Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Adding a bottle cage (without braze ons)

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Adding a bottle cage (without braze ons)

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-13, 08:27 AM
Daveyates

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Just buy a longer bottle that holds twice the amount
Old 03-01-13, 08:47 AM
triumph.1

Bikes: 12 Bianchi Oltre VDCM,11 Bianchi Cavaria, 13 Bianchi Cavaria,12 Bianchi infinito, couple vintage Bianchi's and a 1980 alan super record

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I haven't used an under seat mount cage before, but on the one occasion I rode behind someone with one I nearly wrecked twice when the bottle ejected from the cage onto the road when bumpy road was hit. I am in the same boat, one bottle cage on one of my bikes and need an alternative. I am not sure what the colonel's exact solution is, but it sounds better. I also wonder about reaching to get the bottle and putting it back when mounted to the seat.?
Old 03-01-13, 08:52 AM
gomango

Mentioned: 74 Post(s)
Quoted: 821 Post(s)
Liked 256 Times in 142 Posts
Originally Posted by triumph.1
I haven't used an under seat mount cage before, but on the one occasion I rode behind someone with one I nearly wrecked twice when the bottle ejected from the cage onto the road when bumpy road was hit. I am in the same boat, one bottle cage on one of my bikes and need an alternative. I am not sure what the colonel's exact solution is, but it sounds better. I also wonder about reaching to get the bottle and putting it back when mounted to the seat.?
Unfortunate.

My wife has raced tri's and she uses dual seat mounted bottles.

I don't recall difficulties from that arrangement.

Racing is a different situation though, as I do see them throwing empties onto the side of the road/course.
Old 03-01-13, 11:51 AM
triumph.1

Bikes: 12 Bianchi Oltre VDCM,11 Bianchi Cavaria, 13 Bianchi Cavaria,12 Bianchi infinito, couple vintage Bianchi's and a 1980 alan super record

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by gomango
Unfortunate.

My wife has raced tri's and she uses dual seat mounted bottles.

I don't recall difficulties from that arrangement.

Racing is a different situation though, as I do see them throwing empties onto the side of the road/course.
lol, the lady I rode behind in that particular ride was a tri athlete. I finally said to her she had a heck of a race strategy to drop bottles in front of others to ensure she stayed out front.
Old 03-01-13, 12:03 PM
gomango

Mentioned: 74 Post(s)
Quoted: 821 Post(s)
Liked 256 Times in 142 Posts
lol, the lady I rode behind in that particular ride was a tri athlete. I finally said to her she had a heck of a race strategy to drop bottles in front of others to ensure she stayed out front.
Drives me nuts when gels get tossed all over routes.

I see those things on routes after local tris.
Old 03-01-13, 12:04 PM
sloar 

Bikes: they change so much I'm tired of updating this

Mentioned: 168 Post(s)
Quoted: 1212 Post(s)
Liked 1,128 Times in 427 Posts
i like my spring loaded cage, already has the mounting tabs on it. usually i wear a bike jersey and put another bottle in the rear

pocket.

Old 03-01-13, 12:09 PM
thirdgenbird

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by KonAaron Snake
For aesthetics...what thirdgen did looks AMAZING...but I think I'd probably use handlebar mounted so I could grab the bottle without stopping. Love the paint too...Colnagos don't usually do much for me, but this one is pretty hawt.
Getting the bottle out while riding will be a non issue. I nearly hate to admit the things I've done while riding... adjusting helmet straps, cleaning glasses, checking weather radar on phone, transferring contents of my bottle to someone else's.

thanks for the complements. To be honest, I've never been overly drawn to colnagos but this one spoke to me. Joe Bell really made this one special.

Originally Posted by ColonelJLloyd
I have one of the Minoura mounts as well, but I didn't care for the location and it didn't seem very secure on my Brooks Professional (it actually fell off on one occasion).
This doesn't surprise me. The design looks very subject to the shape of the saddle rails. Fortunately, it looks like it was made for this saddle. The low profile rails give it no where to go. I have to completely remove one bolt and loosen the other a long ways before it will come out. I could see it sliding out of a taller saddle if the bolts loosen. It may be a pain, but you could put a locknut on the back side of the plate.

Originally Posted by Daveyates
Just buy a longer bottle that holds twice the amount
750ml-800ml seems to be max for a good bottle. Throwing another 500ml out back will be nice for longer rides.

