Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Do you think 24x7 heart rate monitoring is useful?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-18, 01:43 PM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18883 Post(s)
Liked 10,646 Times in 6,054 Posts

A lot of people are using smart and multi-sport watches these days, many of which have wrist HRMs and continuously record the wearer’s pulse rate, not just during exercise but while you eat, sleep, work, etc. If you work in an office, you probably have colleagues with these devices. Occasionally we get threads in here asking whether to get a watch or a bike computer too.

I’m curious whether people in here see any value to this.
Old 05-25-18, 01:59 PM
colombo357

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 120 Post(s)
Liked 30 Times in 12 Posts
I have an Apple Watch but I don't wear it at night because the battery doesn't last 24 hrs. Thinking about getting one of the Fitbit watches, primarily to wear at night in order to gauge recovery and possibly also gauge quality of sleep.

If I wake up with a higher-than-usual resting HR, I can tweak my workout to compensate.
Old 05-25-18, 02:00 PM
musicmaster

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
As a runner, rHr is important to determine recovery. If your rHr is higher consistently, chances are you need to back off for a few days to recover. I assume it is similar as a biker as well.
Old 05-25-18, 02:30 PM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18378 Post(s)
Liked 4,512 Times in 3,354 Posts
Perhaps for curiosity, to see my true resting heart rate, and changes from month to month or year to year.

But, I don't see much value in doing continuous monitoring.

I would like to explore HR a bit more with training, but I can usually tell when I'm getting winded.
Old 05-25-18, 03:19 PM
johnny99

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 104 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Your resting heart rate is useful for monitoring your fitness and health. You can measure this with your fingers as well as with a HRM.
https://www.health.harvard.edu/blog/...h-201606179806
Old 05-25-18, 03:20 PM
evan326

Bikes: 2013 Cannondale Synapse 6 Tiagra + 2016 Cannondale CAAD 12 Dura Ace

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 231 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I got a samsung gear s2 for $1 with my last phone. Having it track my HR has been interesting. I've found it useful to gauge my overall fatigue while I'm sleeping. Days when my HR doesn't drop below a certain point usually coincides with days when I'm pretty tired. Also knowing an estimate of calories burned in my sleep is cool.Honestly though if it wasn't $1 I wouldn't have ever gotten it. I put it on the charger when I wake up and by the time I'm done getting ready it's usually close to fully charged.
Coming from running, HR is the key metric I'm used to watching.
Old 05-25-18, 04:32 PM
rgconner

Bikes: Curtis Inglis Road, 80's Sekai touring fixie

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 472 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 9 Posts
I have a friend with some serious heart issues, as well as an uncle who wears a pacemaker.

Both say the wearable HRMs have saved their lives/prevented trips to the ER multiple times.
Old 05-25-18, 05:36 PM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 354 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20810 Post(s)
Liked 9,456 Times in 4,672 Posts
I've had a Fitbit Charge 2 for six weeks or so, and it was my introduction to 24-7 HR monitoring. For me, it's... interesting. I really don't have the schedule for something like over-training to be a concern, but I have been sick twice during this period (which is very unusual for me), and it was interesting to see my RHR tick upwards for two days, before showing any symptoms, in both cases.

Now, how Fitbit calculates RHR is another thing - it's weird to look at it and see a HR of 48 and an indicated RHR of 52 Thems the breaks, I guess.
Old 05-25-18, 05:40 PM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 354 Post(s)
Quoted: 20810 Post(s)
Liked 9,456 Times in 4,672 Posts
Oh, and if any of yous are looking at a Fitbit, check with MicroCenter if you have one nearby. They had an in-store specials on the Charge 2 and Alta HR - either for $75, limit one per household. They go for $150 just about every place else.
Old 05-25-18, 08:54 PM
seypat

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 3241 Post(s)
Liked 2,512 Times in 1,510 Posts
I have a TomTom Spark 3. I only wear it when I am doing a fitness related activity, or just as a watch. I don't need it to tell me I'm not getting enough sleep. At a certain level/duration of exertion, I get nosebleeds and have to stop the actiivity. I wear the HR watch to only monitor the exertion level. My wife, on the other hand is permanently tethered to her Garmin. Don't be "that guy/girl" who is checking their HR data immediately after a roll in the hay. That's too much analysis.

