Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Struggling..

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-18, 08:02 PM
2pedals5

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Litespud
After numerous attempts to quit smoking, I found a small self-help book - can't remember what it was called or where it came from - but the approach it took was to personalize the urge to smoke, by inventing a character called the The Addict. It basically went "Inside you is a person called The Addict, who is constantly trying to get you to smoke. You've finished a job? The Addict suggests you have a smoke - you deserve it. Having a drink? Here comes The Addict..." etc etc. Maybe I was deflecting my own weakness and being able to blame someone else who did not have my best interests at heart, but it worked for me. I also stayed away from bars for the first few weeks (back in the day when you could have a smoke with your beer). That was >20 years ago, and while I occasionally get nostalgic about the whiff of a freshly-lit cigarette, I have no urge to light up.
I will def check that out!!
Old 08-25-18, 11:08 PM
50PlusCycling

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 554 Post(s)
Liked 822 Times in 413 Posts
The best way to kick an addiction problem is to replace it with another.

I was an avid cyclist when I was young, but moved away from the sport when I began driving, and while I was in the military. I didn't return to cycling until I was in my 20's, working a hectic job, putting in more than 20 hours of overtime each week.

At that time, I had gotten out of shape, and had a lot of stress at work. I at lots of junk food, drank only cola, and was physically sliding downhill. I couldn't wake up in the mornings, always staying in bed until the last possible moment. After a 12 hour or longer day at work, I would lay in bed, unable to fall asleep. And when I did sleep, I tossed and turned all night.

A bicycle turned my life around. One day, on a whim, I bought a used road bike, some cheap shorts, a jersey, and shoes. I puttered around on the bike on my day off (I worked 6 days each week), getting myself used to the saddle, and back into the rhythm of riding.

One morning I set my alarm for an hour earlier, and with a great amount of willpower, dragged myself out of bed, dressed up, and got on my bike for a one-hour ride. It was still dark, and I didn't have lights, but I rode anyway. I did this every morning, and though I only rode for an hour, before long I could ride much further in an hour.

On my day off, I went for rides of 100km or so. The repetitive pedaling, the sound of the chain whirring through the gears, and the tires on the road was relaxing to me. After months of this, I lost weight, was sleeping better, and feeling better at work.

Then I got a new bike. My old bike had clips and straps, and friction shifters, I got a newer bike with clipless pedals, and integrated shifting. I was now commuting to work on my my bike, 40km each way, and on Saturdays, doing at least 100km, and once a month, 100 miles. The owner of the bike shop from which I bought my gear invited me to take part in their weekend group ride, and I decided to give it a try.

My first group ride went well enough, I got to meet a few people, most were talkative and friendly. About 20 minutes into the ride, the pace picked up, and after another 15 or so minutes, the ride broke into two groups, the faster riders peeling away, and leaving the slower riders (including myself) in their dust. Being left behind didn't sit well with me. When the faster riders broke away, I tried to jump up and join them, but they were too fast for me.

In group rides, I learned to ride straight, how to work in a pace line, to keep my eyes open, to hear people pointing out things in the road ahead, or pointing them out myself when I was in the front. It was a lot of fun, and the speed was much faster than riding alone. A solo century is a grueling test, a century in a group almost flies by. I rode every week, rain or shine, and made some really good friends.

In time, I was riding with the faster group, and got to the point that I was always one of the first finishers. The faster riders were very competitive, there was a lot of jockeying around, and the sprints were a blast. One of the guys I rode with, an Italian, invited to ride with a faster group which took place in another area. These guys were truly fast and crazy, and were a lot of fun to ride with. During the ride there could be yells and curses, but after the ride, everyone became friends again.

I found that I had become addicted to cycling. I was riding some 500km per week, I had lost almost every bit of fat on my body. I could no longer get my legs into the jeans I had once slipped into easily. My resting pulse dropped into the 40's. I could as much of anything as I wanted, as often as I wanted, and never gain weight. No matter how long the ride, how tiring, or how difficult, I felt good afterwards, and looked forward again to riding the next day. I was hooked.

I left my job, and did something which earned less money, but where I only had to work 40 hours a week. I began competing in local criteriums, and doing well. A friend of mine said an amateur team had a couple openings, and recommended me. I took a leave of absence at work, and spent a season competing around the region. I was a good sprinter, and though I somehow never managed to win any events, I made it to the podium a few times. The next season I was training in Mallorca in the spring, and then competing on a Spanish team in Southern Europe that summer.

