Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

We may be nuts

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

We may be nuts

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-13, 10:43 AM
dalava

Bikes: Moots Vamoots, Colnago C60, Santa Cruz Stigmata CC, and too many other bikes I don't ride

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 152 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
We may be nuts

Yesterday, I was almost home from my 40-mile loop waiting for the lights, a car pulled up next to me, the driver rolled down the window and said to me "are you nuts riding in this weather?" I looked down, my Garmin showing temp at 22 degrees, and the wind was blowing pretty constantly at about 25 mph, I thought to myself, may be we are.

But I really enjoyed the hot shower afterwards.
Old 02-18-13, 10:47 AM
Number400

Bikes: Cannondale Slate 105 and T2 tandem, 2008 Scott Addict R4, Raleigh SC drop bar tandem

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I did not go out yesterday, I commend you! I did go out a few weekends ago when it was 19 degrees and felt like 9. I was cold!

When it is cold like this, I have started just doing hills instead of a speed ride. Climbing keeps me nice and toasty.

I really should invest in real cold weather gear...
Old 02-18-13, 10:55 AM
triumph.1

Bikes: 12 Bianchi Oltre VDCM,11 Bianchi Cavaria, 13 Bianchi Cavaria,12 Bianchi infinito, couple vintage Bianchi's and a 1980 alan super record

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've been riding in it all Winter and have been fine, although every non cyclist I know thinks I'm off, which is a fair assessment.
Old 02-18-13, 10:56 AM
merlinextraligh
pan y agua

Bikes: Willier Zero 7; Merlin Extralight; Calfee Dragonfly tandem, Calfee Adventure tandem; Cervelo P2; Motebecane Ti Fly 29er; Motebecanne Phantom Cross; Schwinn Paramount Track bike

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1451 Post(s)
Liked 731 Times in 374 Posts
Friggin 34 degrees, and a 25 mph wind riding in Florida yesterday morning.

Fortunately, I ride in weather like that once maybe twice a year.
OR YOU COULD STAY HOME AND FALL OFF THE COUCH AND DIE.
Old 02-18-13, 11:03 AM
Mike F

Bikes: 2017 Specilized Roubaix, 2012 Scott CR1 Team, Felt Z85

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
It doesnt get cold here that often and when it does its the mid to high 30's. In San Diego you would think the world was coming to an end. People are posting their car temperatures and iPhone screen shots of how cold it is on FB. When Im riding at 0400 during these cold spells, I get people staring at me and shaking their heads at stop lights. Ive come to the conclusion that they think I have a DUI and have to commute to work. Weve got it pretty good here and you people riding in the 20's and below are crazy
Old 02-18-13, 11:06 AM
BillyD
Administrator

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene '04; Bridgestone RB-1 '92

Mentioned: 325 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11975 Post(s)
Liked 6,655 Times in 3,486 Posts
Even I consider some of you people extremists . . . imagine what the general public thinks.
Old 02-18-13, 11:24 AM
dramiscram
ouate de phoque

Bikes: Bianchi, Nakamura,Opus

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Who's nuts really?

Last week end I met my brother in law at my in-law's house, he was getting out of his car, poorly dressed and freezing, the temp. was around -22 celcius. I was dressed accordingly, steaming a little, getting off my bike after the 15 kms ride between my house and the in-law's house. He told me the exact same thing : are you nuts riding in this weather? (we're french canadian so in fact he told me: Es-tu fou de rouler par une température pareille?)
I replied, smiling: who's freezing? You! So who's nuts?
Old 02-18-13, 11:34 AM
2manybikes

Bikes: 2 many

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1266 Post(s)
Liked 323 Times in 169 Posts
I ride about twice a week when the temp is in the mid 20's F .

A friend of mine who is an expert ski instructor, says "there's no such thing as bad weather, only inappropriate clothing".

He's really right, one can dress for anything. I'm comfortable when riding in sub freezing temps.

People ski in way below zero F, but think the bike is colder. They'r the ones that are nuts.

