Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Saddle?

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-18, 06:12 PM
Weakbikr

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 87 Post(s)
Liked 28 Times in 9 Posts
Saddle?

Hello all, I know saddle comfort is relative to fit but is there a general consensus on which saddles are typically more comfortable than others? The saddle on my old bianchi was comfortable, as was the fizik on my father in laws bianchi. The saddle on my new bike is terrible. Could it be I took a week or so off of riding along with the combination of a new saddle that's hurting me so bad? I mean I feel like I'm starting over again. I hate to spend money on another saddle right now. I feel like I need to give my butt some adjustment time. What do you guys and girls think? For reference what I have now is a selle Italia but not sure what model.
Old 07-24-18, 06:14 PM
Weakbikr

Also want to note that on my daily after work rides I'm riding about 10 miles a day in gym shorts. I use my padded shorts for my saturday rides cause they are usually the 20 to 30 mile range.
Old 07-24-18, 06:25 PM
Bah Humbug
serious cyclist

Bikes: S1, R2, P2

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9334 Post(s)
Liked 3,679 Times in 2,026 Posts
It's hard to tell. A week off shouldn't be like starting over though, but it can certainly take time to adjust to a new saddle. Or it might just not work for you. Can you not switch the old saddle to the new bike?
Old 07-24-18, 06:35 PM
etw

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
You might consider some adjustments to the saddle- up/down, fore/aft, angle up/down. Sometimes small adjustments can make significant differences.
Old 07-24-18, 07:04 PM
deapee
Ride On!

Bikes: Allez DSW SL Sprint | Fuji Cross

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 227 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Keep looking until you find a saddle you don’t know is there. For me, that was the Fabric Scoop Shallow.
Old 07-24-18, 07:09 PM
Weakbikr

Originally Posted by Bah Humbug
It's hard to tell. A week off shouldn't be like starting over though, but it can certainly take time to adjust to a new saddle. Or it might just not work for you. Can you not switch the old saddle to the new bike?
the old bike got sold and the fizik is on my father in laws old bike. I'm sure he'd let me trade him but I'd like to try and adjust to this one first. I did already adjust the fore and aft this morning. That feels pretty decent. I just lowered it a little. Took it around the block seems to fit better now. I'll know a little better after tomorrow afternoons ride. I'm kinda thinking the saddle may work. I'm not gonna give up on it yet. It may take me a few days to get it dialed in.
Old 07-24-18, 08:02 PM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Bikes: 2018 Rodriguez Custom Fixed Gear, 2017 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2015 Bianchi Pista, 2002 Fuji Robaix

Mentioned: 235 Post(s)
Quoted: 6844 Post(s)
Liked 736 Times in 469 Posts
Fabric.

https://fabric.cc/products/saddles/

-Tim-
Old 07-24-18, 08:18 PM
Weakbikr

Originally Posted by TimothyH
thank you. They look nice and dont seem terribly expensive. I really need to measure my sit bones and see what size I am.
Old 07-24-18, 08:33 PM
f4rrest
Farmer tan

Bikes: Allez, SuperSix Evo

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2870 Post(s)
Liked 28 Times in 23 Posts
Originally Posted by Weakbikr
thank you. They look nice and dont seem terribly expensive. I really need to measure my sit bones and see what size I am.
How to measure:

Close the toilet lid.

Put towel on the lid.

Put a sheet of aluminum foil on the towel.

Wear only your briefs.

Sit down on the foil, not moving around. Lean forward about the same angle you'd ride the bike.

Stand up.

Notice the two dents left in the foil from your ischial tuberosities. Mark their centers with a marker.

Measure the distance between the marks.
Old 07-25-18, 12:48 AM
Bryan C. 
nothing to see here

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 218 Post(s)
Liked 145 Times in 78 Posts
Originally Posted by f4rrest
How to measure:

Close the toilet lid.

Put towel on the lid.

Wear only your briefs.

Sit down on the foil, not moving around. Lean forward about the same angle you'd ride the bike.

Stand up.

Notice the two dents left in the foil from your ischial tuberosities. Mark their centers with a marker.

OK, made my measuerment. Now what? Lol.

I keep finding different opinions on what size seat to buy using my actual measurement. For me it was 124mm. Some say to add 25mm to 30mm, other say add 15mm and buy that width seat. Then I saw Specialized says certain ranges should buy certain sized seats. I am currently using a 143mm but looking for something more comfortable.
Old 07-25-18, 12:50 AM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4560 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts
Fit makes a big difference in saddle comfort. My low end Selle Italia (SLS Kit Carbonio, only $30) has about the same amount of padding as a Fizik and I was a bit worried it would feel like an a$$ hatchet, but it took only a few rides and tweaks to be perfect. But minor adjustments in saddle height, fore/aft position and angle made significant differences. Once it got those dialed in I hardly notice the saddle. But if it was off as little as 1/8" to 1/4" anywhere my sit bones complained.

And I'm wearing AeroTech Pro shorts with minimal padding on the road. Only time I wear more thickly padded shorts is when the bike is on the trainer, since I tend to sit more heavily in the saddle.