20-odd years later, cycling still remains a passion of mine. It keeps me fit, and keeps me sane.
Old 08-27-18, 09:58 AM
cynergy

Bikes: Trek FX 7.2, Trek 520, Trek Allant+ 8S

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Hang in there and don't give up!

I like the advice 50PlusCycling gave (replace a bad addiction with a more positive addiction like cycling), but keep trying to find what works for you.
Old 08-27-18, 12:18 PM
2pedals5

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 50PlusCycling
The best way to kick an addiction problem is to replace it with another.

I was an avid cyclist when I was young, but moved away from the sport when I began driving, and while I was in the military. I didn't return to cycling until I was in my 20's, working a hectic job, putting in more than 20 hours of overtime each week.

At that time, I had gotten out of shape, and had a lot of stress at work. I at lots of junk food, drank only cola, and was physically sliding downhill. I couldn't wake up in the mornings, always staying in bed until the last possible moment. After a 12 hour or longer day at work, I would lay in bed, unable to fall asleep. And when I did sleep, I tossed and turned all night.

A bicycle turned my life around. One day, on a whim, I bought a used road bike, some cheap shorts, a jersey, and shoes. I puttered around on the bike on my day off (I worked 6 days each week), getting myself used to the saddle, and back into the rhythm of riding.

One morning I set my alarm for an hour earlier, and with a great amount of willpower, dragged myself out of bed, dressed up, and got on my bike for a one-hour ride. It was still dark, and I didn't have lights, but I rode anyway. I did this every morning, and though I only rode for an hour, before long I could ride much further in an hour.

On my day off, I went for rides of 100km or so. The repetitive pedaling, the sound of the chain whirring through the gears, and the tires on the road was relaxing to me. After months of this, I lost weight, was sleeping better, and feeling better at work.

Then I got a new bike. My old bike had clips and straps, and friction shifters, I got a newer bike with clipless pedals, and integrated shifting. I was now commuting to work on my my bike, 40km each way, and on Saturdays, doing at least 100km, and once a month, 100 miles. The owner of the bike shop from which I bought my gear invited me to take part in their weekend group ride, and I decided to give it a try.

My first group ride went well enough, I got to meet a few people, most were talkative and friendly. About 20 minutes into the ride, the pace picked up, and after another 15 or so minutes, the ride broke into two groups, the faster riders peeling away, and leaving the slower riders (including myself) in their dust. Being left behind didn't sit well with me. When the faster riders broke away, I tried to jump up and join them, but they were too fast for me.

In group rides, I learned to ride straight, how to work in a pace line, to keep my eyes open, to hear people pointing out things in the road ahead, or pointing them out myself when I was in the front. It was a lot of fun, and the speed was much faster than riding alone. A solo century is a grueling test, a century in a group almost flies by. I rode every week, rain or shine, and made some really good friends.

In time, I was riding with the faster group, and got to the point that I was always one of the first finishers. The faster riders were very competitive, there was a lot of jockeying around, and the sprints were a blast. One of the guys I rode with, an Italian, invited to ride with a faster group which took place in another area. These guys were truly fast and crazy, and were a lot of fun to ride with. During the ride there could be yells and curses, but after the ride, everyone became friends again.

I found that I had become addicted to cycling. I was riding some 500km per week, I had lost almost every bit of fat on my body. I could no longer get my legs into the jeans I had once slipped into easily. My resting pulse dropped into the 40's. I could as much of anything as I wanted, as often as I wanted, and never gain weight. No matter how long the ride, how tiring, or how difficult, I felt good afterwards, and looked forward again to riding the next day. I was hooked.

I left my job, and did something which earned less money, but where I only had to work 40 hours a week. I began competing in local criteriums, and doing well. A friend of mine said an amateur team had a couple openings, and recommended me. I took a leave of absence at work, and spent a season competing around the region. I was a good sprinter, and though I somehow never managed to win any events, I made it to the podium a few times. The next season I was training in Mallorca in the spring, and then competing on a Spanish team in Southern Europe that summer.

