Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Stronglight cranks

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Stronglight cranks

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-18, 03:35 PM
triumph.1

Bikes: 12 Bianchi Oltre VDCM,11 Bianchi Cavaria, 13 Bianchi Cavaria,12 Bianchi infinito, couple vintage Bianchi's and a 1980 alan super record

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Stronglight cranks

I need some expert advice. I have been trying to buy a stronglight 99 crank for an Eroica bike I have and was hoping to fit a 50/34 set of rings to make climbing easieer. I purchased three cranks now off of ebay and all three appear to be bent or warped. I have a brand new true 50t chainring and put it on a straight campy spindle to test if the thing spins true and all tree wobble very badly. Were these cranks prone to warpage or spiders being bent or have I just been screwed three times in a row? The bb on the bike is the bottom bracket original to the bike and the original campy crank spins true. Any advice how to proceed as I think I am done buying junk cranks, thanks.
Old 02-05-18, 03:51 PM
bikemig 

Bikes: A bunch of old bikes and a few new ones

Mentioned: 178 Post(s)
Quoted: 5888 Post(s)
Liked 3,472 Times in 2,079 Posts
I've had zero problems with stronglight 99 cranks; it seems weird that you have had issues with 3. They are a great choice for an eroica build exactly for the reasons you give.
Old 02-05-18, 04:06 PM
Kontact 

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 4420 Post(s)
Liked 1,568 Times in 1,030 Posts
3 cranks and one spindle. I'd be looking at that spindle.

Take the rings off and measure to the seat tube which spider arm is furthest out. Then remove the crank and try it again rotated 90° on the spindle. Is the same arm still furthest outboard?
Old 02-05-18, 04:13 PM
triumph.1

Bikes: 12 Bianchi Oltre VDCM,11 Bianchi Cavaria, 13 Bianchi Cavaria,12 Bianchi infinito, couple vintage Bianchi's and a 1980 alan super record

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I just put on the strong light bb and no difference all three spin with untrue side to side. I guess I will have to try and return three bad cranks and run the 53/42 campy crank I have which will really stink.
Old 02-05-18, 04:16 PM
triumph.1

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Kontact
3 cranks and one spindle. I'd be looking at that spindle.

Take the rings off and measure to the seat tube which spider arm is furthest out. Then remove the crank and try it again rotated 90° on the spindle. Is the same arm still furthest outboard?
The spindle spins as true as new with the campy crank on it and I did just change the bb to the strong light bb I have and there is no difference. This would definately indicate and issue with the used cranks. Can they be fixed or would they be throw aways?
Old 02-05-18, 04:19 PM
Ex Pres 
Cat 6

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 500 Post(s)
Liked 183 Times in 118 Posts
Originally Posted by triumph.1
The spindle spins as true as new with the campy crank on it and I did just change the bb to the strong light bb I have and there is no difference. This would definately indicate and issue with the used cranks. Can they be fixed or would they be throw aways?
It's worth putting a big wrench on the crankarms and giving them a good tug, or getting out a hammer (with protection of course). You wouldn't be the first one to give a crank a good whack. What's the worst that could happen - you're not going to use it anyway.
Old 02-05-18, 04:26 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
Reads like you were just the guy they unloaded bent crank arms on... it's just the risk of online shopping for used stuff..
Old 02-05-18, 04:30 PM
juvela

Mentioned: 415 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3814 Post(s)
Liked 3,345 Times in 2,182 Posts
-----

For Eroica use I would suggest getting a first generation or "Mk.I" with the bare metal finish which can be polished if one so wishes. Second generation launched 1977 and has the anodised finish.

