Search
Notices
Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg) Looking to lose that spare tire? Ideal weight 200+? Frustrated being a large cyclist in a sport geared for the ultra-light? Learn about the bikes and parts that can take the abuse of a heavier cyclist, how to keep your body going while losing the weight, and get support from others who've been successful.

Quiet Lately

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-13, 11:36 AM
Mr. Beanz
Banned.

Bikes: Lemond Chambery/Cannondale R-900/Trek 8000 MTB/Burley Duet tandem

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Quiet Lately

Haven't been posting as much, another member asked in a PM is everything is ok. Well, we did go to AZ for 2 weekends and that knocked ot any riding, passengers and no bike space. Daughter had a c section so we stayed up there to help her out a bit, hubby travels.

We got back I went for a short ride but that was it. Figured we'd have a couple of good long rides this past weekend but Gina got bad news. SHe has 2 sons, one is 31 and has been on dialysis since he was 17. She donated the kidney but it only lasted a year then failed agin so back he went.

Her yonger son was 13 at the time and scared that he mght get sick too. Docs said don't worry so Gina told him it wouldn't happen.

Couple years later the kid is getting constant headaches so Gina takes him in and it's his BP. Concerned Gina asked them to check his kidneys adnthey do. Only ot find out he was born with one kidney. It's horse shoe shaped, damaged and heading downhill. Meds slow the deterioration but it's coming sooner or later.

Now at 26 it's over for is kidneys. When we returned from AZ, he told Gina he was scheduled for surgery to install the catheter. So she took him to the op last week and she's really bummed since she has no kidney to offer her second son who is now gettig ready to do dialysis when the wounds form the surgery heal.

Plus been busy at work adn not sure if I'l have to be doing weekends soon. So if I don't sign up for any rides, that's is why.

Oh yeah, and I bought a new guitar last night. So if I can't be Lance, maybe I'll be Eric Clapton instead.

Telecaster by gulpxtreme, on Flickr
Old 04-02-13, 11:43 AM
Beachgrad05
Just Keep Pedaling

Bikes: 99 Schwinn Mesa GS MTB, 15 Trek Domane 5.9 Dura-Ace, 17 Trek Emonda SL6 Pro & 18 Bianchi Vigorelli

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 251 Post(s)
Liked 67 Times in 34 Posts
Wow...Beanz...sorry to hear the bad news about Gina's other son. Will be sending whatever positive mojo I can. I'm on the "be the match" donor registry so hope that there is someone out there that is a match for him
Old 04-02-13, 03:11 PM
tunavic

Bikes: '12 BMC Road Racer, Pinarello KOBH

Mentioned: 75 Post(s)
Quoted: 181 Post(s)
Liked 21 Times in 15 Posts
Sad news to hear Beanz. My prayers and positive thoughts are with you, Gina and your families.

Now that you've got the guitar does that mean you'll be posting your songwriting ala pcad on the addiction thread in the 41?
Old 04-02-13, 03:23 PM
Mr. Beanz
Banned.

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Thanks people, no guitar stuff yet.
Old 04-02-13, 04:34 PM
Fangowolf

Bikes: 2012 Surly LHT / Motobecane Fhantom CX 105 / Giant Cypress ST / EZ Sport AX / Trisled Touring Trike

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Sorry to hear that Beanz.
For the guitar check out Rocksmith, xbox, playstation or PC
https://rocksmith.ubi.com/rocksmith/e...ome/index.aspx
Old 04-02-13, 05:26 PM
TrojanHorse
SuperGimp

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 147 Post(s)
Quoted: 1107 Post(s)
Liked 64 Times in 47 Posts
That guitar is ..... glittery.

Sorry about Gina's sons... I'm sure that's tough on all 3 of them.

GMR. April 20. Personal invite, be there.
Old 04-02-13, 08:17 PM
GeoBigJon

Bikes: Specialized Sirrus Elite Disc, Specialized Roubaix Expert

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Sorry to hear about Gina's kids. Grats on the guitar, it's a looker.
Old 04-02-13, 09:27 PM
PhotoJoe 
Just Plain Slow

Bikes: Lynskey R230

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 297 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by GeoBigJon
Sorry to hear about Gina's kids. Grats on the guitar, it's a looker.
Dysliexia kicked in again. What I read was:

Sorry to hear about the guitar. Grats on Gina. She's a looker.
Old 04-03-13, 08:56 AM
psalm
A square going nowhere

Bikes: CAAD 8 & CAAD 10

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Sorry to hear that Beanz, I wish you the best.

