Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Dilemma: Aluminum again, or carbon?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-15, 02:13 PM
Dreww10

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 196 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 6 Posts

I'm looking for some helpful buying decisions for my next bike. As a footnote, my wife and I will be buying a home and potentially starting a family soon, so this could be the last bike for a long, long time. For that reason, I've got to think long-term before I drop any coin, and that's where my dilemma is.

I have a '12 CAAD10-3 that I have some buyers lined up for. I've considered a new CAAD10-3, as I genuinely like how the bike rides (granted, I've never ridden anything else), the new stealth color scheme, the slightly lighter and more durable anodized finish, the 11-speed group, and the Hollowgram cranks. With the low cost of the CAAD, I could afford to put the Spidering on it, carbon bars, stem, and a different carbon post to give it a real nice, smooth ride and free up some weight. It's also cheap enough of a frame that I could possibly sell it off to upgrade in a few years.

But, like everyone else, I can't help but think if I'm going to buy something new and long-term, I should go carbon. I've considered a few options, with the new Tarmac Expert really standing out. I can get one for around $3,500, but that would mostly tap my budget out, so it'd just stay stock. While carbon is attractive, I'll admit I'm somewhat leery of riding a $3,000 frame I could break in one spill, because honestly, I couldn't afford to replace it in that situation.

These two options (and some other carbon bikes) are close enough in price/value that I'm having a hard time drawing any final conclusion. Cheaper aluminum with great aftermarket parts, or more of a stock carbon bike? (I already have wheels, so that doesn't play a part at all).
Old 01-21-15, 02:19 PM
hueyhoolihan

Bikes: 8 ss bikes, 1 5-speed touring bike

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
first off. forget about the wife and kids. dead end. just an unnecessary complication really. irrelevant...

get a carbon bike, you'll never know what you've been missing, good or bad, if you don't.
Old 01-21-15, 02:20 PM
popeye

Bikes: S works Tarmac, Felt TK2 track

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 359 Post(s)
Liked 179 Times in 111 Posts
You deserve crabon. Alu is unrepairable unlike crp.
Old 01-21-15, 02:37 PM
sced
South Carolina Ed

Bikes: Holdsworth custom, Macario Pro, Ciocc San Cristobal, Viner Nemo, Cyfac Le Mythique, Giant TCR, Tommasso Mondial, Cyfac Etoile

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 344 Post(s)
Liked 291 Times in 138 Posts
Flip a coin. Then you'll discover what you really want.
Old 01-21-15, 02:42 PM
txags92

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Ok, I will bite...why sell a Caad-10 so that you can buy a new Caad-10? Why not just upgrade the one you have? If you are going to upgrade, then upgrade. Don't sell one bike at a discount because it is used so that you can buy the same bike at a premium price. That is not an upgrade, that is spending money to have something new. I would start with figuring out what it is about your existing bike that you don't like and think needs to be upgraded. From there, figure out if it is more cost effective to buy a whole new bike to get what you are looking for or if you would be better off just upgrading the group or components. Believe me, once you buy a house, you will find PLENTY of things to spend money on...
Old 01-21-15, 02:45 PM
milkbaby
blah blah blah

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
You can probably repair a cracked carbon frame for $300 to $500. You can probably buy a replacement CAAD10 frame for about $500. So unless your carbon frame is in multiple pieces, the cost will be similar. In a pinch, the Nashbar carbon frames are often on sale for $500 or $600.

I personally wouldn't bother selling a CAAD10 to buy another CAAD10 just for the different color and 11 speed -- the frame is still the same platform. However, maybe you'll enjoy the new bike more after a color change and newer groupset, so it'll be worth it to you?
Old 01-21-15, 02:56 PM
Dreww10

Originally Posted by txags92
Ok, I will bite...why sell a Caad-10 so that you can buy a new Caad-10? Why not just upgrade the one you have? If you are going to upgrade, then upgrade. Don't sell one bike at a discount because it is used so that you can buy the same bike at a premium price. That is not an upgrade, that is spending money to have something new.
Well, I figure just to buy the 6800 groupset (or even Force, Dura-Ace, or Red) and the crankset is going to cost nearly as much, if not just as much as buying the whole bike. The bonus is a frame that's virtually the same but slightly improved. I've had a lot of trouble with the paint peeling off my frame, so anodize would be a welcome thing.
Old 01-21-15, 02:59 PM
dtrain
L-I-V-I-N

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Ok, I will bite...why sell a Caad-10 so that you can buy a new Caad-10? Why not just upgrade the one you have? If you are going to upgrade, then upgrade. Don't sell one bike at a discount because it is used so that you can buy the same bike at a premium price. That is not an upgrade, that is spending money to have something new. I would start with figuring out what it is about your existing bike that you don't like and think needs to be upgraded. From there, figure out if it is more cost effective to buy a whole new bike to get what you are looking for or if you would be better off just upgrading the group or components. Believe me, once you buy a house, you will find PLENTY of things to spend money on...
+1. If the frame is solid...wheels and 11 speed groups can be had pretty cheaply. No reason to sink money into another CAAD10. Either aim higher or don't bother.

(Edit: I see now that you clarified your reasoning. Bummer about your paint. I'd guess 6800, and definately 5800, is cheaper than you are thinking.)

