Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Recumbent
Reload this Page >

EZ-1 vs EZ Sport

Search
Notices
Recumbent What IS that thing?! Recumbents may be odd looking, but they have many advantages over a "wedgie" bicycle. Discuss the in's and out's recumbent lifestyle in the recumbent forum.

EZ-1 vs EZ Sport

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-13, 11:08 AM
volwing

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
EZ-1 vs EZ Sport

I Have a Sun EZ -1 after riding a cannondale for several years. Due to a permanent wrist injury I no longer can ride that bike hence the recumbent. Riding once again is great as my upper body weight no longer pressures my wrist. But the EZ-1 with the 20" wheel is radically slower. Would the Sun Sport CX 26" wheel significantly get me closer to the ease of speed I was used to on the Cannondale?
Old 03-10-13, 12:49 PM
MikeWMass

Bikes: Velosolex St. Tropez, LeMond Zurich (spine bike), Rotator swb recumbent

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked 67 Times in 32 Posts
I'm not an expert on recumbents (but...)
1. The pictures I googled of the EZ-1 don not look like a bike that was designed for high speed.
2. I have a SWB with two 20" wheels (Rotator) and with high pressure tires it is not slower on the flats than my DF. It is slower on hills, most likely because I don't ride it enough to have the right muscles built up (bent legs). I don't think that is going to make a huge difference unless you go to narrower and higher pressure tires, and perhaps not even then.
3. Keep riding, it will get better.
Old 03-10-13, 01:02 PM
cranky old dude

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Based on my experience the EZ-Sport is a much quicker bike than the EZ-1. My wife has a Sun X-1 which is very similiar to the EZ-1.

I've ridden both and the EZ-Sport is a much smoother and faster bike than the X-1. I believe this is mostly due to the fact that both bikes are equiped with the same gearing both front and rear even though the tire sizes are radically different. To get more speed I believe you need to either change bikes such as you've suggested, or change your gearing. I doubt that you can do much with the gearing on the EZ-1 so that kinda puts you in the market for a faster bike.

Though the Gardner Martin designed EZ-Sport is a fine machine, many people get weary of the high seating position that it has. You might consider shopping for a used Rans Stratus or Easy Racers Tour Easy for approximately the same cost as a new EZ-Sport. They are excellent machines and a step or two up in quality.

I own both a Sun EZ-Sport and an Easy Racers Tour Easy and the Tour Easy instantly became my ride of choice.

I've included a couple of pics for reference.

My wife's Sun X-1 which has comparable specs. to the Sun EZ-1 including wheel size (16" front and 20" rear)...

My Sun EZ-Sport. The seat is relatively high for a LWB, though not at all uncomfortable. I've ridden a few centuries on this bike and have no problems riding with the pack at 18+ mph. in the middle chain-ring on group rides. I've exceeded 30 mph several times while in the big ring and found the bike to be very stable.

My Tour Easy. Notice how the seat is a few inches lower than the EZ-Sport. It really makes a big difference in the feel of the bike in my opinion....

I hope you find some of this info useful as you shop.

Last edited by cranky old dude; 03-10-13 at 01:10 PM.
Old 03-12-13, 05:41 PM
osco53
Old Fart In Training

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 16 Posts
Yup the EZ-1 Is what It Is,,a fine bike but not fast..
100 psi tires help a little but that 20 inch rear is a 20 inch rear...

For CLWB the EZ 1 is about as good as It gets...
(Compact Long Wheel Base)

For LWB bikes the Tour Easy and the Rans LWB's are at the top
The Javelin is nice,,You have so many options..
The TE LE model Is my choice,,I had the EZ 1 sx,,I miss it a little but the Tour Easy Is so sweet..

In order,
My TE,,,A Javelin,,, A Rans new model

Last edited by osco53; 11-29-16 at 06:30 AM.
Old 03-13-13, 05:59 AM
trestlehed

Bikes: Santa Cruz Heckler, EZ Sport AX, Lightfoot Rambler, Electra Townie 24D "The Holy Grail of Beach Cruisers"

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
volwing wrote:
I Have a Sun EZ -1 after riding a cannondale for several years. Due to a permanent wrist injury I no longer can ride that bike hence the recumbent. Riding once again is great as my upper body weight no longer pressures my wrist. But the EZ-1 with the 20" wheel is radically slower. Would the Sun Sport CX 26" wheel significantly get me closer to the ease of speed I was used to on the Cannondale?
I don't know what model Cannondale you had, but I can confidently say the EZ Sport will make you happy. I bought mine after doing some online research back in 2002. I ordered one thru my LBS (un-test-ridden even). I suggest you go with the AX (aluminum) version as it is 5 pounds lighter than the CX. Gardener Martin created the Easy Sport as an "entry level"recumbent at a price low enough not scare people off. If you decide to upgrade to a pricier LWB later, the Easy Sport will still sell at a decent price.
Old 03-14-13, 09:29 AM
BlazingPedals

Bikes: Trek 7500, RANS V-Rex, Optima Baron, Velokraft NoCom, M-5 Carbon Highracer, Catrike Speed

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1514 Post(s)
Liked 734 Times in 455 Posts
I think the EasySport will still be slower than a road bike. It's a step up from an EZ-1, but speed-wise it's more like a mountain bike with road tires. A friend noted that when he went from an EasySport to a TourEasy, he picked up a couple miles per hour, and I always considered an unfaired TourEasy as roughly equivalent to a touring bike for 'cruising' speed.
Old 03-16-13, 02:29 PM
bkaapcke

Quoted: 118 Post(s)
Liked 50 Times in 25 Posts
I've been riding an Easy Sport since 2004 and love it. It's not particularly fast but has all the sweaty workout I want. However, this doesn't solve your problem. You ought to look at the Tour easy LE, also from Sun. It has a 700c rear wheel and is much more likely to give you the speed you're looking for. bk
Old 03-16-13, 02:36 PM
Fangowolf

Bikes: 2012 Surly LHT / Motobecane Fhantom CX 105 / Giant Cypress ST / EZ Sport AX / Trisled Touring Trike

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Where are you volwing? Perhaps we can find one for you to try. I have a 2006 sport cx in Houston.
Old 03-17-13, 06:56 AM
osco53
Old Fart In Training

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 16 Posts
Originally Posted by bkaapcke
I've been riding an Easy Sport since 2004 and love it. It's not particularly fast but has all the sweaty workout I want. However, this doesn't solve your problem. You ought to look at the Tour easy LE, also from Sun. It has a 700c rear wheel and is much more likely to give you the speed you're looking for. bk
The "LE" model has been discontinued... due to a too high manufacturing cost. New the price was $2,000 and that was too close to the California model TE for $2,500.
I got lucky and found a like new used one for $1,000,,had fifty miles on it at most XD

https://www.bentrideronline.com/?p=1971