Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

What do you think of the Concept2 Bikeerg for indoor cycling?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-19, 10:18 PM
jlvs2run
septuagenarian

Bikes: Concept2 BikeErg

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

If anyone here has used a Concept2 Bikeerg, please let me know what you think of it.
I won't be riding outside anymore, and might be interested to get one for training and exercise.
Currently I have an old touring bike on a noisy wind trainer with a Cateye cyclometer to back wheel.
Old 07-26-19, 10:36 PM
Leisesturm

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2497 Post(s)
Liked 740 Times in 523 Posts
Define "noisy". I have a Concept 2 rowing ergometer and "noisy" is exactly the word I would use to describe it. I wasn't expecting it to be quiet, however. Anything that uses a fan to generate resistance is going to make a fair amount of noise as a byproduct. From my experience with the rower I would expect the stationary bike to be extremely well made and the PM5 electronics offer a variety of ways to make a workout session interesting and fun.
Likes For Leisesturm:
Old 07-27-19, 12:47 PM
Psychopasta

Bikes: Canyon Endurace, Felt E-Bike

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I'm a great fan of the Concept2 rower and SkiErg, but I think the BikeErg is a brand extension too far. You really want computer control these days to give you the best indoor training experience. In a world where Zwift, TrainerRoad etc didn't exist the BikeErg would be fine, but the inability to have an external controller set the power requirement is too big a miss for me. YMMV.
Old 07-27-19, 06:24 PM
jlvs2run
septuagenarian

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Those are good points about noise and programs. The wind trainer is loud, and the only readings I use are cadence and speed. The cyclometer doesn't time intervals, have any memory or show heart rate. I keep the back tire inflated to have a consistent fan pressure. Everything is quite basic and old.

From what I've seen in videos, the Bikeerg would be more stable, perhaps easier to get on and off of, have considerably less noise (but still a noticeable amount), and a much better display that would hopefully provide motivation to do more. I'm familiar with the issue going from seated to standing and am not concerned with it.

The Stac Zero Halcyon is another possibility, which only has noise from the drive train. However, I would need to have a smart phone to use it and I've never used one before. Currently that technology and usefulness is beyond me, so there would be a steep learning curve for me to get used to using one.

Regarding Zwift and TrainerRoad, I have always preferred to just focus 100 percent on my exercise, and to not have to use anything else extraneously. If there was some benefit and I could eventually learn how to use them then maybe I would. I think they do work with the Bikeerg. However, I don't even know what they are, so I'm not concerned about using them.

I've not used my current wind trainer that much recently, only periodically for 10 to 30 minutes at a time. However, a quieter, smoother machine with a much better monitor could help quite a bit. I'm somewhat counting on that, as I definitely want to have more options for exercise. Additional comments are much appreciated. Thanks
Old 07-27-19, 08:16 PM
Machka 
In Real Life

Bikes: Lots

Mentioned: 141 Post(s)
Quoted: 3203 Post(s)
Liked 596 Times in 329 Posts
And here I'm wishing that Zwift would do a rowing option!!

I have a Concept2 Rower and like it. And I use the Erg program to connect it to Strava. But I'd love it if I could row down the Thames beside the cyclists ...

As for cycling, we've got fluid trainers which are quite good ... smooth and reasonably quiet. And they're hooked up to Zwift. No desire for BikeErg.
Old 07-27-19, 08:44 PM
jlvs2run
septuagenarian

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Thanks for your comment.
I considered fluid trainers, but they change resistance when warmed up, and from what I've seen of them, they're way too noisy for me, plus the need to use a smart phone. If I went that route then I'd be more interested in the Stac Zero which keeps an even resistance and is quiet.

Last edited by jlvs2run; 07-27-19 at 08:53 PM.
Old 07-27-19, 08:55 PM
Ironfish653
Dirty Heathen

Bikes: 1997 Cannondale, 1976 Bridgestone, 1998 SoftRide, 1989 Klein, 1989 Black Lightning #0033

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 889 Post(s)
Liked 906 Times in 534 Posts
It depends on whether you're looking for something more like a spin bike, or a cycling trainer / simulator.

If all your training is based on HR / Cadence / Intervals, then the C2 would be perfect for that. I've been getting my butt kicked by various Concept2 products for 30 years, all the way back the the Model-B. C2's engineering is top-notch, the machines are bullet-proof and well-supported. The PM5 computer looks really simple, but have some really sophisticated data collection abilities, and the C2 community is really great for helping you get 'dialed in' on your machine.

Zwift-powered 'Smart Trainers' are really more like 'Cycling Simulators' where it varies the 'terrain' , and since you've got a whole bike's driveline, you change gears, vary your cadence, as you would on an actual bike on a real road.
They also tend to work better with more modern bikes, and depending on what kinds of data you're trying to capture about your ride, you may have to have on-bike sensors, (especially with basic trainers)

By contrast, a BikeErg is all-in-one, it doesn't need a phone, or monitor for data capture or control, although you can add things on to it, if you want.

As far as noise, the BikeErg is going to be louder than a magnetic trainer, but they're pretty quiet for a 'fan' trainer. C2 has been at this for a long time, and the Model-D/E fans are pretty quiet, especially at steady-state, like the BikeErg sees. The rowers do a lot of accelerating, which is what gets them noisy.
Likes For Ironfish653:
Old 07-27-19, 09:14 PM
jlvs2run
septuagenarian

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Ironfish, thank you very much for your detailed comments.

This is all a lot more clear to me now.