Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Disc Brakes Annoyance

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Disc Brakes Annoyance

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-24, 03:56 PM
zymphad

Bikes: Super Cheap gc3 approved Bike

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 572 Post(s)
Liked 52 Times in 30 Posts
Disc Brakes Annoyance

I don't mind or care if other people like or use disc brakes.

But I decided to build a new bike like I did last time. I like my bikes simple. So I decided to go with the R7000 105 because frankly I thought the hoods on the R5800 were rather uncomfortable.

But here is the thing. All new carbon frames, whether it's branded or direct from factory, I chose Winspace, they all require internal routing. And I think anyone who does home maintenance has noticed that internal routing definitely affects the smoothness of mechanical shifting.

So I decided to look into electronic shifting now that I read the batteries last long time and quick charging. Well I can't find Shimano Di2 without hydraulic disc brakes. I have absolutely no interest in hydraulic disc.

The other issue is it's now difficult to find a frame that I want with rim brake support. Almost any new modern frame is disc only.

That's my rant. I wish the bike industry wasn't so fixed on forcing people onto certain standards and was a more open.

So I managed to figure out a build. The only frame I could find within my budget and what I wanted was the Winspace SLC 2.0 with direct mount support. And I just had to put together a custom with 105 R7000 mechanical with Ultegra direct mount brakes, costing me an additional $200 that I didn't want to spend. Annoying.
Likes For zymphad:
Old 03-05-24, 04:06 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18424 Post(s)
Liked 15,572 Times in 7,335 Posts
Don’t spoil your dinner.

Old 03-05-24, 04:15 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10965 Post(s)
Liked 7,492 Times in 4,189 Posts
Originally Posted by zymphad
So I managed to figure out a build.
Ok.
Likes For mstateglfr:
Old 03-05-24, 04:23 PM
Garthr

Bikes: Franklin Frames Custom, Rivendell Bombadil

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 117 Post(s)
Liked 209 Times in 127 Posts
There's always custom frames(carbon or steel) as demanding that prefab frame manufacturers conform to my particularly sensibilities is futile. Myself I'm perfectly content with riding steel frames, rim brakes, friction shifting and 7-speed freewheels as I figure no natter how fast I think I may be going, or not, well here I am. This here/now/fact does not change, can't be sped up or slowed down, and can't be weighed or dimensionalized in any way.

No escaping, nor anything to escape from.
Likes For Garthr:
Old 03-05-24, 04:27 PM
Troul 

Bikes: RSO E-tire dropper fixie brifter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2,979 Times in 1,920 Posts
E-bikes will soon be forced on everyone. Crash for clunkers, the bicycle exchange program. Give them your non E-bike for a cast steel framed E-Bike.
Old 03-05-24, 04:29 PM
cb400bill
Forum Moderator

Bikes: Fuji SL2.1 Carbon Di2 Cannondale Synapse Alloy 4 Trek Checkpoint ALR-5 Viscount Aerospace Pro Colnago Classic Rabobank Schwinn Waterford PMount Raleigh C50 Cromoly Hybrid Legnano Tipo Roma Pista

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 3091 Post(s)
Liked 6,601 Times in 3,785 Posts
Stories like this make me glad that I purchased my Fuji SL2.1 when I did. Carbon frame, Ultegra Di2 11 speed, and Ultegra rim brakes. Great riding 16.5 lb bike.

Old 03-05-24, 04:30 PM
zymphad

Originally Posted by Garthr
There's always custom frames(carbon or steel) as demanding that prefab frame manufacturers conform to my particularly sensibilities is futile. Myself I'm perfectly content with riding steel frames, rim brakes, friction shifting and 7-speed freewheels as I figure no natter how fast I think I may be going, or not, well here I am. This here/now/fact does not change, can't be sped up or slowed down, and can't be weighed or dimensionalized in any way.

No escaping, nor anything to escape from.
I honestly do think when I feel the need to do another bike build in 5+ years from now, my next bike with probably be a steel custom/vintage. I just have zero interest at all in disc brakes, I do my own tinkering and maintenance, I have zero interest in buying new tools to bleed, install, re-align bent rotors etc.
Likes For zymphad:
Old 03-05-24, 04:32 PM
zymphad

Originally Posted by cb400bill
Stories like this make me glad that I purchased my Fuji SL2.1 when I did. Carbon frame, Ultegra Di2 11 speed, and Ultegra rim brakes. Great riding 16.5 lb bike.