20-odd years later, cycling still remains a passion of mine. It keeps me fit, and keeps me sane.
I love this! I'll remember this when I'm trying to transform. Thank you!!
Old 08-27-18, 01:44 PM
jeffpoulin

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 7 Posts
Think progress, not perfection. 10 months sober is great progress!! Cutting down on cigs is also progress. If you're at a pack a day now, try cutting to 3/4 of a pack. Or try to break certain patterns that keep you stuck like making a deal with yourself to have no cigs before noon for a week. Reward yourself when you meet these goals. Eventually, you'll quit when you're ready. You're just not there yet, but you're getting there.
Old 08-27-18, 02:37 PM
TiHabanero

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1746 Post(s)
Liked 1,376 Times in 721 Posts
Addiction is so weird as it affects each person differently. My dad quit when the doc told him quit or die. With 7 kids he chose us over himself. On the other hand my mother's friend willingly died from alcoholism. She didn't want to stop. Never tried. Mom said because it was more than what she could deal with in her head and body. Perhaps it comes down to motivation? I don't know, however watching Marie die a horrible death and my dad conquer smoking for us kids, I am thankful for their suffering as I have learned and benefitted from it.

10 months sober is fantastic. You are positively affecting someone else out there, and you may be surprised at who it is. We are proud of you!
Old 08-28-18, 09:16 PM
2pedals5

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by TiHabanero
Addiction is so weird as it affects each person differently. My dad quit when the doc told him quit or die. With 7 kids he chose us over himself. On the other hand my mother's friend willingly died from alcoholism. She didn't want to stop. Never tried. Mom said because it was more than what she could deal with in her head and body. Perhaps it comes down to motivation? I don't know, however watching Marie die a horrible death and my dad conquer smoking for us kids, I am thankful for their suffering as I have learned and benefitted from it.

10 months sober is fantastic. You are positively affecting someone else out there, and you may be surprised at who it is. We are proud of you!
thank you! Your father is awesome!!
Old 08-29-18, 07:38 AM
vinfix
Steel80's

Bikes: Breezer Venturi, Breezer Lightning Pro, Schwinn Peloton

Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 11 Posts
I was never a heavy smoker, at most a pack every 2-3 days, and I quit for good probably 25 years ago. The more I worked out (I was big into karate) or rode, the less appetite I had for smoking. Smoking became inconvenient and expensive- couldn't do it in the house or workplace anymore, and I switched to a cheap menthol brand- then I didn't even enjoy the taste anymore!

My first wife had cancer,seeing what she went through- and other patients, well, it's rough. I lost a good friend, a smoker & drinker, to a stroke at 54, his bar buddy, too- except he didn't die, he ended up in a nursing home. And my uncle who smoked Camels spent his last years carrying around oxygen until he died from emphysema.
The part of us that is addicted doesn't want to see or understand these consequences, it's up to our conscious selves to overrule that voice.
Old 08-29-18, 09:24 AM
Caliper

Bikes: Many

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 385 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 43 Posts
Originally Posted by 2pedals5
Hope you can come up with something. Thanks.
Get hooked on Strava (the app). Get obsessed with PR's and KOM's. This will turn smoking from something you'd like to quit into something that is actively holding you back from your goals so maybe put things in a different mental state. Once smoking gets in the way of the cardio needed to keep improving, you will replace one bad habit with another. Then join the rest of us in dealing with a Strava addiction, but at least it's healthier than smoking.

Dunno, I've never smoked and I'm not a psychologist, but it's worth a try... Keep at it.
Old 08-29-18, 04:07 PM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 7652 Post(s)
Liked 3,479 Times in 1,836 Posts
One of the most helpful "quit-assists" is a support group. if you slip and need to hear that it's okay, or if you avoid temptation and need an "attaboy," or of you just want to talk to people who have either been there or just want you to get to where you want to be ...

Well, for sure, don't come here. We are a bunch of jerks.

J/K about everyone .... except myself and maybe a couple others
Old 09-03-18, 11:23 AM
bubba_g
Bubba_g

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Look at the website 2coolfishing.com
there is a forum called tobacco quitters support
very helpful and good ideas.
good luck
Old 09-03-18, 12:08 PM
NiGoCo

Bikes: Couple junkers

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've never smoked but I've been dipping for over twenty years. I have tried to quit several times with the longest being about six months. The physical addiction to the nicotine passed relatively easily. The mental side never got easier. It got worse day by day and in the end I decided I couldn't do it.

Don't be quieter like me. Quit.

I don't think anyone has mentioned it but my sister went to a hypnotist to quit smoking. I don't really put much faith in that but she hasn't smoked in fifteen years and swears she never had a single craving. Anyway just something else to consider.

We're all pulling for you.
Old 09-03-18, 12:37 PM
cyclintom

Bikes: Eddy Merckx Corsa Extra, Basso Loto, Pinarello Stelvio, Redline Cyclocross

Quoted: 336 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by IvyGodivy
I don't agree "coffee" is an addictive substance. I do agree if a person tries to quite caffeine (which you can get in many ways) they will suffer withdrawal but not experience cravings; the withdrawal is really bad headaches.

