Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Why is ultralight touring so unpopular?

Search
Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Why is ultralight touring so unpopular?

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-15, 07:57 AM
nun

Bikes: Rivendell Quickbeam, Rivendell Rambouillet, Rivendell Atlantis, Circle A town bike, De Rosa Neo Primato, Cervelo RS, Specialized Diverge

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 180 Post(s)
Liked 43 Times in 40 Posts
I'd never carry CO2 cartridges because if you are worried about weight and functionality they don't make much sense. Once a CO2 cartridge is used it's trash and not re-useable. A good pump is a better solution.
Old 12-14-15, 08:53 AM
Leebo

Bikes: Kona Dawg, Surly 1x1, Karate Monkey, Rockhopper, Crosscheck , Burley Runabout,

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 854 Post(s)
Liked 111 Times in 66 Posts
^^^^ Umm, not pertinent to the UL conversation.
Old 12-14-15, 10:22 AM
350htrr

Bikes: 27 speed ORYX with over 39,000Kms on it and another 14,000KMs with a BionX E-Assist on it

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1024 Post(s)
Liked 57 Times in 49 Posts
Originally Posted by staehpj1
I am a bit surprised by that. I have seen quite a few, including a fair percentage of my warmshowers.org guests. A couple were at closer to 200 pounds of gear than 100. Based on what I have seen on the road an over 100 pound base is way more common than an under 20 one. Maybe it depends on the route?

Most of them were new to touring and just threw in everything they thought they might possibly need, but a couple that were around 100 pound base actually had their gear well dialed in to their wants and personal style. The overloaded newbies seemed pretty miserable, the more experienced heavy packers seemed quite happy with their choices and their trips.
That is exactly our experience with our warm shower guests, not one was UL touring... Most were closer to 100Lbs than 50Lbs is my guess... About 1/2 of them were new to touring but the other half were around the world type 40,000KM worth... They pretty well all agreed they were carrying more than they "needed" but they were willing to because they "wanted" the use of those items even tho they certainly could have done without them...
Old 12-14-15, 10:49 AM
mantelclock
Senior Moment

Bikes: Velo Orange Campeur, 1976 Motobecane Grand Touring

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
If your trip involves a range from hotels, to warmshowers, to stealth camping with meal preparation, then you have to pack for the third option. While that can be done ultralight, none of my warmshowers guests have been ultralight, and have all come packed for cold, wet weather camping, even though I have provided warm dry beds.
Old 12-14-15, 12:36 PM
robow

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 595 Post(s)
Liked 282 Times in 193 Posts
100 lbs. Really? That's a bunch. Not sure I have seen that., 75 lbs for sure though.
Old 12-14-15, 05:01 PM
plumberroy

Bikes: Surly long haul trucker, Surly steamroller,Huffy Catalina, Univega Alpina 501. Gravity deadeye monster, Raliegh sport , Electra loft 1

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 607 Post(s)
Liked 298 Times in 181 Posts
FWIW, I have taken what amounts to essentially most of that on a backpacking trip and still was under 14 pounds base even though I had to carry a bear canister (a requirement there). I did have a regular 4 wt fly rod with a reel instead of the tenkara and Cuban yo-yo. I don't typically read much on tour or when backpacking and when I do it is usually either an audio book or an ebook.
I can get with in a pound of that and most of my backpacking gear is 15- 20 years old . The point is ,the post I quote said you need to do it my way to be safe and comfortable . In a round about way . We all don't have the same goals so the gear we carry won't be the same . I refuse to carry a bivy for a multi day trip I spent 3 days in a tent during a steady hard rain I want room to set up and move at least a little. I can get by with sub 12 oz cook set (not including fuel ) But I don't want to . The biggest problem here is anytime ultra light anything, bikes gear etc. It ends up with a few Ultra light fanatics posting. why their way is the only right way every other post in a thread .

I don't absorb audio books well . and don't like E readers/tablets to actually on . But probably shouldn't count the book as trip weight as I carry it every where . I carry a new testament all the time ( reading it keeps me centered)
Old 12-14-15, 05:15 PM
staehpj1

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1251 Post(s)
Liked 754 Times in 560 Posts
Originally Posted by Leebo
Why not? I think CO2 is a pretty bad idea for any but short tours, whether ultralight, ultra heavy, of anything in between. A lot of mini pumps are lighter than most inflators and one cartridge. By the time you have a few cartridges they are as heavy as some pretty nice pumps.

Additionally CO2 seems to bleed out much faster than air leading to more frequent topping off.
Old 12-14-15, 05:20 PM
manapua_man

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 223 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
There are pumps that probably weigh about as much as some of those little co2 canisters, and they have the advantage of being able to fill more air as long as they aren't broken.