I haven't used an under seat mount cage before, but on the one occasion I rode behind someone with one I nearly wrecked twice when the bottle ejected from the cage onto the road when bumpy road was hit.
this is my number 1 concern. Behind the seat hydration has a reputation for ejecting but I think a lot of it has to do with the cages a lot of these people use. I plan to test on early spring solo rides. If I loose a bottle I will look at using a rubber band or something to strap it in. I would have to get off the bike to switch the bottles, but it beats dehydrating 10 miles from home. I've done it, and made it, but it wasnt fun...
Old 03-01-13, 12:20 PM
ColonelJLloyd 

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 111 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by thirdgenbird
This doesn't surprise me. The design looks very subject to the shape of the saddle rails. Fortunately, it looks like it was made for this saddle. The low profile rails give it no where to go. I have to completely remove one bolt and loosen the other a long ways before it will come out. I could see it sliding out of a taller saddle if the bolts loosen. It may be a pain, but you could put a locknut on the back side of the plate.
Actually it wasn't the bolts that were the issue. I tightened it down really well, so much so that it sort of bent the one of the pieces. The problem was that that it just moved along the chrome rails caused by vibration. I'm sure I could have solved it by some means, but it had other drawbacks for me so it sits on the shelf. Let me know if you could use another one.
Old 03-01-13, 12:55 PM
thirdgenbird

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
I could see that happening. On my saddle, the bracket fills nearly the entire vertical section of the saddle rail. It really can't slide anywhere.

I don't see a need for another one but I will keep it in mind.
Old 03-01-13, 01:41 PM
ilikebikes
K2ProFlex baby!

Location: My response would have been something along the lines of: "Does your bike have computer controlled suspension? Then shut your piehole, this baby is from the future!"

Bikes: to many to list

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 56 Times in 31 Posts
If I got a straw, I could drink from my aero tuck:

Good to hear. Did it fit ok on yours? It is very close to not working with the slr. The bottle just touches the saddle.
Now thats funny!
You see, their morals, their code...it's a bad joke, dropped at the first sign of trouble. They're only as good as the world allows them to be. I'll show you. When the chips are down, these...These "civilized" people...they'll eat each other. See, I'm not a monster. I'm just ahead of the curve
Old 03-01-13, 06:32 PM
RobbieTunes
Banned.

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 378 Post(s)
Liked 1,410 Times in 910 Posts
Originally Posted by gomango
Drives me nuts when gels get tossed all over routes.

I see those things on routes after local tris.
Doesn't surprise you though, does it? You've seen that culture....drive an hour to get a tubular mounted for $25 in labor, 4 hours to get a $120 hotel room, $450 rack on the car with a $5000 bike, $20 in food in a $200 skinsuit, and then they toss the gels all over the road, and complain when they get DQ'd for drafting. I asked one once what was going on, and she said "I spent $120 in entry fees; they can clean up the course."

Always a certain percentage of those. Still, I must admit to being happy when they get passed by unshaven folks on 80-90's road bikes.

I'll buy you one of those Bell clamp-on bottle cages, but you have to promise to use it on the 'nago.

Last edited by RobbieTunes; 03-01-13 at 06:37 PM.
Old 03-01-13, 06:47 PM
thirdgenbird

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
I can't make that promise Robbie
Old 03-01-13, 07:00 PM
cehowardGS
Motorcycle RoadRacer

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
You are not the only one infatuated with your Colnago!

I hate you!!

Old 03-01-13, 07:51 PM
fender1

Bikes: I hate bikes!

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 431 Post(s)
Liked 710 Times in 233 Posts
The OP's solution looks great. Matches the bike and the intent. These work very well for bikes that need an extra cage on the seat tube.

https://harriscyclery.net/product/eli...c9155-qc49.htm

Used one on my Ritchey

[IMG][/IMG]
Old 03-01-13, 07:51 PM
thirdgenbird

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by cehowardGS
You are not the only one infatuated with your Colnago!
I hate you!!

Old 03-01-13, 08:13 PM
cbresciani

Bikes: Colnago C40 HP, De Rosa-Primato, Titus Ti FCR, MOOTS YBB-SL, Pogliaghi Pista

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
If I got a straw, I could drink from my aero tuck:
Good to hear. Did it fit ok on yours? It is very close to not working with the slr. The bottle just touches the saddle.
No issues with mine, but my saddle rails are a little different, the angle of the cage seems more flat than yours. The bottom of the cage almost touches my seatpost.
Old 03-01-13, 08:54 PM
Michael Angelo 

Bikes: Treks (USA), Schwinn Paramount, Schwinn letour,Raleigh Team Professional, Gazelle GoldLine Racing, 2 Super Mondias, Carlton Professional.

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked 30 Times in 22 Posts
Zefal Mounts on my 1972 Raleigh Competition. I used a bit of thick Protective tape first.

Old 09-26-13, 10:02 PM
crank_addict
Banned

Mentioned: 93 Post(s)
Quoted: 1361 Post(s)
Liked 424 Times in 283 Posts
Thread revival

Go ahead and laugh.... I'm a fan of the Camelback. Anyhow, here's my WIP old school Coloral mount on the stem. Has a bit appearance of floating assembly. Rock solid with no brackets on the bike frame or handlebars and if I need to tweak bar degree, there's no need to fuss with the bottle bracket. The old square head nuts are ugly too, but that's the original hardware.

Old 09-27-13, 06:44 AM
thirdgenbird

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
That rocks. That would be the perfect place for morning coffee on a townie.