Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Carbon delamination

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Carbon delamination

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-17, 03:41 PM
triumph.1

Bikes: 12 Bianchi Oltre VDCM,11 Bianchi Cavaria, 13 Bianchi Cavaria,12 Bianchi infinito, couple vintage Bianchi's and a 1980 alan super record

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Carbon delamination

hi,

I am about five years into several sets of crap easton carbon clinchers and one set has finally started to delaminate around the rear brake track. Last season I had a small spot delam and warp the same rim and i trued the warp out about 90%. I rode the wheel without an issue up to the current date. I noticed after a long weekend of wisconsin hills the same rim delam has gone to a consistent line along the brake track. I don't have the wheels on at this point and won't ride them again on the road. My question is and not knowing the real answer myself is Can I likely get away with riding the wheel on gravel or flat trail where there is minimal braking? What would be the actual failure with a delaminated brake track? I am ordering up a new set of campy shamals and have enough wheels around to use, but hate the idea of tossing an expensive wheel when I used it for a year already. thanks in advance.
Old 08-31-17, 04:35 PM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4739 Post(s)
Liked 1,533 Times in 1,004 Posts
Missing something here.. you start off saying the wheels are 5 years old, and then are worried about whether new wheels will last 1 year?
Old 08-31-17, 04:44 PM
triumph.1

Bikes: 12 Bianchi Oltre VDCM,11 Bianchi Cavaria, 13 Bianchi Cavaria,12 Bianchi infinito, couple vintage Bianchi's and a 1980 alan super record

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
No, I said The wheels are 5 years old and I have used the wheel damaged for the last year. I want to know what the real risk is running the wheel on a slow moving gravel, flat trail bike as I don't want to bin it unnecessarily if I can get some more use out of it. I do not understand the make up of carbon or how it reacts to damage. I guess more than anything I am wondering if anyone has done what I am asking. I fully understand the risks but am trying to gain a bit more understanding of delamination.

Last edited by triumph.1; 08-31-17 at 04:52 PM.
Old 08-31-17, 04:44 PM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Quoted: 5793 Post(s)
Liked 2,594 Times in 1,437 Posts
Odds are that you can use them on gravel until they die. There's the risk that the flanges fail and the tire blows, but I think it's probably an acceptable risk, given that it's a rear wheel.

Of course you might end up walking home, so local use only makes sense.

I use a "safety method" if/when I'm concerned about rim flange failure. I pump tires about 20% higher, as a stress test, then bleed them to riding pressure. The hope is that the rim will fail before I leave home, or if not, last until I return.

So far that's worked out OK, but I don't know if it was pure luck or science, because the one rim I was most sure was ready to fail was finished off in a crash.

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

Just because I'm tired of arguing, doesn't mean you're right.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.
Old 08-31-17, 04:59 PM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Bikes: 2018 Rodriguez Custom Fixed Gear, 2017 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2015 Bianchi Pista, 2002 Fuji Robaix

Mentioned: 235 Post(s)
Quoted: 6844 Post(s)
Liked 736 Times in 469 Posts
Slow or not, braking or otherwise, gravel is not going to be easier on components than is pavement.
Old 08-31-17, 05:18 PM
triumph.1

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by FBinNY
Odds are that you can use them on gravel until they die. There's the risk that the flanges fail and the tire blows, but I think it's probably an acceptable risk, given that it's a rear wheel.

Of course you might end up walking home, so local use only makes sense.

I use a "safety method" if/when I'm concerned about rim flange failure. I pump tires about 20% higher, as a stress test, then bleed them to riding pressure. The hope is that the rim will fail before I leave home, or if not, last until I return.

