Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Moots vs Trek vs Lynskey

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Moots vs Trek vs Lynskey

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-18, 04:38 AM
gettingold

Bikes: 2018 Lynskey R 260 Disc; 2008 Trek 4.7 Madone; 2017 Framed Minnesota 3.0 Fat Bike; 1984 Nishiki International

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 111 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Boerd
And... the winner is Lynskey. I talked with them on a phone about a custom bike with engravings, one of a kind dropouts, etc. Probably round tubes or 2 round and a triangle one, etc. Carbon wheels, eTap Red 22, etc. Now the hard part will be to decide finish, engravings, etching or maybe painting??? I know I want details and a low-key looking bike, something that looks stealth, etc but I don't know exactly how that's going to be...
Awesome. I love the industrial mill and etching but paint would be cool also.
Old 06-02-18, 04:44 AM
gettingold

Bikes: 2018 Lynskey R 260 Disc; 2008 Trek 4.7 Madone; 2017 Framed Minnesota 3.0 Fat Bike; 1984 Nishiki International

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
And... the winner is Lynskey. I talked with them on a phone about a custom bike with engravings, one of a kind dropouts, etc. Probably round tubes or 2 round and a triangle one, etc. Carbon wheels, eTap Red 22, etc. Now the hard part will be to decide finish, engravings, etching or maybe painting??? I know I want details and a low-key looking bike, something that looks stealth, etc but I don't know exactly how that's going to be...
Here it is with mill and etching. Pretty stealthy I think:
Old 06-02-18, 06:54 AM
Jazzguitar

Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 14 Posts
Congrats, you can’t go wrong with Lynskey! I lived 3 miles from Seven cycles and 10 miles Indy Fab but decided on Lynskey since I couldn’t justify the 2x price difference.
Old 06-02-18, 08:46 AM
Boerd

Bikes: Moots Vamoots RSL 2018, Passoni Titanio 2020

Liked 33 Times in 8 Posts
Lynskey has a lot of good deals on stock stuff but when you talk custom for something eTap, carbon wheels, etc the difference between Moots, Eriksen and Lynskey is small. It would be unwise to cheap out on a 10-15% difference between Eriksen and Lynskey. Moots is around 20% more expensive due to taxes (for Lynskey and Eriksen I don't pay taxes). I chose based on how they treated me before and the fact they are a big company that can make any bike I like - or so they say. It's a very hard decision and I'm not totally convinced.
Old 06-05-18, 01:01 PM
Boerd

Uhh. Ohhh. Thought longer and changed my mind. I am not giving up my Lynskey Helix Pro. This ride is just too sweet. So I went Moots Vamoots RSL. I ponied up with etched finish, engraved badge, etched seatpost and stem, carbon wheels (Mavic Cosmic PRO Carbon SL UST) and eTap. The only bad part about Moots is the long wait. 8 weeks!!! Just placed the order with Moots.

Last edited by Boerd; 06-05-18 at 01:07 PM.
Old 06-05-18, 01:56 PM
tony2v

Bikes: 1975 Albert Eisentraut, 1992 Bill Davidson, 2006 Moots Compact, 2007 KHS Solo-One, 2010 Van Dessel Drag Strip Courage, 2013 Alchemy Xanthus, 2016 Breadwinner Lolo, 2018 Moots VaMoots RSL, 2019 Chapter2 Tere Disc, 2020 Chapter2 Ao Limited Edition

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked 32 Times in 16 Posts
Uhh. Ohhh. Thought longer and changed my mind. I am not giving up my Lynskey Helix Pro. This ride is just too sweet. So I went Moots Vamoots RSL. I ponied up with etched finish, engraved badge, etched seatpost and stem, carbon wheels (Mavic Cosmic PRO Carbon SL UST) and eTap. The only bad part about Moots is the long wait. 8 weeks!!! Just placed the order with Moots.
Congrats! Welcome to the congregation (that's what a group of alligators are called).
Did you go with a stock or custom geometry? My 2018 Vamoots RSL is a custom geometry because the stock 55 and 56 had too high a stack for my position.
Old 06-05-18, 01:58 PM
Boerd

Originally Posted by tony2v
Congrats! Welcome to the congregation (that's what a group of alligators are called).
Did you go with a stock or custom geometry? My 2018 Vamoots RSL is a custom geometry because the stock 55 and 56 had too high a stack for my position.
54 is perfect for me except I had to add 1 cm to the head tube to make it taller. You must be very flexible!

