Search
Notices
Recreational & Family Ride just to ride? Have a family and want to get them into cycling? Drop in here to discuss recreational and family cycling issues.

bike transport

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-17, 04:03 PM
jack pot 
Fxxxxr

Bikes: wabi classic (stolen & recovered)

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2672 Post(s)
Liked 1,151 Times in 872 Posts
bike transport

i travel a lot and generally take a bicycle ... my vehicle has app 185K mls and is beginning to cost me $$ each month for non engine repairs ... i am considering a new 2016 subaru outback @ app $27k and a used 2015 toyota venza w 14k mls @ app $20k ... i currently ride a 55 fixed and carry it inside the vehicle ... it will fit in either of these vehicles... i drive app 25k mls a year ... i would like to know any NEGATIVES that anyone has experienced with either of these vehicles ... I HOPE THIS Q IS appropriate for this thread
Old 01-08-17, 04:22 PM
Steve B.

Bikes: Flyxii FR322, Cannondale Topstone, Miyata City Liner, Specialized Chisel, Specialized Epic Evo

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 3243 Post(s)
Liked 2,091 Times in 1,183 Posts
Good luck finding a '16 and if you do I'd bargain that price down for any version of Premium.

Both come in 4 and 6 cylinder engines and in the 4 bangers the Outback gets much better gas mileage (32 vs, 26 EPA HWY.) when compared to the AWD Venza and has a superior AWD system, if that matters. Interior size is about the same.

Toyota generally has better reliability, but that's vehicle dependent. The Subaru boxer engines are funky, the CVT is not for everyone.

So far I'm loving everything about my '17 Outback, acceleration is fine for me out of the 2.5. It's also a very refined vehicle. I hated the look of the OB roof rails till I discovered they hold a recessed and integrated cross-bar system. If a full length 50" roof rail isn't needed, this narrower system is a nice touch and I'm finding the OB is full of such features.

Subaru is offering 0% loans to 48 mos., .9% out to 60 mos. thru 1/31. If you have a current Subaru, they have a guaranteed trade program, which gave me Kelly trade value.

Last edited by Steve B.; 01-08-17 at 04:27 PM.
Old 01-09-17, 02:55 PM
trestlehed

Bikes: Santa Cruz Heckler, EZ Sport AX, Lightfoot Rambler, Electra Townie 24D "The Holy Grail of Beach Cruisers"

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Members of IMBA - (International Mountain Biking Association) get a discount deal with Subaru.
You might want to check it out, you could potentially save a lot of $.
Old 01-11-17, 06:16 PM
RonH
Life is good

Bikes: 2018 Lynskey Helix Pro

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 522 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 10 Posts
You'll probably get more replies in the General Cycling Discussion forum.

I am a cyclist. I am not the fastest or the fittest. But I will get to where I'm going with a smile on my face.
Old 01-15-17, 06:06 AM
bulldog1935
Banned.

Bikes: '74 Raleigh International utility; '98 Moser Forma road; '92 Viner Pro CX upright

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Quoted: 939 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
My buddy recently bought the GMC small pickup with the Italian turbodiesel and 7sp automatic.
It's a roomy 4-dr with a small but usable bed, and he gets 32 mpg in town.

Not his truck, but mine and a great way to haul bikes - Softride tailgate pad.

Old 01-26-17, 01:32 PM
aERonAUtical96

Bikes: Kestrel Talon, Felt Verza Speed 20

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My wife and I bought an outback back in 2010. I absolutely love it. Has been a great vehicle for us. I drive a Jeep Wrangler as my DD, but would switch to the outback in a flash. The new Outbacks are even better, IMO. We had little quirks with the first year of this generation of Outbacks (i.e. power rear, rear seat A/C vents, location of seat heater buttons, etc). All of those have been addressed. I've never had a problem with the CVT. I have the 4cyl and find it has enough power. Gas mileage is around 28 hwy, not the 32 they claim. If it wasn't for the fact that it is paid for and I'm still paying for my Jeep, I would buy a new one. I'm sold on Subies and will have one in our family from here on out.
Old 05-31-17, 08:17 PM
pkluong

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I second the truck. you can get a chevy colorado for like $25k new or a little more. Outback is great and its AWD, venza has more space but eats more gas.
Old 05-31-17, 08:25 PM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18382 Post(s)
Liked 4,515 Times in 3,355 Posts
Not quite the Subaru,

But I enjoy my Bike Friday Pocket Rocket for those occasional trips that need a bike, but aren't on a bike. Folds up and fits inside of a suitcase, rather than taking up half the backend of a regular vehicle. It can even tow its suitcase if necessary. And potentially cheaper if you travel on public transportation.
Old 06-05-17, 08:26 AM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5224 Post(s)
Liked 3,585 Times in 2,344 Posts
Originally Posted by jack pot
i travel a lot and generally take a bicycle ... my vehicle has app 185K mls and is beginning to cost me $$ each month for non engine repairs ... i am considering a new 2016 subaru outback @ app $27k and a used 2015 toyota venza w 14k mls @ app $20k ... i currently ride a 55 fixed and carry it inside the vehicle ... it will fit in either of these vehicles... i drive app 25k mls a year ... i would like to know any NEGATIVES that anyone has experienced with either of these vehicles ... I HOPE THIS Q IS appropriate for this thread
bring your test drive car home & put your bike in it. go grocery shopping. pick your kids up from school. run errands, etc. actually TEST DRIVE the car