Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Moots vs Trek vs Lynskey

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Moots vs Trek vs Lynskey

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-18, 10:47 PM
Boerd

Bikes: Moots Vamoots RSL 2018, Passoni Titanio 2020

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 111 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by kydeadhead
One thing in Lynskey's favor to keep in mind is that they got into bike building through ti fabrication, not the other way around. They are often put into the "second tier" here on BF, due probably to pricing and some of their sales techniques mostly, but they have more ti welding experience than most. As for the rusted bolts on the stem, while they probably don't have the legal department of Trek or Specialized, they probably do have enough lawyers to advise them not to change parts on a suppliers part, especially one where failure could cause serious injury.
Yes - you are correct. However, they should be more careful and offer better packages - even if they have to ask 100-200$ more. In my case - I would have paid IF they told me the bolts are not stainless. I'd say - ok, give me the next up, fine.
Price wise and frame wise they are second to none. I like my bike and I am a bit worried that I may get something that doesn't ride as well as my Helix... TBH I am second guessing myself.
Part of me tells me to be realistic and just change the stem. Maybe get new wheels. Part of me looks at Moots and wonders if it's worth the price they ask.
Old 05-24-18, 11:21 AM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10964 Post(s)
Liked 7,491 Times in 4,189 Posts
Originally Posted by Boerd
How important is a 1 1/2 fork? I like the feel of the Lynskey fork. The Trek Madone also has a 1 1/2 fork. Moots only offers 1 1/4 tapered to 1 1/8.
Any other things I should be aware of?
Not at all important.
its a road bike not a mountain bike- you dont need and dont benefit from a comically fat head tube and steerer.

a tapered head tube and steerer is stiffer than a straight one. This is sold as increased feedback...which really just means you feel more. Its also sold as allowing you to corner faster/harder.
that doesn't apply to 96% of cyclists.

all most people get when they have a crazy wide steerer and head tube is an extremely stiff front end.
Sweet- all the recent effort to make road cycling more comfortable(geonetry, tire width, gimmicky vibtmration and shock absorption points) and some of its done because the font end is overly stiff and unnecessarily jarring.

-end rant-

now with all that said...a tapered steerer is best for a carbon fork as the smoother transition from fork blade to steerer makes a stronger abd nore consistent fork.
1 1/4 to 1 1/8 is perfectly fine. Its a road bike thats already super stiff.
Old 05-24-18, 11:41 AM
Boerd

I got a quote from Moots - pricey!!! And I had alloy wheels (Rolf Alpha stealth) and such - while very good definitely not the priciest...
Now I am talking with Lynskey about a custom build. Let's see. I asked for some details on the frame to my liking + engraved badge rather than the standard one etc.
If I am to go for it I might as well go for broke (and broke I will be ).
If I can't afford it or I don't think it's worth it at the end, so be it, I still have a decent bike.
Old 05-24-18, 12:05 PM
Marcus_Ti
FLIR Kitten to 0.05C

Bikes: Roadie: Seven Axiom Race Ti w/Chorus 11s. CX/Adventure: Carver Gravel Grinder w/ Di2

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 2349 Post(s)
Liked 406 Times in 254 Posts
I got a quote from Moots - pricey!!! And I had alloy wheels (Rolf Alpha stealth) and such - while very good definitely not the priciest...
Now I am talking with Lynskey about a custom build. Let's see. I asked for some details on the frame to my liking + engraved badge rather than the standard one etc.
If I can't afford it or I don't think it's worth it at the end, so be it, I still have a decent bike.
Yea...base frame cost for Lynskey or Seven or Indy fab is around $4500 or frameset....plus components. Lynskey, depending on sales starts around $1800-$2500 for frameset+parts.

My Carver was built with Di2 for the cost of my Seven frameset. Both do their own things great and put a dumb grin on my face.
Old 05-24-18, 09:54 PM
Shuffleman

Bikes: Colnago CLX,GT Karakoram,Giant Revel, Kona Honk_ Tonk

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 149 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Marcus_Ti
Yea...base frame cost for Lynskey or Seven or Indy fab is around $4500 or frameset....plus components. Lynskey, depending on sales starts around $1800-$2500 for frameset+parts.

My Carver was built with Di2 for the cost of my Seven frameset. Both do their own things great and put a dumb grin on my face.
Moots and Seven would always get my vote. They are very classy looking rides.
Old 05-25-18, 06:14 AM
Campag4life
Voice of the Industry

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1188 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by Shuffleman

Just like most would prefer a Porsche to a Ford. No way Moots or Seven is worth twice the cost of Lynskey. In a blind test, a rider likely couldn't tell the difference.
Aesthetically, a tarted up Lynskey looks great.
Old 05-25-18, 06:29 AM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4736 Post(s)
Liked 1,533 Times in 1,004 Posts
Not sure if you'd have any interest in building up your own.. but came across the Kona Esatto Ti frameset -- nice looking IMO and good sale price; and built by Lynskey (to Kona's specs I assume)
2017 ESATTO TI FRAME
Old 05-25-18, 06:35 AM
gettingold

Bikes: 2018 Lynskey R 260 Disc; 2008 Trek 4.7 Madone; 2017 Framed Minnesota 3.0 Fat Bike; 1984 Nishiki International

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Shuffleman

If money were no object I'd agree, and I'd also be driving an Aston Martin.
Old 05-25-18, 07:41 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18420 Post(s)
Liked 15,564 Times in 7,333 Posts
Originally Posted by profjmb
Mosaic Ti bikes have been scientifically proven to be the best looking of all bikes:

https://www.mosaiccycles.com/rt-1-new
Purdy, but that saddle looks painful.