Also don't think 'ultralight' touring is unpopular, but some people have odd definitions for what counts as 'ultralight'.
Old 12-14-15, 05:28 PM
plumberroy

Bikes: Surly long haul trucker, Surly steamroller,Huffy Catalina, Univega Alpina 501. Gravity deadeye monster, Raliegh sport , Electra loft 1

Why not? I think CO2 is a pretty bad idea for any but short tours, whether ultralight, ultra heavy, of anything in between. A lot of mini pumps are lighter than most inflators and one cartridge. By the time you have a few cartridges they are as heavy as some pretty nice pumps.

Additionally CO2 seems to bleed out much faster than air leading to more frequent topping off.
I consider CO2 to be get me to the next place I can get air I have never had to use one on the trail but have use them to air up other peoples tires . Knock on wood last time I had a flat out and about was before they were common . If I were to use one , as soon as I got to some were with a decent pump I would deflate the tire and refill it with air .
Old 12-14-15, 05:57 PM
vik 
cyclopath

Bikes: Surly Krampus, Surly Straggler, Pivot Mach 6, Bike Friday Tikit, Bike Friday Tandem, Santa Cruz Nomad

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Buffalo Buff
The thing is, it is incredibly rare for me to see other people who approach touring the same way, and I'm just kind of curious as to why? Ive seen maybe 3 or 4 people out of hundreds online post an UL rig, and I've NEVER seen another tourist on the road setup with anything less than quad panniers + more.

My current ^^ touring setup. Good for 5-7 days between resupply.

I guess it depends where you hang out online and where you ride.

Online I mostly see folks doing some form of lightweight touring. Not sure how to define UL vs. just light/minimal.

On tour I have run into others doing the same thing, but I mostly stay on remote singletrack or less used forest service roads so I don't meet a ton of people of any type.

Because I live in a popular location for fully loaded touring riders I see plenty of their rigs pass me by everyday [at least in the summer], but I have no desire to load my bike up like that and spend my time doing that style of touring any more.
Old 12-14-15, 06:47 PM
Walter S

Bikes: Surly Long Haul Disc Trucker

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1015 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by plumberroy
I consider CO2 to be get me to the next place I can get air I have never had to use one on the trail but have use them to air up other peoples tires . Knock on wood last time I had a flat out and about was before they were common . If I were to use one , as soon as I got to some were with a decent pump I would deflate the tire and refill it with air .
I take it you're against carrying a pump with you?
Old 12-14-15, 07:07 PM
Happy Feet

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 2236 Post(s)
Liked 1,314 Times in 707 Posts
Originally Posted by vik

My current ^^ touring setup. Good for 5-7 days between resupply.

I guess it depends where you hang out online and where you ride.

Online I mostly see folks doing some form of lightweight touring. Not sure how to define UL vs. just light/minimal.

On tour I have run into others doing the same thing, but I mostly stay on remote singletrack or less used forest service roads so I don't meet a ton of people of any type.

Because I live in a popular location for fully loaded touring riders I see plenty of their rigs pass me by everyday [at least in the summer], but I have no desire to load my bike up like that and spend my time doing that style of touring any more.
Nice, but what do you eat for 5-7 days and where do you store it? I imagine that sort of riding will require a lot of calories. For 5 days X3 that equals 15 meals, 7 days add 6 more for 21 meals. I'm honestly curious because I've packed multi day trips and know what 21 dehydrated meals would look like.

Last edited by Happy Feet; 12-14-15 at 07:13 PM.
Old 12-14-15, 07:08 PM
Squeezebox
Banned.

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 760 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Geez!! why so judgemental. How about we talk about how much underwear you carry. Pumps are good, CO2 is lighter if you're willing to go there.
My guess there are few places in the US where you have to take more than 1 day's food. Sure there are some, but most tourers don't go there.
Lighten up and you will be happier.

Last edited by Squeezebox; 12-14-15 at 07:14 PM.
Old 12-14-15, 07:13 PM
Bandera
~>~

Mentioned: 87 Post(s)
Quoted: 1112 Post(s)
Liked 180 Times in 119 Posts
An old associate, reprobate and very experienced Audax rider just e-mailed about coming along on a wandering ride from his home in Wales to Scotland (and hopefully back) via a route including some of the best pubs on the island. Knowing my equipment and riding style his advice:

"Pack the Barley and a small H-bar bag, it's only seven days in likely pissing-down conditions on steep crappy roads but at least it's not Texas."