-----
Old 02-05-18, 04:38 PM
cyclophilia 

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 72 Post(s)
Liked 101 Times in 63 Posts
Do you observe the same result with a different Stronglight chainring? Do the large and small chainrings both exhibit the same amount of deflection? Depending upon the amount of run-out you might be able to gently adjust the chainrings so that they run true. BITD bike shops would use a crescent-style wrench or the Bicycle Research tool to correct minor anomalies in the chainring alignment.
Old 02-05-18, 05:00 PM
tinkerbike

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
Try the crank on all 4 spindle seats - rotate it around the flats to see if the wobble improves for different seatings. Sometimes there's one that will spin true.
Old 02-05-18, 05:00 PM
CO_Hoya 
Señor Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 284 Post(s)
Liked 299 Times in 150 Posts
I've had bent Stronglight spiders before. I followed the instructions from Sheldon Brown and was able to resolve it to my satisfaction.
Old 02-05-18, 06:27 PM
triumph.1

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I will give the suggestions a try, thanks all for the direction. I have a good friend that is a true vintage guy and he is gonna try to get over to assess the issues first hand. It would be nice to salvage one of the three cranks for the darn money I threw away. Thanks again everyone it's cool to be able to get support for vintage stuff I don't know a lot about.
Old 02-05-18, 06:57 PM
triumph.1

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by CO_Hoya
I've had bent Stronglight spiders before. I followed the instructions from Sheldon Brown and was able to resolve it to my satisfaction.
Whoa, this looks like a simple fix, thanks for that link!
Old 02-05-18, 08:49 PM
due ruote 

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 904 Post(s)
Liked 527 Times in 320 Posts
Please report back. 3 bent cranks seems fishy. I would be curious to know the outcome.
Also look at it this way - if you can determine that they are not bent, you can resell 2 of them with a clean conscience.
Old 02-05-18, 10:28 PM
ThermionicScott 
working on my sandal tan

Bikes: 1991 Bianchi Eros, 1964 Armstrong, 1988 Diamondback Ascent, 1988 Bianchi Premio, 1987 Bianchi Sport SX, 1980s Raleigh mixte (hers), All-City Space Horse (hers)

Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Quoted: 3871 Post(s)
Liked 2,568 Times in 1,579 Posts
Dare I ask if you lubed the spindles at all? It's felt by some of us (but certainly not all) that cranks are more likely to go on straight if they are allowed to "glide" into position before being torqued, whereas a rough part of the mating surface could catch and cause the crank to become crooked if you don't.
People in this forum are not typical.
RUSA #7498

Last edited by ThermionicScott; 02-05-18 at 10:31 PM.
Old 02-05-18, 11:37 PM
dddd
Ride, Wrench, Swap, Race

Bikes: Cheltenham-Pedersen racer, Boulder F/S Paris-Roubaix, Varsity racer, '52 Christophe, '62 Continental, '92 Merckx, '75 Limongi, '76 Presto, '72 Gitane SC, '71 Schwinn SS, etc.

Mentioned: 132 Post(s)
Quoted: 1565 Post(s)
Liked 1,296 Times in 866 Posts
At some relatively early point in my old-bike resuscitation activities, I decided that I needed to achieve better mastery of front derailer foibles, especially as the often ill-functioning "road triples" came into vogue using off-brand cranksets and who-cares-who's chain installed from the factory!
Pretty much the first requirement was to achieve true-running chainrings, for obvious reasons.
I learned right away that there is risk in applying any bending loads to an installed chainring when I broke a chainring mounting tab off of a cast Suntour GPX crankarm while applying bending load directly to it's installed big chainring.
The chainrings are made of cold-worked material, and so are very springy. So it is the crankarm spider itself that is the more-usual culprit, even with forged cranks. The relatively rare bent chainrings can be quite tricky to align in and of themselves, especially the big rings with their deeper sections that can hide stress-relieving nightmares.
I adopted the simple method of taking a 3# hammer and foot-long dowel rod (fashioned from a wooden broom handle), and using this to impact-true the crankarm spider arms, always applying the load to the bolt heads (and nut heads, depending on whether I am moving a spider arm to one side or the other).
This is a very fast method that I have used many hundreds of times now without ever having broken another spider arm mounting tab, since I am not generating torque through any length of a big chainring's mounting tabs. The slender dowel even sneaks in to where the non-driveside crankarm may be directly in the way when impacting a "shielded" spider arm from the non-driveside.
On one occasion I even did this to good effect while out test-riding, using a rock and a piece of wood to perfect the trueness of the Stronglight 93 crankset I had mounted to a Raleigh 753 team.
A good idea (posted already) is to rotate the driveside crank to each of it's four possible positions upon installation, before installing the left-side arm, to check for which of the four positions has the chainring running straightest before proceeding with installing the left arm. I do that with probably most of the used-bike builds that I throw together, it's easier than bending things or at least minimizes the amount of any needed bending, and it's not necessary to heavily torque the arm onto the spindle with each test-fitting. So the process goes quickly.
I thus regard a bent chainring as a more-tricky problem than a bent spider arm or arms, though in one instance I encountered a defective Shimano Octalink 5503 crankarm that apparently was manufactured with a wild amount of off-axis wobble between it's bb interface and chainring mounting points that could not be remedied.
Again though, after hundreds of repetitions, I have yet to damage a crank of any type by using the dowel and 3# hammer, and it's pretty fast work that takes but a minute or three.
Now if I was buying a crank and found say 1/4" or more of chainring runout, I would not feel that I was being unfair in requesting refund or compensation for what I would term a bent crankset, because it should have been obvious to the seller, and might involve the chainrings as well as the crankarm spider.