'14 carbon Synapse - '12 CAAD 10 5 - '99 Gary Fisher Big Sur
Old 01-21-15, 03:03 PM
Lazyass

Mentioned: 66 Post(s)
Quoted: 2432 Post(s)
Liked 638 Times in 395 Posts
Originally Posted by Dreww10
But, like everyone else, I can't help but think if I'm going to buy something new and long-term, I should go carbon.
But, if you're like me, you'll buy a carbon bike and immediately be disappointed in how much not better it is than aluminum.
Old 01-21-15, 03:44 PM
Dreww10

Originally Posted by Lazyass
But, if you're like me, you'll buy a carbon bike and immediately be disappointed in how much not better it is than aluminum.
I have actually put a few miles on a non-Evo SuperSix and honestly had to search for big holes in the pavement to run over just to see if I could really feel a difference. Normal riding, it didn't seem any smoother to me.
Old 01-21-15, 03:58 PM
Jarrett2

Bikes: Steel 1x's

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 632 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Always carbon.

Now let me read the post
Old 01-21-15, 03:59 PM
Jarrett2

Bikes: Steel 1x's

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 632 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
After actually reading the post:

Definitely carbon.
Old 01-21-15, 04:13 PM
txags92

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
The bottom end carbon bikes just usually aren't that exceptional compared to a high quality aluminum frame with good components. They usually have to compromise the components too much to reach their price point and end up with a squishy bike with heavy wheels. You probably won't see much difference between a CAAD-10 and a ~$2000 carbon bike.
Old 01-21-15, 04:20 PM
Adrianinkc

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Carbon is overrated
Old 01-21-15, 04:30 PM
wvridgerider

Bikes: Gunnar Crosshairs, Surly Karate Monkey, Specialized Fuze, Bianchi Volpe, too many others and a lot of broken frame

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked 70 Times in 21 Posts
Steel?
Old 01-21-15, 04:32 PM
rideBjj

Bikes: Cannondale Supersix Evo HiMod - Sram Red

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Buy a used titanium frame and build that up. You'll have a bike with a great feel, that should last for a very long time.

I spent months trolling ebay until my patience paid off. I can't see any reason to ride my carbon (2013 Roubaix) bike again, to the point I'm considering selling it and using the money to turn the Ti bike into a monster.
Old 01-21-15, 05:09 PM
BillyD
Administrator

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene '04; Bridgestone RB-1 '92

Mentioned: 325 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11971 Post(s)
Liked 6,655 Times in 3,486 Posts
Originally Posted by Lazyass
At long last, an honest man.
Old 01-21-15, 05:31 PM
Team Sarcasm

Bikes: One with square wheels

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
This 100%

You can come out with a rocking caad 10.
Old 01-21-15, 05:32 PM
Team Sarcasm

Bikes: One with square wheels

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Well, I figure just to buy the 6800 groupset (or even Force, Dura-Ace, or Red) and the crankset is going to cost nearly as much, if not just as much as buying the whole bike. The bonus is a frame that's virtually the same but slightly improved. I've had a lot of trouble with the paint peeling off my frame, so anodize would be a welcome thing.
Buy the group online. The 11speed 105 was under 400 a month ago.
Old 01-21-15, 05:40 PM
Lazyass

Mentioned: 66 Post(s)
Quoted: 2432 Post(s)
Liked 638 Times in 395 Posts
I have actually put a few miles on a non-Evo SuperSix and honestly had to search for big holes in the pavement to run over just to see if I could really feel a difference. Normal riding, it didn't seem any smoother to me.
I bought into the hype and got a '06 Giant TCR2. Only got to test it in the parking lot. During my first ride I was thinking about the money I wasted. Nice bike for sure but I didn't like the dead feeling. DB spokes and 25mm tires do more to reduce road vibrations to me. These hydroformed alu frames today are very under rated and very sweet rides and I prefer a more lively feeling than carbon gives.
Old 01-21-15, 05:49 PM
Ghazmh

Bikes: 2022 Salsa Beargrease, 2020 Seven Evergreen, 2019 Honey Allroads Ti, 2018 Seven Redsky XX, 2017 Trek Boon 7, 2014 Trek 520

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 696 Post(s)
Liked 910 Times in 487 Posts
Spend as much as you can now because in a few years you won't be riding. You'll be making endless trips to Home Depot for your "honey do" projects.
Old 01-21-15, 06:32 PM
SSRI

Quoted: 114 Post(s)
Liked 29 Times in 20 Posts
Originally Posted by Ghazmh
Spend as much as you can now because in a few years you won't be riding. You'll be making endless trips to Home Depot for your "honey do" projects.
i am living it.....
Old 01-21-15, 06:34 PM
SSRI

Quoted: 114 Post(s)
Liked 29 Times in 20 Posts
consider a titanium.

pass on the al.

supersix evo himod or bust.
Old 01-21-15, 06:42 PM
bt
Banned

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
is this gonna be a dream bike?

ps. I didn't read the op's post
Old 01-21-15, 07:10 PM
whitemax

Quoted: 119 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
11 speed is so unessessary. Keep what you have and upgrade your wheels.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.