Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Why is ultralight touring so unpopular?

Search
Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-15, 06:59 PM
plumberroy

Bikes: Surly long haul trucker, Surly steamroller,Huffy Catalina, Univega Alpina 501. Gravity deadeye monster, Raliegh sport , Electra loft 1

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 607 Post(s)
Liked 298 Times in 181 Posts
Originally Posted by Cyclebum
When I switched from 38 to 28 mm tires, felt like I was ultralite.

The only time weight is much of a negative is when climbing. Actually an advantage when bombing downhill, and pretty much a wash on flats.

The responsiveness of a 15 lb load is fun. And since every pedal stroke is an acceleration, every ounce does count. Lighter the load, the faster and farther you're likely to go/day.

I didn't read all the way through this thread but I can tell you this . I have spent 30 years in the construction/maintenance industry going faster and covering more ground with less is my every day life . When I do get more than a couple of hours to ride a bike Faster and farther is the last thing I am interested in . 40-60 miles and time to catch a fish or two enjoy being out is far more important than covering as much ground as possible I also want enough gear to fry the fish and make a good cup of tea and sleep comfortable . I have more than once had an extra CO2 cartridge or wet wipe to clean grease off their hands for the fast as you can go ultra light guys. ( that is not a complaint I am glad I could help)
Not all of us have the same goal when we get on a bike fried bluegill , hash browns, with baked beans washed down with Russian caravan tea makes me happy I am willing to pack the extra stuff , for it . If you are a light weight type I probably have an extra cup of tea if we end up camping at the same place
Roy
Old 12-12-15, 08:15 PM
Happy Feet

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 2236 Post(s)
Liked 1,314 Times in 707 Posts
Roy,

You need to go back and read through the whole thread. Pretty well every post actually. There is some very important information that you probably missed that is, as I say, very important.
I could tell you but don't want to ruin the surprise.

Also, make another post real quick. Your post count is freaking me out!!!
Old 12-12-15, 08:19 PM
saddlesores

Bikes: inferior steel....and....noodly aluminium

Quoted: 1054 Post(s)
Liked 341 Times in 229 Posts
Originally Posted by Happy Feet
You need to go back and read through the whole thread....
or spend the time more productively....say, riding your bike!
Old 12-12-15, 08:42 PM
Happy Feet

There's no room for common sense in a discussion like this...
Old 12-13-15, 05:42 AM
staehpj1

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1251 Post(s)
Liked 756 Times in 561 Posts
Originally Posted by plumberroy
I didn't read all the way through this thread but I can tell you this . I have spent 30 years in the construction/maintenance industry going faster and covering more ground with less is my every day life . When I do get more than a couple of hours to ride a bike Faster and farther is the last thing I am interested in . 40-60 miles and time to catch a fish or two enjoy being out is far more important than covering as much ground as possible I also want enough gear to fry the fish and make a good cup of tea and sleep comfortable . I have more than once had an extra CO2 cartridge or wet wipe to clean grease off their hands for the fast as you can go ultra light guys. ( that is not a complaint I am glad I could help)
Not all of us have the same goal when we get on a bike fried bluegill , hash browns, with baked beans washed down with Russian caravan tea makes me happy I am willing to pack the extra stuff , for it . If you are a light weight type I probably have an extra cup of tea if we end up camping at the same place
Roy
There is a misconception that the UL guys are less prepared. In actual fact, they may be more likely to be prepared, since they have really considered their packing list in detail over and over. To be fair so have some of the heavy packers. The thing is that I found that while usually the lightest packer in a given hiker biker site, I am most often the one loaning out stuff to folks who are carrying more but lack some key item.

Also the packing style doesn't dictate how far or fast one rides. There are folks packing light and taking it easy and folks packing heavy and pushing hard.

Nothing wrong with either style, but I think that folks tend to assume that the ULers are less prepared and less comfortable, when that isn't typically the case.
Old 12-13-15, 12:27 PM
Happy Feet

I don't necessarily think people believe UL packers are less prepared; I think some believe that, to some degree, they have to give up what some might call comfort in able to be so.

If you enjoy UL then that is the "comfort" one seeks, so no loss is noted, but most have other comforts like cooking or reading or dressing nicely that they seek and don't want to forgo in order to become UL. I think some think "why would I give up the things I enjoy in order to save a few pounds, when enjoyment is the reason I am touring?

The only counter argument is that going UL will make the touring more enjoyable, from a reduced effort perspective, which may or may not appeal, depending on how hard the rider currently feels their touring to be, and whether riding light would match or beat the enjoyment they get from the stuff they carry that adds weight ie. enjoying riding light vs enjoying what they do with their stuff.

Once the thrill of riding UL wears off (if it does) one is left with a pretty austere camp.

I see it both ways. Some times I tour simply for pleasure and making miles is of little importance, what I do along the way is so I bring stuff. Other times I have a definite goal in mind and enjoy making distance so go lighter.
Old 12-13-15, 12:44 PM
djb

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 2739 Post(s)
Liked 972 Times in 795 Posts
I don't necessarily think people believe UL packers are less prepared; I think some believe that, to some degree, they have to give up what some might call comfort in able to be so.