Sounds ideal.
Old 12-14-15, 07:15 PM
spectastic
commu*ist spy

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 653 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
i agree. less is more. though i did get stuck in oregon without a sleeping bag and freezing my ass off all night. aside from that exception, definitely travel light is the way to go. also probably the primary reason why i will never tour in the cold
Old 12-14-15, 07:51 PM
vik 
cyclopath

Bikes: Surly Krampus, Surly Straggler, Pivot Mach 6, Bike Friday Tikit, Bike Friday Tandem, Santa Cruz Nomad

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Happy Feet
Nice, but what do you eat for 5-7 days and where do you store it? I imagine that sort of riding will require a lot of calories. For 5 days X3 that equals 15 meals, 7 days add 6 more for 21 meals. I'm honestly curious because I've packed multi day trips and know what 21 dehydrated meals would look like.
7 days out typically means:

- 6 x breakfast
- 7 x lunch
- 6 x dinner

As I'll eat breakfast at my vehicle on the first day and I'll end up back at my vehicle the last night.

Breakfast: oatmeal x 2 [I was doing tea as well, but gave that up last trip and didn't miss it]

Lunch:

- nuts
- energy bars
- jerkey
- M&Ms
- dried fruit

I graze all day long as the mood strikes me.

Dinners: 1 x freeze dried meal, but I stick with high calorie options

Food goes in my frame bag, bar bag and my backpack. I make sure my backpack gets lighter each day that way carrying it doesn't bother me. My pack is a 28L unit. 7 days of food means it's pretty full. Less than 7 days I have extra room in the pack, but I'll frequently fill that empty space with beer which gets consumed fairly quickly.

I also carry some drink mix and make dilute drinks in my water bottle for some flavour.
Old 12-14-15, 08:33 PM
Squeezebox
Banned.

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 760 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by spectastic
i agree. less is more. though i did get stuck in oregon without a sleeping bag and freezing my ass off all night. aside from that exception, definitely travel light is the way to go. also probably the primary reason why i will never tour in the cold
But you are smart enough you did not hit hypothermia. And you learned from the experience. Don't be stupid light, be smart light.
Old 12-14-15, 08:49 PM
spectastic
commu*ist spy

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 653 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Squeezebox
But you are smart enough you did not hit hypothermia. And you learned from the experience. Don't be stupid light, be smart light.
i didn't think it would get blow 60. give me a break
Old 12-14-15, 09:18 PM
plumberroy

Originally Posted by Walter S
I take it you're against carrying a pump with you?
Some bikes have pumps some have CO2 Some have both Ollies discount had genuine innovations screw on type CO2 inflators for $4-5 with one cartridge and 4 cartridges for $4 So I have one in the seat/tool bag on every bike except my fatbike. I'm not sure it would it would do much for those big tires
Roy
Old 12-14-15, 09:59 PM
nun

Bikes: Rivendell Quickbeam, Rivendell Rambouillet, Rivendell Atlantis, Circle A town bike, De Rosa Neo Primato, Cervelo RS, Specialized Diverge

Originally Posted by plumberroy
Some bikes have pumps some have CO2 Some have both Ollies discount had genuine innovations screw on type CO2 inflators for $4-5 with one cartridge and 4 cartridges for $4 So I have one in the seat/tool bag on every bike except my fatbike. I'm not sure it would it would do much for those big tires
Roy
I have a Lezyne pump and make sure I have it on whatever bike I'm riding.

Lezyne - Engineered Design - Products - Hand Pumps - High Pressure - Pressure Drive
Old 12-14-15, 10:02 PM
nun

Originally Posted by Bandera
An old associate, reprobate and very experienced Audax rider just e-mailed about coming along on a wandering ride from his home in Wales to Scotland (and hopefully back) via a route including some of the best pubs on the island. Knowing my equipment and riding style his advice:

"Pack the Barley and a small H-bar bag, it's only seven days in likely pissing-down conditions on steep crappy roads but at least it's not Texas."

Sounds ideal.
Sounds about right for a pub tour of the UK.
Old 12-14-15, 11:45 PM
Happy Feet

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 2236 Post(s)
Liked 1,314 Times in 707 Posts
Thank you Vik.
Old 12-15-15, 02:05 PM
Leebo

Bikes: Kona Dawg, Surly 1x1, Karate Monkey, Rockhopper, Crosscheck , Burley Runabout,

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 854 Post(s)
Liked 111 Times in 66 Posts

My bad, should have quoted. That devil booze rant.
Old 12-15-15, 04:24 PM
staehpj1

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1251 Post(s)
Liked 754 Times in 560 Posts
My bad, should have quoted. That devil booze rant.
I was a little puzzled by the comment, now it makes sense. Thanks for the clarification.
Old 12-15-15, 05:15 PM
nun

Originally Posted by mantelclock
If your trip involves a range from hotels, to warmshowers, to stealth camping with meal preparation, then you have to pack for the third option. While that can be done ultralight, none of my warmshowers guests have been ultralight, and have all come packed for cold, wet weather camping, even though I have provided warm dry beds.
I pack for camping and meal prep, but keep my gear weight below 20 lbs. When I stay with warmshowers hosts they are usually very surprised to learn that I have camping gear in my saddlebag and those that are into touring will quiz me about my gear choices.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.