Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational)
Reload this Page >

My first set of Compass tires, $162.00 waste of money

Search
Notices
Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational) This has to be the most physically intense sport ever invented. It's high speed bicycle racing on a short off road course or riding the off pavement rides on gravel like : "Unbound Gravel". We also have a dedicated Racing forum for the Cyclocross Hard Core Racers.

My first set of Compass tires, $162.00 waste of money

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-18, 06:41 PM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18351 Post(s)
Liked 4,502 Times in 3,346 Posts
Originally Posted by TimothyH
Could this be a [BST] vs UST compatibility issue similar to the Schwalbe G-One's blowing off Stan's and American Classic rims?

-tim-

Tubeless Standards, see Post #14

SEAL THE DEAL

To The Point - UST Rims and Tires

It sounds like it is time for Tubeless tire and rim manufacturers to sit down around a big table and start hashing out a universal standard.

We're now nearly 20 years into this tubeless thing, and patents will begin to expire soon.

UST seems to be pretty specific about the locking mechanism.

The WTB ST i25 tubeless ready rims (not STP) seem to indicate a UST compatible design.

WTB ST Rims

I can't find any notes on Compass of the actual standards they are attempting to follow.

I bought a pair of once-mounted Bon Jon Pass tires. It is hard to tell for sure, but it appears as if they have a fairly square bead, so they may well be UST compliant, although in theory true UST shouldn't require sealant.

I have a pair of Schwalbe One Pro tires. The bead seems much rounder, so I'm thinking Stans BST.

Anyway, if Compass is, in fact, using UST or similar, then it should have been fine, as long as the beads were properly seated. But, they should take the next step and certify their tires.
Old 05-10-18, 08:14 PM
Oneder
Banned.

Bikes: Wahoo of Theseus, others

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 428 Post(s)
Liked 67 Times in 46 Posts
What if you had died from the blowout, then they would owe your family millions.

No big surprise they refuse to pay for rims, no one is going to and no one is liable unless negligence is proven in court. If someone is to blame why didn't your bike store notice the tire has an obvious defect?
Old 05-10-18, 08:42 PM
AlmostTrick
Tortoise Wins by a Hare!

Bikes: Wabi Special FG, Raleigh Roper, Nashbar AL-1, Miyata One Hundred, '70 Schwinn Lemonator and More!!

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1549 Post(s)
Liked 941 Times in 504 Posts
Originally Posted by chas58
Personally, with a tire like that, I set it up with a tube, ride it for a week or two to ensure it stretches, seats, and takes its shape properly. Then I remount it using a skinnystripper to seal the tire into a psuedo "tubeless" tire so it can't blow off or burp. That has worked for me on iffy tires, but maybe I'm lucky. Ultimately I think it depends a lot on the diameter of the tire and the wheel (which are NOT standard).
What is a skinnystripper? I'm guessing you're not talking about a girl at the club.
Old 05-10-18, 09:49 PM
rpthomas

Bikes: 1988 Pinarello Veneto, 1983 Trek 720, 1991 Bridgestone MB1, 2010 Kona Bandwagon fixie,1991 Bridgestone RB1,. Schwinn cruiser

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I have to be fair and update that later today Compass contacted me through email and has agreed to pay for the damage. The LBS owner told me they talked to him and then agreed to pay. Seems fair to me and surprised me.
Old 05-11-18, 08:11 AM
athrowawaynic

Bikes: 2015 Niner RLT9, 1987 Atala

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 252 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by rpthomas
I have to be fair and update that later today Compass contacted me through email and has agreed to pay for the damage. The LBS owner told me they talked to him and then agreed to pay. Seems fair to me and surprised me.
Good to hear, but still...

Is the ride quality worth it?
Old 05-11-18, 08:14 AM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Bikes: 2018 Rodriguez Custom Fixed Gear, 2017 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2015 Bianchi Pista, 2002 Fuji Robaix

Mentioned: 235 Post(s)
Quoted: 6844 Post(s)
Liked 736 Times in 469 Posts
That is very surprising and speaks well of the company.

I have been a critic of Jan Heine/Compass but have to give credit where it is due.