Regarding width, I'd assumed 140 or so was right for me, but my Selle Italia is 131mm and it's more comfortable. Turns out my sit bones are narrower than I'd realized. Any wider in a firm road saddle felt wrong, although I like wider saddles on my hybrids since I sit more upright.
Old 07-25-18, 04:52 AM
Weakbikr

How to measure:

Close the toilet lid.

Put towel on the lid.

Wear only your briefs.

Stand up.

thanks, very easy way to do it. Now, how much width do I add to get the proper sized saddle?
Old 07-25-18, 02:32 PM
memebag

Bikes: 2017 Cannondale CAAD12 105, 2014 Giant Escape City

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 820 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by TimothyH
I bought a Fabric saddle to replace my torn Selle Royal Seta S1. It was too curved and pressed on my taint. I tried to get a less curved version and the bike shop said it would be weeks before they got it. They only stock cushy, curved saddles. So I went on eBay and found a flat, hard Selle Royal I could get in a couple of days.
Old 07-25-18, 02:41 PM
CerveloJoe

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Try your father-in-laws saddle and if it feels much better, let me know. I have several different Fizik's for sale here for very good prices. They are all almost brand new.
Old 07-25-18, 03:19 PM
Patriot1

Bikes: (2) 2019 Specialized Roll Sports, 1992 Merlin Road Ti, 1986 Schwinn Peloton, 2 Trek 920’s,

Quoted: 153 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 9 Posts
No break in..a high quaility leather saddle made here in the US. I own 4, enjoying total comfort while riding.

https://selleanatomica.com/

Last edited by Patriot1; 07-25-18 at 03:22 PM.
Old 07-25-18, 03:57 PM
Weakbikr

Originally Posted by CerveloJoe
Try your father-in-laws saddle and if it feels much better, let me know. I have several different Fizik's for sale here for very good prices. They are all almost brand new.
sounds good
Old 07-25-18, 03:58 PM
Patriot1

Bikes: (2) 2019 Specialized Roll Sports, 1992 Merlin Road Ti, 1986 Schwinn Peloton, 2 Trek 920’s,

How to measure:

Close the toilet lid.

Put towel on the lid.

Wear only your briefs.

Stand up.

Another option - just go by your LBS and wearing your riding shorts and get your sit bones measured acturately on this device.
Worked perfect for for my wife and I. Then we had a professional bike fit, money totally well spent.
I did not want to waste $$$ and then own a box of saddles that never worked.

FWIW...

Old 07-25-18, 04:03 PM
Weakbikr

Originally Posted by Patriot1
No break in..a high quaility leather saddle made here in the US. I own 4, enjoying total comfort while riding.

https://selleanatomica.com/
so coming from another saddle you had no irritation? Was there any adjustment time for you to get used to it?
Old 07-25-18, 04:15 PM
Patriot1

so coming from another saddle you had no irritation? Was there any adjustment time for you to get used to it?
Zero irritation and no adjustment time or break-in. In fact when my first SA arrived I installed it and took a short ride
in normal daily wear cotton shorts, total comfort. I then knew that with lycra chamois riding shorts this was the saddle for me. As mentioned I own 4 SA’s now one of which is on my wife’s bike a Trek 920. She loves the comfort of her SA saddle. SA gives very clear instructions on how to properly mount their saddles for proper figment. 30 day return if your not happy. Best of luck with your saddle search.

My latest SA H2- vintage/silver

SA H2 mounted on my Merlin Ti.

Last edited by Patriot1; 07-25-18 at 04:23 PM.
Old 07-25-18, 06:32 PM
Weakbikr

Originally Posted by Patriot1

Zero irritation and no adjustment time or break-in. In fact when my first SA arrived I installed it and took a short ride
in normal daily wear cotton shorts, total comfort. I then knew that with lycra chamois riding shorts this was the saddle for me. As mentioned I own 4 SA’s now one of which is on my wife’s bike a Trek 920. She loves the comfort of her SA saddle. SA gives very clear instructions on how to properly mount their saddles for proper figment. 30 day return if your not happy. Best of luck with your saddle search.

My latest SA H2- vintage/silver

SA H2 mounted on my Merlin Ti.

man thays pretty awesome.
Old 07-25-18, 06:40 PM
Patriot1

man thays pretty awesome.
Thanks, so comfortable...almost like sitting in a soft leather hammock
Old 07-25-18, 07:19 PM
motosonic

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 275 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
I'm sure they're super comfortable, but, I just can't stand the way the Brooks and Selle Anatomica saddles look
Old 07-26-18, 04:58 AM
gettingold

Bikes: 2018 Lynskey R 260 Disc; 2008 Trek 4.7 Madone; 2017 Framed Minnesota 3.0 Fat Bike; 1984 Nishiki International

Quoted: 111 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Brooks C15 carved. I have three Brooks saddles which I love but the Cambium is the easiest. No break-in, no concern about weather damage, long lasting and very comfortable.
Old 07-29-18, 05:21 AM
Patriot1

Originally Posted by motosonic
I'm sure they're super comfortable, but, I just can't stand the way the Brooks and Selle Anatomica saddles look
I like the look of both...and function or total comfort over form just make sense for me. That said beauty is in the eye of the beholder.