If one skis in sub freezing temperature, you already have most of the clothing you need for the bike at that temp. That's how I started riding the bike in the cold. Over time I modified my outfit to be more bicycle specific.
Old 02-18-13, 11:39 AM
2manybikes

Originally Posted by BillyD
Even I consider some of you people extremists . . . imagine what the general public thinks.
Going into restaurants in bike tights has taught me that everyone thinks I'm nuts without being cold. Nothing changes in the winter. Bailey is looking at the 20F deep snow out the window, we're outa heaa.
Old 02-18-13, 12:08 PM
Dead Roman
Devourer of souls

Bikes: Felt f70

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
In my experience, no mater how cold it is on the bike, if you have leggings and a good wind breaking layer you will be fine as long as you keep moving.
Old 02-18-13, 12:11 PM
dalava

Bikes: Moots Vamoots, Colnago C60, Santa Cruz Stigmata CC, and too many other bikes I don't ride

Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by 2manybikes
A friend of mine who is an expert ski instructor, says "there's no such thing as bad weather, only inappropriate clothing".
So true... that's what I told the driver too "as long as you dress right, this is not bad". He just shook his head and rolled up the window.
Old 02-18-13, 12:16 PM
zonatandem

Bikes: Custom Zona c/f tandem + Scott Plasma single

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 11 Posts
Vous n'etes pas fou!
Old 02-18-13, 12:21 PM
Youngin
ub3r n00b

Bikes: Bianchi Via Nirone, Trek 6000SS, Zebrakanko FG

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Look at what nordic skiers wear in those temperatures. We go out in them and colder routinely. If you're not subject to those temperatures often then there's less need to invest in the right clothing. Wind briefs, shoe covers, eye, ear and face cover can make much colder rides comfortable. Cold wear rowing gear is also usually very comfortable to ride in, the material is usually flexible and some like JL rowing stuff is treated to shed water.
Old 02-18-13, 12:51 PM
cplager
The Recumbent Quant

Bikes: 2012 Cruzbike Sofrider, 2013 Cruzigami Mantis, 2016 Folding CruziTandem

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by dalava
Yesterday, I was almost home from my 40-mile loop waiting for the lights, a car pulled up next to me, the driver rolled down the window and said to me "are you nuts riding in this weather?" I looked down, my Garmin showing temp at 22 degrees, and the wind was blowing pretty constantly at about 25 mph, I thought to myself, may be we are.

We had similar weather here yesterday too. I went a lot shorter distance (my feet were getting cold). During my hour, I saw 1 walker and 1 runner. I didn't see a single other person on a bicycle.
Old 02-18-13, 12:53 PM
cplager
The Recumbent Quant

Bikes: 2012 Cruzbike Sofrider, 2013 Cruzigami Mantis, 2016 Folding CruziTandem

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Youngin
Look at what nordic skiers wear in those temperatures. We go out in them and colder routinely. If you're not subject to those temperatures often then there's less need to invest in the right clothing. Wind briefs, shoe covers, eye, ear and face cover can make much colder rides comfortable. Cold wear rowing gear is also usually very comfortable to ride in, the material is usually flexible and some like JL rowing stuff is treated to shed water.
But when skiiing, do your speeds vary by a factor of 6? I'll easily hit 30 mph going down the hills and climb back up at slower than 5 mph. All that being said, I try:

Last edited by cplager; 02-18-13 at 02:57 PM.
Old 02-18-13, 02:26 PM
lenny866

Location: Foothills of the beautiful Adirondack Mountains, NY
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Friggin 34 degrees, and a 25 mph wind riding in Florida yesterday morning.
Lucky you!! You had a nice warm day to go for a ride.
Old 02-18-13, 04:09 PM
2manybikes

Originally Posted by Dead Roman
In my experience, no mater how cold it is on the bike, if you have leggings and a good wind breaking layer you will be fine as long as you keep moving.
Exactly right.

If I am riding alone I can also ride harder if I'm cold, or slower if too hot. This way I can extend my comfortable temperature range as it gets cold after dark. I have to switch from gloves to mittens at about 25F. So I bring them.
Old 02-18-13, 04:25 PM
surgeonstone

Bikes: 1976 FRESCHI, 2004 Crumpton.