Yeah, current road bike environment is extremely toxic if you don't want to join the disc brake bandwagon.
Old 03-05-24, 05:28 PM
georges1
Steel is real

Bikes: 1992Giant Tourer,1992MeridaAlbon,1996Scapin,1998KonaKilaueua,1993Peugeot Prestige,1991RaleighTeamZ(to be upgraded),1998 Jamis Dragon,1992CTWallis(to be built),1998VettaTeam(to be built),1995Coppi(to be built),1993Grandis(to be built)

Quoted: 670 Post(s)
Liked 977 Times in 648 Posts
Originally Posted by cb400bill

Great Fuji and nice color
Likes For georges1:
Old 03-05-24, 05:35 PM
indyfabz

Originally Posted by Garthr
There's always custom frames(carbon or steel)….
And ti, which is the best frame material.
Likes For indyfabz:
Old 03-05-24, 08:11 PM
Atlas Shrugged

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1248 Post(s)
Liked 1,323 Times in 674 Posts
What a sad story. I am glad you shared this because it gives us a fresh insight. I see you have been a member for over 10 years but perhaps you may not have visited the friendly and welcoming participants over in C&V. They would show much more empathy and understanding for your particular problem. Over in General this post could easily be misinterpreted as a pathetic attempt at trolling.
Old 03-05-24, 09:20 PM
70sSanO

Bikes: 1986 Cannondale SR400 (Flat bar commuter), 1988 Cannondale Criterium XTR, 1992 Serotta T-Max, 1995 Trek 970

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1944 Post(s)
Liked 2,164 Times in 1,323 Posts
I think you can still get Ultegra R8050 Di2 for rim brakes. At least a couple online suppliers show it in stock, but I didn’t spend much time.

John
Old 03-05-24, 09:31 PM
Russ Roth

Bikes: 2010 Carrera Volans, 2015 C-Dale Trail 2sl, 2017 Raleigh Rush Hour, 2017 Blue Proseccio, 1992 Giant Perigee, 80s Gitane Rallye Tandem

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1088 Post(s)
Liked 1,026 Times in 723 Posts
I'll agree with you on internal routing, I really dislike it in general and, in particular, not with hydraulic disc. I really dislike having to disconnect and reconnect hydraulic hoses to route them through frames and forks. And there's no doubt that they reduce shift quality. Though my Daughter's bike has a removable plate in the downtube so that there isn't an extra visible hole with electronic shifting its still annoying to route the brake hose through there. As to disc themselves, I've yet to really experience anything about them that doesn't make them superior to rim brake and, between cyclocross, wet mtb rides and races, and commuting in the rain, I really appreciate not wearing through rims and creating a black slurry that has to be cleaned off or it reduces stopping ability. Only ever riding in the dry, quality dual pivot rim brakes and v-brakes are more than adequate to the task of stopping, but in all weather they're def more maintenance, more mess, and more wear.
Likes For Russ Roth:
Old 03-05-24, 09:44 PM
surak

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix, Canyon Inflite AL SLX, Ibis Ripley AF, Priority Continuum Onyx, Santana Vision, Kent Dual-Drive Tandem

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 878 Post(s)
Liked 726 Times in 436 Posts
Not sure how a lockring tool and a crescent wrench for centerlock rotors, the latter also used for rotor truing, or a Torx bit for 6-bolt, is asking a lot or even expected to be new to any home mechanics' toolbox.

Bleed kits are more or less the same and costs as little as $20 off Amazon.

But sure, Big Bike wants everyone on disc brakes as difficult to maintain as rocket science. Luckily, it's all a long con and you can rest assured that if you wait a few years, they'll reintroduce rim brakes as Bike Classic and all will be right in the world again. Except for the high fructose corn syrup in the frames -- whoops, we don't let on that we know too much.
Old 03-05-24, 09:46 PM
slow rollin

Bikes: n+1

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 45 Times in 26 Posts
If I am going disk it's going to be hydraulic. Otherwise I am getting an older bike with rim brakes. I have only been keeping tabs on the bike industry for a decade now, but after seeing how 26in mtb wheels got treated I know the game. Progress, or get left behind.
I still think everyone should try out the new stuff for a while to make a judgement.
Still lots of good used rim brake bikes for sale out there.
Old 03-05-24, 11:14 PM
DangerousDanR

Bikes: Time Scylon, Lynskey R350, Ritchey Breakaway, Ritchey Double Switchback, Lynskey Ridgeline, ICAN Fatbike

Quoted: 465 Post(s)
Liked 547 Times in 307 Posts
Stories like this make me glad that I purchased my Scylon when I did. Carbon frame, Ekar 13 speed, and those fantastic Campagnolo hydraulic disc brakes. Great riding 16.5 lb bike.

