Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Lynskey or Litespeed? Why?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-10, 05:27 PM
Hulley

Bikes: 2011 Scott Addict

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I hear some (many) people say that Lynskey is far better than Litespeed. Why is that? They are both made in Tennesse, made from the same grade of Ti (I think I remember reading that) and everybody that owns either one loves them.
If you had two frames of identical geometry, one from Litespeed and the other Lynskey, why would the Lynskey be better?
I'm only asking because I honestly dont know and I have an itch for a Ti frame.

Thanks
Steve
Old 10-26-10, 11:42 PM
buttfish77

Bikes: 2010 Litespeed Xicon, 2017 Giant TCR Advanced Pro 1 Disc

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have a 2010 Litespeed and I like it. I think the main thing is the attention to detail that is evident on the Lynskeys. Ever notice the clover leaf near the rear drop-outs, or the badge on the head tube? My Litespeed has a bunch of cheap decals and that's it. If you look at the Litespeed website these days, it looks like they only have 2 Ti models anymore, the rest are carbon, while Lynskey is expanding its Ti lineup. The LBS I bought my Litespeed from says that the frame material and weld quality are about the same, though. Overall, I'd give Lynskey the slight advantage.
Old 10-27-10, 12:20 AM
Carbon Unit
Live to ride ride to live

Bikes: Calfee Tetra Pro

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
The Lynskey family started Litespeed and sold it in 1999. I think the people at Lynskey are innovators. They are coming up with new ways of building frames that are unique like the Helix which has twisted triple butted tubes. This design allows for a lighter frame that is stiff. I thought that the twisted tubes were a gimmick but according to the reviews, they actually do work well.

I think the people at Lynskey are much more experienced ti builders and I would trust them more than I would the people at Litespeed.
Old 10-27-10, 05:58 AM
Hulley

Bikes: 2011 Scott Addict

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Fair enough, thanks guys!
Old 10-27-10, 06:09 AM
Menel

Bikes: Helix, HonkyTonk, NailTrail

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Carbon Unit
The Lynskey family started Litespeed and sold it in 1999. I think the people at Lynskey are innovators. They are coming up with new ways of building frames that are unique like the Helix which has twisted triple butted tubes. This design allows for a lighter frame that is stiff. I thought that the twisted tubes were a gimmick but according to the reviews, they actually do work well.

I think the people at Lynskey are much more experienced ti builders and I would trust them more than I would the people at Litespeed.
This
Old 10-27-10, 06:15 AM
MrTuner1970
Underwhelming

Bikes: Lynskey R330 Ti, Dean El Vado Ti, Trek 4300

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

+2
Old 10-27-10, 06:42 AM
TassR700

Bikes: Lynskey R230, Gary Fisher Tassajara; Motobecane Boris Fatbike; Cannondale Habit

Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 8 Posts
Personally, I gave Lynskey the nod because of the history. The Lynskey family sold Litespeed in 1999, but once the 5 year non-compete was over, David Lynskey decided he still wanted to build bikes. I liked the idea of buying a bike from a guy that couldn't stay out of the business because he really enjoyed building bikes. I have not regretted it one bit. The Lynskey people were great to work with and I don't think Litespeed would have done the custom flame job Lynskey did for me.
Likes For TassR700:
Old 10-27-10, 03:37 PM
merlinextraligh
pan y agua

Bikes: Willier Zero 7; Merlin Extralight; Calfee Dragonfly tandem, Calfee Adventure tandem; Cervelo P2; Motebecane Ti Fly 29er; Motebecanne Phantom Cross; Schwinn Paramount Track bike

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1447 Post(s)
Liked 727 Times in 372 Posts
plus the American Bicycle has a reputation for janking people around on warranty claims.
OR YOU COULD STAY HOME AND FALL OFF THE COUCH AND DIE.
Old 10-27-10, 03:41 PM
kayakdiver
ah.... sure.

Bikes: Specialized.... schwinn..... enough to fill my needs..

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by merlinextraligh
plus the American Bicycle has a reputation for janking people around on warranty claims.
WTF? please explain
Old 10-27-10, 04:12 PM
andgott

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've done some research, I'm looking to buy a new TI bike myself. I had a Litespeed- And I REALLY liked it. They are (were?) nice bikes- Quality bikes. But, the attention to detail that is VERY evident on the Lynskey bikes just isnt there. The Lynskeys are just gorgeous...

I don't think that you'd go wrong with a litespeed- other than, perhaps, the warranty issues that I've heard people bring up from time to time. But, I'm absolutely confident after speaking with the people over at Lynskey that they are the way to go... I've decided to take the plunge this winter. The factory is in my home town, so I will get to deal with them directly. Should be a lot of fun!