Last edited by seypat; 05-25-18 at 09:36 PM.
Old 05-25-18, 09:18 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10964 Post(s)
Liked 7,491 Times in 4,189 Posts
It may be useful to some specific people or select groups, but it sure doesnt seem useful overall.
in the last handful of years, i dont see peoe around me being any thinner/stronger/healthier, even though so many track their steps, heart rate, sleep cycle, etc on a watch.

not saying its gimmicky, it just seems limited in its actual benefit. No harm done to have it though, i guess.
for many, me being one at times, the idea of fitness is often more appealing than actual fitness.
Old 05-25-18, 11:54 PM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4560 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts
I'd consider it to track variations to see if there's a pattern. I have occasional arrhythmia and fluctuations in heart rate. This week a doctor suggested it might be due to caffeine and irregular sleep. They find no indication of a consistent or chronic problem. And my only previous instances of minor heart related problems were due to reactions to medications. Seems reasonable.
Old 05-26-18, 02:18 AM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 7652 Post(s)
Liked 3,478 Times in 1,836 Posts
No.
Old 05-26-18, 06:35 AM
atwl77
Kamen Rider

Bikes: Fuji Transonic Elite, Marechal Soul Ultimate, Dahon Dash Altena

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 351 Post(s)
Liked 277 Times in 164 Posts
I am on my second Fitbit now (first was a Charge 2, then upgraded to Ionic for built-in GPS), and I have to say that I find their resting HR questionable as it doesn't seem to be based on the lowest HR recorded immediately after waking up, and I couldn't find any information about how they calculate their value. However, their measurements are consistent enough that I pay more attention to trends rather than actual values. If it goes up then I need to dial down on my training; if it goes up a lot then I'm probably falling sick.
Old 05-26-18, 08:12 AM
RShantz

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 278 Post(s)
Liked 29 Times in 19 Posts
This is an interesting one. Is resting heart rate (on a day-to-day basis) a predictor/indicator of fatigue?

I normally tone things down a bit when I can't get my HR up on hard efforts. If resting HR was a reliable metric, I could get the rest before actually trying to put in a hard effort.

I'm guessing that resting HR isn't a reliable predictor otherwise it'd be common practice.
Old 05-26-18, 08:22 AM
f4rrest
Farmer tan

Bikes: Allez, SuperSix Evo

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 2870 Post(s)
Liked 28 Times in 23 Posts
Useful? No.

Entertaining? Maybe.
Old 05-26-18, 08:32 AM
gregf83 

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1186 Post(s)
Liked 289 Times in 177 Posts
Originally Posted by f4rrest
Useful? No.
Agreed.

Entertaining? Maybe.
Not for long.

I got a Fenix 5, primarily for running, and find the wrist based HRM pretty much useless. If you need a reasonably accurate HR you need to wear a chest strap. The wrist based HRM gives a general indication and provides a little chart of my resting HR but it's not something I take any action on. I think if you have a powermeter and track your fitness metrics FTP, TSS, CTL etc they will give you a better picture of your fitness and fatigue levels.
Old 05-26-18, 11:16 AM
Seattle Forrest

Originally Posted by RShantz
This is an interesting one. Is resting heart rate (on a day-to-day basis) a predictor/indicator of fatigue?

I normally tone things down a bit when I can't get my HR up on hard efforts. If resting HR was a reliable metric, I could get the rest before actually trying to put in a hard effort.

I'm guessing that resting HR isn't a reliable predictor otherwise it'd be common practice.
A lot of people say yes. Mine seems to fluctuate at random on a day-to-day basis. Look at it over the course of a year and it goes up a little in the winter when I'm not getting as much exercise, but over the course of a week I think it's mostly noise.
Old 05-26-18, 11:20 AM
Seattle Forrest

Originally Posted by WhyFi
Now, how Fitbit calculates RHR is another thing - it's weird to look at it and see a HR of 48 and an indicated RHR of 52 Thems the breaks, I guess.
Originally Posted by atwl77
I am on my second Fitbit now (first was a Charge 2, then upgraded to Ionic for built-in GPS), and I have to say that I find their resting HR questionable as it doesn't seem to be based on the lowest HR recorded immediately after waking up, and I couldn't find any information about how they calculate their value. However, their measurements are consistent enough that I pay more attention to trends rather than actual values. If it goes up then I need to dial down on my training; if it goes up a lot then I'm probably falling sick.
My Garmin does this too. It'll say I had 47 bpm in the early morning, but give me a HRH of 51. I saw something on their site about it's the lowest 5 minute (?) average HR, or something like that, not just the lowest value it saw. I don't really agree that that's how it's supposed to be measured, but I think that's what it's doing, or something like it. Whatever formula it's using, at least it seems consistent in how it's applied.
Old 05-26-18, 11:39 AM
pvillemasher

Bikes: 1989 Trek 400, 2000 Lemond Buenos Aires, 2013 GT Attack, 2017 Lynskey R250

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 126 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts
I've had a FitBit for a couple of years. I use the 24 hour HR tracking as a way to gauge how many calories I am burning that day and therefore how many calories I should eat. It's far from exact - I don't calculate the calories in of everything I eat and the tracking on my wrist isn't exact anyway - but it helps me a lot especially when I'm planning my evening meal.

Edit to post about accuracy of the wrist FitBit since it was mentioned earlier in this thread: I just finished a ride this morning. My FitBit shows I burned 2,124 calories, my Wahoo Bolt chest strap shoes I burned 2,219. The two are typically pretty close.

Last edited by pvillemasher; 05-26-18 at 12:01 PM.
Old 05-26-18, 11:39 AM
Rollfast
What happened?

Bikes: 3 Rollfasts, 3 Schwinns, a Shelby and a Higgins Flightliner in a pear tree!

Mentioned: 57 Post(s)
Quoted: 1835 Post(s)
Liked 292 Times in 255 Posts
Only in the hospital.
Old 05-26-18, 12:33 PM
jitteringjr

Bikes: 2018 Canyon Aeroad CF SLX 9.0 2016 Bombtrack Arise Campy build cross bike 2005 Fuji Outland Pro

Quoted: 361 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by musicmaster
As a runner, rHr is important to determine recovery. If your rHr is higher consistently, chances are you need to back off for a few days to recover. I assume it is similar as a biker as well.
i have found this helpful as well for cycling recovery.
Old 05-26-18, 02:00 PM
gettingold

Bikes: 2018 Lynskey R 260 Disc; 2008 Trek 4.7 Madone; 2017 Framed Minnesota 3.0 Fat Bike; 1984 Nishiki International

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 111 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by rgconner
I have a friend with some serious heart issues, as well as an uncle who wears a pacemaker.

Both say the wearable HRMs have saved their lives/prevented trips to the ER multiple times.
I have had a couple of heart attacks while riding. During one of them I was wearing a HRM. It indicated nothing unusual so I'm fine if you want to train with it but don't buy one for health reasons. YRMV,
Old 05-26-18, 02:16 PM
rgconner

Bikes: Curtis Inglis Road, 80's Sekai touring fixie

Quoted: 472 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by gettingold
I have had a couple of heart attacks while riding. During one of them I was wearing a HRM. It indicated nothing unusual so I'm fine if you want to train with it but don't buy one for health reasons. YRMV,
Both of them have conditions that send their heart rates skyrocketing for no obvious reason (like exercising).

Both had the devices recommended to them by their doctors, allows them to take measures to slow down their heart rate.

In my uncles case that prevents the ICD (the pacemaker) from defibrillating him if the high heart rate gets erratic, which requires a trip to the ER.

He uses blue icepacks on the back of his neck and chest, which slows his heart rate from the cold shocks. Sucks being 75, but beats the alternatives.
Old 05-26-18, 09:51 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6196 Post(s)
Liked 4,810 Times in 3,318 Posts
You have to decide if you will be one of those that have a heart problem that can be detected by 24 hr monitoring. The only HR that really indicates an issue by itself alone is not having any heart rate. You can be fine or in need of care at any other HR from more than none to above max HR depending on what the circumstances and other measurements are telling you along with whether you are prone due to current health or genetics for certain issues. Though there are cases where a wearable may have alerted of an issue and saved a life, there are many more that wore a wearable and didn't get notice of anything before they wound up in the ER or morgue.

Note that most of the cases where a wearable helped, the doctors had already recommended their use because of a particular condition that individual had.

Last edited by Iride01; 05-26-18 at 09:55 PM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.