Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Recumbent
Reload this Page >

The wife and I are now both BENT! ;)

Search
Notices
Recumbent What IS that thing?! Recumbents may be odd looking, but they have many advantages over a "wedgie" bicycle. Discuss the in's and out's recumbent lifestyle in the recumbent forum.

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-18, 07:02 PM
bjjoondo 

Bikes: 2011 ICE Sprint Special Edition

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked 101 Times in 66 Posts

Picked up a used Terra Trike Cruiser from Angletech here in Colorado Springs for the wife! We had to wait for a week to get a "Extra-Small" Boom from Terra Trike and bought a 155mm Chain wheel set up, it all got in and is now on her trike. Good thing we got the 155mm set as otherwise it wouldn't have worked with the X-small boom! Got in her first ride today, took a easy, level 9.0 mile ride around our area, she's really liking it! LOL, so far we seem to be the only folks in our area that ride a recumbent trike so it's a bit like being a freak show on the road!
[IMG]2018-3-11-2 by BJ Ondo, on Flickr[/IMG]

Last edited by bjjoondo; 03-12-18 at 11:35 AM. Reason: Adding a photo
Old 03-12-18, 06:35 AM
Trsnrtr
Super Modest

Bikes: Trek Emonda, Giant Propel, Colnago V3, Co-Motion Supremo, ICE VTX WC

Mentioned: 107 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10963 Post(s)
Liked 4,620 Times in 2,123 Posts
Chapeau!

Old 03-12-18, 08:23 AM
OldTryGuy

Bikes: Day6 Semi Recumbent "FIREBALL", 1981 Custom Touring Paramount, 1983 Road Paramount, 2013 Giant Propel Advanced SL3, 2018 Specialized Red Roubaix Expert mech., 2002 Magna 7sp hybrid, 1976 Bassett Racing 45sp Cruiser

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1068 Post(s)
Liked 782 Times in 504 Posts
Originally Posted by bjjoondo
Picked up a used Terra Trike Cruiser................ she's really liking it! LOL,.............

so far we seem to be the only folks in our area that ride a recumbent trike so it's a bit like being a freak show on the road!
Outstanding that she likes it. Tried to have wife get into a trike but did not happen.

I'd rather be a "freak show on the road" for all to see than a "couch potato" putting on the pounds.

Enjoy the togetherness of your rides.
Old 03-12-18, 03:50 PM
Velocivixen

Mentioned: 87 Post(s)
Quoted: 400 Post(s)
Liked 37 Times in 26 Posts
She looks so happy! Tell her “congratulations” from one bent gal to another!

From what I can see it’s a good looking trike. Those tires look like they could do a little dirt & gravel.
Old 03-13-18, 08:44 AM
rydabent
Banned

Bikes: RANS Stratus TerraTrike Tour II

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 3352 Post(s)
Liked 1,056 Times in 635 Posts
Smart buy.
Old 03-14-18, 08:13 AM
BlazingPedals

Bikes: Trek 7500, RANS V-Rex, Optima Baron, Velokraft NoCom, M-5 Carbon Highracer, Catrike Speed

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1513 Post(s)
Liked 734 Times in 455 Posts
Originally Posted by bjjoondo
LOL, so far we seem to be the only folks in our area that ride a recumbent trike so it's a bit like being a freak show on the road!
I'm surprised to hear that, considering Angletech Cycles is in Colorado Springs. It's still pretty early in the season; so maybe more will come out to play when the weather warms up some.

An extra note. You can usually cut a boom shorter; but once that's done it's really hard to cut it longer!

Last edited by BlazingPedals; 03-14-18 at 01:22 PM.
Old 03-15-18, 01:10 PM
bjjoondo 

Originally Posted by BlazingPedals
I'm surprised to hear that, considering Angletech Cycles is in Colorado Springs. It's still pretty early in the season; so maybe more will come out to play when the weather warms up some.

An extra note. You can usually cut a boom shorter; but once that's done it's really hard to cut it longer!
We live just south of Colorado Springs in a "Township" called Security. It's a little older/poorer area so you don't have many folks willing to SPEND $1,000+ dollars for a bike/trike!! We like it cause it's more, "laid back" feeling but it's not even close to the Rail Trail System, bike paths and bike lanes of Colorado Springs! We have to ride 7 miles on a major multi-lane access highway and busy industrial road to get to a "trail connection"!! LOL, my wife is SO short, that not only did we NEED the "Extra Small Boom", the seat is all the way forward in it's adjustments and we had to put 155mm cranks on it and it FITS here like a GLOVE!!
[IMG]2018-3-11-3 by BJ Ondo, on Flickr[/IMG]

Last edited by bjjoondo; 03-15-18 at 01:22 PM. Reason: added photo and wording
Old 03-15-18, 01:20 PM
bjjoondo 

Originally Posted by rydabent
Smart buy.
It was either a Sunseeker Eco-Tad SX like mine or a Terra Trike Rover, new unit or buy a "used unit" and since I'm a stronger rider I REALLY wanted her to have more "gearing" to make it easier for her to climb hills and stay with me on the flats! With her 52X11 she could, "smoke" me with my 38x13 high gear (hers is a 24 speed mines a 7 speed)!! So ya, we feel it was a smart buy and she really likes it!

Old 03-15-18, 06:03 PM
BlazingPedals

Bikes: Trek 7500, RANS V-Rex, Optima Baron, Velokraft NoCom, M-5 Carbon Highracer, Catrike Speed

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1513 Post(s)
Liked 734 Times in 455 Posts
I agree, that looks pretty unfriendly, with townships divided up into blocs and very little connectivity between them except via the highways.
Old 03-24-18, 03:40 PM
bjjoondo 

Originally Posted by BlazingPedals
I agree, that looks pretty unfriendly, with townships divided up into blocs and very little connectivity between them except via the highways.
We are a bit lucky as there's a very wide, emergency lane on Hwy. 85/87 up to Las Vegas St. and at least most of the way up Las Vegas St. the road is wide enough till we get to the new South Sand Creek Trail extension to get to the main north/south trail, The Pikes Peak Greenway Trail. Still it's a few MILES before we even get on the trail to Colorado Springs and have to ride all the way down town to America The Beautiful Park to head out North or West to pick up other Trails through out the city. LOL, just to get to Angletech from Security is a RT of 30 miles with a LOT of uphill grades heading north but it's more FUN heading back south.

I'm currently beating up the El Paso County folks to make a "trail or path" from northern Security that hooks into a bike path heading east and a bike lane (well kinda), that would take us to the Sand Creek Trail extension without having to ride on a major highway! So far it's like herding cats !!!! I'll probably be lucky to get to ride it before I die.