When someone believes they are addicted to coffee to me it's more they are addicted to the way it makes them feel. With smoking yeah it is great after a big meal, after sex, while driving, but when I stop smoking I feel it in my face and the cravings are like a vampire trying to quit drinking blood. But with coffee, whatever it does for you it can be accessed elsewhere.

I quit coffee with no cravings, but no interest in suffering headaches so I drink hot and cold tea.

I do miss smoking though, but I can't bike and workout like I do if I continue to smoke.
Addiction and desire are two different things. People drink coffee out of habit and not because of addiction. Nicotine is not clear to me. My father developed emphysema and asked me, a two pack a say smoker, to quit. One week later I smoked one cigarette and it tasted so bad that it was the last one I ever had. So true addiction is different from habits. Just because you don't have the will power to stop a habit doesn't mean that it's addiction. I ride four times a week and if I don't ride I don't feel good. Is that an addition?
Old 09-03-18, 12:56 PM
ragtoplvr

Bikes: specalized sirrus

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I am not a smoker or vapor person. Federal regulation is in in infancy, and so far most if not all vape brands can not advertise themselves as safer because they have not done a study. The products you buy may not be pure and every ingredient delivered is not studied for heath effects when delivered in vapor. So what you do with your body is your business, IMHO you do not need vapor for nutrition and should avoid it. Better than smoking? Many brands probably are, WE DO NOT KNOW. Lots of other things in the same category, many of which were tested, and the testers know no money can be made when they fail. Hummm.

Rod.
Old 09-03-18, 02:20 PM
LDBenjamin

Bikes: Schwinn Madison, Haluzak Horizon, Mongoose Brutus, Roland MTB, Sinclair A-Bike

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Maelochs
Hello people ... if someone wants a fight, he will find one---if he cannot, he will start one.

People who want to have a conversation will Ask when there is confusion. People who want to fight will Attack when there is confusion ... even if it their own.

Smoking is amazingly damaging to the body. I Hope no one thinks otherwise.

Not saying people shouldn't smoke--it is personal choice. Cancer, emphysema, general lung damage, vasoconstriction ... are Not choices. They just happen when you smoke.

Coffee and nicotine are both addictive substances. Both can have negative health effects. But ... neither is a hundredth as deadly as smoking cigarettes.

If someone stops smoking cigarettes by switching to vaping, they immediately stop doing massive damage to every bit of tissue from the lips to the alveoli. They immediately lower their cancer risk. They immediately get away from a very expensive, very destructive habit ... and if they swap it for a much less damaging ans slightly less expensive addiction ... it seems like a good swap to me. Don't care who disagrees.

I was lucky enough to be able to quit cigarettes. Some cannot ... and not through lack of trying.

The guy I ride with who vapes can drop me on the flat, and forget on a hill. We climbed a very rare 6.8 percent slope---one of the steepest within miles of where we live---and I was barely able to make it. The whole time, he cruised along side of me casually offering me encouragement ... not even breathing hard. Not many hard-core multi-pack-a-day smokers could do that. i bet he couldn't have done that, back in his smoking days.
Vaping exposes the user to various metals and other chemicals in the product as well as through the heating coils. It may be more dangerous than smoking, although in different ways. The fact that your riding partner has good lungs doesn't indicate anything.
Old 09-03-18, 02:37 PM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Originally Posted by LDBenjamin
Vaping exposes the user to various metals and other chemicals in the product as well as through the heating coils. It may be more dangerous than smoking, although in different ways. The fact that your riding partner has good lungs doesn't indicate anything.
Yeah ... others in that thread produced the same evidence of their claims that you did ... Zero.

You can Say whatever you want. Let's see you back up that claim that vaping is "more dangerous than smoking."

Otherwise: fabrication, BS, "alternate facts" .... whatever.
Old 09-03-18, 06:15 PM
IvyGodivy
Gravel Rider

Bikes: 2019 Trek Checkpoint ALR5 | Trek Farley 5

Quoted: 93 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by cyclintom
Addiction and desire are two different things. People drink coffee out of habit and not because of addiction. Nicotine is not clear to me. My father developed emphysema and asked me, a two pack a say smoker, to quit. One week later I smoked one cigarette and it tasted so bad that it was the last one I ever had. So true addiction is different from habits. Just because you don't have the will power to stop a habit doesn't mean that it's addiction. I ride four times a week and if I don't ride I don't feel good. Is that an addition?
They are very different things which can turn this into a long drawn out discussion when one doesn’t need to occur. So I will address your reply as I read it.

