Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Training & Nutrition
Reload this Page >

Question on Judging a Ride's Real Training Effect

Search
Notices
Training & Nutrition Learn how to develop a training schedule that's good for you. What should you eat and drink on your ride? Learn everything you need to know about training and nutrition here.

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-18, 07:32 PM
DaveLeeNC

Bikes: 2020 Trek Emonda SL6, 90's Vintage EL-OS Steel Bianchi with 2014 Campy Chorus Upgrade

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 452 Post(s)
Liked 162 Times in 110 Posts

I did a ride the other day in pretty hot weather (95 degrees, sunny, and NC humidity). It was 90 minutes and by the #'s (power meter) not all that intense. In fact two days prior I had done a ride of similar distance/terrain and almost 10% higher Normalized Power for the ride. That earlier ride felt 'strong' but not a big deal. And it was a good 10 to 15 degrees cooler (earlier in the day).

But today's 'easier' ride left me literally exhausted even though it was, as measured by the #'s, a pretty easy ride. So the question is was there really a 'training effect' of a really hard ride?

Thanks.

dave
Old 06-25-18, 07:49 PM
DrIsotope
Non omnino gravis

Bikes: Nekobasu, Pandicorn, Lakitu

Mentioned: 119 Post(s)
Quoted: 4905 Post(s)
Liked 1,731 Times in 958 Posts
Heat will do that to you. I generally find it more difficult to make similar watts per HR numbers when the temperature is high. I did an 81% intensity, 95 minute ride yesterday in low-60ºs, and it was somewhat easier on me than today's 59% effort, which ended at 104º.
Old 06-25-18, 09:41 PM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 3891 Post(s)
Liked 1,940 Times in 1,385 Posts
Is one of your "#'s" a hrTSS number calculated off your HR? If you only go by a TSS calculated off power, you never know your physiological stress.

Whether or no, heat training is the best training. Always ride in the heat if you can. Sounds stupid, but it works very well.
Old 06-26-18, 05:11 AM
jpescatore

Bikes: Trek Domane SL6 Disc, Jamis Renegade

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 365 Post(s)
Liked 305 Times in 217 Posts
For me, it is important to consciously drink more when the heat and humidity kick up - or a ride will feel really hard mainly because I'm getting de-hydrated. In the Washington DC area, that first ride when the temps and humidity are high is always a hard ride, usually can see my HR higher especially on the second half of the ride, when compared to same route done during cooler weather. A month or more of hot weather riding and on that same ride (when I drink more) my HR goes down a good deal, though not all the way back to the cool weather numbers.

I agree about the hot weather training - doing that same route when we get a break in the dog days of summer, I can definitely feel the fitness increase!
Old 06-26-18, 05:50 AM
DaveLeeNC

Bikes: 2020 Trek Emonda SL6, 90's Vintage EL-OS Steel Bianchi with 2014 Campy Chorus Upgrade

Originally Posted by Carbonfiberboy
Is one of your "#'s" a hrTSS number calculated off your HR? If you only go by a TSS calculated off power, you never know your physiological stress.

Whether or no, heat training is the best training. Always ride in the heat if you can. Sounds stupid, but it works very well.
That is an interesting perspective. One negative, however, is that your calorie burn is reduced since your total work output is lower. Or at least I assume this is the case.

dave
Old 06-26-18, 01:16 PM
rubiksoval

Bikes: bikes

Mentioned: 52 Post(s)
Quoted: 2622 Post(s)
Liked 1,429 Times in 711 Posts
It's still work, it's still training. You can't just go off power meters alone when dew points are high, as your body is working that much harder to cool itself.

Once cooler weather rolls around, power numbers will be back up to normal (or higher).
Old 06-26-18, 02:10 PM
asgelle

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1031 Post(s)
Liked 451 Times in 265 Posts
Originally Posted by rubiksoval
It's still work, it's still training. You can't just go off power meters alone when dew points are high, as your body is working that much harder to cool itself.
What work does a body do to cool itself?
Old 06-26-18, 02:21 PM
rubiksoval

Originally Posted by asgelle
What work does a body do to cool itself?
Additional dilation of blood vessels and increased blood flow near the surface of the skin for purposes of cooling through evaporation. Particularly noticeable via an increased heart rate and higher perceived exertion for a given workload.