OP: If you are not in a rush and want custom ti built in the U.S.: Engin
Old 05-25-18, 07:45 AM
pvillemasher

Bikes: 1989 Trek 400, 2000 Lemond Buenos Aires, 2013 GT Attack, 2017 Lynskey R250

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 126 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts
I had a much bigger initial budget when I went shopping for a new bike last year, focusing on Ti bikes, and I just couldn't find a reason to pay more than what I paid for my Lynskey. I ended up coming in at a little over 1/2 my budget.

I've been on rides where guys have Moots or other higher-end Ti bikes and I compare them to my Lynskey. I personally don't see much difference, but I suppose if I owned one of the higher end bikes I might. Whether or not that would be all in my mind I dunno. And then riding is another aspect, I've never ridden any of those other bikes so maybe they ride better.
Old 05-25-18, 09:55 AM
Boerd

Originally Posted by Sy Reene
Not sure if you'd have any interest in building up your own.. but came across the Kona Esatto Ti frameset -- nice looking IMO and good sale price; and built by Lynskey (to Kona's specs I assume)
2017 ESATTO TI FRAME
Beatiful!! That integrated headset is very nice!
Old 05-25-18, 10:44 AM
DiabloScott
It's MY mountain

Bikes: Klein, Merckx, Trek

Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Quoted: 4338 Post(s)
Liked 2,981 Times in 1,617 Posts
Originally Posted by Campag4life
No way Moots or Seven is worth twice the cost of Lynskey. .
Maybe not - here's how I'd evaluate. Pick a Moots and component group that you'd be happy with and meets your budget. Then go to Lynskey and see what you get for the same price.

Example:
Moots Vamoots with mechanical Ultegra: $6500
Lynskey Sportive with DA Di2: $6500
Now my decision is not whether to bust my budget, but whether to spend it on the frame or the group.

And again... Landshark full CUSTOM carbon fiber with Ultegra Di2: $7000, Ultegra mech $6000

Last edited by DiabloScott; 05-25-18 at 10:47 AM.
Old 05-25-18, 06:03 PM
kydeadhead

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by DiabloScott
Maybe not - here's how I'd evaluate. Pick a Moots and component group that you'd be happy with and meets your budget. Then go to Lynskey and see what you get for the same price.

Example:
Moots Vamoots with mechanical Ultegra: $6500
Lynskey Sportive with DA Di2: $6500
Now my decision is not whether to bust my budget, but whether to spend it on the frame or the group.

And again... Landshark full CUSTOM carbon fiber with Ultegra Di2: $7000, Ultegra mech $6000
That is a valid way to look at it, but if you're not buying anything custom,one thing that tips the scales towards Lynskey is that their stock bikes are nearly always on sale. It was a few years back and in January, but my wife's r255 with Force22 build was about 1/2 those numbers.
Old 05-25-18, 06:25 PM
Boerd

Originally Posted by kydeadhead

That is a valid way to look at it, but if you're not buying anything custom,one thing that tips the scales towards Lynskey is that their stock bikes are nearly always on sale. It was a few years back and in January, but my wife's r255 with Force22 build was about 1/2 those numbers.
That's how I got my bike +7k -> 4.4k. Helix Pro + Sram red 22 mechanical, Ti seatpost, CaneCreek 110, etc. And the frame is very good. Love it!
Old 05-26-18, 08:26 AM
Boerd

It seems Lynskey gets a good deal from Mavic so I was wondering about these 2 wheels
Mavic Ksyrium Pro Carbon SL T (https://shop.mavic.com/en-us/ksyrium...html#1028=3283)
Mavic Cosmic Pro Carbon SL T (https://shop.mavic.com/en-us/cosmic-...html#1028=3283)
I am more interested in the first as I climb more than I go on flats. Can these rims be used with clincher tires?
Old 05-26-18, 08:34 AM
Marcus_Ti
FLIR Kitten to 0.05C

Bikes: Roadie: Seven Axiom Race Ti w/Chorus 11s. CX/Adventure: Carver Gravel Grinder w/ Di2

It seems Lynskey gets a good deal from Mavic so I was wondering about these 2 wheels
Mavic Ksyrium Pro Carbon SL T (https://shop.mavic.com/en-us/ksyrium...html#1028=3283)
Mavic Cosmic Pro Carbon SL T (https://shop.mavic.com/en-us/cosmic-...html#1028=3283)
I am more interested in the first as I climb more than I go on flats. Can these rims be used with clincher tires?
Nope. Tubulars are always tubulars.
Old 05-26-18, 08:40 AM
Boerd

Nope. Tubulars are always tubulars.
These alloy rims (the Pro_ have in the specs pressure for both tubeless and with tubes, hinting they are clincher too
https://shop.mavic.com/en-us/ksyrium...html#1028=3283
Alas, they have Alu spokes... Can Alu spokes be trusted?
Old 05-26-18, 08:51 AM
Marcus_Ti
FLIR Kitten to 0.05C

These alloy rims (the Pro_ have in the specs pressure for both tubeless and with tubes, hinting they are clincher too
https://shop.mavic.com/en-us/ksyrium...html#1028=3283
Alas, they have Alu spokes... Can Alu spokes be trusted?
Those are clincher rims for use with either tubeless-clinchers or tubed-clinchers. Clinchers/tubeless-clinchers are one species...tubulars are another.

Note these are UST "standard" clinchers...the only people who make UST rims or tires are Mavic--and their UST tires are $80 each. You can use other tubeless clinchers ofc. Either way I wouldn't buy Mavic wheels. You look at the OED dictionary for "impossible to find and expensive replacement parts" you see the Mavic logo. If I were blowing $2,000 on some ginchy wheels I'd sped DT spokes, White Industries hubs, and some CF rims from somewhere.
Old 05-26-18, 08:54 AM
Boerd

Those are clincher rims for use with either tubeless-clinchers or tubed-clinchers. Clinchers/tubeless-clinchers are one species...tubulars are another.

Note these are UST "standard" clinchers...the only people who make UST rims or tires are Mavic--and their UST tires are $80 each. You can use other tubeless clinchers ofc. Either way I wouldn't buy Mavic wheels. You look at the OED dictionary for "impossible to find and expensive replacement parts" you see the Mavic logo. If I were blowing $2,000 on some ginchy wheels I'd sped DT spokes, White Industries hubs, and some CF rims from somewhere.
Thank you! If any wheels in the 2k$-2.4k$ range come to mind let me know please.
Old 05-26-18, 10:27 AM
Boerd

https://www.trekbikes.com/us/en_US/e...wheel/p/21628/

Clinchers made in USA - any good?
Old 05-26-18, 05:00 PM
Shuffleman

Bikes: Colnago CLX,GT Karakoram,Giant Revel, Kona Honk_ Tonk

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 149 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Campag4life
Just like most would prefer a Porsche to a Ford. No way Moots or Seven is worth twice the cost of Lynskey. In a blind test, a rider likely couldn't tell the difference.
Aesthetically, a tarted up Lynskey looks great.
This is a different argument though. For most of us an entry level Bikes with Sora components would do the trick. Why pay more for Campy? It's a preference. Why pay more for De Rosa or Moots? Again, it's a preference. Personally, I would rather have a Moots but we all draw different lines on our preferences and bank accounts. With my money it would be the Lynskey. The OP's money is easier to spend than mine though.
Its no different than a Lexus vs Camry debate. Get what you want and can afford.
To use your analogy, can it be a late 60's Ford Mustang Fastback vs the Porsche? I know my preference😁
Old 05-27-18, 06:50 PM
Boerd

OP what is your budget? It loks like you're shopping the $6,000-$10,000 bracket.

There are lots of boutique Titanium makers big and small in that bracket that are US born and bred. No22, Firefly, Independent Fabrication, Seven, Steve Potts,....all great folks to work with, and will make a beautiful bike....depending on what exactly your budget is and what features you want.
8-10k$ can be digested - anything over means a few weeks detention in the orange tree (backyard) with the squirrels...
I'd like something like Enve 2.2 or Bontrager XXX 2 rims / SRAM eTap / Fizic seat + handlebar (alloy - NOT carbon - around 300$ combined)
Ideally the bike will have a Ti stem + Ti seatpost + etched logos + engraved badge.

Last edited by Boerd; 05-30-18 at 09:17 PM.
Old 05-30-18, 09:48 PM
Boerd

I'm in an analysis paralysis phase. I even checked the welds on my Lynskey after hearing Moots owners how great the Moots are. Happy to report that Lynskey can make very fine welds too. And great frames.
The looks of a Moots however has a je ne sais quoi - something Lynskey doesn't have imo. The regular Lynskey looks more of an "industrial design". The frame quality, however, I dare saying is second to none (Please don't unfriend me on Facebook now).

Last edited by Boerd; 05-30-18 at 10:42 PM.
Old 06-01-18, 01:45 PM
Boerd

And... the winner is Lynskey. I talked with them on a phone about a custom bike with engravings, one of a kind dropouts, etc. Probably round tubes or 2 round and a triangle one, etc. Carbon wheels, eTap Red 22, etc. Now the hard part will be to decide finish, engravings, etching or maybe painting??? I know I want details and a low-key looking bike, something that looks stealth, etc but I don't know exactly how that's going to be...
Old 06-01-18, 04:39 PM
philbob57

Bikes: frankenbike based on MKM frame

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 715 Post(s)
Liked 613 Times in 377 Posts
Very cool decision.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.