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 925 Post(s)
Liked 21 Times in 10 Posts
Funny thing, the guy would most likely never said a thing to a person skiing or skating in that weather and yet the typical non cyclist mind can't compute cycling in winter. I grew up in New England skiing every weekend and break from first grade on and hockey every night on the pond across the street from our house ( and this was when we actually had real winters), and I find cycling no different that those activities, in fact I find it easier in terms of warmth as I generate a lot more heat cycling than with the other 2 activities. Well maybe not hockey, we used to go at it pretty hard.
Old 02-18-13, 04:27 PM
surgeonstone

Originally Posted by 2manybikes
I ride about twice a week when the temp is in the mid 20's F .

He's really right, one can dress for anything. I'm comfortable when riding in sub freezing temps.

People ski in way below zero F, but think the bike is colder. They'r the ones that are nuts.

If one skis in sub freezing temperature, you already have most of the clothing you need for the bike at that temp. That's how I started riding the bike in the cold. Over time I modified my outfit to be more bicycle specific.
Exactly, dress right and you are fine.
Old 02-18-13, 05:26 PM
dalava

Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by surgeonstone
Funny thing, the guy would most likely never said a thing to a person skiing or skating in that weather and yet the typical non cyclist mind can't compute cycling in winter. I grew up in New England skiing every weekend and break from first grade on and hockey every night on the pond across the street from our house ( and this was when we actually had real winters), and I find cycling no different that those activities, in fact I find it easier in terms of warmth as I generate a lot more heat cycling than with the other 2 activities. Well maybe not hockey, we used to go at it pretty hard.
what happened to those real winters?

Seriously, even in Canada (Toronto area), you don't get real winters any more. It's more like 30-40 degrees most of the time, and then some sucky wet 10-20 for a day or two every other week.
Old 02-18-13, 06:01 PM
surgeonstone

what happened to those real winters?

Seriously, even in Canada (Toronto area), you don't get real winters any more. It's more like 30-40 degrees most of the time, and then some sucky wet 10-20 for a day or two every other week.
I think Al Gore has them packed away somewhere for future use.
Old 02-18-13, 09:17 PM
Vicegrip

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

The wind was impressive in nova yesterday. I was almost out of cogs in back and about to drop off the big ring on the flats along the Potomac. It almost felt like a boost when it was time to turn west and go uphill on 4MR and the WO&D. The funny thing was I was far from thinking this was nuts. I was happy to have some "found" time to go for a ride while my son was at a drop off B-day party that happened to be near a local MUP. I copped an hour ride and still did the Daddy detail. You know you are having fun when wind speed, travel speed and temp are all about the same.

Last edited by Vicegrip; 02-18-13 at 09:22 PM.
Old 02-19-13, 08:24 AM
zatopek

Bikes: Neilpryde Nazare, Storck Scenero G3, Colnago Extreme Power, CAAD 10, Bowman Palace R, Strong Custom Foco Steel, BMC SLR01, BMC ALR01

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 96 Post(s)
Liked 114 Times in 53 Posts

Yes, we are nuts. I was out riding in Maryland in the same weather you encountered and ended up with a mild case of frostbite on my toes, in spite of two pairs of socks and pretty darned thick neoprene booties. The next day, temperatures in the 30s, with lighter winds, seemed almost balmy in comparison.
All my club mates who were hunkered down in their nice warm beds had better watch out once spring gets here! On second thought, I stink and all the extra winter training miles in the world won't help much.
Old 02-19-13, 08:56 AM
idc

Bikes: quite a few

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Dead Roman
In my experience, no matter how cold it is on the bike, if you have leggings and a good wind breaking layer you will be fine as long as you keep moving.
Yeah, I've had the same experience. Feet/hands are the toughest to keep warm, otherwise it's all gravy.
Old 02-19-13, 09:09 AM
dalava

Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by zatopek
Yes, we are nuts. I was out riding in Maryland in the same weather you encountered and ended up with a mild case of frostbite on my toes, in spite of two pairs of socks and pretty darned thick neoprene booties. The next day, temperatures in the 30s, with lighter winds, seemed almost balmy in comparison.
All my club mates who were hunkered down in their nice warm beds had better watch out once spring gets here! On second thought, I stink and all the extra winter training miles in the world won't help much.
For those of us unlucky enough having to work yesterday, I commuted in. Even though it was only 24 degrees, without the wind, like you said, it felt balmy by comparison.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.