60 group these 50 year old kids are still trying to prove something.

I have to ride to live (Diabetes) but I don't have to live to ride.
Old 07-17-09, 11:54 PM
ModeratedUser150120149

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Yes, DnvrFox you are getting old. Not only does that beat the alternative but it gives one a much clearer perspective on what is important and what is not. More important it means we are way past the time we have to worry about "proving ourselves". We can pick choose the things we expend on which we expend our energy.

As for me; I don't have much opportunity to ride with other mature riders. So most of my riding is done solo. I divide rides into three categories. First are Training Rides. These include my Spin Classes and are done for physical fitness with idea of not getting more years but putting more life in my years. Second, are my Social Rides. This week was one of the rare times I was able to do this kind of ride. These are my most important and fun times. Third are the Utliity Rides. These are using the bike for runs to the bank, supermarket, etc.

I do keep general track of ride statistics more in the mode of keeping track of my weight; not so much to compare with others as to keep track of me.

I'm a new rider. But, it has found its' way into my life in a very major way.
Old 07-19-09, 09:29 AM
ModeratedUser150120149

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Well, gotta go home to the wildfire smoke. Report is that it isn't as bad as it has been. I enjoyed my trip down last November. But, this trip surpased that one and gave me a whole new perspective. The next trip can't come soon enough.
Old 07-20-09, 06:39 PM
Ian Baillie

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
65+Thread- you asked for it

Hi,
It is great to see you all getting a maximum lift out of our great sport.

I and a lot of my over sixty cycling mates have only in recent years realised that we have to slow down and get extra pleasure out of our rides, it takes us all day to do what we used to do in a morning ride.
But we have accepted it and still keep extra fit by riding three times a week .
We are blessed with great riding weather most of the year, if it is raining or blowing a gale we stay home,
if it rains while we are out we just accept it and keep going.

ave a good day .
Cheers Ian
Old 07-26-09, 02:42 PM
iowaguy

Bikes: schminn fitcross

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
New to the Forums

Hello everybody, newbe here this looks like the place I belong. way passed 65 and just getting into biking again. Glad I found this site...
Old 07-26-09, 06:25 PM
Burr
Off your Donkey, lets go

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Welcome Guy, please be part of our group!

Ride at your pace, live at your pace and be very happy.

We look forward to your post!
Old 07-26-09, 07:10 PM
ModeratedUser150120149

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I've discovered yet another downside to being an elder: Decreased tolerance for smoke and the junk in it. We have several wildfires burning in our area. I think the total acreage so far is something over 1.2 million acres burned. At the whim of the wind the smoke from the fires drifts into where we live. It gets down to a few hundred feet of choking, eye burning and generally gaspy breathing gas.

Oh well,....
Old 07-29-09, 05:51 AM
Burr
Off your Donkey, lets go

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I’m very glad Armstrong did as well as he did very and glad he is starting the Radio Shack Team.

I am very unhappy that the other guy ran his mouth about Armstrong and I hope it cost him dearly. There was no need for that.

Just my thoughts

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.