Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Warped Handlebars on New Bike - Warranty Issue?

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-13, 04:01 PM
torquewrenchles

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I bought a new $400 Raleigh comfort bike from a local bike shop a few days ago, and I've noticed that the (upright) handlebars are warped. The left handgrip end is close to an inch lower than the right handgrip end. This is definitely the metal, not how they're attached or the handgrips.

What should the attitude of the LBS be about this? Is this a legitimate warranty issue?

They're steel -- is it normal or unusual for a typical LBS to be able to bend them into shape?

Am I mad at the shop for not inspecting the bike carefully during the build and catching this?
Old 01-19-13, 04:53 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
Bent in shipping, .. You original Owner? should be covered , Service flow path goes thru the dealer anyhow..

they may sell you Nicer aluminum ones , for a discount, then have Raleigh give them a credit
to their account.

is it normal or unusual for a typical LBS to be able to bend them into shape?
No, Never.. Production tube benders are big machines..
Old 01-19-13, 05:29 PM
oldbobcat

Bikes: '80 Masi Gran Criterium, '12 Trek Madone, early '60s Frejus track

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 514 Post(s)
Liked 448 Times in 337 Posts
I'll bet the handlebar is OK but the stem was welded crooked. I've seen this a few times. But either way you have a legitimate complaint.

I don't know whether you're mad at the shop or not. You tell us. I'd be a little disappointed, but I find that showing anger only works after the second screw-up on a problem and only if you're talking to a manager. I'm sure if you take the bike back without blazing six-guns they'll fix it with a smile and an apology for your trouble.
Old 01-19-13, 07:08 PM
mconlonx

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 7148 Post(s)
Liked 134 Times in 92 Posts
Yes, as long as you bought it new, it should be covered under warranty. Only get mad if the shop won't service it under warranty, and if they won't, find another Raleigh dealer for warranty service.

The shop won't bend the bar back into shape, they will replace faulty parts. It may take a week or two, or they may have parts on hand to service it within a few days.

Show up in person, with the bike, and talk things over reasonably with the shop.
Old 01-21-13, 04:22 AM
torquewrenchles

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks. You see I can never tell if something is one of those precision details that only I would even notice, let alone bother about.

I actually expected to get yelled at here: "no handlebars are 100% straight, do you want to worry about every detail on your bike being exactly perfect, or go out and enjoy riding it?!"

The Avenir comfort seat is also slightly warped.

The Kenda flatproof tires are also wobbling blatantly around with "rideout" (yes rims true, yes shop tried everything on the bead). But I know from searching this forum that some people think that being bothered by that at least is "OCD"
Old 01-21-13, 06:36 AM
xenologer

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 239 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
For the off seated tires
Did they try using one of these?;

https://www.bicycleresearchtools.com/tst1.gif

wouldn't surprise me if they have never seen one...

and saddles, without springs; tend to not lean to one side as commonly
Old 01-21-13, 12:12 PM
pierce
S'Cruzer

Bikes: too many

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 17 Posts
for off-seated tires, I just let most of the air out so they are like 5psi or something, then go around the tire and use my hands to realign the bead (grab the tire at 12'oclock with both hands and push 'up' with my thumbs to align the bead)... nearly every tire I've ever seen has had a flange or ridge just above the bead area, so I set this equidistant to the rim flange all the way around (usually just about flush with the top of the rim), then pump up the tires and its good to go.
Old 01-21-13, 05:37 PM
DieselDan

Location: Beaufort, South Carolina, USA and surrounding islands.

Bikes: Cannondale R500, Motobecane Messenger

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
The shop should fix it. I would if it was my shop.
Old 01-22-13, 11:24 AM
torquewrenchles

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
For the saddle, I think maybe the leather/padding got sewn on it just a little unevenly by the Chinese slave laborer churning 10 of them out per minute. Or could have been bent in shipping

The tire warpage is sloppy manufacturing -- the rubber itself is unevenly thick. Apparently common:

https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread...ompletely-true

But it's the public that accepts the low standards that enables the manufacturers with the low standards.

Then again I don't want to torment the LBS over Chinese manufacturing that's beyond their control.