Agreed, people do drink coffee out of a habit but from a mental sense it is an addicition. I am in IT and the amount of people that I have encountered including a college professor that says they can’t function without their coffee is extensive. Is there addictive additives in coffee that can prove this? Don’t know nor do I really care.

I don’t get your thing about your grandpa and cigarettes. I will say this, if anyone can’t admit nor know by now cigarettes are death sticks then I don’t know what else to say. As for them tasting nasty after a period of not using them isn’t uncommon but at the same time not always the same result for others. For instance I was a 2 pack a day smoker for 5 years, then was smoke free for 16 years. Then one day I let the emotions got the better of me and I had a cigarette and just like that it was like riding a bike: I was a smoker again and no problems with the taste.

I don’t know where to go from here. Is riding a bike 4x’s a week an addiction? IMHO no. Maybe someone else won’t disagree but in the end I really don’t get where you are coming from nor going with this?
Old 09-03-18, 08:18 PM
cyclintom

Bikes: Eddy Merckx Corsa Extra, Basso Loto, Pinarello Stelvio, Redline Cyclocross

Quoted: 336 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
I thought that it was pretty clear but since not I'll restate it: There are habits and there are true additions. I couldn't care less if you know a million people that say they couldn't function with their morning coffee these same people will make faces if you offer them one at 4 in the afternoon.

Cigarettes are another case of a nervous habit. They are a habit that can be easy overcome with nothing more than will-power. Are they deadly? Most assuredly - my father and his two brothers died from them.

The point of this that they are habit forming and not addictive in the medical sense. They release dopamine into your brain causing a relaxation - a good feeling - and you crave that and not you need it or you get biological changes such heroin does.
Old 09-03-18, 08:28 PM
Jax Rhapsody
Rhapsodic Laviathan

Bikes: Rideable; 83 Schwinn High Sierra. Two cruiser, bmx bike, one other mtb, three road frames, one citybike.

Quoted: 222 Post(s)
Liked 123 Times in 91 Posts
Quiters never win...
Old 09-04-18, 01:00 AM
glp

Bikes: Trek 520 (1996), Araya Muddy Fox mountain bike (2016), Folding bike (2010), Maruishi Balboa used as a commuting bike (1980)

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I quit at 65, recently retired from full-time teaching in Kyoto, Japan, after smoking nearly a pack a day for 43 years. I tried to quit many times, switched to a pipe for a while, but I could not stop for long until I finally quit for good on July 1, 2015.

I think three factors led to success: a good (medical) opportunity, step-by-step withdrawal, and changes in Japanese society. First was a "doctor stop" order. I was scheduled to have a hernia operation in August, 2015. In May I had a series of tests and consultations with several doctors, all of whom were very young. I learned that my heart, circulation, and lungs were in good shape and that my low body fat improved my chances of a quick recovery. The only issue was smoking. The anesthesiologist told me that I had to stop smoking at least four weeks before the operation. Apparently smokers secrete a lot of mucus that can become deadly under general anesthesia. I was impressed when she said, "I don't want you to die under my care." She was not joking.

Second, I quit in stages, gradually reducing my daily number of cigarettes over about six weeks. I had never smoked more than a pack a day, so I started with 15, then reduced to something like 12, 10, 7, 5, 3, and finally 0. I took the transition to each stage very seriously, counting each one I would smoke the following day, and I tried to visualize my daily activities without the habit of smoking. I did not use any patches or other cessation aids, but I ate quite a few "FRISK" sugarless mints. I did not make a big deal about quitting. My wife knew, of course, but I did not talk to my physician or join any groups. About halfway at 7 and 5 a day it was pretty challenging. Many it was just stubborn pride, but I did not want to replace one dependency with another, so I kept going. I'm not trying to preach unrealistic willpower and discipline, but I'm sure that I succeeded because I took it very seriously.

Third, my timing was good. Men in Japan used to smoke a lot everywhere, but gradually smoking has become much more restricted and stigmatized since I came to Japan in 1977. In the late 1970s and early 1980s, we used to smoke wherever we wanted. Even some city buses and commuter trains had ashtrays. Now it's a more health-oriented society. In Kyoto, for example, smoking on downtown sidewalks is a crime. Smokers have to search for special "smoking rooms" or other locations. At the same time a lot of guys in my age group have quit smoking. When I was 30, nearly everyone I knew smoked. When I quit at 65, all except one had quit or died. Nearly everyone observes good "smoking manners" in public places. The air is much cleaner now than in the past, and it's easier to avoid the temptation to smoke.