Carbon Units' post about the experience level is spot on- They've got the best of the best working for them.TI is not an easy metal to work with, you've really got to know what you are doing! And- As was also mentioned, they are innovators, not just builders... If I'm going to put that kind of money in to something, I'm more than happy to put just a LITTLE more in, to get the best.
-Andrew
Old 10-27-10, 04:19 PM
andgott

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've done some research, I'm looking to buy a new TI bike myself. I had a Litespeed- And I REALLY liked it. They are (were?) nice bikes- Quality bikes. But, the attention to detail that is VERY evident on the Lynskey bikes just isnt there. The Lynskeys are just gorgeous...

I don't think that you'd go wrong with a litespeed- other than, perhaps, the warranty issues that I've heard people bring up from time to time. But, I'm absolutely confident after speaking with the people over at Lynskey that they are the way to go... I've decided to take the plunge this winter. The factory is in my home town, so I will get to deal with them directly. Should be a lot of fun!

Carbon Units' post about the experience level is spot on- They've got the best of the best working for them.TI is not an easy metal to work with, you've really got to know what you are doing! And- As was also mentioned, they are innovators, not just builders... If I'm going to put that kind of money in to something, I'm more than happy to put just a LITTLE more in, to get the best.
-Andrew
Old 10-27-10, 08:00 PM
merlinextraligh
pan y agua

Bikes: Willier Zero 7; Merlin Extralight; Calfee Dragonfly tandem, Calfee Adventure tandem; Cervelo P2; Motebecane Ti Fly 29er; Motebecanne Phantom Cross; Schwinn Paramount Track bike

Originally Posted by kayakdiver
WTF? please explain

When the Lynskey's owned Litespeed, their reptation was that of a standup company.

There are several threads on here where the ABG treateded Litespeed owners pretty shabbily on warranty claims.

And one of my teammates had a warranty claim on a Litespeed denied by the ABG, when it appeared pretty obvious that the claim was valid.

Now how valid all those issues are is open to debate, but you didn't here about these sort of issues when Lynskey owned Litespeed and a Merlin was a Merlin.

Whether its justified or not, my perception is that the ABG is not a customer friendly instution.

So if I had a choice between a pretty comparable Litespeed and a Lynskey, I'd give the nod to the Lynskey based on history, track record, customer service, and a general disdain for the ABG.

Last edited by merlinextraligh; 10-27-10 at 08:04 PM.
Old 10-27-10, 08:21 PM
doomridesout
Metal Maniac

Bikes: 1973 Fuji Finest fully restored, touring setup. Bianchi Classica with silver lilac powdercoat, fixed gear commuter bike.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
In something like a Ti bike, which is an expensive, but long-term investment, you want to minimize the chances you get a poorly welded one by going with whoever has the most experience and expertise with the material. I think it's probably better to just eat the cost if there's a cost difference and just buy it right the first time, minimizing the potential for cracked welds.
Old 10-27-10, 08:35 PM
StanSeven
Administrator

Bikes: Cervelo C5, Guru Photon, Waterford, Specialized CX

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1106 Post(s)
Liked 2,180 Times in 1,470 Posts

Litespeed now is a company that doesn't know what they want to do. Remember those ads a few years ago where they said nothing is as good as Ti and that's all they would do? Then a couple years later, they announce CF is an alternative? Now they produce both but the Ti hasn't changed much over what they did years ago. Meanwhile Lynsky keeps innovating.
Old 10-28-10, 02:10 AM
d_jokke

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I bought a litespeed Pisgah mtb.
Normal price is 2000 EUR for the frame and I bought for 1600 EUR

A Lynskey M230 IS 1600EUR for the satin finish.
When you want a hand brushed finish you have to pay 300 EUR extra.

That was the reason I have chosen the Litespeed.

Now i'v ordered a Lynskey R230 and cooper.

I think you have to check the geometry of the frames.
If one suites better than the other...

I think warranty issues has also a lot to do with your dealer where you bought your frame...
Old 10-28-10, 07:29 AM
merlinextraligh
pan y agua

Originally Posted by d_jokke

I think warranty issues has also a lot to do with your dealer where you bought your frame...
The two specific incidents I can point to, were totally the result of Litespeed's decision. One, which is in a thread on BF, Litespeed refused to replace a frame for a customer that had a lifetime warranty on the grounds that the comparble new model was an upgrade, and they no longer made his model, and charged the customer a large sum, when they were obligated under their warranty to replace it free of charge.

The ABG bought several very good small bike companies, and then has managed them like crap, tarnishing the value of the brands they acquired.

