Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Folding Bikes
Reload this Page >

Tern D7i Questions

Search
Notices
Folding Bikes Discuss the unique features and issues of folding bikes. Also a great place to learn what folding bike will work best for your needs.

Tern D7i Questions

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-23, 11:51 AM
k0guz

Bikes: 2000 Bianchi Veloce, 2016 REI Mazama hybrid, 2023 Tern D7i folding bike

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked 39 Times in 17 Posts
Tern D7i Questions

I just bought a Tern D7i, and my first impressions are very positive. It's comfortable and sturdy. Here are a couple of questions for those of you who are more experienced:
  1. How hard is it to remove the rear wheel to fix a flat?
  2. Does anybody mount a water bottle on the frame? There are holes for it, and living in the desert, I wouldn't dream of going anywhere without water.
Thanks.
Old 10-18-23, 08:23 PM
sweeks

Bikes: Airborne "Carpe Diem", Motobecane "Mirage", Trek 6000, Strida 2, Dahon "Helios XL", Dahon "Mu XL", Tern "Verge S11i"

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 980 Post(s)
Liked 584 Times in 401 Posts
Originally Posted by k0guz
I just bought a Tern D7i, and my first impressions are very positive.
How hard is it to remove the rear wheel to fix a flat?
It's pretty easy. I saw you posted this question on another site (R****t), and the video
there explains it pretty well.
You have to first shift the hub into the gear with the least tension (Gear 1).
I remove the gear cable from the "cassette joint" a bit differently, which I find easier. Look at the video at 2:11. Instead of using pliers to remove the ferrule from the cassette joint, I just pull the cable housing forward to disengage the ferrule; the inner cable can then be passed through a slot in the cassette joint, and then it's easy to disconnect the cable from the hub. The way the video shows how to do it is completely fine as well.
Once the cable is disconnected, I usually disconnect the chain's master link to free the hub. I have heard that if you loosen the axle nuts and slide the wheel forward, it is possible to release the chain from the chainring. This would avoid disconnecting the chain, but I've never done it this way.
After the chain is off the hub, the wheel can be removed from the frame; remember to release the brake noodle to get adequate clearance for the tire. (If the tire is flat, this may not be necessary.)
Also remember to note the positions of the "non-turn washers" on the rear axle.
Re-installation of the wheel is the reverse of these steps. This may seem like a lot of work, but it's not. I've changes flats on the rear wheels of my Nexus-equipped bikes in as little as 20 minutes on the commute to my work. I've since changed my tires to Schwalbe "Marathon Plus" and haven't had a flat in years.
Old 10-19-23, 03:04 AM
Reddleman
iti biking

Bikes: Tern Link D8, much upgraded

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 104 Post(s)
Liked 101 Times in 58 Posts
Consider getting a sausage-style inner tube for the rear to replace the current one. That way you can remove and refit it without needing to remove the wheel.

Standard bottle cages fit fine in the top pair of bolts on the main tube. If you use 1l bottles you may need a side loading cage to clear the handlepost.
Old 10-19-23, 07:57 PM
wesgreen

Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Liked 37 Times in 29 Posts
Wow, glad I saw this; thanks for posting. This makes dealing with my Sram i - motion 3 hub look like child's play. Glad I bought 4 spares. They're simple to replace, too.
Old 01-13-24, 02:47 AM
Duragrouch

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 750 Post(s)
Liked 418 Times in 334 Posts
Originally Posted by Reddleman
Consider getting a sausage-style inner tube for the rear to replace the current one. That way you can remove and refit it without needing to remove the wheel.
A what?! Never heard of a sausage style tube, just looked on amazon, zero. Is it not a continuous circle, with a break, so can be pulled out without removing wheel? I've fixed rear flats without pulling wheel (hard to invert bike in field due to aero bars, and claw-mount rear derailleur hangs loose with wheel off), just half-dismount tire on non-drive size, pull out tube, but harder to find leak than if tube is completely separate. Do tell about what you said above, thanks.
Old 01-13-24, 03:25 AM
Reddleman
iti biking

Bikes: Tern Link D8, much upgraded

Quoted: 104 Post(s)
Liked 101 Times in 58 Posts
https://hollandbikeshop.com/en-gb/bi...inner-tire-pv/

Here you go. Inner tubes by Gaadi are like a sausage so you don’t need to bother about removing a wheel to extract them from within the tyre.

Jeff Bezos doesn’t need any more money but Holland Bike Shop probably does.
Likes For Reddleman:
Old 01-13-24, 05:58 AM
Duragrouch

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 750 Post(s)
Liked 418 Times in 334 Posts
Originally Posted by Reddleman
https://hollandbikeshop.com/en-gb/bi...inner-tire-pv/

Here you go. Inner tubes by Gaadi are like a sausage so you don’t need to bother about removing a wheel to extract them from within the tyre.

Jeff Bezos doesn’t need any more money but Holland Bike Shop probably does.
Yep, exactly how I had imagined it. Learn something new every day. Gonna have to think about that. Gotta be a drawback. Maybe not. Off the top of my head, I'm thinking the rolling dynamics of an overlap joint like a scarf joint, would be better than a butt joint. Maybe not.