Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Singlespeed & Fixed Gear
Reload this Page >

how the !@#$ do you get a chain pin back in?

Search
Notices
Singlespeed & Fixed Gear "I still feel that variable gears are only for people over forty-five. Isn't it better to triumph by the strength of your muscles than by the artifice of a derailer? We are getting soft...As for me, give me a fixed gear!"-- Henri Desgrange (31 January 1865 - 16 August 1940)

how the !@#$ do you get a chain pin back in?

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-06, 12:00 AM
In Absentia
Wolfman got nards!

Bikes: '06 Bianchi Volpe, '09 Mercier Kilo TT, '08 Jamis Exile 29er

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I did it once, but it was a real pain and took a long time. The key is to get the chain tool right up against the pin and use something (like tweezers) to hold the pin straight while you slowly screw it back in. The real problem is holding the chain together while you do all of that.

Man's mind, once stretched by a new idea, never regains its original dimensions. –Oliver Wendell Holmes
Likes For In Absentia:
Old 09-21-06, 12:06 AM
rustang
how i roll

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
bigs ups on the signature. i have so many quotes from that book saved in a big list. effing awesome.
Old 09-21-06, 12:13 AM
In Absentia
Wolfman got nards!

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Thanks, I thought it was pretty applicable to the current political situation. When I first started reading it, I was amazed at how modern a lot of the ideas are. I wish I had written down all of my favorite quotes while I was reading it. I'll have to do it next time.

Man's mind, once stretched by a new idea, never regains its original dimensions. –Oliver Wendell Holmes
Old 09-21-06, 12:33 AM
BuddyMike

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Don't pop the pin all the way out.
Old 09-21-06, 12:37 AM
rustang
how i roll

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
next time you read it, huh? haha. it took me 4 years to finally get through it, and when i got to the end, i was like...this is it? that book is so long, with so much going on, the most interesting things (i thought) were the side plots and random stuff. grand inquisitor, etc.

thanks mike.
Old 09-21-06, 12:43 AM
In Absentia
Wolfman got nards!

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I took a little over a year to finish it because, when I was about halfway through, I got too busy with school lit classes to read it. Several months later I picked it back up and had to start over because there was so much going on that I didn't remember it all. I agree that the main plot isn't really that interesting; it's more like a vehicle for all of the really cool stuff that Dostoevsky had to say. The Grand Inquisitor was definitely one of my favorite parts.

Old 09-21-06, 12:50 AM
rustang
how i roll

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
i just kept getting sidetracked with other books, or other endeavors. luckily, the book is pretty disconected as is, so it still made roughly the same amount of sense. i want to get a 'cliff notes' for it, so i can figure out all the **** i missed though. i'm sure theres a ton that just passed me right by.

oh, the part with ivan talking the devil was awesome too.
Old 09-21-06, 06:18 AM
Red Riding Hood
girl anachronism

Bikes: cayne uno

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Um wow, this thread is not appropriate for work! Didn't you do a little seach before hand? There was a whole topic about this, and everyone said about thirty times... "Don't push the pin all the way out!!! YOU'LL BE SCREWED FOR LIFE". I guess not..
Old 09-21-06, 06:28 AM
barba

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by rustang
turns out it was the crazy electronic vibrator that did the trick.

wait, no it wasn't. when i took out the extra link, it made it way too short. eventually i managed to bash the pin back into one of the links i removed enough to put it into the chain tool and push it back all the way in. amazingly enough it worked. patience is not one of my strong suits.

thank you everyone for you help.

rich is indeed good. or was anyway, i haven't really kept up.
Be cautious. The odds of that chain failing are now a great deal higher. I did something like that once. The chain worked well for a month or so and then catastrophic failure. It blew up a deraileur. Single speed chains are cheap, I would consider replacement.
Old 09-21-06, 06:33 AM
GirlAnachronism
Bulldozer

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
bigs ups on the signature. i have so many quotes from that book saved in a big list. effing awesome.
Me too! That is one of my top five favorite books of all time...I read it straight through in two weeks (I was on a break from school and did absolutely nothing else) and was so disappointed when I got to the end...

I just remembered that my band had a song called "Strain in the Drawing Room" (named after the chapter).

Last edited by GirlAnachronism; 09-21-06 at 06:53 AM.
Old 09-21-06, 06:38 AM
dubstylee
meh

Bikes: Rush Hour

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
i was told that you couldn't press the pin back in a KMC chain. some material is apparently sheared off the pins when you use the tool to push them out, so it will be considerably weaker when you push it back in.

was this a load of bs from an LBS to get me to throw down $ for a new chain?
Old 09-21-06, 06:57 AM
dutret
Banned

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by dubstylee
i was told that you couldn't press the pin back in a KMC chain. some material is apparently sheared off the pins when you use the tool to push them out, so it will be considerably weaker when you push it back in.

was this a load of bs from an LBS to get me to throw down $ for a new chain?

I've never had a KMC but with most chains sold today you should never push a pin back in(even if it didn;t come all the way out.) You need to use a special pin or a masterlink to join the chain together.