Kudos as well to the LBS who advocated on your behalf. Sounds like you have a good shop behind you.
Likes For TimothyH:
Old 05-11-18, 09:01 AM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 511 Post(s)
Quoted: 7346 Post(s)
Liked 2,452 Times in 1,430 Posts
That's a good story. I had a good image of the company in my mind, and this restored it. I enjoy Jan Heine's blog, and I pay for a subscription to Bicycle Quarterly. I haven't bought any of his products, though.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 05-11-18, 10:03 AM
Clem von Jones

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 151 Post(s)
Liked 23 Times in 16 Posts
I've had some DIY experience running tubeless sometimes with non-approved and improvised products and although I love tubeless and will always use it I think any new tubeless setup should be considered sketchy until it's been tested and inspected carefully especially if it was done by someone else. There are so many variables involved like the elasticity of the tire bead, leaky valve seals, shape of the rim, the type of sealant and whether there's some dry sealant at the edges. I'm glad it wasn't your front tire and that Compass came thru eventually. I think the manufacturer is reputable and makes quality products. I wouldn't want Panaracer to quit making tubeless-compatible tires for us so it behoves us to be cautious with new tires.

Last edited by Clem von Jones; 05-11-18 at 10:11 AM.
Old 05-11-18, 10:27 AM
ThermionicScott 
working on my sandal tan

Bikes: 1991 Bianchi Eros, 1964 Armstrong, 1988 Diamondback Ascent, 1988 Bianchi Premio, 1987 Bianchi Sport SX, 1980s Raleigh mixte (hers), All-City Space Horse (hers)

Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Quoted: 3870 Post(s)
Liked 2,563 Times in 1,577 Posts
Originally Posted by Clem von Jones
I've had some DIY experience running tubeless sometimes with non-approved and improvised products and although I love tubeless and will always use it I think any new tubeless setup should be considered sketchy until it's been tested and inspected carefully especially if it was done by someone else. There are so many variables involved like the elasticity of the tire bead, leaky valve seals, shape of the rim, the type of sealant and whether there's some dry sealant at the edges. I'm glad it wasn't your front tire and that Compass came thru eventually. I think the manufacturer is reputable and makes quality products. I wouldn't want Panaracer to quit making tubeless-compatible tires for us so it behoves us to be cautious with new tires.
This. The tire manufacturer can try to make their tires with careful design and tight QC, but they don't have control over which rims, tape, sealant, etc it gets installed with.
@rpthomas, do you know if the shop tried airing your tires up to the max rating to test the fit before you got them?
People in this forum are not typical.
RUSA #7498
Old 05-11-18, 11:52 AM
chas58

Bikes: too many of all kinds

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Quoted: 1147 Post(s)
Liked 415 Times in 335 Posts
Originally Posted by AlmostTrick
What is a skinnystripper? I'm guessing you're not talking about a girl at the club.
For gosh sake, don't google it!!! (or its original name : fattystripper).

I created a thread to explain it:
https://www.bikeforums.net/cyclocros...l#post20334985
Old 05-11-18, 12:01 PM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

Bikes: Stormchaser, Paramount, Tilt, Samba tandem

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 3126 Post(s)
Liked 2,102 Times in 1,366 Posts
Compass tires may have a tubeless bead but they obviously omit any of the other features that make tubeless work well.
Old 05-11-18, 12:18 PM
AlmostTrick
Tortoise Wins by a Hare!

Bikes: Wabi Special FG, Raleigh Roper, Nashbar AL-1, Miyata One Hundred, '70 Schwinn Lemonator and More!!

Originally Posted by chas58
For gosh sake, don't google it!!! (or its original name : fattystripper).
Right? Especially since I'm at work!

I created a thread to explain it:
https://www.bikeforums.net/cyclocros...l#post20334985
Thanks! I will check it out.

Tubeless seems like more trouble than it's worth. Especially considering how nice quality tires and tubes ride. Plus, no messy sealants.
Likes For AlmostTrick:
Old 05-11-18, 12:18 PM
CliffordK

Originally Posted by ThermionicScott
This. The tire manufacturer can try to make their tires with careful design and tight QC, but they don't have control over which rims, tape, sealant, etc it gets installed with.
@rpthomas, do you know if the shop tried airing your tires up to the max rating to test the fit before you got them?
Not exactly. As mentioned by @TimothyH, and a few notes in my previous post #30

There are a couple of different rim and bead standards. Specifically UST (square bead) and BST (Stans round bead).

