Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational)
Reload this Page >

Didn't those used To be called Hybrids?

Search
Notices
Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational) This has to be the most physically intense sport ever invented. It's high speed bicycle racing on a short off road course or riding the off pavement rides on gravel like : "Unbound Gravel". We also have a dedicated Racing forum for the Cyclocross Hard Core Racers.

Didn't those used To be called Hybrids?

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-23, 11:22 AM
cellery

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked 31 Times in 12 Posts
Originally Posted by tyrion
Downcountry is a hybrid of trail and XC.
So, like, just mountain biking then.
Old 06-16-23, 09:36 PM
corwin1968

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked 32 Times in 18 Posts
I still consider the hybrids of the mid-90's to define that term. As others have stated, they were literally a hybrid of a road bike and mountain bike and they were designed to be ridden on pavement and on relatively modest off-road terrain. They even had names like "Multi-Track" and "Crossroads". I consider today's gravel bikes to be more sophisticated and higher level evolutions of those bikes, including more tire clearance and drop bars, which many people prefer for longer distances.

I prefer good old MTB bars for just riding around and the Jones bar for longer rides. This bike is functionally identical to my 1995 Trek 730 Multi-track, with the exception of having more tire clearance and a much longer front end.

Likes For corwin1968:
Old 06-19-23, 09:25 AM
prj71

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 2976 Post(s)
Liked 1,182 Times in 771 Posts
Originally Posted by LesterOfPuppets
That's what I thought 'til last night. Nothing DH at all about 'em. I think what threw me is having "down" in the name.

They're basically just slightly less racy than XC bikes, more racy than Trail bikes, as far as I can tell.
The head tube angle leans toward the downhill aspect and the shorter suspension travel leans toward XC. That's how it works.
Old 09-10-23, 02:41 AM
Metieval

Bikes: Road bike, Hybrid, Gravel, Drop bar SS, hard tail MTB

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1218 Post(s)
Liked 298 Times in 214 Posts
Originally Posted by mr,grumpy
What they are touting as the new big trend: Flatbar Gravel Bikes. Didn't those used to be Hybrids a couple of years ago, and super un-cool?
Hybrids used to be uncool, apparently they still are with some people. I for one welcome them. If I could have my 90s hybrid with thru axle, disc brake, carbon bars , wheels, seat post, 1x , that fits at least 2.35.
I'd rock it!

I built this 1991 Schwinn frame. (Made by Giant) it was a fun bike although very flexible, that fork was interesting to ride.

Last edited by Metieval; 09-10-23 at 02:50 AM.
Old 09-10-23, 05:38 AM
Trakhak

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 2490 Post(s)
Liked 2,958 Times in 1,681 Posts
Originally Posted by msu2001la
I'll never understand why some people think pointing out similarities between "hybrid bikes" and "gravel bikes" is some kind of insult.
Reminds me of the Jerry Seinfeld episode where he keeps protesting: "It's not a man purse! It's a carryall!"

Edit:

Go to the "Hybrids" section here and click on the earliest page ("Last Page"). There's a very long thread there that preserves a (sometimes bitter) debate over whether the lowly hybrid deserved its own subforum. Pretty hilarious.

Just checked. It's the thread at the bottom of that page. Well worth a read, for as long as you can stand it.

Last edited by Trakhak; 09-10-23 at 06:08 AM.
Old 09-10-23, 08:19 AM
plumberroy

Bikes: Surly long haul trucker, Surly steamroller,Huffy Catalina, Univega Alpina 501. Gravity deadeye monster, Raliegh sport , Electra loft 1

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 607 Post(s)
Liked 298 Times in 181 Posts
If it gets someone out riding and makes them smile, who cares what you call it? At 61 and almost 40 years of construction and industrial maintenance work catching up with me , drop bars don't work for me anymore so are all my bikes hybrid? My "gravel bike" is a Bikesdirect Gravity 29 plus it what I ride when I know there is a lot of dirt and gravel to cross. If it gets someone out riding it's good bike
Likes For plumberroy:
Old 09-10-23, 09:38 AM
base2 
I am potato.

Bikes: Only precision built, custom high performance elitist machines of the highest caliber. 🍆

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 1790 Post(s)
Liked 1,631 Times in 934 Posts
A gravel bike is a hybrid thats suitably optimized for all roads. Road bike like performance, speed & aerodynamics with mountain bike like gearing and tires for rough surface textures on steep roads.

As opposed to the historical term "hybrid" which is best applied to bikes intended for flat, smooth paved paths and recreational uses; Bikes with low mountainbike like gearing for untrained/weak legs to traverse neighborhood hills and upright geometry for those uninterested in speed, aerodynamics or hours upon hours spent in the saddle. "Flatbar non-mountainbike" is perhaps a better descriptor.