If rustang doesn't have a brake he should really get a new chain if he had to take a dremel to his.
Old 09-21-06, 07:38 AM
Aeroplane
jack of one or two trades

Bikes: Old-ass gearie hardtail MTB, fix-converted Centurion LeMans commuter, SS hardtail monster MTB

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by dutret
I've never had a KMC but with most chains sold today you should never push a pin back in(even if it didn;t come all the way out.) You need to use a special pin or a masterlink to join the chain together.
What? I've never heard this about anything but Shimano chains with their "snap-off" pin insertion setup. I'd be really curious to learn about these "special pins" for other chains.
Old 09-21-06, 08:02 AM
skelly
anarchy burger

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by dutret

If rustang doesn't have a brake he should really get a new chain if he had to take a dremel to his.
yeah, the thought of a dremeled chain kinda scares me.

now what's this special pin all about?
Old 09-21-06, 09:55 AM
dutret
Banned

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've seen a campy one before too.
Old 09-21-06, 10:07 AM
rustang
how i roll

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
the amount of dremeling i did was so minor, it will never make any difference. i just slightly beveled the lip enough to get it to sit on top of the hole. you wouldnt even be able to notice if i didnt point out that i did it. and i intend on getting a new chain anyway, this just means i dont have to walk to the LBS.

dutret,
there is no masterlink on a kmc chain, so how does one shorten their chain? even if i buy a new one, i will still have to take links out in order to make it fit.
Old 09-21-06, 10:46 AM
unaesthetic

Bikes: https://www.collectornerd.com/item/162

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Old 09-21-06, 10:50 AM
dutret
Banned

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
the amount of dremeling i did was so minor, it will never make any difference. i just slightly beveled the lip enough to get it to sit on top of the hole. you wouldnt even be able to notice if i didnt point out that i did it. and i intend on getting a new chain anyway, this just means i dont have to walk to the LBS.

dutret,
there is no masterlink on a kmc chain, so how does one shorten their chain? even if i buy a new one, i will still have to take links out in order to make it fit.

that probably means that it has straight pins so you can just push one partway out and then back in.

the connection between the pin and the plate is very finnicky I can't imagine any dremeling that would leave the conncection anywhere near as strong as it should be.
Old 09-21-06, 10:52 AM
p3ntuprage

Bikes: a tvt soon to become a s/s...

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
as skelly said, just keep an eye on it.

i buggered up a side-plate like that and didn't realise until the thing had almost completely popped off.

fsnl
sparky
Old 09-21-06, 11:03 AM
rustang
how i roll

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
the lip that got dremeled actually sticks out beyond the link itself so it's not even making contact with anything (which is the way all the pins are in the chain). i'd say i'd keep an eye on it, but i doubt i could find it if tried.
if i throw a chain and die, you can make as many posts blaming me as you'd like. you had pre-emptive immunity.
Old 09-21-06, 11:11 AM
dutret
Banned

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thats also dangerous as it's likely to make a kink in the chain which will increase the likelyhood of throwing it.

Either way it should be fine if you are just going to the shop for a new one and are careful.
Old 09-21-06, 11:45 AM
No_Minkah
YOU ARE NOW TUNED IN

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
If you push the pin all the way out, you can use these to put in a new pin easily.

Old 09-21-06, 01:23 PM
Analog
Bike fiend.

Bikes: Giant STP SS, Trek 400 (Fixed), 1970's Orion, Huffy Flatbed BMX, Vintage Huffy Kids Cruzer, Vintage Sears Cruiser, Trek Prototype Frame (fixed)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by No_Minkah
If you push the pin all the way out, you can use these to put in a new pin easily.

I have a feeling those will be too short on an 1/8" chain. Otherwise they work great. Has anyone seen the equivalent, but for 1/8" chains?

Otherwise, buy a spare masterlink from your lbs. (I always carry one with me)
Old 09-21-06, 02:54 PM
vinnydelnegro

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
the link is actually fine. i took a dremel and filed down the edges on the pin just a tiny bit, so i could get it to sit atop the hole of the link (but not actually go in it). then i just kept trying to smack it in with a hammer. took about 20 tries, but eventually it went in enough that i could put it in the chain tool and push it all the way in. bikes all back together now, happy, safe and sound. tomorrow i'll be putting on new wheels (hopefully) and next week its paint time. woo hoo.
oh man...that sounds like a REALLY bad idea. chains were not meant to be hit with a hammer. i would take that link out or just buy a new chain....they're cheap and on a fixed gear, it's pretty important to take care of your chain....especially if you're going brakeless.

for future reference, you it is possible to get a pin back in when it has come all the way out. it requires the paitience of a saint though. when it happened to me, i had a friend hold the pin in place with some needle nose plyers and then pushed the pin back in with my chain tool. i don't think it's ideal for the pin to come out, but it's far better than using a dremel on the pin and hitting it with a hammer.

edit: oops...i responded to your post at the end of the first page and didn't realize there was an entire second page of warnings. didn't mean to pile on. i still think you should replace the chain though. we are telling you this because we care!!!

Last edited by vinnydelnegro; 09-21-06 at 03:01 PM.
Old 09-21-06, 03:30 PM
rustang
how i roll

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
ha, i appreciate all the concern.
i already bought a new chain, even though i'm pretty confident that mine would have held up fine.
the new one came with a masterlink (as i suppose most new chains do)...is a masterlink really going to be more durable than putting the chain together with regular links? something about a little cotter-pin style connection has me kind of spooked.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.