Nice Fender by the way. If you can't ride GMR, come to the start and put on a concert.
Old 04-03-13, 10:25 AM
Chitown_Mike
That guy from the Chi

Bikes: 88 Trek 800 - gone to new cheeks; '14 Trek 1.2 - aka The X1 Advanced; '13 Trek 3500 Disc

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Beanz, man that is hard. I am only 29 and have a 7 month old but can't imagine what Gina is going through as a parent, the thought itself alone makes me emotional. I'll keep you, Gina and her sons in my prayers.
Old 04-03-13, 11:20 AM
bassjones

Bikes: Cannondale CAAD9-4

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Man, that sucks. I'll keep them in my prayers. You can't be Clapton and play a Tele. You need a strat.
Old 04-03-13, 11:33 AM
melvinator

Bikes: 2012 Marin Larkspur CS Series.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
wow beanz... as everyone said we are sorry for the news and only hope for the best....
Old 04-03-13, 12:27 PM
Mr. Beanz
Banned.

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Chitown_Mike
Beanz, man that is hard. I am only 29 and have a 7 month old but can't imagine what Gina is going through as a parent, the thought itself alone makes me emotional. I'll keep you, Gina and her sons in my prayers.
Thanks man, you are too kind!

Thanks for the good words and prayers people.

Funny Psalm, just don't be surprised if I show up with my guitar.
Old 04-03-13, 01:15 PM
TrojanHorse
SuperGimp

If you can use two cameras at the same time while riding up hill you can certainly play the guitar while riding up hill, and I think the rest of us would appreciate the soundtrack.
Old 04-03-13, 01:44 PM
Mr. Beanz
Banned.

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by TrojanHorse
If you can use two cameras at the same time while riding up hill you can certainly play the guitar while riding up hill, and I think the rest of us would appreciate the soundtrack.
Don't tempt me!
Old 04-03-13, 06:34 PM
phread59

Bikes: Old Fuji road,Cirrus Sport

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I am truly saddened by Gina's problems. I wish you, her and you're sons the best. I pray all will be well for you guys.

As for the Telly I call SACRILAGE!!!!!! A Telecaster with humbuckers, Beans I am severely disappointed with you! A pair of Texas Specials and a 5 way switch. That's the ticket! Seriously I hope you like it. I had a Telly a long time ago. Like a dummy I got rid of it. It played quite well. I'm left with the Les Paul and Jazz. Hands so hacked up from twisting wrenches I can't even play anymore. I hope it gives you years of happiness.

Mark Shuman
Old 04-03-13, 11:33 PM
Mr. Beanz
Banned.

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by PhotoJoe
Sorry to hear about the guitar. Grats on Gina. She's a looker.
Well, I'd rather the boyz look at her than at me.
Old 04-03-13, 11:35 PM
Mr. Beanz
Banned.

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by phread59
I am truly saddened by Gina's problems. I wish you, her and you're sons the best. I pray all will be well for you guys.

As for the Telly I call SACRILAGE!!!!!! A Telecaster with humbuckers, Beans I am severely disappointed with you! A pair of Texas Specials and a 5 way switch. That's the ticket! Seriously I hope you like it. I had a Telly a long time ago. Like a dummy I got rid of it. It played quite well. I'm left with the Les Paul and Jazz. Hands so hacked up from twisting wrenches I can't even play anymore. I hope it gives you years of happiness.

Mark Shuman
Thanks man!

As far as the guitar, they all sound good to me. The Hummers are an upgrade from what I have so it's all good. I did view a video of a strat with Texas specials, sounds cool!
Old 04-03-13, 11:36 PM
Mr. Beanz
Banned.

