Search
Notices
Singlespeed & Fixed Gear "I still feel that variable gears are only for people over forty-five. Isn't it better to triumph by the strength of your muscles than by the artifice of a derailer? We are getting soft...As for me, give me a fixed gear!"-- Henri Desgrange (31 January 1865 - 16 August 1940)

Somec?

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-09, 11:49 AM
aspeyer

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Somec?

Does anyone know if somec frames have serial numbers on the BB? I got a bike recently from a friend of my father's, a track frame, steel, lugs, tight geometry, (not for riding on the street if your feet are over a size 6) 80s araya rims, suntour widefange hubs, campy headset cinelli pista bars and a cinelli stem but with somec logo and design embossed on it...the frame was painted over (badly) and there is no headbadge (though the holes are there)...trying to figure out what this is...
Old 05-14-09, 12:30 PM
queerpunk
aka mattio

Bikes: yes

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 344 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 35 Posts
i don't remember where my old somec's serial number was printed. however, lots of companies and builders printed serial numbers in different places at different times. you can't ID a frame based on the location of the serial number.

if the stem is pantographed somec it doesn't mean that the frame is a somec. lots of companies would specially pantograph parts like stems, seatposts, and cranks, and just because one found its way onto this bike doesn't mean much. it's a cool part though. and it sounds like the bike is lovely.

post pictures. there may be hidden clues lurking in the bike's construction. but don't get your hopes up. you might just have to settle for having a sweet bike but not knowing its provenance.
Old 05-14-09, 07:22 PM
Onfixiate
ABQ

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
I went out and checked my old "ten speed" Somec Air (the one with the internally routed shifter cables and top-of-the-downtube mounted shifter boss) and there is a S/N embossed into the bottom bracket shell. There is also a tulip shaped cutout on the bottom of the BB shell.

"Somec" is engraved into the seat stays just below the cluster, and there is no headtube badge on mine, just a decal.

HTH.

Last edited by Onfixiate; 05-17-09 at 08:46 PM.
Old 05-14-09, 10:40 PM
jet sanchEz

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 947 Post(s)
Liked 850 Times in 386 Posts
Originally Posted by Onfixiate
I went out and checked my old "ten speed" Somec Air (the one with the internally routed shifter cables and top-of-the-downtube mounted shifter boss) and there is a S/N embossed into the bottom bracket shell. There is also a tulip shaped cutout on the bottom of the BB shell.
I want this bike, sell it to me!
Old 05-17-09, 08:50 PM
Onfixiate
ABQ

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Sorreee!! I need to overhaul this thing and get it properly on its wheels. It's been (ahem) resting...

If I can find an old photo from its glory days I'll scan it and post over on C&V...
Old 05-22-09, 11:20 AM
aspeyer

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
more on "somec" track frame

Thanks for the input on this question. Here are a few pictures I took here at work, not great, but they give an idea of the stem and frame's overall look. Its a great looking bike, even non-riders remark on it. I guess its the geometry, the simplicity...who knows.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
DSC01666.jpg (98.1 KB, 97 views)
DSC01667.jpg (90.4 KB, 77 views)
DSC01669.jpg (90.2 KB, 77 views)
Old 05-22-09, 12:18 PM
jet sanchEz

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 947 Post(s)
Liked 850 Times in 386 Posts
Take a chain breaker and pop out one or two links and push that rear wheel in a bit, your axle is almost out of the track-ends. One bad bump and you are going to eat it.

Nice bike.
Old 08-20-23, 01:41 PM
Matsbjorn

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts
Maximum one link less..

Maximum one link less..

Originally Posted by jet sanchEz
Take a chain breaker and pop out one or two links and push that rear wheel in a bit, your axle is almost out of the track-ends. One bad bump and you are going to eat it.

Nice bike.
Old 08-20-23, 09:11 PM
SkinGriz
Live not by lies.

Bikes: BigBox bikes.

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 860 Post(s)
Liked 784 Times in 582 Posts
Originally Posted by Matsbjorn
Maximum one link less..
The last reply was 14 years ago.
Likes For SkinGriz:
Old 08-21-23, 12:13 AM
Matsbjorn

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts
Then the chain is probably stretched by now so removing 2 links actually works, my bad.

Originally Posted by SkinGriz
The last reply was 14 years ago.
Likes For Matsbjorn: