Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Folding Bikes
Reload this Page >

Folding bike hinge clamps

Search
Notices
Folding Bikes Discuss the unique features and issues of folding bikes. Also a great place to learn what folding bike will work best for your needs.

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-24, 02:49 AM
tudorowen1

Bikes: Brompton S6L ,Bike Friday NWT, Phillips 8 speed folder, Trek 930, Thorn XTC

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 8 Posts

When a folding bike is not in use is it best to open the hinge clamps so they are not in tension or just leave it ready to ride..the hinge clamps are are little like mole grips.

Old 01-23-24, 05:11 AM
Duragrouch

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 750 Post(s)
Liked 418 Times in 334 Posts
Leave it clamped closed. All the parts are metal. You only need to worry about removing tension on materials that "creep" over time under constant pressure, like many plastics, wood, etc. Many metals will creep at high temperatures, but not at room temp.

Also, unclamped, it is MUCH more vulnerable to permanent damage, from inadvertant loading, like falling over and breaking the hinge.

I will tell you, that if not already there, adding a locknut to the adjusting mechanism there is a big plus; Mine would require adjustment about once a month, I thought something wearing, no, just adjustment loosening, put a locknut there, stopped, haven't had to adjust since, over 18 months now, and I ride a lot.

Last edited by Duragrouch; 01-23-24 at 05:15 AM.