The "good old days" are NOW!

But, you know, I did have to bleed the brakes on my other Ekar equipped bike, and a genuine Campagnolo bleeding kit ( they actually are a different size threads ) set me back $40 (The only new tool needed), and it took maybe 5 minutes to bleed the brakes. So two bikes, maybe 4.000 miles, one set of pads (which take maybe a couple minutes to change)and one bleed.

But the brakes work when it is snowing (like today) or raining, or that delightful thing the NWS calls winter mix. Or in the summer thunderstorms that catch you when you were expecting a sunny day. And I will never have to change a brake cable.

P.S. I hope you got the WinSpace Lun Hyper wheels with the carbon spokes. They are fantastic.

Last edited by DangerousDanR; 03-05-24 at 11:16 PM. Reason: Add post script
Likes For DangerousDanR:
Old 03-06-24, 04:38 AM
PeteHski

Quoted: 4415 Post(s)
Liked 4,868 Times in 3,013 Posts
People often moan about internal routing, but it makes bike frame cleaning so much easier without all those cables and guides collecting dirt and grime.

Also these days (at least with SRAM AXS anyway) there are only the hydraulic brake hoses to route, which is a one-off operation.

The new skills required are pretty simple and learning new things is always good for the mind. Whinging about things is not usually productive.
Likes For PeteHski:
Old 03-06-24, 06:48 AM
smd4

Bikes: 1989 Cinelli Supercorsa

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 3513 Post(s)
Liked 2,927 Times in 1,776 Posts
Originally Posted by Atlas Shrugged
perhaps you may not have visited the friendly and welcoming participants over in C&V. They would show much more empathy and understanding for your particular problem.
He doesn’t have to leave here; we’re willing to make the trip.
Likes For smd4:
Old 03-06-24, 07:39 AM
PeteHski

Originally Posted by smd4
None of you guys are even vaguely interested in disc brakes, but still arrive like flies to poop
Old 03-06-24, 07:49 AM
smd4

Bikes: 1989 Cinelli Supercorsa

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 3513 Post(s)
Liked 2,927 Times in 1,776 Posts
Originally Posted by PeteHski
None of you guys are even vaguely interested in disc brakes, but still arrive like flies to poop
What can I say? It's fun to watch you guys get all defensive. When did "General Cycling" become the "Disc Brake and Electronic Shifting ONLY Forum??"

The OP is following your modern mantra almost completely, but dislikes one aspect. And for that, he's told that he's a troll and should be banished.

Very welcoming.

Last edited by smd4; 03-06-24 at 07:54 AM.
Likes For smd4:
Old 03-06-24, 08:41 AM
PeteHski

What can I say? It's fun to watch you guys get all defensive. When did "General Cycling" become the "Disc Brake and Electronic Shifting ONLY Forum??"

The OP is following your modern mantra almost completely, but dislikes one aspect. And for that, he's told that he's a troll and should be banished.

Very welcoming.
I don’t have any objections, it was just my observation.
Old 03-06-24, 08:52 AM
ScottCommutes

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 366 Post(s)
Liked 273 Times in 175 Posts
Keeping up with new tech is part of life, whether you like it or not. Don't believe me, I'll sell you my VGA cables, typewriter ribbons, handsaw sharpening jig, and lantern batteries.
Old 03-06-24, 08:56 AM
BTinNYC 

Bikes: Bicycles? Yup.

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 482 Post(s)
Liked 1,593 Times in 739 Posts
'Everything you love and everyone you know will change and there's nothing you can do about it.'

The 5 Meditations of the Buddha, circa 500 BC.
Old 03-06-24, 09:01 AM
indyfabz

Originally Posted by ScottCommutes
and lantern batteries.
Do you have any whale oil you’re willing to part with? Greenpeace has made that stuff hard to come by. I’ll trade you my Atari 5200.
Likes For indyfabz:
Old 03-06-24, 09:19 AM
Atlas Shrugged

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1248 Post(s)
Liked 1,323 Times in 674 Posts
I appreciate your response and enjoy our back-and-forth banter. However, I kindly request that you post my full message instead of only selecting certain lines. This particular thread made by a long-time active member, seems to have been created solely to stir up conflict and disagreement regarding an issue that has been excessively debated in the past.
Likes For Atlas Shrugged:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.