Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Singlespeed & Fixed Gear
Reload this Page >

1" headset spacers

Search
Notices
Singlespeed & Fixed Gear "I still feel that variable gears are only for people over forty-five. Isn't it better to triumph by the strength of your muscles than by the artifice of a derailer? We are getting soft...As for me, give me a fixed gear!"-- Henri Desgrange (31 January 1865 - 16 August 1940)

1" headset spacers

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-15, 10:17 AM
t80

Bikes: Kilo TT

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
1" headset spacers

Ugh I have the Mercier Kilo with a 1" threadless headtube and I want to replace the OEM spacers to white ones. I found black and carbon spacers, but no white ones after scouring the Internet. 1-1/8" are all over the place, but the elusive 1" is hard to find. Any suggestions before I just spray paint the ones I have? Thanks.
Old 09-01-15, 10:30 AM
WhatsYoCadence
Annoying Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
As an owner of a bike that has a 1" threadless headset/fork- my advice is to suck it up, buy a 1 1/8 stem and a good shim.

perhaps this one - Thomson Shim for 1-1/8" Stem to 1" Steerer
Old 09-01-15, 10:35 AM
t80

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
oh yeah I know, I run a 1-1/8" stem with a Thomson shim actually. I am talking about the spacers that go underneath the stem. My stem isn't slammed so I have about 5" of space between the bottom of my stem and the headtube. I have OEM spacers now but want to switch to white ones. It is cosmetic, I know, but still, I know they are out there somewhere on the interwebs.
Old 09-01-15, 10:53 AM
krusty
Successful alcoholic

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by t80
...so I have about 5" of space between the bottom of my stem and the headtube.
Pardon?
Old 09-01-15, 10:53 AM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18378 Post(s)
Liked 4,512 Times in 3,354 Posts
Perhaps disassemble, clean, and paint????
Old 09-01-15, 11:01 AM
Secret Squirrel

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 93 Post(s)
Liked 35 Times in 21 Posts
I had the same issue locating titanium headset spacers. I ending up searching ebay and located a single source that had decent quality.
My suggestion would be to get a set of cheap 1" carbon spacers from Performance Bike and paint them. Forté Carbon Fiber Headset Spacer Kit
Aluminum spacers tend to be powder coated or anodized for color. Paint on aluminum would not hold up without some serious prep work.
Old 09-01-15, 11:06 AM
t80

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Something not clear Krusty?
Old 09-01-15, 11:07 AM
t80

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Secret Squirrel
I had the same issue locating titanium headset spacers. I ending up searching ebay and located a single source that had decent quality.
My suggestion would be to get a set of cheap 1" carbon spacers from Performance Bike and paint them. Forté Carbon Fiber Headset Spacer Kit
Aluminum spacers tend to be powder coated or anodized for color. Paint on aluminum would not hold up without some serious prep work.
Yeah--that's what Ill probably end up doing. Just so much easier to click "buy" on Amazon and they magically appear 2 days later.
Old 09-01-15, 11:18 AM
krusty
Successful alcoholic

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by t80
Something not clear Krusty?
No, it's clear. It's just that 5" is an exceptionally large stack of spacers, by any standard. Why so much? Can you post a pic of the bike setup?
Old 09-01-15, 11:21 AM
t80

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by krusty
No, it's clear. It's just that 5" is an exceptionally large stack of spacers, by any standard. Why so much? Can you post a pic of the bike setup?
I may have overestimated a tad. It is just how the Kilo came. Kilo TT Stripper - Pedal Room
Old 09-01-15, 11:26 AM
krusty
Successful alcoholic

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by t80
I may have overestimated a tad. It is just how the Kilo came. Kilo TT Stripper - Pedal Room
Fair enough. I was just concerned that you were using the spacers to compensate for a poorly sized bike. A physiological accommodation is one reason for a high stack, as is an owner still trying to decide how much to cut. In this case, slowly moving spacers from underneath to the top before deciding on a final cut is reasonable. Looking at your pictures, your frame is small, but it's not a bad setup.

That being said, if you Google 'white 1" headset spacers', a few options pop up, but searching within some results is required. White carbon is fairly easy to find.
Old 09-01-15, 11:33 AM
t80

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
So I actually slammed by stem but never cut it. I have been riding around a bit and while I love the increased responsiveness in turning, it is not very comfortable on my arms and back. My arms are pretty much locked at the elbows. So I got a Cinelli Ant 60mm stem in the hopes it will raise my posture a tad. If not, I am contempt riding with spacers as it is far more comfortable. I have also considered the Velo Orange Tall stack Stem as an alternative.

As for the Google search, I too did that but when you click on any of the links, it is only for 1-1/8". Google apparently cannot distinguish that the "1" in "1-1/8" is not what I am looking for. Ill check out white carbon though as I never heard of that. Last option is spray paint if the Cinelli Ant doesn't help out.

Last edited by t80; 09-01-15 at 11:35 AM. Reason: typo
Old 09-01-15, 11:50 AM
krusty
Successful alcoholic

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Took a bit of looking, but I'm sitting around at home sick today;

1 inch White Aluminum Threadless Headset Spacer Spacers 10mm Bag of 5 for $10
Old 09-01-15, 11:55 AM
t80

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Took a bit of looking, but I'm sitting around at home sick today;

1 inch White Aluminum Threadless Headset Spacer Spacers 10mm Bag of 5 for $10
Holy ****! I've been searching for HOURS! What did you type into the Google Machine to get this result? Thanks Krusty!

Also, I noticed you said my frame looks a little small. You think? I always thought it was big on me. My nuts just ever so delicately graze the top tube. I am 6'3" and my frame is 60cm! (57cm in Kilo TT c-c measuring)

Thanks again for the link and feel better man!
Old 09-01-15, 12:02 PM
krusty
Successful alcoholic

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
It was on about page 3 of a Google search for 'white 1" headset spacers'.

As for your frame, it's definitely not too big. With the way you have it set up, it may be just right. It's hard to tell without seeing you on it, though.
Old 09-01-15, 12:07 PM
t80

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
It was on about page 3 of a Google search for 'white 1" headset spacers'.

As for your frame, it's definitely not too big. With the way you have it set up, it may be just right. It's hard to tell without seeing you on it, though.
wow-dedication! Thanks again. Yeah, the frame "fits" me according to the conventional wisdom. I just hate the spacers. I want to slam the stem so bad. Purely for aesthetics, although I did like the improved handling too. I often wished it were a threaded head tube so i could just rock a sick quill and be done with it, but alas, the dreaded spacers look like they will be with me till the end. Unless that 60mm Cinelli Ant Stem does the trick. Then off to the chopping block for the steerer tube. Thanks again Krusty! Ill be updating Pedal Room shortly with the new components.
Old 09-01-15, 02:20 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4357 Post(s)
Liked 3,995 Times in 2,666 Posts
They don't have white 1" spacers but Interloc Racing Designs sells various colored spacers in both 1in and 1 1/8in. If your local shop has an account with Merry Sales, you can order them through your local shop if not you can probably get them via the IRD website?

Mostly the note was for those looking for other colors in various sizes. I wasn't specifically looking for white.