Last edited by Boerd; 06-05-18 at 02:09 PM.
Old 06-05-18, 04:24 PM
dougphoto

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 130 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 12 Posts
Moots
Old 06-05-18, 06:53 PM
pvillemasher

Bikes: 1989 Trek 400, 2000 Lemond Buenos Aires, 2013 GT Attack, 2017 Lynskey R250

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 126 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts
I'm not sure the Lynskey would have gotten to you any quicker...did they give you an ETA? Just curious.

Sounds like you'll end up with a really nice ride, will be well worth the wait.
Old 06-05-18, 08:09 PM
Boerd

Originally Posted by pvillemasher
I'm not sure the Lynskey would have gotten to you any quicker...did they give you an ETA? Just curious.

Sounds like you'll end up with a really nice ride, will be well worth the wait.
It would have been around 6 weeks - slightly faster. But, I decided I like my Helix too much so I will keep it. Hence it would make sense to try a Moots. I hope it will be a ride as good as the Helix.
Plus - Moots has the exact finishes and touches I like. Lynskey has the resources to do anything you like but you have to know what you are asking for... In a weird way I felt that having a limited but very nice set of options is better.
Even though the sky is the limit with Lynskey I am not sure I can design a bike to look as nice as a Moots RSL (strike that - I am sure I could not, not in a 1000 years!). All the respect for Lynskey but I a just ordered a Moots.

Last edited by Boerd; 06-05-18 at 08:26 PM.
Old 06-06-18, 04:45 AM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4736 Post(s)
Liked 1,533 Times in 1,004 Posts
It would have been around 6 weeks - slightly faster. But, I decided I like my Helix too much so I will keep it. Hence it would make sense to try a Moots. I hope it will be a ride as good as the Helix.
Plus - Moots has the exact finishes and touches I like. Lynskey has the resources to do anything you like but you have to know what you are asking for... In a weird way I felt that having a limited but very nice set of options is better.
Even though the sky is the limit with Lynskey I am not sure I can design a bike to look as nice as a Moots RSL (strike that - I am sure I could not, not in a 1000 years!). All the respect for Lynskey but I a just ordered a Moots.
The way this is presented (and your OP which only mentions Trek's LBS support as a plus), it sounds like you went to Moots directly for the purchase, even though their site indicates to work thru their dealers?
Old 06-06-18, 08:34 AM
Boerd

Originally Posted by Sy Reene
The way this is presented (and your OP which only mentions Trek's LBS support as a plus), it sounds like you went to Moots directly for the purchase, even though their site indicates to work thru their dealers?
no no no. I went through a dealer close to my place. I don’t think it’s possible to go directly for a Moots. Plus, I do want LBS support. I think it’s worth.

Last edited by Boerd; 06-06-18 at 09:39 AM.
Old 06-06-18, 04:28 PM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

no no no. I went through a dealer close to my place. I don’t think it’s possible to go directly for a Moots. Plus, I do want LBS support. I think it’s worth.
ahh. ok. I did see that Moots' website has a "Call for Pricing" mention so was confused.. That said, are you doing frameset from Moots and the LBS is doing custom build up of the bike, or will the bike ship complete from Moots factory with your specced components, etc? It might be interesting to call Moots, spec your bike and see how their pricing compares to the LBS quote..
Old 06-06-18, 04:43 PM
Boerd