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by bassjones
Man, that sucks. I'll keep them in my prayers. You can't be Clapton and play a Tele. You need a strat.
Thanks! Funny I thought about that when I posted but didn't think anybody would pick up on it. I guess there are more guitar players here than I thought.
Old 04-04-13, 06:40 AM
Wooden Tiger

Bikes: 2012 Cannondale Flash Alloy 2 (mountain bike), 2010 Schwinn Paramount Series 7 (road bike)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Mr. Beanz
Haven't been posting as much, another member asked in a PM is everything is ok. Well, we did go to AZ for 2 weekends and that knocked ot any riding, passengers and no bike space. Daughter had a c section so we stayed up there to help her out a bit, hubby travels.

We got back I went for a short ride but that was it. Figured we'd have a couple of good long rides this past weekend but Gina got bad news. SHe has 2 sons, one is 31 and has been on dialysis since he was 17. She donated the kidney but it only lasted a year then failed agin so back he went.

Her yonger son was 13 at the time and scared that he mght get sick too. Docs said don't worry so Gina told him it wouldn't happen.

Couple years later the kid is getting constant headaches so Gina takes him in and it's his BP. Concerned Gina asked them to check his kidneys adnthey do. Only ot find out he was born with one kidney. It's horse shoe shaped, damaged and heading downhill. Meds slow the deterioration but it's coming sooner or later.

Now at 26 it's over for is kidneys. When we returned from AZ, he told Gina he was scheduled for surgery to install the catheter. So she took him to the op last week and she's really bummed since she has no kidney to offer her second son who is now gettig ready to do dialysis when the wounds form the surgery heal.

Plus been busy at work adn not sure if I'l have to be doing weekends soon. So if I don't sign up for any rides, that's is why.

Oh yeah, and I bought a new guitar last night. So if I can't be Lance, maybe I'll be Eric Clapton instead.

Telecaster by gulpxtreme, on Flickr
Tough break for both of Gina's children, Mr. B. Hope everything turns out for the best and the surgery's a success. I can only imagine being in her position where she's unable to help her second son.

BTW, nice guitar. I have a '94 Tele Plus, amongst many other guitars (and partial guitars...). If you're into building custom guitars, look into Warmoth. They offer Tele bodies and every imaginable option out there from flame/quilted maple to any wood, pickup combo, etc. you could possibly think of. I built a Warmoth "Star" a few years back and it's the best playing guitar I've ever played. I've played everything from a $150 Squire Bullet to a $10,000 PRS Dragon. While Warmoth customs aren't cheap, they are AWESOME guitars. Since it's custom, if you don't like the guitar you built, it's your own fault. I'll post some pics of my collection later, I'm on an iPad right now.

...As for being Eric Clapton, there can be only one, and you're not him. First, you would have had to purchase a Strat, not a Tele, so you got it wrong right off the get-go. Instead, you could be Keith Richards, Bruce Springsteen, Jimmy Page, David Gilmour, or Prince.

Last edited by Wooden Tiger; 04-04-13 at 06:43 AM.
Old 04-04-13, 07:44 AM
Wooden Tiger

Bikes: 2012 Cannondale Flash Alloy 2 (mountain bike), 2010 Schwinn Paramount Series 7 (road bike)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Okay, got myself to a computer.

Old 04-04-13, 09:30 AM
Mr. Beanz
Banned.

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Wow, nice collection! I also have a Peave cheapo strat wannabe. Looks similar, same paint color as the blue one right above. It's cheap but man the little sucker is a pretty darn good lil guitar.
Old 04-04-13, 10:25 AM
Beachgrad05
Just Keep Pedaling

Bikes: 99 Schwinn Mesa GS MTB, 15 Trek Domane 5.9 Dura-Ace, 17 Trek Emonda SL6 Pro & 18 Bianchi Vigorelli

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 251 Post(s)
Liked 67 Times in 34 Posts
Originally Posted by Wooden Tiger
Okay, got myself to a computer.