If you enjoy UL then that is the "comfort" one seeks, so no loss is noted, but most have other comforts like cooking or reading or dressing nicely that they seek and don't want to forgo in order to become UL. I think some think "why would I give up the things I enjoy in order to save a few pounds, when enjoyment is the reason I am touring?

The only counter argument is that going UL will make the touring more enjoyable, from a reduced effort perspective, which may or may not appeal, depending on how hard the rider currently feels their touring to be, and whether riding light would match or beat the enjoyment they get from the stuff they carry that adds weight ie. enjoying riding light vs enjoying what they do with their stuff.

Once the thrill of riding UL wears off (if it does) one is left with a pretty austere camp.

I see it both ways. Some times I tour simply for pleasure and making miles is of little importance, what I do along the way is so I bring stuff. Other times I have a definite goal in mind and enjoy making distance so go lighter.
stop making reasonable statements like this buddy!
Old 12-13-15, 01:06 PM
mdilthey

Bikes: Nature Boy 853 Disc, Pugsley SS

Quoted: 251 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by djb
stop making reasonable statements like this buddy!
Pick a side! Or we'll take your titanium spork away!
Old 12-13-15, 01:45 PM
350htrr

Bikes: 27 speed ORYX with over 39,000Kms on it and another 14,000KMs with a BionX E-Assist on it

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1024 Post(s)
Liked 57 Times in 49 Posts
I don't necessarily think people believe UL packers are less prepared; I think some believe that, to some degree, they have to give up what some might call comfort in able to be so. If you enjoy UL then that is the "comfort" one seeks, so no loss is noted, but most have other comforts like cooking or reading or dressing nicely that they seek and don't want to forgo in order to become UL. I think some think "why would I give up the things I enjoy in order to save a few pounds, when enjoyment is the reason I am touring?The only counter argument is that going UL will make the touring more enjoyable, from a reduced effort perspective, which may or may not appeal, depending on how hard the rider currently feels their touring to be, and whether riding light would match or beat the enjoyment they get from the stuff they carry that adds weight ie. enjoying riding light vs enjoying what they do with their stuff.Once the thrill of riding UL wears off (if it does) one is left with a pretty austere camp.I see it both ways. Some times I tour simply for pleasure and making miles is of little importance, what I do along the way is so I bring stuff. Other times I have a definite goal in mind and enjoy making distance so go lighter.
WOW, That just makes too much sense... You stated it the best that I have seen so far and I am probably a full 180 degrees opposite of UL touring and agree with everything you said.
Old 12-13-15, 02:28 PM
Happy Feet

Stop being agreeable. We'll never crack the 1000 post mark if it goes down that road...
Old 12-13-15, 02:33 PM
imi
aka Timi

Bikes: Bianchi Lupo (touring) Bianchi Volpe (commuter), Miyata On Off Road Runner

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 160 Post(s)
Liked 130 Times in 99 Posts

Good grief!

Last edited by imi; 12-13-15 at 05:15 PM.
Old 12-13-15, 02:40 PM
Doug64

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 1182 Post(s)
Liked 833 Times in 435 Posts
+4 or 5

Nicely stated!
Old 12-13-15, 03:01 PM
plumberroy

Bikes: Surly long haul trucker, Surly steamroller,Huffy Catalina, Univega Alpina 501. Gravity deadeye monster, Raliegh sport , Electra loft 1

Originally Posted by staehpj1
There is a misconception that the UL guys are less prepared. In actual fact, they may be more likely to be prepared, since they have really considered their packing list in detail over and over. To be fair so have some of the heavy packers. The thing is that I found that while usually the lightest packer in a given hiker biker site, I am most often the one loaning out stuff to folks who are carrying more but lack some key item.

Also the packing style doesn't dictate how far or fast one rides. There are folks packing light and taking it easy and folks packing heavy and pushing hard.

Nothing wrong with either style, but I think that folks tend to assume that the ULers are less prepared and less comfortable, when that isn't typically the case.
I didn't mean to say U.L. guys were under prepared, the guy I gave a co2 cartridge to had used his to help some one else . My aim was to point out we all have different reasons to ride and carry gear to meet our goal. You won't see many under prepared Ultralight guys because if you run light and don't have your gear right it quits being fun real quick . If it isn't enjoyable you won't make many trips. if you are on a bike and having fun it is all good .
the only people I have a problem with are the
"This is the way I do it and if you don't do it that way you are wrong group"
I don't get to over night often but even on day rides having extra co2 cartridges and tools, that have kept some one else from walking . Or extra kids bandages and wet wipe for a kid with a skinned knee are well worth the extra weight.
Roy
Old 12-13-15, 03:50 PM
Squeezebox
Banned.

