Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Titanium Longevity

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Titanium Longevity

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-18, 06:32 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18420 Post(s)
Liked 15,564 Times in 7,333 Posts
Originally Posted by Sy Reene
Yes, but in the same way you have to worry about rust with steel bikes, you'd have termites to contend with on your wood bike.
The threat of panda damage has kept me away from a bamboo frame.
Old 06-28-18, 06:38 AM
Abu Mahendra

Bikes: In service - FSIR Spin 3.0, Bannard Sunny minivelo, Dahon Dash Altena folder. Several others in construction or temporarily decommissioned.

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 897 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 17 Posts
Got one for you if you want change your mind...

Originally Posted by indyfabz
The threat of panda damage has kept me away from a bamboo frame.
Old 06-28-18, 08:47 AM
gettingold

Bikes: 2018 Lynskey R 260 Disc; 2008 Trek 4.7 Madone; 2017 Framed Minnesota 3.0 Fat Bike; 1984 Nishiki International

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 111 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Sy Reene
Yes, but in the same way you have to worry about rust with steel bikes, you'd have termites to contend with on your wood bike.
And fire.
Old 06-28-18, 09:59 AM
ksryder

Bikes: yes

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1281 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 329 Posts
(warning, pointless digression ahead)

My wedding ring is tungsten. I thought it looked cool and would be more durable for my semi-active lifestyle. It still looks cool, but on a somewhat ironic note I no longer wear it on bike rides because it fell off my finger once during a ride and it was only through blind luck that I found it again.

Tungsten is very strong - I can't quantify it but I'm sure you can easily research its properties. I think it might be stronger than Ti. Naturally I wondered why there are no bikes made from Tungsten. After some minor internet research the short answer is basically that it's way too stiff and brittle, not good for large objects such as bicycles. I think I saw a prototype mountain bike made out of Tungsten but I think it was a concept only.
-----------
After seeing some Chevy vs. Ford "Aluminum trucks are bad/no aluminum trucks are good" commercials I was amused because the aluminum vs. steel debate happened 30 years ago in bikes, and now we've all moved on to carbon fiber vs. titanium. It made me wonder why we haven't seen titanium cars? I looked into that as well, there's a couple super-expensive titanium supercars out there but as I recall the expense makes it not an ideal choice for big things like cars. (Although it was a good choice for the SR-71 Blackbird, which I guess illustrates the advantages of having the might and wealth of the western military-industrial complex behind you).

I'm sorry, what's this thread about? Oh yeah. Titanium is basically the same as aluminum foil. Got it.
Old 06-28-18, 11:05 AM
carlos danger

Bikes: steel is real. and so is Ti...

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 216 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 19 Posts
Tungsten is also very heavy. like 19,7kg/l or so.
Old 06-29-18, 12:48 PM
Worknomore

Bikes: Serotta CRL, Litespeed Blue Ridge, Bacchetta Ti Aero, Cannondale delta V, 67 Schwinn Sting Ray stick shift.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Absolutely ti is the only forever frame material. Take all 4 frames and bury them in the back yard. Now go dig them up 10 years later. Ti will still look and ride new.
Of course only us ti riders know how important this is.

Last edited by Worknomore; 06-29-18 at 12:51 PM.