Gravel bikes and "hybrids" of yesteryear have very different intended uses.

Car dependency is a tax.
Old 09-10-23, 09:46 AM
zandoval 

Bikes: Univega, Peu P6, Peu PR-10, Ted Williams, Peu UO-8, Peu UO-18 Mixte, Peu Dolomites

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 969 Post(s)
Liked 1,632 Times in 1,048 Posts
Flat Bar Gravel? Oh... No... Its a Mountain Bike!

ebay: 1980's Vintage Mountain Specialized Stumpjumper 19" Frame 3x6 XT Chromoly
Old 09-10-23, 09:54 AM
zandoval 

Bikes: Univega, Peu P6, Peu PR-10, Ted Williams, Peu UO-8, Peu UO-18 Mixte, Peu Dolomites

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 969 Post(s)
Liked 1,632 Times in 1,048 Posts
I think extending the versatility of just about any type of bike is not so much in changing the bars but by simply getting a secondary wheel set.

My Frankenized bikes have meticulously similar wheel sets with various tire to rim configurations. In just a matter of minutes I can exchange my wheel set for my impending terrain on each of the bikes.

They become not so much a Hybred but rather a Chimera... Ha

Originally Posted by plumberroy
If it gets someone out riding and makes them smile, who cares what you call it? ... If it gets someone out riding it's good bike

Last edited by zandoval; 09-10-23 at 09:58 AM.
Old 09-10-23, 06:30 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10970 Post(s)
Liked 7,496 Times in 4,192 Posts
Likes For mstateglfr:
Old 09-16-23, 11:57 PM
tFUnK

Bikes: Too many bikes, too little time to ride

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 432 Post(s)
Liked 461 Times in 318 Posts
Originally Posted by Trakhak
Reminds me of the Jerry Seinfeld episode where he keeps protesting: "It's not a man purse! It's a carryall!"

Edit:

Go to the "Hybrids" section here and click on the earliest page ("Last Page"). There's a very long thread there that preserves a (sometimes bitter) debate over whether the lowly hybrid deserved its own subforum. Pretty hilarious.

Just checked. It's the thread at the bottom of that page. Well worth a read, for as long as you can stand it.
I've been on BF for 20 years and never thought to poke my head inside the Hybrids forum until you mentioned it. Turns out it's actually quite relevant to my interests 😁👍
Likes For tFUnK:
Old 09-28-23, 03:55 PM
Metieval

Originally Posted by tFUnK
I've been on BF for 20 years and never thought to poke my head inside the Hybrids forum until you mentioned it. Turns out it's actually quite relevant to my interests 😁👍
I'm surprised they don't make a legalistic section with subsections. Example, the length of someone's socks.
Another subsection on how snouty is snouty enough?

Hahaha 😂
Old 09-28-23, 04:23 PM
Trakhak

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 2490 Post(s)
Liked 2,958 Times in 1,681 Posts
Originally Posted by Metieval
I'm surprised they don't make a legalistic section with subsections. Example, the length of someone's socks.
Another subsection on how snouty is snouty enough?

Hahaha 😂
No kidding. It's incredible how much condescension toward hybrids and their owners is recorded in that thread. People here sure love their subdivisions of specialty bikes and hate hybrids, aka the minivans of the bike world.

Compare the hybrid forum wars to the one-and-done process for the early brifter bikes subforum. One person made the suggestion, and boom.
Likes For Trakhak:
Old 09-29-23, 07:31 AM
badger1

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1581 Post(s)
Liked 1,189 Times in 605 Posts
Originally Posted by Trakhak
No kidding. It's incredible how much condescension toward hybrids and their owners is recorded in that thread. People here sure love their subdivisions of specialty bikes and hate hybrids, aka the minivans of the bike world.

Compare the hybrid forum wars to the one-and-done process for the early brifter bikes subforum. One person made the suggestion, and boom.
That condescending attitude has been endemic here on teh Biek Formz for ages. I recall a few years back a number of folks popping into the 'hybrid' forum quite regularly to lecture 'us' all about the deficiencies of the sort of bicycle 'we' preferred. Got to be quite a bore after a while. Seems to have died down of late.

Oh well! Anyway, this gives me an excuse to post my 'hybrid'! Flat-bar; crabon frameset; suspension device (FS); 1x; etc. etc. I use it as my road bike -- 32mm road tires -- but a quick tire change (clearance to 40mm) and ... flat-bar 'gravel' bike.