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 760 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
There is nothing austere about my camp set-up. I carry what I need/want. At a kilo I cook well. I sleep well at 5 lbs. Thinking about a 1 1/2 lb chair. I don't need more than 2 pair of shorts or 1 jersey, 3-4 pr is plenty of socks. I'm considering a kindle. So what are you carrying at 2-3 times my wt. that I don't have??
I don't think anyone would consider me UL but the heavy packers really should take some time to look at what they can comfortably do without, or get something lighter that does the same thing. so their daytime riding is more comfortable and safer.
Old 12-13-15, 03:58 PM
BigAura

Bikes: all steel stable: surly world troller, paris sport fixed, fuji ss

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 623 Post(s)
Liked 55 Times in 33 Posts
The Goldilocks principle.
Old 12-13-15, 06:44 PM
Doug64

Originally Posted by Squeezebox
There is nothing austere about my camp set-up. I carry what I need/want. At a kilo I cook well. I sleep well at 5 lbs. Thinking about a 1 1/2 lb chair. I don't need more than 2 pair of shorts or 1 jersey, 3-4 pr is plenty of socks. I'm considering a kindle. So what are you carrying at 2-3 times my wt. that I don't have??
I don't think anyone would consider me UL but the heavy packers really should take some time to look at what they can comfortably do without, or get something lighter that does the same thing. so their daytime riding is more comfortable and safer.
How many tours have you used your setup on, what was the length, season, and duration?

Why are so concerned with what other folks are carrying? Does it affect your enjoyment?

Last edited by Doug64; 12-13-15 at 06:54 PM.
Old 12-13-15, 07:15 PM
Squeezebox
Banned.

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 760 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Doug64
How many tours have you used your setup on, what was the length, season, and duration?

Why are so concerned with what other folks are carrying? Does it affect your enjoyment?
I want other people to also enjoy bicycle touring. If you are carrying an extra 100 lbs of useless stuff you will not have fun. IMHO
Old 12-13-15, 07:32 PM
Doug64

I want other people to also enjoy bicycle touring. If you are carrying an extra 100 lbs of useless stuff you will not have fun. IMHO

I tend to agree with that. However, I've been touring for awhile, and have never seen anyone carrying 100 lb. of any kind of gear, much less 100 lb. of useless stuff.
Old 12-13-15, 09:22 PM
hueyhoolihan

Bikes: 8 ss bikes, 1 5-speed touring bike

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
well, if for no other reason than what will appear to be contrary, perverse, and mildly annoying... i've seen a couple of guys carrying a 100 pounds of "spare tire" around their waists, maybe more.

Last edited by hueyhoolihan; 12-13-15 at 09:27 PM.
Old 12-13-15, 09:29 PM
saddlesores

Bikes: inferior steel....and....noodly aluminium

Quoted: 1054 Post(s)
Liked 341 Times in 229 Posts
... I carry what I need/want. .....but the heavy packers really should take some time to look at what they can comfortably do without, or get something lighter that does the same thing. so their daytime riding is more comfortable and safer.
you carry what you need/want.

i carry what i need/want.

he/she/skler carries what he/she/skler needs/want.

please keep your religious posturings in the temple.
Old 12-13-15, 09:30 PM
Erick L
Lentement mais sûrement

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
I'm pretty sure these two are having a blast. They've been at it for 25 years.
Old 12-13-15, 10:38 PM
Doug64

Originally Posted by hueyhoolihan
well, if for no other reason than what will appear to be contrary, perverse, and mildly annoying... i've seen a couple of guys carrying a 100 pounds of "spare tire" around their waists, maybe more.
You are none of the above, and thanks for lightening things up a little
Old 12-14-15, 05:29 AM
plumberroy

And there's the "if you aren't doing it my way you are not going to have fun (wrong)"
stuff I carry that you probably don't ... tenkara fly rod , Cuban yo-yo reel + tackle better stove something to cook with not just boil water , more than one pan real book .
Old 12-14-15, 05:48 AM
staehpj1

Originally Posted by Doug64
However, I've been touring for awhile, and have never seen anyone carrying 100 lb. of any kind of gear, much less 100 lb. of useless stuff.
I am a bit surprised by that. I have seen quite a few, including a fair percentage of my warmshowers.org guests. A couple were at closer to 200 pounds of gear than 100. Based on what I have seen on the road an over 100 pound base is way more common than an under 20 one. Maybe it depends on the route?

Most of them were new to touring and just threw in everything they thought they might possibly need, but a couple that were around 100 pound base actually had their gear well dialed in to their wants and personal style. The overloaded newbies seemed pretty miserable, the more experienced heavy packers seemed quite happy with their choices and their trips.
Old 12-14-15, 05:59 AM
staehpj1

Originally Posted by plumberroy
And there's the "if you aren't doing it my way you are not going to have fun (wrong)"
stuff I carry that you probably don't ... tenkara fly rod , Cuban yo-yo reel + tackle better stove something to cook with not just boil water , more than one pan real book .
FWIW, I have taken what amounts to essentially most of that on a backpacking trip and still was under 14 pounds base even though I had to carry a bear canister (a requirement there). I did have a regular 4 wt fly rod with a reel instead of the tenkara and Cuban yo-yo. I don't typically read much on tour or when backpacking and when I do it is usually either an audio book or an ebook.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.