So....N+1 applies to guitars too....
Old 04-04-13, 10:42 AM
Wooden Tiger

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Mr. Beanz
Wow, nice collection! I also have a Peave cheapo strat wannabe. Looks similar, same paint color as the blue one right above. It's cheap but man the little sucker is a pretty darn good lil guitar.
Thanks! From the photo of the Tele you can't really see the grain of the wood but the paint is a transparent. It's a slight "burst" that goes from a medium blue to sort of an "aqua green." I wish I had a camera that would capture the true color of that guitar. The color is actually what sold me on it. I bought it new in 1994 and it's seen quite a bit of playing time, yet it still looks brand new. If it were hanging on a wall at a guitar store it would pass for being brand new.

As for the "collection," a few of them kind of fell upon me. My wife got me a Martin "Backpacker" travel guitar last Xmas, in 2010 she got me my Squire Affinity Bass (gig pack with amp), and for my 25th birthday she got me the Epiphone Shadow Six acoustic cutaway. I inherited an Alvarez acoustic from my SIL and "pieces" of an Ibanez Star Destroyer from a buddy of mine. The Star Destroyer is pretty much beyond any sort of help as he "destroyed the Destroyer," so to speak. It started its life as a hardtail and he decided to "modify" it to accept a tremolo. He did less than succeed.

My first "real" guitar was the fuschia B.C. Rich Mockingbird NJ Series. I bought it used when I was around 14 or 15 years old. It's a Japanese model and at the time the Japanese models were probably the equivalent to a China-made model today, which is, to say the least, probably not the best.

I wound up with the black Jackson Warrior (made in Indonesia) when I traded in an old Ibanez EX180 my ex left at my parents' house 15+ years ago. It was a wreck and I got rid of a cheap, unplayable guitar for a cheap, playable guitar.

I wound up with the 2003 Jackson USA King V 2 when I found it for $999 at a close-out sale for a local music store. I figured I could turn around and flip it for at least $1,700 but the market tanked and I kinda got stuck with it. I'm really not a fan of Vs but this one won me over a bit. It's still for sale but not officially on the market. I really love the neck moreso than the "V" style. I guess there are worse things to get stuck with than an American-made Jackson in pristine condition.

I purchased the Taylor 414ce in August as it was just time for an upgraded acoustic. The Epiphone has been showing its age and the electronics don't work, the frets are buzzy, etc. I just don't believe it's worth all the work involved to bring it back to its former glory, but it's a nice campfire guitar.

As for the Warmoth Star, I wound up with that after looking into the price of a B.C. Rich Warlock Custom Shop model. It was a rude awakening to find it was going to cost me $5,400. That just wasn't going to happen and I looked elsewhere for where I could get a reasonably priced custom guitar. Carvin makes excellent models but I wasn't considering them at the time. I remembered Warmoth from an ad in "Guitar Magazine" years ago and they still happened to be around. I did some research, liked what I read, crossed my fingers, and pulled the trigger on a custom body and neck. The rest is history with that guitar. It's a fantastic guitar and while there may be others that look like it but that's where similarities end. I personally chose the types of woods used, what types of frets were used, inlays, the headstock, electronics, pickups, etc. The only things I wish I'd gotten were 24 frets instead of 22 and active pickups.

Given the Warmoth was a custom, while expensive, the price was reasonable. I paid around $500 for the body and probably around $500 for the neck. The electronics (including pickups, pots, trim) probably ran me around $200. Then, I had to get it set up and the electronics installed. That was done by Neal Moser in California, who is the original designer of the B.C. Rich Bich. He did a phenomenal job (of course...). Getting the electronics installed and the setup ran me around $200, and then I had to get a custom case, which was built by G&G for around $300. I wanna say the entire project ran me about $2,000-$2,200.

What's nice about Warmoth is that if you're a Fender guy, you'll be very pleased. All Warmoth's guitars are made to Fender specs as far as the bolt-on neck, neck pockets, etc. While that guitar looks wild, it sounds very "Strat-ish." Don't get me wrong, it'll ride the lightning and belt out the Metal, which was what I actually had it built for (a hot-rodded, one-trick pony...). Ironically, the guitar turned out to be very versatile in its sound. The best way to describe it is that it looks like a B.C. Rich or Jackson, plays like an Ibanez, and feels like a Fender.
Old 04-04-13, 11:17 AM
TrojanHorse
SuperGimp

This is a very interesting thread tangent considering the title was "Quiet Lately"

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.