Likes For badger1:
Old 09-29-23, 07:49 AM
wolfchild
Banned

Bikes: I have 3 singlespeed/fixed gear bikes

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 4227 Post(s)
Liked 2,488 Times in 1,286 Posts
Originally Posted by badger1
That condescending attitude has been endemic here on teh Biek Formz for ages. I recall a few years back a number of folks popping into the 'hybrid' forum quite regularly to lecture 'us' all about the deficiencies of the sort of bicycle 'we' preferred. Got to be quite a bore after a while. Seems to have died down of late.

Oh well! Anyway, this gives me an excuse to post my 'hybrid'! Flat-bar; crabon frameset; suspension device (FS); 1x; etc. etc. I use it as my road bike -- 32mm road tires -- but a quick tire change (clearance to 40mm) and ... flat-bar 'gravel' bike.

I would just call it a flat bar gravel bike.
Old 09-29-23, 07:54 AM
wolfchild
Banned

Bikes: I have 3 singlespeed/fixed gear bikes

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 4227 Post(s)
Liked 2,488 Times in 1,286 Posts
I remember a while ago there was a thread in General Forum about the " proper sock length " and also about the " proper sock color "...
Old 09-29-23, 10:57 AM
Inusuit

Bikes: 1995 Specialized Rockhopper,1989 Specialized Rock Combo, 2013 Specialized Tarmac Elite

Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Liked 588 Times in 278 Posts

I don't know what to call this and don't care. Works for me on pavement, dirt roads, light gravel, ranch two tracks, MUPs, etc. Yes, I know it's a "mountain bike." About $150 in narrower tires and shorter stem. Bike was $50 on Facebook Marketplace. A new bottom bracket, chain rings, chain, and crank arms at no cost due to Shimano crank arm recall.
Likes For Inusuit:
Old 09-29-23, 10:58 AM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3,700 Times in 2,520 Posts
Doesn't sound right to have a sock height thread in General. Road maybe. UCI hasn't been enforcing their sock height rules, and riders are abusing that to wear aero socks that are almost knee high
Moving General was a mistake, lots of rif-raf in there now. It's still better than having those same people in A&S, which is where they used to cause trouble.
Old 09-29-23, 11:23 AM
badger1

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1581 Post(s)
Liked 1,189 Times in 605 Posts
Originally Posted by wolfchild
I would just call it a flat bar gravel bike.
I could and did -- in a way -- but I can't really see the point. To me, it's just 'my bike.'
Likes For badger1:
Old 09-29-23, 11:33 AM
campfire

Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked 154 Times in 77 Posts
Hybrids used to be uncool, apparently they still are with some people. I for one welcome them. If I could have my 90s hybrid with thru axle, disc brake, carbon bars , wheels, seat post, 1x , that fits at least 2.35.
I'd rock it!

I built this 1991 Schwinn frame. (Made by Giant) it was a fun bike although very flexible, that fork was interesting to ride.

Is that a Crosscut?
Old 09-29-23, 11:48 AM
Metieval

Originally Posted by campfire
Is that a Crosscut?
Yes it is, it kind of hurt to strip the original paint. But that bike had been beat up pretty bad with a chain in a school bike rack before I bought it.

Likes For Metieval:
Old 09-29-23, 11:55 AM
Eric F 
Habitual User

Bikes: 2023 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2018 Trek Procaliber 9.9 RSL, 2018 Storck Fascenario.3 Platinum, 2003 Time VX Special Pro, 2001 Colnago VIP, 1999 Trek 9900 singlespeed, 1977 Nishiki ONP

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 4957 Post(s)
Liked 8,099 Times in 3,833 Posts

To me, this looks like a manifestation of all the good things that the hybrid concept was intended to be, built very intentionally with a high quality frame and a thoughtful blend of parts, suited to the specific preferences of this individual user. That is a sweet bike. It's not one that fits in my current stable, with the way I ride, but I can see how this would be awesome for some riders.
Old 09-29-23, 11:58 AM
campfire

Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked 154 Times in 77 Posts
Yes it is, it kind of hurt to strip the original paint. But that bike had been beat up pretty bad with a chain in a school bike rack before I bought it.

Nice! I had a 90/91 Crosscut in that paint scheme. I'm now riding a 93(ish) Crosscut:

With the "Glen Bar" and aerobar combination, it doesn't feel or ride like a traditional flat-bar hybrid anymore. And I use it for gravel, so I tend to call this a gravel bike.
Likes For campfire:
Old 09-29-23, 12:10 PM
Metieval

I could and did -- in a way -- but I can't really see the point. To me, it's just 'my bike.'
This, I say "gravel bike" and people are like oh where do you go ride gravel? As in if gravel bikes can only be rifldden on gravel, or something.
Old 09-29-23, 12:13 PM
BMC_Kid 

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 116 Post(s)
Liked 376 Times in 156 Posts
My hybrid, flat bar, city-gravel bike got some new shoes!

Likes For BMC_Kid:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.