300 watts when it's 95 degrees is a helluva lot tougher than when it's 50 degrees.
Old 06-26-18, 02:30 PM
asgelle

Additional dilation of blood vessels and increased blood flow near the surface of the skin for purposes of cooling through evaporation. Particularly noticeable via an increased heart rate and higher perceived exertion for a given workload.

300 watts when it's 95 degrees is a helluva lot tougher than when it's 50 degrees.
Work is applying a force over a distance. I can't believe it takes significant work work to dilate blood vessels. Perceived effort can be higher without additional work being done.
Old 06-26-18, 02:33 PM
rubiksoval

Work is applying a force over a distance. I can't believe it takes significant work work to dilate blood vessels. Perceived effort can be higher without additional work being done.
Work is an activity aimed at producing a result.

If you don't think that there's a correlation between your body working harder to cool itself down and a decrease in athletic performance, then I don't know what to tell you.
Old 06-26-18, 02:47 PM
asgelle

Work is an activity aimed at producing a result.
If you want to communicate clearly, you can't start redefining words willy nilly. Work has a clear definition, your usage is not it. I'm not saying the environment doesn't affect performance. I'm only doubtful that the mechanism involves additional work (precise definition) due to cooling.
Old 06-26-18, 03:26 PM
rubiksoval

If you want to communicate clearly, you can't start redefining words willy nilly. Work has a clear definition, your usage is not it. I'm not saying the environment doesn't affect performance. I'm only doubtful that the mechanism involves additional work (precise definition) due to cooling.
Wrong, work has several definitions. One of which is:

noun. 1.activity involving mental or physical effort done in order to achieve a purpose or result.

So thanks for the pointless game of semantics, but it really has nothing to do with anything.

If you're that interested, I'm sure some indepth physiology study will get you better answers than vocabulary trolling.
Old 06-26-18, 03:40 PM
rubiksoval

So how long do you think it'll take for you to educate the rest of the world on the precise definition of work according to asgelle?

“the heart has to work significantly harder on a hot day versus a cool one. This usually means decreased performance that feels quite unpleasant.” -Julien Periard, a physiologist at Aspetar who studies the mechanisms limiting prolonged exercise performance in heat.

And then from the British Heart Foundation, Secondscount.org, and the cooperhealth.org blog:

Your heart works overtime to cope with the hot weather

When outdoor temperatures rise (or you move to, or travel to, a hot climate), your heart has to beat faster and work harder to pump blood to the surface of your skin to assist with sweating to cool your body.
hot weather increases the workload on your heart and the demand for oxygen, especially when you are more active.

Looks like you've got a lot of work ahead of you, agelle.
Old 06-26-18, 03:43 PM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts

I was reminded of this Sunday in Nevada City. (except that it was 400w at 100F )
Old 06-26-18, 03:44 PM
asgelle

So how long do you think it'll take for you to educate the rest of the world on the precise definition of work according to asgelle?
Funny.
Old 06-26-18, 03:51 PM
rubiksoval

Funny.
Yes, words have that potential.

Helps when you understand context.
Old 06-26-18, 04:35 PM
redlude97

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 1975 Post(s)
Liked 232 Times in 173 Posts
Try to do an FTP indoors with and without adequate cooling/fans. See if you can hit the same numbers. A power meter(and the measure of mechanical work being put into the bike) is only one measure, and an estimate of the amount of physiological work being done at a set efficiency which is affected by many factors.
Old 06-26-18, 04:41 PM
asgelle

Originally Posted by redlude97
Try to do an FTP indoors with and without adequate cooling/fans. See if you can hit the same numbers. A power meter(and the measure of mechanical work being put into the bike) is only one measure, and an estimate of the amount of physiological work being done at a set efficiency which is affected by many factors.
What is physiological work? I've never seen that before. What do you mean by efficiency? Work produced per energy consumed?
Old 06-26-18, 04:49 PM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18381 Post(s)
Liked 4,512 Times in 3,354 Posts
I'm not sure if I think of a single short ride as having much of a "training effect", although perhaps a bit of a fatigue effect.