Last edited by dddd; 02-05-18 at 11:40 PM.
Old 02-08-18, 08:33 PM
triumph.1

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I talked to a friend who mentioned over the years he had gotten a hold of several cranks that had the same symptom as my stronglight crank issues. He said he finally figured it out that the cranks had been poorly maintained/used or possible were run semi loose on the spindle causing the spindle hole to wear oddly. I still have not had a chance to get the other friend over to look these cranks over, but am hoping soon. I contacted the ebay seller from the last sale and he is willing to take the crank back, but did say he rode the crank on a bike w/o an issue? Is it possible the hole is worn to a specific spindle? I still find it hard to believe three cranks have the same problem, but anything is possible. If it is a case of wear can that be fixed with a shim or another method?
Old 02-08-18, 08:47 PM
triumph.1

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ThermionicScott
Dare I ask if you lubed the spindles at all? It's felt by some of us (but certainly not all) that cranks are more likely to go on straight if they are allowed to "glide" into position before being torqued, whereas a rough part of the mating surface could catch and cause the crank to become crooked if you don't.
Dry, I am afraid. grease completely slipped my mind as I generally don't ride vintage bikes a lot anymore.
Old 02-08-18, 09:01 PM
Hudson308 
Mr. Anachronism

Bikes: fillet-brazed Chicago Schwinns, and some other stuff

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 526 Post(s)
Liked 256 Times in 165 Posts
Originally Posted by dddd
A good idea (posted already) is to rotate the driveside crank to each of it's four possible positions upon installation, before installing the left-side arm, to check for which of the four positions has the chainring running straightest before proceeding with installing the left arm. I do that with probably most of the used-bike builds that I throw together, it's easier than bending things or at least minimizes the amount of any needed bending, and it's not necessary to heavily torque the arm onto the spindle with each test-fitting. So the process goes quickly.
Despite a fair bit of controversy regarding this, my LBS owner buddy swears by it.

Last edited by Hudson308; 02-08-18 at 09:05 PM.
Old 02-08-18, 09:51 PM
due ruote 

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 904 Post(s)
Liked 527 Times in 320 Posts
Originally Posted by triumph.1
Dry, I am afraid. grease completely slipped my mind as I generally don't ride vintage bikes a lot anymore.
Dry vs. greased square spindles is one of the great C&V debates.
Old 02-08-18, 11:24 PM
Salamandrine 

Bikes: 78 Masi Criterium, 68 PX10, 2016 Mercian King of Mercia, Rivendell Clem Smith Jr

Mentioned: 120 Post(s)
Quoted: 2317 Post(s)
Liked 597 Times in 430 Posts
If the inner tapers of the cranks are distorted because they were ridden when loose, there's really nothing you can do. Unfortunately, that makes them toast. However, that may or may not be the case. Usually the indicator for this is that they simply won't stay on. No way to know for sure but to try.