ahh. ok. I did see that Moots' website has a "Call for Pricing" mention so was confused.. That said, are you doing frameset from Moots and the LBS is doing custom build up of the bike, or will the bike ship complete from Moots factory with your specced components, etc? It might be interesting to call Moots, spec your bike and see how their pricing compares to the LBS quote..
Moots is serious about supporting their dealers. I don't think there is a point in trying to game their system. I didn't try but in the end I got a decent deal. I put a lot of options on my bike and I am ok with the price. Plus - later on I want to have a good relationship with the LBS.
BTW - Moots gives you a msrp and sends you to the dealer (LBS) from what I've heard.
Old 06-06-18, 04:48 PM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Moots is serious about supporting their dealers. I don't think there is a point in trying to game their system. I didn't try but in the end I got a decent deal. I put a lot of options on my bike and I am ok with the price. Plus - later on I want to have a good relationship with the LBS.
BTW - Moots gives you a msrp and sends you to the dealer (LBS) from what I've heard.
Fair enough. Is Moots or the LBS though doing the parts collection and assembly? just curious
[EDIT]: for warranty issues, while you'd go thru the LBS either way, for non-frame issues, is the LBS going to be dealing with Moots or the independent component manufacturers?
Old 06-06-18, 05:04 PM
Boerd

Fair enough. Is Moots or the LBS though doing the parts collection and assembly? just curious
[EDIT]: for warranty issues, while you'd go thru the LBS either way, for non-frame issues, is the LBS going to be dealing with Moots or the independent component manufacturers?
The LBS is buying the components and assembling the bike- so I expect they would take care of components. However, Moots has to have an interest in keeping you happy so I think the LBS has to make you happy (within reason) or else...
This is a niche industry - not a lot of people buy these kind of bikes and the customer perception has to matter for all Ti builders. My 2c.
Old 06-06-18, 09:04 PM
tony2v

Bikes: 1975 Albert Eisentraut, 1992 Bill Davidson, 2006 Moots Compact, 2007 KHS Solo-One, 2010 Van Dessel Drag Strip Courage, 2013 Alchemy Xanthus, 2016 Breadwinner Lolo, 2018 Moots VaMoots RSL, 2019 Chapter2 Tere Disc, 2020 Chapter2 Ao Limited Edition

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked 32 Times in 16 Posts
When I had my Vamoots RSL built, I went through my LBS (they sponsor my racing club) I brought them the Campy Record gruppo, the power2max NGeco Campy crankset (consumer direct only) and the Vittoria tires/tubes.
They built my custom wheels, acquired the ENVE parts and PRO Stealth saddle.
I got my team discount on all the parts purchased through the shop including the frame.
The shop owner and I worked with Moots on getting me a custom size frame because their stock 55 and 56cm frames have a stack that's too tall for my position. So we sent Moots the drawings from my Alchemy Xanthus and Breadwinner Lolo.
The finished build had me in exactly the position as my Alchemy.
I love this bike! So smooth, but as quick and snappy as my Alchemy. It's my new weapon on the club rides
Old 06-08-18, 10:16 AM
Boerd

8th of August is the date for my bike... My my. It'll take a while. At least I got everything I wanted in this build - at a price . In the meantime I'll be enjoying my Helix Pro. Now I'm curious how these 2 will compare.
Old 06-08-18, 01:54 PM
rutan74

Bikes: Felt ZR3, Specialized Sectur

Quoted: 100 Post(s)
Liked 52 Times in 37 Posts
Thank you! If any wheels in the 2k$-2.4k$ range come to mind let me know please.
Sorry, I'm here late. If you are still looking for a good set of carbon wheels in the 2k range, try NOX out of Knoxville, Tenn. My wheel builder rides these and also builds these. Says they are really nice. I'm not ready to plunk down that type of cash but the guy I ride with is getting ready to pull the trigger and this is what he is recommending. Made in the U.S. too. For the 2k, that includes Chris King hubs.

John
Old 06-08-18, 09:45 PM
Boerd

Originally Posted by rutan74
Sorry, I'm here late. If you are still looking for a good set of carbon wheels in the 2k range, try NOX out of Knoxville, Tenn. My wheel builder rides these and also builds these. Says they are really nice. I'm not ready to plunk down that type of cash but the guy I ride with is getting ready to pull the trigger and this is what he is recommending. Made in the U.S. too. For the 2k, that includes Chris King hubs.