So far that's worked out OK, but I don't know if it was pure luck or science, because the one rim I was most sure was ready to fail was finished off in a crash.
Thats info I can use. I think of all the people that I have seen on forums and discussions preach you will basically die if you use damaged carbon, but I always wonder if the truth of the matter is much much less likely to end terribly than to just have the rim break or crack at a certain point and end the ride not my life, especially given that I have ridden it in fairly risky situations w/o issue for a year. I just look at it now and realize it is probably getting to a point downhill runs and fast group riding is not an option. Thanks FBinNY I like realistic answers.
Old 08-31-17, 05:19 PM
triumph.1

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by TimothyH
Slow or not, braking or otherwise, gravel is not going to be easier on components than is pavement.
I know this, but does not answer my curiosity............
Old 08-31-17, 05:44 PM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Bikes: 2018 Rodriguez Custom Fixed Gear, 2017 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2015 Bianchi Pista, 2002 Fuji Robaix

Mentioned: 235 Post(s)
Quoted: 6844 Post(s)
Liked 736 Times in 469 Posts
I tend to take people literally. Two questions were asked:
Can I likely get away with riding the wheel on gravel or flat trail where there is minimal braking?

What would be the actual failure with a delaminated brake track?

Sorry If I was not clear. My post was in response to the first question.

I don't think braking will have as much to do with failure as will impact forces on rougher unpaved surfaces, especially with something already compromised.

-Tim-
Old 08-31-17, 05:52 PM
Dan Burkhart 

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 943 Post(s)
Liked 659 Times in 372 Posts
Originally Posted by triumph.1
hi,

I am about five years into several sets of crap easton carbon clinchers and one set has finally started to delaminate around the rear brake track. Last season I had a small spot delam and warp the same rim and i trued the warp out about 90%. I rode the wheel without an issue up to the current date. I noticed after a long weekend of wisconsin hills the same rim delam has gone to a consistent line along the brake track. I don't have the wheels on at this point and won't ride them again on the road. My question is and not knowing the real answer myself is Can I likely get away with riding the wheel on gravel or flat trail where there is minimal braking? What would be the actual failure with a delaminated brake track? I am ordering up a new set of campy shamals and have enough wheels around to use, but hate the idea of tossing an expensive wheel when I used it for a year already. thanks in advance.
You made no mention that you are using brake pads intended for carbon rims. Regular pads for use with alloy rims will destroy carbon rims.
Just last week, a guy brought in his year old BMC complaining that his front rim was delaminating. Well yeah, lookit here. When did you put these brake pads in?
The rim was toast, he thought it should be warranty. No chance.
Old 08-31-17, 06:10 PM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Quoted: 5793 Post(s)
Liked 2,594 Times in 1,437 Posts
IMO gravel biking may be the perfect use for a rim on it's last legs, either CF or aluminum.

The fact that it may be harder on the wheel is a plus, because it accelerates the process and brings it to conclusion sooner.

Product life isn't always black and white. Many items, including tires and wheels often have a "not good enough for serious use, but too good to trash" phase. You have a choice of pushing it and continuing to ride them on long rides, or putting them aside for "emergencies" and accumulating ever more of stuff in this category.

Or, like the OP, you can look for an application where they can serve, saving you from beating up prime stuff that's probably too good to be killed off this way.

By way of analogy, I always had 8 wheels for my car, 4 with snow tires, and 4 with highway tires. After 2 winters the snows would be too worn to be useful for a third winter, so I'd leave them on come spring hoping to wear them out. However, if I was planning a long trip where the performance penalty of the snows would be significant, I'd switch to the better tires, then switch back for local driving. The objective was to get as many miles out of my dead snows before November, when I'd have to toss them and mount 4 new snows.

Likewise with the OP, using the dying CF wheels on gravel, gets him value (in sparing better wheels) as long as they last, and when it's time he can discard them and make room for something new. OTOH - if he's planning a longer gravel ride, he can switch to a more reliable pair of wheels, then switch back later.

BITD (wa-a-a-a-a-y back) before cyclocross came into it's own, we used to save all kinds of dubious stuff - bent forks, warped wheels, cut and booted tires, and god knows what other "gee, maybe I'll find a use for this" junk we'd put aside during the season and race cyclocross in the Fall giving our favorite stuff a chance for death with dignity. Currently, I don' own a gravel bike, but if there were gravel roads near here I know exactly what I'd build one out of.

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

Just because I'm tired of arguing, doesn't mean you're right.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.

Last edited by FBinNY; 08-31-17 at 06:18 PM.