The incident with my team mate was a cracked chain stay that ABG said was the result of wear and tear. I really don't know how a chain stay cracks fro wear and tear. Litespeed refused to replace or repair that frame. And I'm sure the dealer, which is owned by another team mate did everything they could to lobby for his team mate.
Old 10-28-10, 07:34 AM
merlinextraligh
pan y agua

Originally Posted by StanSeven
Litespeed now is a company that doesn't know what they want to do. Remember those ads a few years ago where they said nothing is as good as Ti and that's all they would do? Then a couple years later, they announce CF is an alternative? Now they produce both but the Ti hasn't changed much over what they did years ago. Meanwhile Lynsky keeps innovating.
I'd agree with most of that, but to give Litespeed their due, the Archon is as least as innovative as the Helix, and that would appear to be about the on ly new siginificant developments from any Ti builders recently.
Old 10-28-10, 08:35 AM
sbxx1985 

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1934 Post(s)
Liked 282 Times in 158 Posts
I considered a Tuscany or Vortex several years ago. To see this from Litespeed is just odd.

Old 10-28-10, 09:02 AM
sbxx1985 

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1934 Post(s)
Liked 282 Times in 158 Posts
If I was set on ti, I'd probably get a Moots.

Old 10-28-10, 09:34 AM
tony2v

Bikes: 1975 Albert Eisentraut, 1992 Bill Davidson, 2006 Moots Compact, 2007 KHS Solo-One, 2010 Van Dessel Drag Strip Courage, 2013 Alchemy Xanthus, 2016 Breadwinner Lolo, 2018 Moots VaMoots RSL, 2019 Chapter2 Tere Disc, 2020 Chapter2 Ao Limited Edition

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked 32 Times in 16 Posts
^ +1 , but then I'm already a Moots owner
Old 10-28-10, 10:18 AM
Fox Farm

Bikes: Merlin Extra Light, Orbea Orca, Ritchey Outback,Tomac Revolver Mountain Bike, Cannondale Crit 3.0 now used for time trials.

Quoted: 126 Post(s)
Liked 55 Times in 34 Posts
Originally Posted by sbxx1985
I considered a Tuscany or Vortex several years ago. To see this from Litespeed is just odd.

Is there anyone at Litespeed who has perhaps paused to say, "hey, if nothing else, our graphics SUCK big time!" People buy bikes that are beautiful. The Orbea Orca is an example of this. Modern day CF bikes are very sexy looking with the color and graphics that can be applied. LITESPEED is bill board sized font is awful.
Old 10-28-10, 10:20 AM
Fox Farm

Bikes: Merlin Extra Light, Orbea Orca, Ritchey Outback,Tomac Revolver Mountain Bike, Cannondale Crit 3.0 now used for time trials.

Oh, forgot - I own a Merlin and it is excellent and pre dates their acquisition by Litespeed.
Old 10-28-10, 10:27 AM
Stickney
Longing for a Tail Wind

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 8 Posts
The Lynskey family founded Litespeed. They then sold to ABG (American Bicycle Group). Since then, Litespeed, from outside appearances, has looked like it is trying to decide what it is as brand. They have dabbled in aluminum, carbon, titanium.

Meanwhile, the Lynskey family has reentered the bicycle business and is making great looking TI frames. That is what they do.

Litespeed used to offer many TI models (in 2005 it was 15+). Now they offer 5 (including MTB). Part of that is probably good business. But, it also seems like they are moving away from TI. In 5 years will they have any TI welders on staff to service warranties?

I say this as a happy Litespeed owner. I just bought a Moto TI CX, but it was a close battle with Lynskey's Cooper CX.
Old 10-28-10, 11:46 AM
Fox Farm

I don't think that you can fault ABG for moving Litespeed's product line towards carbon fiber. It is like Cannondale's aversion to CF and philosophy that their aluminum frames were every bit as good. They might have been but the market changed and they were slightly late to jump in with both feet. Litespeed, in my opinion were also late to really enter the CF market. I can't tell you about the ride of their CF bikes in comparison to 20 other brands who sell CF. I do think that they are not at all aesthetic looking with that massive down tube and bottom bracket area with the ugly huge name LITESPEED. ABG killed their Tomac bike line and I have no idea if they did the same to Quintanna Roo as well. I don't understand why a company would fight with people who are asking for warranty repairs; it seems like a great way to loose customers. If I ran the company, I would fix the frame regardless - it will keep customers on your product and not drive them to the competition out of spite.
Old 10-28-10, 02:15 PM
Paul Y.

Bikes: 2008 Lynskey R220 2005 Lemond

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I also own a Lynskey and I can say I've never heard a negative thing
said about the product or service. I know they pride themselves in
that accomplishment.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.