I agree with suggestion to try the crankarm for fit four ways, and go with the one that gives the most true fit to start.

In this case I would use grease on the tapers, primarily because you may be force fitting over a slightly mangled surface. Tighten them on to at least 25 ft lbs. I'll sometimes go to 30 for the left. Be sure to grease the crank bolt and washer well. (i'm not going to get into the grease or no grease debate - some other time) At that point you can get to work truing the spider, and then the chainrings, if necessary.
Old 02-09-18, 02:35 AM
dddd
Ride, Wrench, Swap, Race

Bikes: Cheltenham-Pedersen racer, Boulder F/S Paris-Roubaix, Varsity racer, '52 Christophe, '62 Continental, '92 Merckx, '75 Limongi, '76 Presto, '72 Gitane SC, '71 Schwinn SS, etc.

The right crankarm will handle more torque before any over-stress of the aluminum ever takes place as from repeatedly re-torqueing (which is a no-no).

Either the square taper is hogged out or it isn't, a visual inspection will show if it's all chewed up inside.
Even really chewed crankarms can be used if the bolt is secured with Loctite, I finished one CX race where my left crankarm was intentionally ridden till it fell off on the last lap since I was trying to hold my position on the course. I finished the second half of the last lap riding one-legged and finished the season using that same arm.

The chainring wobble has nothing to do with whether the tapers were lubricated, and wear in this area just isn't a real concern in the real world.

Truing the chainring spider is a valuable skill that is actually fun to learn using the correct foot-long dowel and 3# hammer, just practice building up to the needed force level until the needed correction is achieved. Patience is your friend, just be sure to use the front derailer cage as your reference sighting guide above the rotating chainring, and situate the bike to not roll as you apply the corrections (rubber band around the rear brake lever to handlebar).

To the OP, how far out of plane was the chainring wobbling? A quarter inch is not too uncommon on neglected used-bike finds, but bigger bends are reason for concern imo.
Old 02-09-18, 10:44 AM
nesposito

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 10 Posts
you can pick these up cheap and throw them on for L'Eroica. They have 48/34 gearing OR they offer them as a triple as well. cheap and easy fix

https://www.ribblecycles.co.uk/stron...oad/#pid=21949
Old 02-09-18, 10:59 AM
Salamandrine 

Bikes: 78 Masi Criterium, 68 PX10, 2016 Mercian King of Mercia, Rivendell Clem Smith Jr

Mentioned: 120 Post(s)
Quoted: 2317 Post(s)
Liked 597 Times in 430 Posts
Originally Posted by dddd
The right crankarm will handle more torque before any over-stress of the aluminum ever takes place as from repeatedly re-torqueing (which is a no-no).
While that is probably true, it's rare to actually fracture a crank this way, and the left crank arms are much more prone to loosening up. That's why there's a plethora of single right crankarms on ebay...

Also true that loctite will hold them on if mangled, but this is less than optimal, for obvious reasons.
Old 02-09-18, 04:59 PM
dddd
Ride, Wrench, Swap, Race

Originally Posted by Salamandrine
While that is probably true, it's rare to actually fracture a crank this way, and the left crank arms are much more prone to loosening up. That's why there's a plethora of single right crankarms on ebay...

Also true that loctite will hold them on if mangled, but this is less than optimal, for obvious reasons.

Pretty much everything with vintage bikes is less than optimal in some way or another, but if the square hole is mildly damaged I would argue that re-attaching with full recommended torque and Loctite may be an optimal approach to the repair.

I've seen enough split crankarms to consider that failure to be other than rare, though certain cranks including many made by Shimano seem particularly resistant to splitting as there is more metal surrounding the left arm's square hole. I worked at a place where one mechanic routinely re-tightened the crankarms on their rental fleet, and like clockwork a lot of them started splitting.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.