If one creates spec standards on rim design, and the rims adhere to the specs, and the tire manufacturers make their tires to work with those specs, then there is no longer a huge compatibility issue.

Unfortunately, possibly for patent. trademark, or other reasons, very few manufacturers are adhering to the specs. So, it becomes a free-for-all, and "tubeless ready" may not, in fact, be "tubeless compatible".

While the OP's rims may, in fact, be UST compatible, Compass doesn't specifically list their tires as being UST compatible.
Old 05-11-18, 12:26 PM
CliffordK

Right? Especially since I'm at work!
OH,

Reminds me of doing support for engineers at my previous job.

An Engineer came to me and told me her boss wanted her to look up pool heaters and gave her a link that was being blocked by the company's net nanny.

It turns out the Engineer forgot a very important dash in the website name.

www.hotbox.com link blocked by the work net nanny.
www.hot-box.com Intended link for pool heaters.
Old 05-11-18, 12:56 PM
CliffordK

Tubeless seems like more trouble than it's worth. Especially considering how nice quality tires and tubes ride. Plus, no messy sealants.
I haven't quite gotten tubeless rolling yet, but will probably go that way in the next couple of months.

I have a mini tour heading through the desert and goathead territory, off the beaten path, and thus where cars haven't blown everything off the road.

While I may be able to use tubes, tire liners, sealants, and etc, the tubeless just seems to make sense. At least before heading off down the road.
Old 05-11-18, 01:02 PM
AlmostTrick
Tortoise Wins by a Hare!

Originally Posted by CliffordK
OH,
It turns out the Engineer forgot a very important dash in the website name.

www.hotbox.com link blocked by the work net nanny.
www.hot-box.com Intended link for pool heaters.
Well that certainly could get somebody looking for hot water into some hot water!
Old 05-11-18, 01:16 PM
ThermionicScott 
working on my sandal tan

Bikes: 1991 Bianchi Eros, 1964 Armstrong, 1988 Diamondback Ascent, 1988 Bianchi Premio, 1987 Bianchi Sport SX, 1980s Raleigh mixte (hers), All-City Space Horse (hers)

Not exactly. As mentioned by @TimothyH, and a few notes in my previous post #30

There are a couple of different rim and bead standards. Specifically UST (square bead) and BST (Stans round bead).

If one creates spec standards on rim design, and the rims adhere to the specs, and the tire manufacturers make their tires to work with those specs, then there is no longer a huge compatibility issue.

Unfortunately, possibly for patent. trademark, or other reasons, very few manufacturers are adhering to the specs. So, it becomes a free-for-all, and "tubeless ready" may not, in fact, be "tubeless compatible".

While the OP's rims may, in fact, be UST compatible, Compass doesn't specifically list their tires as being UST compatible.
Are BST and UST necessarily compatible with each other? One would hope that these standards are attempting to be backward-compatible with the common BSDs at least.

I'll expect the whole industry to adopt one standard around the same time the country goes to single-payer healthcare.
RUSA #7498
Old 05-11-18, 01:48 PM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Bikes: 2018 Rodriguez Custom Fixed Gear, 2017 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2015 Bianchi Pista, 2002 Fuji Robaix

Mentioned: 235 Post(s)
Quoted: 6844 Post(s)
Liked 736 Times in 469 Posts
Guitar Ted suspects that some tire manufacturers are hesitant to claim their tire is one standard or the other as it will limit sales.

These are probably splitting the difference between the UST and BST specs and trying to make tires which work with either type of rim.

Threads like this are the result.
Old 05-11-18, 01:55 PM
CliffordK

Originally Posted by ThermionicScott
Are BST and UST necessarily compatible with each other?

Nope,

As far as I can tell, they may work together, somewhat like putting duct tape on a vintage rim and popping on a tubeless tire may work, but there is no guarantee it will stay in place.

For safety's sake (and to prevent issues like this blowoff), one would expect companies to develop and adhere to standards.

It would be like getting Ford and Chevy tubeless rims, and Firestone and Michelin tubeless tires, and not quite knowing if one would work with the other. Yes, I know there are a plethora of tire sizes, but with few exceptions, the rim interface and bead lock are pretty universal.

