Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Recreational & Family
Reload this Page >

Is it even reasonable to think about riding with three little kids?

Search
Notices
Recreational & Family Ride just to ride? Have a family and want to get them into cycling? Drop in here to discuss recreational and family cycling issues.

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-16, 02:19 PM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

Bikes: Stormchaser, Paramount, Tilt, Samba tandem

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3126 Post(s)
Liked 2,105 Times in 1,369 Posts

The kiddo is now past 2 and my wife has twins on the way... when the twins are 1yo, the kiddo will be a preschooler, nearly 4.

My wife has good intentions but seldom rides, really, and she despises towing the trailer, so I'm looking for ways for me to take all the kids. Is it foolish to even think about riding with this brood until the oldest one can ride himself? I've been trying to think of some configuration of kid seat, trailer, tandem, whatever that would allow me to take all these kids.

I'm hoping to get the kiddo on a kidback setup as soon as I reasonably can, but I can't count on him taking to it, and not sure I want to deal with both that and a trailer at the same time.

Same deal with a pedal bike. He'll be getting a 16er around then, and he has a Strider now so I'm not too worried he'll be able to ride it, but I don't really expect him to ride much distance or duration, and how would I keep him in formation?

I could tow the trailer with a single and him in a kid seat. But I feel like he'll be getting too big for the kid seat by then. I could put one baby in the kid seat and the kiddo with the other baby in the trailer, that actually sounds easier to ride, but then I need to worry about kiddo's behavior with the other baby.

Please no one tell me about $3000 Dutch bucket bikes with multiple seats you can't buy anywhere and e-assist. Budget and garage space is already an issue. I've got to do this with bikes I already have and/or stuff I can find easily on Craigslist. I'm definitely upgrading from my InStep to a Chariot, if cycling seems reasonable; or a Bob if it's not. But other than that I'm not sure what to do yet.
Genesis 49:16-17

Last edited by Darth Lefty; 08-11-16 at 03:01 PM.
Old 08-12-16, 10:31 AM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

Bikes: Stormchaser, Paramount, Tilt, Samba tandem

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3126 Post(s)
Liked 2,105 Times in 1,369 Posts
Moderator:Request lock or delete. I started another version of this thread in General Cycling and it's a lot more successful
Genesis 49:16-17