I have not touched a cigarette since I quit. Now and then I miss smoking, and I might take a big sniff when I smell a cigarette at a distance, but I don't feel any temptation to return to smoking or to take nicotine in any form. The only downside is weight gain. After I quit, I gained several kilograms, and keeping my weigh under control is a constant struggle. I understand that we don't need as many calories as we age, but I often feel hungry. I'm right on the edge of being overweight (BMI=25), but I figure that's better than using tobacco.
Old 09-04-18, 04:05 AM
Maelochs

Originally Posted by cyclintom
Cigarettes are another case of a nervous habit. They are a habit that can be easy overcome with nothing more than will-power. Are they deadly? Most assuredly - my father and his two brothers died from them.

The point of this that they are habit forming and not addictive in the medical sense. They release dopamine into your brain causing a relaxation - a good feeling - and you crave that and not you need it or you get biological changes such heroin does.
Actually, Sir, nicotine is a physically addictive drug. A few brief plunges into Google will make that clear. (https://www.drugabuse.gov/publicatio...tine-addictive)

ANY addiction-- a physical addiction where the body's chemistry alters to include a certain chemical, and does nto function "properly" without it, can be quit, by a variety of methods. The point of this thread, as I see it, is not to ague amongst ourselves, but to try to find a method to help One person---the OP--find the method which will best work for him.

As I said above, no matter what method one uses, a support group is always helpful.

A bunch of people bickering over abstruse terminology might have certain value .... but I doubt would be of any value to the OP.

On a side note---we so often accuse people of trolling because they come here, start a discussion, and then leave dismayed to see it turn into a squabble of egos. "I see the OP never bothered to come back," we say as it if is the OP's problem.

We all know otherwsie.

This thread hasn't gotten too bad ... so maybe this is a good place to point out Our habits. E-peen measurement session are Not truly addictive--though they can lead to dopamine release---and we all can quit.

Who's up to form a "Let's not derail the thread with personal BS" support group. I know I need it ... and I know i am not alone.
Old 09-04-18, 07:21 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,098 Times in 5,054 Posts
Y'know, it's possible that in 50 years, it will become clear that the long-term use of clipless pedals causes riders' feet to fall off.

At this point, the likelihood that long-term vaping has risks comparable in severity and likelihood as smoking is about the same order as the foot-removing effect being discovered.
Old 09-05-18, 09:42 AM
kap 7

Bikes: 2007 Specialized Hardrock XC

Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 8 Posts
I'm a smoker but have quit and failed a handful of times for various lengths and have learned quite a bit from them so I think I have some solid advice.

Being sober is excellent and congrats to you on 10mo. ! It is way too easy to give into smoking while under the influence. After a few beers I would talk myself into thinking *i've done good for two weeks ... one smoke would be really nice with this next beer* - anyway you have being sober on your side.

Anyway, back to my advice ...

I suggest:
- staying sober obviously
- pick a quit date
- try your best to gradually reduce smoking going toward that date
- possibly save one last smoke for quit day morning
- make a plan ahead of time to keep you distracted for days as much as possible ... I spent an entire day washing/waxing/detailing every nook and cranny of my car as an example ... but u could do the same with a bike or your home etc
- plan to avoid being around people smoking (or ask them not to while in your sight) or places where people smoke - become a recluse for a few weeks if you absolutely have to
- might wanna consider buying a big bag of lifesavers or something to suck on

The first week or so was rough for me each time I quit but it really became an eye opener when I finally got to the point that I realized ... *hey ...I've went half the day without even thinking about a smoke*

I'm embarrassed I've failed but your post has me reconsidering trying again. I hope my tips are some use to you.
Old 09-05-18, 09:47 AM
Flip Flop Rider

Bikes: 2010 Fuji Absolute 3.0 1994 Trek 850

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 762 Post(s)
Liked 555 Times in 322 Posts
research and try meditation. it is truly an altered state of consciousness that can be attained without using a substance
Old 09-05-18, 12:13 PM
Maelochs

Originally Posted by Flip Flop Rider
research and try meditation. it is truly an altered state of consciousness that can be attained without using a substance
Meditation helped me.

I slacked off though ... as my posting history shows.

But ... I stayed off the drugs and cigarettes.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.