John
Ha! You are asking me to take a leap of faith. I am a sucker for musa but - are there any reviews / tests / etc online about these wheels? Mavic is a big name, made in France (no sweatshop), etc.
Found a few online reviews on NOX. Interesting.

Last edited by Boerd; 06-08-18 at 10:06 PM.
Old 06-09-18, 03:54 PM
Chandne

Bikes: 2022 Moots RCS, 2014 BMC SLR01 DA Mech, 2020 Santa Cruz Stigmata, Ibis Ripmo, Trek Top Fuel, Specialized Levo SL, Norco Bigfoot VLT

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 464 Post(s)
Liked 182 Times in 118 Posts
Too bad. Moots is far > Lynskey though Lynskey is > Diamondback.
Old 06-09-18, 04:04 PM
Marcus_Ti
FLIR Kitten to 0.05C

Bikes: Roadie: Seven Axiom Race Ti w/Chorus 11s. CX/Adventure: Carver Gravel Grinder w/ Di2

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 2349 Post(s)
Liked 406 Times in 254 Posts
Ha! You are asking me to take a leap of faith. I am a sucker for musa but - are there any reviews / tests / etc online about these wheels? Mavic is a big name, made in France (no sweatshop), etc.
Found a few online reviews on NOX. Interesting.
Not exactly. Mavic was based in France, and bought out by Salomon...Salomon, who then went bust...who were then bought by Addidas...who sold Salomon/Mavic off.... Today, like ENVE, they are owned by Amer Sports, a multinational conglomerate. Last I knew, their wheels were made in Romania.

The problem with Mavic wheels...spares are expensive and take forever to get. As opposed to a quality set of handbuilts. Given the choice of DT spokes, White hubs, and say NOX rims or Mavic---the former would be a no brainer every time.
Old 06-09-18, 04:10 PM
Boerd

Originally Posted by Marcus_Ti
Not exactly. Mavic was based in France, and bought out by Salomon...Salomon, who then went bust...who were then bought by Addidas...who sold Salomon/Mavic off.... Today, like ENVE, they are owned by Amer Sports, a multinational conglomerate. Last I knew, their wheels were made in Romania.

The problem with Mavic wheels...spares are expensive and take forever to get. As opposed to a quality set of handbuilts. Given the choice of DT spokes, White hubs, and say NOX rims or Mavic---the former would be a no brainer every time.
Cheapest Mavic (Aksyum ALU) - Asia (China I think)
Ksyryum ALU - Romania
Everything more expensive -> Made in France

I have a pair of Ksyryum ALU, made in Romania - they are very good.
Of course I will look to see where I can find assembled NOX. I will read up about them but I'm fine with made in France Cosmic Carbon SL USL unless NOX is the real deal.
Old 06-09-18, 04:15 PM
Marcus_Ti
FLIR Kitten to 0.05C

Bikes: Roadie: Seven Axiom Race Ti w/Chorus 11s. CX/Adventure: Carver Gravel Grinder w/ Di2

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 2349 Post(s)
Liked 406 Times in 254 Posts
Cheapest Mavic (Aksyum ALU) - Asia (China I think)
Ksyryum ALU - Romania
Everything more expensive -> Made in France

I have a pair of Ksyryum ALU, made in Romania - they are very good.
Of course I will look to see where I can find assembled NOX. I will read up about them but I'm fine with made in France Cosmic Carbon SL USL unless NOX is the real deal.
Prowheelbuilder offers custom NOX builds. Also other CF rims as well....and just about every hub known to man.
Old 06-09-18, 04:20 PM
Boerd

Originally Posted by Marcus_Ti
Prowheelbuilder offers custom NOX builds. Also other CF rims as well....and just about every hub known to man.
Ha ha - I was configuring them on Prowheelbuilder...
Price as configured: $1785.44Weight:1505 grams
$ match the Mavic. Hmm - let me talk with the guy building my bike.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.