Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Folding Bikes
Reload this Page >

P9 Link Tern

Search
Notices
Folding Bikes Discuss the unique features and issues of folding bikes. Also a great place to learn what folding bike will work best for your needs.

P9 Link Tern

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-23, 06:16 AM
Cathunter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
P9 Link Tern

Hey there. I have a 2013 Tern Link P9. The hinge pivot bolt seems to have moved up and is now only connected to the top half of the hinge. When I undo the latch and open the frame only half the hinge is held on. If this makes sense. Does anyone have any info how I can tighten it ? It has threads on top of the shaft/ rod that I can insert a bolt into to...possibly for removal ? I am wondering what it is connected to at the bottom to stop it coming up and out ?
I am cycling Bangkok to Singapore so the local bike shop is not alot of help at this time
Likes For Cathunter:
Old 12-03-23, 06:40 AM
Ron Damon

Quoted: 463 Post(s)
Liked 567 Times in 356 Posts
Have you purchased life and disability insurance?
Old 12-03-23, 07:40 AM
Cathunter

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Thanks. Most helpful. Not.
Old 12-03-23, 04:29 PM
Ron Damon

Quoted: 463 Post(s)
Liked 567 Times in 356 Posts
Originally Posted by Cathunter
I am cycling Bangkok to Singapore so the local bike shop is not alot of help at this time
I live in and have traveled throughout SEAsia. The region has no shortage of bike shops where you can get your bike checked out and worked on, very often for very little money. Bangkok itself is a bit of a bike mecca. Search for my thread titled the Bikes of Bangkok for a list of places that specialize in folders where they may be able to help you. The problem that your describe really is one that ought to be looked at immediately.

Last edited by Ron Damon; 12-03-23 at 04:34 PM.
Likes For Ron Damon:
Old 12-28-23, 06:41 AM
GordonP

Bikes: Santana Sovereign Tandem, Norco Rampage, Bontrager Privateer S, Motobecane Super Touring, Rocky Mountain Hammer Frankenbike, Marinoni Turismo Extream, Marinoni Special, Tern Link 8

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 9 Posts
There are diagrams available on line and from Tern that may help. If I remember correctly there is a small bolt that holds the bigger pin in place and it can be removed with a hex key. When I had issues with my Tern Link the office here in North America gave me a lot of assistance.
Old 12-29-23, 02:23 AM
Joe Remi

Bikes: Haibike Sduro Trekking SL, Rivendell Appaloosa, Concinnity singlespeed, KHS mini velo (Japan market), Trident Spike trike

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 653 Post(s)
Liked 91 Times in 74 Posts
That's a Tern from the bad old days of frames breaking. You won't be happy to hear this but I think you need to stop somewhere and get a new bike, I don't think continuing to ride this one is wise.
Likes For Joe Remi:
Old 01-12-24, 06:17 AM
Duragrouch

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 750 Post(s)
Liked 418 Times in 334 Posts
As I understand it, the Tern frames broke just forward of the hinge (probably because aluminum has lower fatigue stength, and it didn't have an additional gusset layer that Dahon aluminum frames had in that location). The above had nothing to do with the hinge pin coming out; Have it re-inserted (if you cannot do yourself), check around the hinge carefully for any cracks, and if not, you should be fine. But do also check on any recall, if it has one, they should repair/replace/refund for free.