Sometimes I can feel a bit of an after-effect the day after, but if I have a rest (slow) day, the second day after is generally ok, except in the cases of extreme efforts (150+ mile rides can take a couple of recovery days, and can also have some long-term effects from a single ride).

Anyway, if you had a couple of days rest, then I'd attribute a hard or easy ride on weather, mood, food, wind, etc.
Old 06-26-18, 04:55 PM
redlude97

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 1975 Post(s)
Liked 232 Times in 173 Posts
What is physiological work? I've never seen that before. What do you mean by efficiency? Work produced per energy consumed?
physiological work is the work done by metabolism of energy stores, and can be measured directly through oxygen consumption/respiration. Efficiency is as you guessed. Which we estimate is ~25% for converting power meter work to calories burned but varies person to person and with conditions.
Old 06-27-18, 08:58 AM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 18883 Post(s)
Liked 10,646 Times in 6,054 Posts
How many miles per taco you get is affected by many things (apart from what you put in the tacos).
Old 06-27-18, 10:30 AM
work4bike

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 3780 Post(s)
Liked 1,048 Times in 792 Posts
Originally Posted by Carbonfiberboy

I agree with Carbonfiberboy and there are studies to show this is no joke...

https://www.outsideonline.com/209855...-training-heat

Studies have found that, in addition to an increased rate of perspiration, training in the heat can increase an athlete’s blood plasma volume (which leads to better cardiovascular fitness), reduce overall core temperature, reduce blood lactate, increase skeletal muscle force, and, counterintuitively, make a person train better in cold temperatures. In fact, heat acclimation may actually be more beneficial than altitude training in eliciting positive physiological adaptations, says Santiago Lorenzo, a professor of physiology at Lake Erie College of Osteopathic Medicine and a former decathlete at the University of Oregon.
Old 06-27-18, 12:28 PM
DrIsotope
Non omnino gravis

Bikes: Nekobasu, Pandicorn, Lakitu

Mentioned: 119 Post(s)
Quoted: 4905 Post(s)
Liked 1,731 Times in 958 Posts
So what they're saying is, I don't get cold when riding in the winter because I ride in the summer when it's as hot as a blast furnace. Well, I can't argue it. I dress the same for 40º and 100º.
Old 06-27-18, 01:35 PM
colombo357

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 120 Post(s)
Liked 30 Times in 12 Posts
Originally Posted by DaveLeeNC
I did a ride the other day in pretty hot weather (95 degrees, sunny, and NC humidity). It was 90 minutes and by the #'s (power meter) not all that intense. In fact two days prior I had done a ride of similar distance/terrain and almost 10% higher Normalized Power for the ride. That earlier ride felt 'strong' but not a big deal. And it was a good 10 to 15 degrees cooler (earlier in the day).

But today's 'easier' ride left me literally exhausted even though it was, as measured by the #'s, a pretty easy ride. So the question is was there really a 'training effect' of a really hard ride?

Thanks.

dave
A hard ride in bad conditions helps your body adapt to riding hard in bad conditions. To that effect, there is certainly a training benefit.

As to whether it'll increase your FTP or something of the like, probably not.
Old 06-27-18, 04:50 PM
DaveLeeNC

Originally Posted by colombo357
A hard ride in bad conditions helps your body adapt to riding hard in bad conditions. To that effect, there is certainly a training benefit.

As to whether it'll increase your FTP or something of the like, probably not.
If you look at the interesting link provided br work4bike (#22), there could well be an ftp benefit here.

dave

ps. Thx, W4B

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.