The bicycle industry has too many standards.... or non-standards. But, say 1 1/8" stems and 31.8mm handlebars are pretty universal now. Yep, there are some older standards, but the 1 1/8 & 31.8 are taking over. Hopefully in the future there will be less need to worry about 25.6, 26.0, or 26.4 bars. Or 22.2 or 22.0 or 21.15 quills
Old 05-11-18, 02:28 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Engineers' joke: the great thing about standards is that there are so many to choose from!

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Old 05-11-18, 02:35 PM
Kapusta
Advanced Slacker

Bikes: Soma Fog Cutter, Surly Wednesday, Canfielld Tilt

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2761 Post(s)
Liked 2,534 Times in 1,433 Posts
It is really a bummer all I am reading about issues with Compass tubeless.

I am on my 3rd set of Compass Tires. Stampede Pass, then Bon Jon Pass, and now Barlow Pass. All extralight.

I have looooooved them all. IMO they live up to every once of their hype and then some.

For my last wheelset, I got them built with WTB KOM i21 rims, so I could try tubeless, and I got the Barlow Pass tires planning to run them tubeless. I got them last fall, but just never got around to setting them up.

I planned to set them up this weekend, but when I googled info on setting up Compass tubeless, I read nothing but problems. And then an hour later this theead pops up.

Guess I’ll stick with tubes for now.

Been running tubeless on my MTB for many years with zero issues and easy setup with a floor pump every time.
Old 05-11-18, 02:53 PM
chas58

Bikes: too many of all kinds

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Quoted: 1147 Post(s)
Liked 415 Times in 335 Posts
Yeah, I have too many bikes to run them all tubless. Its pretty much required for anything I'm going to run at low pressure on a rough surface - to prevent pinch flats. Tires these days are so good, it is rare I get an actual puncture on a good tire.

OH,
Reminds me of doing support for engineers at my previous job.
Yeah back in the early days of the net, a co-worker went to the white house web site. But he typed in whitehouse.com. He wasn't expecting what came up. Now that site is blocked at work. It should be whitehouse.gov

Originally Posted by noglider
Engineers' joke: the great thing about standards is that there are so many to choose from!
and my implementation of standards is better than yours - I have the customization to prove it!
Old 05-11-18, 03:22 PM
ThermionicScott 
working on my sandal tan

Discussions about standards aside, it seems like one should be able to determine whether a combination of parts in hand will work without excessive danger.

A somewhat snug fit of the tire bead is desired here, if you are able to push a deflated but still mounted tire bead off the bead seat and into the well without any resistance, it's probably not tight enough for tubeless, right? So you could install the recommended amount of rim tape (usually two layers) to the bare rim, install the tire with a regular tube, and inflate/deflate. Test pushing the tire bead away from the edge of the rim, and if it's too loosey-goosey, add another layer of rim tape as recommended by Jan/Compass. Once you're satisfied with the fit of the bead you can try setting it up tubeless. Put in the eye protection and earplugs, and take the pressure up to the manufacturer's recommended max. Assuming that works, go a little beyond, looking for evidence that the tire is creeping. Sort of like finding out how far you can push a set of old straight-sided rims, really.

This is all with the caveat that I haven't actually played around with tubeless, myself. Not against it, just haven't gotten around to it yet.
RUSA #7498
Old 05-11-18, 04:19 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

@chas58, good one.

Old 05-11-18, 05:40 PM
DrIsotope
Non omnino gravis

Bikes: Nekobasu, Pandicorn, Lakitu

Mentioned: 119 Post(s)
Quoted: 4905 Post(s)
Liked 1,731 Times in 958 Posts
I had a 700x35 Panaracer Gravelking SK do the exact same thing, only I was doing about 20mph and my hoop ended up costing me about $90 to replace. Panaracer replaced the tire no questions asked, and I never even thought to bother them about the rim-- these are the costs of cycling. Lost a 700x35 Hutchinson Overide to a pair of drywall screws just a few months later. These things happen. I've had four tire failures (all different brands, no less) just this year.

I have probably around 1,000 miles on tubeless Gravelkings since-- just because one tire was defective doesn't mean they'll all be. I wouldn't boycott Compass because they initially didn't want to pay for the damaged rim. I wouldn't buy from them in the first place, because an $82 tire is just madness. The tires on my car didn't cost $82 each, and they're 245mm wide and last 30,000 miles.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.